IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

14 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Without opening a huge can of worms, I'll ask the question - What do you think consumers should know?

They should know, without going into details, that there is a large amount of scientifically-founded critique on MQA's technology and on its alleged usefulness. And this critique comes from, not lab-coats, but people who actually care about sound, about music, about the industry.

They should be asked if they really want (to pay for) a locked-in format based on such a technology.

But you really don't want to go into technicalities, because that will go in no time down the rabbit hole, losing 99% of the audience in the process. It doesn't matter if it is 18 bits or not. It does not matter if it is lossy, lossless, or 'subjectively lossless'.

We've been through this before. If not here then on another forum. What MQA call

'dispersion' is any widening of a channel's impulse response, be it linear phase

or not. They fight it by replacing all filters in the channel with slow roll-off filters,

in some cases even no filters, in order to obtain a more compact impulse response.

This happens at the cost of aliasing and imaging, something they claim to keep below levels

of audibility.

In principle they also provide for correction of ills of the original recording gear, but we all

know that this is not really done, and in the few cases where it is done, it amounts to

the sort of care anyone competent can (should?) apply in a restoration and remastering

project.

But this is off-topic and this discussion can better be held elsewhere.

8 hours ago, adamdea said:

And the gap is because they were conventionally brickwalled at 20 kHz or so when originally produced? 

I would say unconventionally brickwalled, because most ADCs or SRC tools (used in default mode) would run up to 22.05kHz (and a bit beyond).

8 minutes ago, firedog said:

My understanding is that when MQA encodes a file that is higher res than a 24-48, it only encodes material up to 48k, and throws the higher frequencies away as "perceptually lossless".  That's one of the reasons it is "lossy". So for a 88, 96,176, 192,etc., it is discarding material above 48k if it is there. 

Up to 48k payload, that is, 96k sample rate.

52 minutes ago, Shadorne said:

- so phase relationships are very important and should be preserved as accurately as possible in a high fidelity system.

So you are audibly aware of the attrocious phase distortion caused by your speaker’s tweeters?

Anyway, for 2x material and higher MQA does not introduce phase distortion in the audible band. Their filters may be MPish, but they operate at higher frequencies and are very shallow.

1x rate may be a different story, but that is bound to be dominated by the huge imaging caused by MQA, and subsequent system IMD.

28 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Can you provide the reference where MQA state ringing is blur ?. Thanks.

As you have been told countless times, here and in other forums,  MQA are crusading against wiggly impulse responses and wide impulse responses. You only have to pick up the earliest papers on this topic by Peter Craven, and start connecting the dots from there on.

I am sorry I don't know by heart which year this started, but it is a bloody while ago.

35 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Being told is not proof. You need to present the proof which contradicts the MQA AES paper, page 3.

image.thumb.png.88cd10d00d1fa9fe88d3cfb46c170e5e.png

This is from 2015, but Craven was hammering on this as early as 2004. It is the log(magnitude) of a channel's impulse response versus time. Conventional filters result in a wide response, described by BS as 'blurred' or 'dispersed', whereas short (but weak) filters have a narrow response. Whether these short filters are MP or LP is of secondary importance, although BS has a preference for MP as this shortens the attack side of the response even more.

Brought to you thanks to CA's copy-paste support. I really really wasn't prepared to find an external host to upload and link this image ...

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

It bears mentioning that nobody besides MQA has ever used such a plot. It provides no useful information.

You mean "nobody besides the people who are now MQA".

Likewise 'Shannon diagram' and 'Shannon space' also are not established terms.

MQA really built its own playground and expects the world to join in.

8 hours ago, Shadorne said:

Yes this shows what an apodizing filter does.

Not at all.

The blue curve is a regular filter for 48kHz.

The brown curve is a regular filter for 192kHz.

The orange curve us MQA-style. It is narrow because it is hardly filtering at all.

All other curves are the response of air at different distances from the source.

Where do you see apodising in this picture?

• 3 weeks later...

People should learn to read properly.

Carver is not talking about your and mine MQA files. He is talking about specially-prepared early demo files:

"What you hear when you download a Tidal Master-encoded song is definitely not what audio reviewers heard during initial demos and wrote about a year ago. The original sample tracks — I call them “MQA-1” — were clearly stated to be “on loan” with instructions to return them to the company or destroy the files when finished.
I was fortunate enough to get access to some of these files.
I had been struck by journalists’ exclamations of great sound and I had to agree when I critically listened to MQA-1.
Based on the descriptions, I concluded thatMQA-1 used a mild form of my Sonic Holography,"

Not that I believe him. These are more the ramblings of a paranoid, or someone desperate to get into the limelight again.