IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

1 hour ago, esldude said:

And are we not off topic unless we declare everything tastes the same?  I just hope it doesn't all taste like chicken, I don't care for chicken. 

This really is the same discussion ... the details don't matter ... we have different power supplies, we have different formats, we have different ingredients ... ?

Heck I bet that we even have objections to Peking duck with wheat wrappers ... not authentic ?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

38 minutes ago, jabbr said:

This really is the same discussion ... the details don't matter ... we have different power supplies, we have different formats, we have different ingredients ... ?

Heck I bet that we even have objections to Peking duck with wheat wrappers ... not authentic ?

Yes that is the point of my post.  Maybe our normal discussions are maladaptive.  The pizza discussion uncovered it for me. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, esldude said:

I just hope it doesn't all taste like chicken, I don't care for chicken.  

Any food that Charlie Parker was named after is OK with me.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

29 minutes ago, Andyman said:

Well, there's the Chequers plan...

And Scottish independence.....

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

Haggis pizza?

Why not, preferably deep fried.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

16 hours ago, lucretius said:

http://time.com/4814056/hawaiian-pizza-pineapple-sam-panopoulos-death/

I spent my whole life in southern Ontario and have never seen a "Hawaiian pizza" with Canadian Bacon (better known as peameal bacon), only ham. I suppose somewhere, sometime, someone substituted Canadian bacon for ham.

I guess you're right. It used to be Canadian bacon, today, it seems t be ham. A quick check of a number of pizza parlors shows ham.

George

14 hours ago, esldude said:

This purist talk of various versions of non-authentic pizza is convincing me the audiophile mindset is pathological.  

I know someone who spent big bucks to get the finest wood fired oven (oak wood I believe) and trained to cook proper purist highest quality Neopolitan pizza.  And it is something special.  But I can also enjoy the heck out of a well done Chicago style deep dish.  Plus I'll admit first hearing about pineapple on pizza seemed inherently wrong.  Tasting it changed my mind.  

So us audiophile's cannot get along with proletarian pizza's without ending up in some involved contentious discussion about pure pizza methods and expensive ways to accomplish that?   Wow, what a sad bunch of losers we are.

And are we not off topic unless we declare everything tastes the same?  I just hope it doesn't all taste like chicken, I don't care for chicken.  

I'm not sure that's correct. While I love a real Neapolitan Margharita,, I also love a good NY style pie, and have been known to order delivery from Dominos, Pizza-Hut, and Roundtable. Not great, surely, but when you're hungry....

George

22 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

I saw McDonald's on the Av. des Champs-Élysées in Paris 35 years ago, and the line was out the door. This surprised me. Either it was an "American novelty" back then, or there for the benefit of foreign tourists too intimidated to appreciate the unique local cuisine. I have a friend like that and it ultimately cost him his first marriage. His wife was a gourmet cook. His favorite food is hot dogs. She remarried someone more sophisticated, and moved to Switzerland, and he's now on wife #3.

France is  McDonalds' second best market after the US  and it is very successful there. France is not the same as it was 40 years ago.
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-mcdonalds-conquered-france-2014-8?op=1

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/01/24/145698222/why-mcdonalds-in-france-doesnt-feel-like-fast-food

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_in_the_United_States

Other than going to Naples and getting a "traditional" style pie, you'd have a hard time saying what an "authentic" pizza is anymore. Even in Italy they've been influenced by NY and other US style pizzas. 

Clearly it evolved in the US and immigrants from Italy were some of those that pushed the evolution (inventing Chicago style is one example). 
It is sort of like audio, IMO - whatever you like is good. You don't have to justify your taste to anyone.

Well. let's say that whatever you like is good for YOU. The best that can be said is that "there's no accounting for taste."

I ate my first pizza Margharita at "Da Michele" pizzeria in Naples, the supposed home of the original Margharita in the 1880s, so I know one when I taste one. There are actually a number Neapolitan pizzerias that have opened in the US that do a creditable job. They use the right flour: Caputo high protein, they use canned imported San Marzzeto tomatoes, fresh basil, and many of them make their own mozzarella cheese. The only thing different is that it's cows milk cheese not buffalo milk cheese. Not that much difference,

George

1 hour ago, firedog said:

France is  McDonalds' second best market after the US  and it is very successful there. France is not the same as it was 40 years ago.
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-mcdonalds-conquered-france-2014-8?op=1

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/01/24/145698222/why-mcdonalds-in-france-doesnt-feel-like-fast-food

It called entropy, and it's occurring everywhere.

George

25 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Well. let's say that whatever you like is good for YOU.

Well not good for my waistline!  I have been trying to stay away from pizza--and no I need to stay away from this thread because you guys keep making me hungry with all these posts.  Can't we go back to comparing clock radios to hi-fi?  At least I don't imagine eating either.  x-D

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I ate my first pizza Margharita at "Da Michele" pizzeria in Naples, the supposed home of the original Margharita in the 1880s, so I know one when I taste one. There are actually a number Neapolitan pizzerias that have opened in the US that do a creditable job. They use the right flour: Caputo high protein, they use canned imported San Marzzeto tomatoes, fresh basil, and many of them make their own mozzarella cheese. The only thing different is that it's cows milk cheese not buffalo milk cheese. Not that much difference,

head north to here & I'll buy you a Neapolitan certified pizza at the place in town - you can rate it (subjectively or objectively) or just post your taste impressions

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Well. let's say that whatever you like is good for YOU. The best that can be said is that "there's no accounting for taste."

Believe it or not, there is a buffalo farm in NJ, and a couple of the better pizzarias around here do use buffalo mozz. It does taste really good.

Regarding coal-fired pizza ovens, this trend started in the NYC area around 15 years ago at Lombardi's. This is not uncommon all over NY and NJ now.