IGNORED

Audiophilia Syndrome

3 hours ago, Nordkapp said:

Yeah, but still not a beemer....Sorry. 

Well, this is not a beemer either:

800px-Mazda_787B_at_Le_Mans_2011.jpg

As for MX-5, just found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ3x462rlmg

7:58?! Jeez... That actually calls into question the 8:20 time from the Subaru BRZ posted earlier. The guy claims the car's stock with tire and brake pad upgrade only. I've only ever blipped the throttle on a stock Toyota 86. The engine seems to be a lot less eager to rev up than one with TRD intake and exhaust. Have to wonder what kind of time an 86 seriously loaded with TRD parts could do in the hands of skilled (neurotypical 9_9) driver...

3 hours ago, rando said:

@accwai The next Ring video I watched was a best of '17 that featured a guy in a convertible McLaren with his toddler in a front facing baby seat.  Talk about surreal.

That just goes to prove beyond a doubt that some people do have more money than brain :(

38 minutes ago, accwai said:

Well, this is not a beemer either:

800px-Mazda_787B_at_Le_Mans_2011.jpg

As for MX-5, just found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ3x462rlmg

7:58?! Jeez... That actually calls into question the 8:20 time from the Subaru BRZ posted earlier. The guy claims the car's stock with tire and brake pad upgrade only. I've only ever blipped the throttle on a stock Toyota 86. The engine seems to be a lot less eager to rev up than one with TRD intake and exhaust. Have to wonder what kind of time an 86 seriously loaded with TRD parts could do in the hands of skilled (neurotypical 9_9) driver...

That high-end Porsche was slowing him down... Find a good base to modify and you'll be fighting up there with the big guys.

Of course the man's got amazing hands.

Here's another example of David beating High-End Goliases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nfK41KvzTE

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

14 hours ago, semente said:

That high-end Porsche was slowing him down...

Yeah, the guy got held up by the Porsche in corners and then the Porsche took off in the straights. The Porsche just can't shake the guy though. He would catch back up at the next corner and the Porsche held him up again. No wonder he's doing this kind of lap time. Some people are just too scary, beemer or Mazda or whatever O.o

18 hours ago, rando said:

@accwai The next Ring video I watched was a best of '17 that featured a guy in a convertible McLaren with his toddler in a front facing baby seat.  Talk about surreal.

Actually it's probably not as bad as initially thought. It's been a long time since I had a toddler seat in my car. Thinking back, the good ones are solidly anchored to the car and have their own five point harness for the child. But there's still no way I would drive a toddler around a track in a convertible.

Which reminds me: My wife's cousin has a two year old boy that's a real handful. The little guy seems to instinctively know the worst moment to make trouble for his parents. There is no way I'll drive the guy around town even :D

2 hours ago, accwai said:

Actually it's probably not as bad as initially thought. It's been a long time since I had a toddler seat in my car. Thinking back, the good ones are solidly anchored to the car and have their own five point harness for the child. But there's still no way I would drive a toddler around a track in a convertible.

Somewhere in the upper tier of concerns lies front and side curtain airbags.  Of course they could have pulled the fuse or somehow overrode that.  There are still way too many reasons this is not how to foster the next generation.

10 hours ago, rando said:

Somewhere in the upper tier of concerns lies front and side curtain airbags.  Of course they could have pulled the fuse or somehow overrode that.  There are still way too many reasons this is not how to foster the next generation.

Oh I see. This kind of thing hasn't crossed my mind for quite a while. Toyotas have weight sensor under the front seats and would automatically decide to switch off the passenger side airbag when it thinks the front passenger isn't heavy enough to be an adult. But the manual still says install front facing carseat at the front only when totally unavailable. With a 2+2, at least one can stuff the child into the back. Not so in a McLaren though. Such is the advantage of cheap cars :D

By the way, just noticed this video:

Guess who makes the most appearances here? x-D

10 minutes ago, semente said:

What's the point of drifting?

It looks impressive, but it's a really old-fashioned way of cornering, devised at the dawn of automobile racing. While a young Stirling Moss looked real good drifting a lightweight Jag XK-120 around Donnington Park in 1950, it's now the slowest way to get around a corner. I don't get the appeal. But then I don't get drag racing either, so what do I know? 

George

As this has been a run of videos already I will give forth a window into what drifting is really about.  The cops in major cities with predominately warm weather patterns year round got pretty good at shutting down road racing that depended on illegally blocking off large tracts of city street.  Shuttering yourselves into an inner city parking lot with jersey barriers or just shutting down a rush hour freeway with a sideshow is a much lower risk of arrest high risk behavior.  Observe.

That isn't exactly race track or open street drifting,  It is pretty much what the stigma really being sold around it is centered on.  If you can't stomach old rally footage with spectators getting injured don't click here.  Crazy close to crazy driving with crazy parting going on until the cops show.

57 minutes ago, rando said:

As this has been a run of videos already I will give forth a window into what drifting is really about.  The cops in major cities with predominately warm weather patterns year round got pretty good at shutting down road racing that depended on illegally blocking off large tracts of city street.  Shuttering yourselves into an inner city parking lot with jersey barriers or just shutting down a rush hour freeway with a sideshow is a much lower risk of arrest high risk behavior.  Observe. [...]

Hmm... I don't know. For me, this is more of what drifting is about:

There is a certain beauty and elegance in the whole thing.

KB and his personal brands producing reality tv webshows are great for getting a large crowd in every city to stand around 5 hours to witness 30 minutes of driving on the stadium big screen and 4 hours of some canned personality talking about *product*.   You wouldn't have recognized him in his gold teeth days.  

I'm not advocating anything unsavory by way of seguing from common people testing their skillset on the Ring.  This is where the action is in drifting whether you go to a legal permitted, but still very dodgy, event or park your donk at the curb and walk in.  In other words, not my thing but at least see it for what it is.  Everyone who lacks 200K drift cars, a full team of mechanics, and ability to rent a track for the day mixing in with those that have decent cars.  Very similar to the Ring videos only nothing like that.  :)

8 hours ago, gmgraves said:

It looks impressive, but it's a really old-fashioned way of cornering, devised at the dawn of automobile racing. While a young Stirling Moss looked real good drifting a lightweight Jag XK-120 around Donnington Park in 1950, it's now the slowest way to get around a corner. I don't get the appeal. But then I don't get drag racing either, so what do I know? 

Yes, drag racing is just moronic...

But drifting wastes time and tires, it's got no place in race-driving.

It was probably made popular by MTV, that great bastion of refined culture...

15 hours ago, semente said:

Yes, drag racing is just moronic...

But drifting wastes time and tires, it's got no place in race-driving.

It was probably made popular by MTV, that great bastion of refined culture...

If so, it was Japanese MTV. Our Japanese friends came up with the "sport"!

George

13 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

If so, it was Japanese MTV. Our Japanese friends came up with the "sport"!

Drifting makes sense in snow or gravel rallying or at the Trophée Andros, not on tarmac: