IGNORED

Audiophilia Syndrome

17 minutes ago, semente said:

Drifting makes sense in snow or gravel rallying or at the Trophée Andros, not on tarmac:

You can't help it on snow or gravel because, like cars of yore, with their narrow cross-ply tires, cars driving on snow and gravel have no grip! The reason why modern racing and rally cars don't drift on tarmac or concrete is because today's tires and suspensions provide a very high degree of grip. Modern cars just "drive" around corners at high speed. If you know to pick a high-grip line on a paved road it's fairly easy - even with the modern family car. 

George

2 minutes ago, rando said:

Rallying in poor conditions is just sliding around barely in control.  Don't make me track down video evidence of Amish horse cart drifting.  :P

That's easy to show. Just watch the chariot race sequence from Ben-Hur (the real one, from 1959, not the 2014 abomination). You can easily see the chariots drifting behind the horses. While your there, give a listen to some of Miklos Rozsa's incredible music score for the film. It's one of the best ever written and it's gorgeous!

George

16 hours ago, gmgraves said:

That's easy to show. Just watch the chariot race sequence from Ben-Hur (the real one, from 1959, not the 2014 abomination). You can easily see the chariots drifting behind the horses. While your there, give a listen to some of Miklos Rozsa's incredible music score for the film. It's one of the best ever written and it's gorgeous!

I thought the real one was from 1925

You are not a sound quality measurement device

Initial-A was always going to be a hard one to sell here.  :)

If any of you have the chance to do a drift skills competition at your local autocross course it will be a blast.  Normally they use balloons or something non-marring to judge how precise your control over the clipping point is.  Eating cones does cause damage.  

Cars seem to be a hot topic lately.  I about put a younger guy on the floor today.  He was all hot on how nice hopping into his own personal autonomous car after a night out drinking would be.  Forgoing the buildup and run in, reminding him his ancestors had just that and it was called a horse that knew its way home had amazing consequences.  

I do though see great benefits in self driving cars and drunk drivers.  Right now the fully autonomous Tesla will, if you get in it and don't tell it to go anyplace but activate it somehow, will go ahead and drive you home.  That is a good side effect of the car that will impact DUIs and crashes, I hope.

No electron left behind.

23 hours ago, gmgraves said:

You can't help it on snow or gravel because, like cars of yore, with their narrow cross-ply tires, cars driving on snow and gravel have no grip! The reason why modern racing and rally cars don't drift on tarmac or concrete is because today's tires and suspensions provide a very high degree of grip. Modern cars just "drive" around corners at high speed. If you know to pick a high-grip line on a paved road it's fairly easy - even with the modern family car. 

Oh, modern cars slip, even modern race cars.  In fact a tire gets its maximum traction right at the point where it is sliding ever so slightly. Watch race cars go around corners in slow motion and you will see the sliding, especially something other than F1.  Sports car racing is a very good place to see it.

No electron left behind.

Go ahead and ignore the bumps in the final turn at Sebring, those don't count when it gets the car airborne.  But you can see the cars slip and slide around corners here, just as a matter of getting around the corner, not crashing or doing anything crazy.

No electron left behind.

51 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Oh, modern cars slip, even modern race cars.  In fact a tire gets its maximum traction right at the point where it is sliding ever so slightly. Watch race cars go around corners in slow motion and you will see the sliding, especially something other than F1.  Sports car racing is a very good place to see it.

Nobody said they didn't!

George

55 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Is there such a thing as an audiophile-grade car audio system? The accoustic environment of an automobile seems to suggest “no”.

That's a bout the size of it. I've seen people try everything (including tube amplifiers in cars), but you're lucky to just get a car system that doesn't sound awful. Even the expensive car stereo's in cars like Bentley's and Rolls Royces or bespoke systems wouldn't qualify as high-end in my estimation. 

George

On 3/28/2018 at 5:23 PM, gmgraves said:

Oh?

No electron left behind.

To be fair aerodynamics, ie downforce, are accounted for in modern tire designs.  If it wasn't for that balance of downforce and inertia the car would barrel roll.

In the days of yore you full on slid or kept going straight.  Much as you do in mud or snow/ice.

42 minutes ago, rando said:

To be fair aerodynamics, ie downforce, are accounted for in modern tire designs.  If it wasn't for that balance of downforce and inertia the car would barrel roll.

In the days of yore you full on slid or kept going straight.  Much as you do in mud or snow/ice.

Show me a normal road car that makes appreciable downforce at legal road speeds...

Also, show me the car that will do a barrel roll...

aileron-roll-barrel-roll-differences.jpg

No electron left behind.

On 2018-03-25 at 6:37 PM, GUTB said:

My gear is high-performance, but no it doesn't raise to the level of SOTA.

No, I didn’t ask what you thought about your own audio gear, and you know it. I’m asking if you believe that the mid-fi audio gear you have are considered high end to those that owns real state of the art audio gear?

20 minutes ago, Summit said:

No, I didn’t ask what you thought about your own audio gear, and you know it. I’m asking if you believe that the mid-fi audio gear you have are considered high end to those that owns real state of the art audio gear?

You asked me about performance and SOTA. It's high-performance but not SOTA. I would classify most of the components as mid-fi. I don't understand your complaint.

32 minutes ago, GUTB said:

You asked me about performance and SOTA. It's high-performance but not SOTA. I would classify most of the components as mid-fi. I don't understand your complaint.

You don’t understand? You have mid-fi gear, at best, and are constantly complaining and saying that what others have sucks and everything that’s you consider are below your SQ threshold, preference or type of design. I just turn the light on your system and gear and wonder if you actually think that those people that really have SOTA systems built around Wilson, Magico and Marten etc would agree with you that you have a High End system. I very much doubt it.

No need to repeatedly say that everything that you don’t like sucks, if it’s not actually sound bad, bad as in I can’t stand listening to it because I get a headache or something.  

Being aware the water not very far below your feet is trying to suck you down has as much validity as realizing high salt content is trying to push you up.  If all anyone here was interested in was talking to someone residing in their own pool the clubs portion of the site would actually be active.  ;)

6 hours ago, Summit said:

You don’t understand? You have mid-fi gear, at best, and are constantly complaining and saying that what others have sucks and everything that’s you consider are below your SQ threshold, preference or type of design. I just turn the light on your system and gear and wonder if you actually think that those people that really have SOTA systems built around Wilson, Magico and Marten etc would agree with you that you have a High End system. I very much doubt it.

No need to repeatedly say that everything that you don’t like sucks, if it’s not actually sound bad, bad as in I can’t stand listening to it because I get a headache or something.  

I’ve said that class D and consumer-grade gear sucks. That’s the truth. I never once put my $15k system in the same category as a $50-100k system. Your issue doesn’t seem reality-based. Do you have a lo-if system and feel insulted?