IGNORED

Audiophilia Syndrome

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Again, you're just picking an arbitrary distinction and presuming to know what others think. I may not fit your definition of audiophile, but I am, and have been for 30+ years. Because I understand something about the underlying technology and chose my components carefully and deliberately does not make me less of an audiophile than you or GUTB. 

Now, if you were to call me an audiophiliac then I may have to disagree. I've recovered from that disease a long time ago  ;)

I note that your system is built from a basis of audiophile experiences -- the selection of a well-regarded A/B amp, a real DAC, and highly well-regarded speakers...

NOTE: My own experience with the Thiel 1.5s have been overall positive; their metal cones aren't as bad as I feared they may be, and I actually like their signature well enough. They provide even more stage than the $2.5k Fritz Carbon VII SEs (which are also 1st order crossover designs), perhaps thanks to the geometry of the tweeters.

Those are the signs of an audiophile, except for the focusing on the inexpensive side of things, which may or not be a sign of not being an audiophile. Not having a preamp seriously calls your audiophile credentials into question, but that may just be lack of experience born out of a focus on trying to achieve maximum value.

On 3/16/2018 at 6:21 PM, Ralf11 said:

Audiophila Syndrome - first recognized in DSM 3.666 characterized by obsessive behavior related to collecting electronic devices, esp. cables, and a highly narrowed focus on a very small number of musical selections thought by Pt. to exemplify “good sound” or “high fidelity.”

Audiophilia Disorder is currently classified as a personality disorder characterized by a general pattern of excessive concern with orderliness of electrical cables, perfectionism, excessive attention to details such as contact cleanliness, mental and interpersonal control, and a need for control over one's listening environment, at the expense of flexibility, openness to musical forms, and efficiency.

Diagnoisis:  A clear diagnosis will be obtained whenever a pt. complains “It is never good enough.”  Pt. typically denies any problem or disorder, and may evince extreme limbic system flareups if moderation is suggested or esp. if anyone challenges “What their ears hear.”  Pt. typically denies any disorder; often maintains “I can spend my money any way I want, etc.”  In extreme cases, divorce and homelessness may follow.

Unknown pathogenesis, but is inversely correlated with actual knowledge of acoustics or electronics.  Thus is rarely found in engineers or scientists (except social “scientists”).  Incidence may be correlated with belief in other fallacious notions, such as vaccine diseases, flat-eartherism,  or scientology.

Extreme psychopathology esp. with respect to “Analog” or “Cableism” is associated with Munchausen syndrome

Audiophilia Disorder was formerly considered merely a form of Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder with a strong focus on “perfectionism,” but work by Dr. Kraft-Ebiis-Ebfield on Cluster B pts. (Histrionic/Narcissistic spectrum) led to separation of Audiophilia into a separate Disorder, tho with strong Comorbidity.

Genetics: unknown, but a significant association with various abnormalities of the Y-chromosome has been noted.

Treatment: Phlogiston baths may be indicated, depending on clinical experience

In mild cases, behavioral therapy may be indicated, such as allowing play behavior with a new turntable or digital noise reduction device.  Therapy is enhanced if the therapist or other trusted person (“reviewer”) assures Pt. that new technology is involved.

Treatment, more re advanced cases:  Disorder often progresses to an advanced state with age and hearing loss or tinnitus.  In such cases, pre-frontal lobotomy was formerly used, but is now dis-favored.  Judicious administration of Antipsychotics may be effective, but agranulocytosis is common.

Alternative Therapies: Chinese medical herbs have been used with minimal success; the best results have been obtained by exposure to strong Chinese gong noise, although consequent hearing damage may result

image.png

On 3/17/2018 at 6:45 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

If we can’t make fun of ourselves, we are in trouble. 

Good effort Ralf. 

On 3/17/2018 at 9:46 AM, accwai said:

Interesting perspective Chris! Would you mind elaborating a little on the making fun of ourselves part? The OP has never exhibit any of the symptoms he described in the first post above. So in your view, are "we" in trouble or not?

On 3/22/2018 at 11:20 AM, audiobomber said:

Some people's hobby is trolling on the internet. I believe the initial post in this thread is a good example. 

On 3/22/2018 at 12:39 PM, audiobomber said:

Your objection would be correct, if Ralf11 had audiophile tendencies. He does not, in fact his main reason for being here seems to be to tell people they can't possibly hear what they say they hear, that they are wasting money on wires and other nonsense and they reject science. He is an anti-audiophile, therefore the point of the thread is to taunt.

This shouldn't be too hard to sort out. ralf11, were you laughing at your own behavior in your OP? Were you including yourself? If not was it just meant as completely innocuous light-hearted humor or does it point toward serious, perhaps even scathing criticisms of some (much? most?) "audiophile" behavior? 

25 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I note that your system is built from a basis of audiophile experiences -- the selection of a well-regarded A/B amp, a real DAC, and highly well-regarded speakers...

NOTE: My own experience with the Thiel 1.5s have been overall positive; their metal cones aren't as bad as I feared they may be, and I actually like their signature well enough. They provide even more stage than the $2.5k Fritz Carbon VII SEs (which are also 1st order crossover designs), perhaps thanks to the geometry of the tweeters.

Those are the signs of an audiophile, except for the focusing on the inexpensive side of things, which may or not be a sign of not being an audiophile. Not having a preamp seriously calls your audiophile credentials into question, but that may just be lack of experience born out of a focus on trying to achieve maximum value.

A post like this seriously calls your neurotypical credentials into question.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

9 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I’m definitely neurotypical, 100%

Using this term to refer to yourself suggests that you probably aren't.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

You're too funny! I suggest you and your fans have a formal meeting and a vote to determine if I am or I am not an audiophile, as you appear conflicted on the subject.

21 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

There are certainly folks at both extremes. What I often find is that the people near the middle get pushed into one of the extreme groups, just because it makes it easier to classify them this way. That's not fair to them.

That's assuming most would care all that much about how they're labelled and whether the labels are fair to them.

Besides, it's a big world out there. People who are far beyond the stereotypes could also exist. Audiophools that only play a handful of approved recordings to show off their system eh? Sure, but there are also those with audio system, music collection *and* musical instrument collection of gigantic proportion. Contrary to popular belief, they also have the necessary knowledge to use that stuff real hard. And they've been around enough to have contact with people with even larger collection than theirs and they're perfectly comfortable with that.

The obsessives are the ones fuzzing over the labels and counter-labels. Whatever rocks your boat eh... x-D

1 hour ago, accwai said:

That's assuming most would care all that much about how they're labelled and whether the labels are fair to them.

Besides, it's a big world out there. People who are far beyond the stereotypes could also exist. Audiophools that only play a handful of approved recordings to show off their system eh? Sure, but there are also those with audio system, music collection *and* musical instrument collection of gigantic proportion. Contrary to popular belief, they also have the necessary knowledge to use that stuff real hard. And they've been around enough to have contact with people with even larger collection than theirs and they're perfectly comfortable with that.

The obsessives are the ones fuzzing over the labels and counter-labels. Whatever rocks your boat eh... x-D

It's not the labels that bother me, it's the assumptions that are then made about people based on these labels. 

23 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Digital audio IS just ones and zeroes (of course, it has to be turned into analog)

expensive cables ARE foolish - you can get different sounds from inexpensive cables however

It's my understanding that USB determines whether it's a 1 or a 0 by changes in voltage. While I don't personally believe that I hear differences in USB cables, if that's true, it leaves open to me at least the possibility that there could be differences.

It's said that BMWs are "drivers' cars". In the neutortypical sense, "drivers" in this context refers to people who value the thrill of driving a high-performance vehicle.

If someone comes along with a Mazda, can he call himself a "driver"? The thrill aspect is subjective, right?

The answer is...no. Subjectivity is often used to hide objective facts. In the realm of human behavior and psychological response, out of the billions of people populating the Earth objective realities can arise as generalities. BMWs are high-performance cars, and Mazdas are not -- everyone knows this. "Everyone" is generality, but a meaningful one. We all simply intuit the fact; arguments using subjective stances are really just efforts to deny the thing everyone already knows.

Audiophiles in the neurotypical sense just means someone who values high-performance audio.

26 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

It's my understanding that USB determines whether it's a 1 or a 0 by changes in voltage. While I don't personally believe that I hear differences in USB cables, if that's true, it leaves open to me at least the possibility that there could be differences.

USB encodes a zero a change in (differential) voltage and a one as no change. The protocol ensures that there are always enough zeros that the receiver can lock onto the clock. Any cable providing rise and fall times within specified limits will work equally well.

1 hour ago, daverich4 said:

the real issue with USB is noise transmission & the need for galvanic isolation

7 hours ago, GUTB said:

It's said that BMWs are "drivers' cars". In the neutortypical sense, "drivers" in this context refers to people who value the thrill of driving a high-performance vehicle. [...]

Hmm... Have to remember that. I've always been drooling over McLaren 540C. They look fabulous in the streets around here. It's supposed to be really great everyday driver.

6 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

[...] high performance driving is driving at the limit allowed by the automobile and can be done in a Toyota or in a Ferrari. [...]

Speaking of Toyota, would an 86 with TRD intake/exhaust/brake/suspension parts be up to the neurotypical standards? Seems to move along adequately. But I've never been really picky. By the way, what kind of lap time at Nürburgring Nordschleife are neurotypicals looking for? Would 8:20 be considered Ok?

1 hour ago, accwai said:

Hmm... Have to remember that. I've always been drooling over McLaren 540C. They look fabulous in the streets around here. It's supposed to be really great everyday driver.

Speaking of Toyota, would an 86 with TRD intake/exhaust/brake/suspension parts be up to the neurotypical standards? Seems to move along adequately. But I've never been really picky. By the way, what kind of lap time at Nürburgring Nordschleife are neurotypicals looking for? Would 8:20 be considered Ok?

Classic!

15 hours ago, GUTB said:

It's said that BMWs are "drivers' cars". In the neutortypical sense, "drivers" in this context refers to people who value the thrill of driving a high-performance vehicle.

If someone comes along with a Mazda, can he call himself a "driver"? The thrill aspect is subjective, right?

The answer is...no. Subjectivity is often used to hide objective facts. In the realm of human behavior and psychological response, out of the billions of people populating the Earth objective realities can arise as generalities. BMWs are high-performance cars, and Mazdas are not -- everyone knows this. "Everyone" is generality, but a meaningful one. We all simply intuit the fact; arguments using subjective stances are really just efforts to deny the thing everyone already knows.

Audiophiles in the neurotypical sense just means someone who values high-performance audio.

A serious question. Do you believe that the audio gear you self-own are considered high-performance audio to those that owns SOTA audio gear?

7 hours ago, Summit said:

A serious question. Do you believe that the audio gear you self-own are considered high-performance audio to those that owns SOTA audio gear?

My gear is high-performance, but no it doesn't raise to the level of SOTA.