IGNORED

Finally...A basic DAC from Mytek

6 hours ago, exdmd said:

While USB input on both the DAC+ and Liberty was fine I eventually sold both because the sound quality on the Toslink in was very poor compared to USB. At both my home and office I have a television on my multimonitor stand connected to the DAC by Toslink. Optical in on both the Brooklyn DAC+ and Liberty was hard to listen to. Sound was thin with glare. Why Mytek could not make the SQ on optical in equal to USB is a mystery but I eventually replaced both units with a Yggdrasil and Bifrost. While I was easily able to hear the difference between most 44 and 96 files of the same recording I can't say the same when going from 96 to 192. I have both Tidal and Qobuz now and have the Tidal desktop player set to do the first unfold on MQA masters to 96. If a friend asks me my opinion of the Brooklyn DAC+ now I tell him to buy a Yggdrasil. Sound quality on all inputs is the same on Yggy and Bifrost.

I wonder what it could be. Jitter measurements are excellent. Toslink is perfectly isolated.

87440DAB-946D-46AB-AF00-FA50E5127BCA.thumb.jpeg.fcd1bb948e244ac1181933e14b7bf2ad.jpeg

3A88EB70-76E2-473C-9EA4-AAB568553D9C.thumb.jpeg.bcbcc5753ef7b4f7edf7cd20237fc0e4.jpeg

Who knows. I complained to Mytek about it and sent my DAC+ back for a bench test and they said it was working fine. Since both the Liberty and DAC+ had the same problem with optical in it must be a design flaw. If a Bifrost can sound the same on all inputs I would think Mytek would make sure their DACs do also. Considering you need to add a USB decrapifier and good LPS to get really decent sound with the DAC+ through USB the Yggdrasil is a bargain in comparison, especially since it is upgradeable.

11 hours ago, exdmd said:

Who knows. I complained to Mytek about it and sent my DAC+ back for a bench test and they said it was working fine. Since both the Liberty and DAC+ had the same problem with optical in it must be a design flaw. If a Bifrost can sound the same on all inputs I would think Mytek would make sure their DACs do also. Considering you need to add a USB decrapifier and good LPS to get really decent sound with the DAC+ through USB the Yggdrasil is a bargain in comparison, especially since it is upgradeable.

Interesting.

The Mytek stuff is very transparent studio/pro quality gear with fantastic measurements (as long as MQA filter is disabled/by-passed).

Good to read you're much happier with the Yggdrasil though. Life is short! Gotta enjoy the music.

17 hours ago, exdmd said:

Considering you need to add a USB decrapifier and good LPS to get really decent sound with the DAC+ through USB the Yggdrasil is a bargain in comparison, especially since it is upgradeable.

No USB decrapifier needed.  And whether a good LPS makes a practical difference depends on what's plugged intro the circuit and how dirty your power is.  I don't need to use an LPS.  OTOH, the Yggdrasil measures poorly:  https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/.

mQa is dead!

35 minutes ago, exdmd said:

I try to steer clear of Amir and his followers thanks...

I thought Amir was female based on her avatar. So am I wrong and Amir is a male? If so how does one explain her (his) avatar?

2.jpg

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

17 minutes ago, wgscott said:

<---- Full disclosure: This is not really me.

Oh, brother: It's all good, man.

So who is it? I have been curious why you appear to be wearing aluminum foil. 🤔

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

12 minutes ago, Teresa said:

RFI protection?

Been left out in the cold lately?

A “Better Call Saul” reference ? ( "Oh, brother: It's all good, man". ... “’sall good, man” ) a character that transitions over the course of that series

Sound Minds Mind Sound

@Teresa, there are few females that I am aware of on this forum (or other audio forums I frequent).  And the avatar is no indication of sex.  Many men use pictures of women in their avatars.  Actually, it's such a rampant practice that I've incorrectly assumed an actual female was male once or twice on head-fi.  

Not that sex matters one bit in the end, but it gets confusing when typing a pronoun in a post.  

thanks to @exdmd for pointing out the optical input on this DAC as being sub-par.  That is helpful information to know.

There are but two women at this website willing to speak up: Teresa and one Wendysire.  I know, ‘cause I once asked (“Calling all Women!”), then some guys got creepy and Chris shut the thread down, probably wisely.  The thread was surely a highpoint of CA in 2018 . . .

We also learned that some men select avatars that reflect their wildest romantic dreams.

As for Wendy, she had spunk and could dish it back with good humor.  I think she’s gone, alas.  It’s up to you Teresa.

2 hours ago, Teresa said:

What @Superdad said.

Also, he was the brother of Jimmy McGill, aka Saul Goodman.

It was a TV show series that was a spin-off of/prequel to Breaking Bad.

(Breaking Bad was recommended to me by the woman who sold me my speakers and first DAC/integrated amp. because she clearly thought I was another under-paid chemist. Then she tried to sell me MIT cables.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 7:10 PM, Miska said:

I don't have Brooklyn anymore and first thing I did was to disable MQA support. And during the short time I had it I didn't spend much time or effort with PCM inputs.

How did your Brooklyn (Plus?) measure when fed DSD256 via HQP?

Equally as good as RME ADI-2 DAC fed DSD256 via HQP?

Do you have your Brooklyn measurements that you can share.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:20 AM, Miska said:

This one doesn't! It is not Pro-series chip, it is the mobile chip model in first place... And it uses synchronous clocking (like some Mytek models) instead of the Sabre's ASRC.

Which Mytek models use synchronous clocking?

I saw for the Brooklyn:

"- unique Sabre master clocking feature allowed placing ultra low jitter 100MHz master clock 1/4” from the chip"

https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/Engineering_and_Design_Philosopy_of_Mytek_Brooklyn_DAC.pdf

5 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Which Mytek models use synchronous clocking?

I saw for the Brooklyn:

"- unique Sabre master clocking feature allowed placing ultra low jitter 100MHz master clock 1/4” from the chip"

https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/Engineering_and_Design_Philosopy_of_Mytek_Brooklyn_DAC.pdf

The old Stereo192-DSD DAC I have...

42 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

How did your Brooklyn (Plus?) measure when fed DSD256 via HQP?

Equally as good as RME ADI-2 DAC fed DSD256 via HQP?

Do you have your Brooklyn measurements that you can share.

I didn't have time to measure it and I don't have it anymore...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers