IGNORED

Finally...A basic DAC from Mytek

Had the Mytek Liberty for 2 days now. I am not a professional reviewer but I can report here with first impressions. Basically, I think it has a beautiful and smooth sound. Never heard another Mytek Dac but I think the Liberty, like the other Mytek and according to the reviews I saw, has a non-digital and grain-free sound. The other DAC I had before are Audiolab M-dac and Teac UD-501.

The Liberty appears to sound just a little bit warmer than neutral. It is not the "I hear details for the first time" type of DAC.  It is more the "musical" type and it is addictive at how it brings the global musical portrait.  Dynamics are good too, if not spectacular.  Soundstage is very good.

From a sonic point of view, the only restriction is what I think is  a slight roll-off in the high treble. To the defense of the Liberty here, my unit at this point only has 20 hours on it and I listened a lot with Sennheiser HD600 headphones, which are also smooth up there. The preamp used is a Rogue RP-1 which is rather on the warm side too.  So maybe the perceived treble roll-off is not the DAC's fault.

On the ergonomic side, the Liberty works well at switching beetween PCM, DSD and MQA, sounding even better with DSD files or MQA streamed from Tidal with Roon.

I was disapointed not to have a bypass option for the digital volume control in the control panel. If you use a line preamp, you have to make sure the digital volume is always to the maximum. I hope a future firmware will include the volume bypass.

For me, the headphone amp sounds poor and no effort should have made to include it.  I did not bother to try the preamp option.

Even with the stock PSU, the DAC does not run very hot and it is rather warm than hot to the touch.

Overall, a very good sounding DAC that I expect to keep for a long time.

Thanks @Nelson 32 I believe you are the first Mytek Liberty owner to post a review. If the Liberty is like my Brooklyn DAC+ suggest leave it on all the time and expect a break in period of a few weeks; sound quality will improve. At some point you may want to add an outboard LPS like Sbooster.

Thought I would chime in both the good and the bad as I owned it for about a month. This product is essentially a bare bones version of the Brooklyn. I have around 200 hours on it now (break in is ESSENTIAL) and absolutely love it. The sound went from dry, uninviting, "bad purchase" to pure joy. I first ran into my preamp but then changed to run directly into my amplifier which I prefer. My complaints are 1) you do not know the resolution of the file being played and 2) while running directly into the amplifier the volume must be set at 80 percent or higher to achieve peak SPL in the 90's. The headphone amp sounded excellent (probably addictive) with my Hifiman headphones but again needed at least 80 percent volume level. On two other cheaper headphones I tried the sound was awful. My sources are Tidal, Streaming FM radio and YouTube via a Windows laptop USB. A big surprise was how excellent streaming FM radio (WBGO jazz) sounded - I can listen all night. New digital recordings sound superb at redbook resolution - no great need for MQA. With older recordings MQA can be "magical" (Van Morrison, Nat King Cole, Beach Boys, David Bowie) - you would need a very pricey analog setup and along with select pressings to beat it. A friend who is an original Brooklyn owner loves the Liberty and feels it is at least as equal and maybe slightly better - not sure I agree until I have both products here. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok .. I have been able to compare all 3 DAC's from Mytek. All were used as a preamplifier directly into my amp. Sources were Tidal, WBGO steaming radio and a turntable.

There are surprises here. The Liberty 'should' sound the same as the original Brooklyn DAC (borrowed from friend)  however the Liberty was noticeably cleaner, more dynamic, quieter and overall better. But why? Its the same chip inside. Maybe eliminating most of the features? Perhaps someone from Mytec will step in here and explain.

The Brooklyn DAC+ (purchased) is still breaking in (50 hours) but so far the Liberty would be the item to own if you do not require the extra features of the DAC+. If you already own the Brooklyn and like the extras, I would upgrade to the DAC+. Even with less than 100 hours, I am finding more details, deeper soundstage, blacker blacks and lots more 'potential'.

So why did I buy the DAC+ if the Liberty was already shining in my system? The phono stage. At first I did not like it - but that is usually true with most audio purchases. Things generally need to break in and settle into my system. But the good news is each time I play a record I get 'locked in' meaning I stop whatever else I am doing and just listen. I have maybe 4000 records and always use a top quality turntable. Currently spinning the new Technics. No disappointments here - wipes all those sub $1000 stages I have heard.

With respect to headphones, I have a pair of Hifiman HE-4001 but honestly do not use them often. However, both the Liberty and DAC+ produced rich, detailed sound even at low volume. I have to respect everyone who listen exclusively with headphones.

The DAC+ is an ideal way to downsize your system while upgrading the sound. For the price I cannot think of any other component with such impact especially if you are using both the DAC and the phono stage.

Is the Brooklyn Amp next? Wish I could hear one as I do not like returning items. Anyone have one?

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎01 at 3:22 PM, NewWorldMan said:

Is the Brooklyn Amp next? Wish I could hear one as I do not like returning items. Anyone have one?

I do. Paired with the original Brooklyn DAC. Like the combination a lot.

Does the Liberty have analog volume control?

13 hours ago, NewWorldMan said:

The Liberty which I bought about a month ago is the first Mytek product I actually own. No external LPS yet but once I settle into a system I will either borrow or purchase one. It's generally agreed iBooster is the best of the bunch?

Sbooster ($375) is best value of the LPS that work with Mytek DACs. Uptone JS-2 is considered best of the best but it costs $925. Buying a LPS that costs as much as your Liberty would be your call. I use an Sbooster with my DAC+. Amazon is sold out.

It will be very interesting if more reports surface of the Liberty sounding as good as the Brooklyn(+) but without the features. That would make it a real killer at the price. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@Veovis The Liberty has only digital volume control. What amplifiers have you used previously? Curious to know if the Brooklyn Amp was able to replace more expensive amplifiers.

I have been thinking about the DACs and believe Mytek has proper pricing on them. Is  the DAC+ worth $1200 more than the Liberty? Absolutely! The DAC+ is LOADED with features and I think a bargain if you use it as a preamp and also use the phono stage.

The Liberty does not take a back seat to the DAC+ soundwise. If you are an audio fan on a tight budget and do not need the phono stage, the Liberty is an excellent long term option. But remember if you purchase one allow at least 50 hours or so before you make judgements.

I have a JS-2 and decided to buy the Liberty as I don’t need the extra features the Dac+ offers.  I can tell you that the JS-2 pairs very nicely with the Liberty Dac.  I use the JS-2 for the Dac and an uR and am extremely impressed to this point.  I have about 80 hours on it.  It is a very natural/warm sounding Dac with great dynamics, soundstage, and just overall presentation.  I still need more hours on it but I am even impressed with internet radio in Roon. 

The Liberty is also in my sights, and because this thread contains most information around the net yet I'm wondering if any of the owners is able to make first hand comparisons to Metrum Musette/Amethyst, Chord Mojo/2Qute or Schiit Bifrost Multibit. These DACs are the last ones I heard and still somewhat in memory. Liking the Metrums best out of those.

After using the Brooklyn DAC+ exclusively for the past week, I decided to slip the Liberty back into my system. This little DAC sounded just as good. Probably not better but in all fairness, the Liberty performs in the same ballpark. The sound is just as rich, dynamics just as good. The soundstages differ however - I find the DAC+ holds a very solid dimension with nice depth and no 'over-exaggeration'. The Liberty presents the wider soundstage but maybe too wide? It could be just my system. Again like I mention in previous posts, if you are on a budget the Liberty is the choice. For me personally the DAC+ fits my needs more as this will be my preamp and phono stage. I will probably sell or trade-in the Liberty and purchase the Brooklyn Amp. Any dealers in the NYC area have the amp setup?

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, buonassi said:

Any new impressions to share on this unit?

For me, everything NewWorldMan has said I second.  I have over 200 hours on it and am in love.  I already had a preamp and don’t do vinyl so this dac was a no brainer for me.  I also agree on streaming radio.  I have a premium account with Radio Tunes and the smooth jazz channel is fantastic.  I have no complaints whatsoever.