IGNORED

MQA Off-Topic Spinoff

Abtr

8 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

But you do understand that Brian and other mastering engineers receive mixes that already have lowish DR..and that IS what the artist intended.

I understand that completely, notice the difference between what the artist heard in the studio (my words) and what the artist intended (your words). Dr is an artistic decision, as is the selection of microphone and guitar. 

However, when someone says DR = nothing to me, that's very concerning. I'd love to know if artists had to listen to their own dynamically compressed music every night on the road if they'd think twice about it. If they still like it, maybe they need to get instruments and microphones with far less dynamic range, to reduce what is necessary in the DAW. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, Fair Hedon said:

Understood. From your posts I am aware you do listen to a lot of modern music, which is great.

I come across to many audiophiles who have not bought a single album released after 1985 and time does not stand still. 

I try to consume as much music as possible. Music makes me feel good. I expose my 5 year old daughter to everything from 1940 to today. 

On on the way to the store this evening she was singing The Killers newish track The Man. We love that song. Great stuff. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

I understand this fully. And with the notice that it was my complaint (a couple of pages back) that Crime of The Century has a too high DR, I could tell Chris @The Computer Audiophile that it is exactly that one where drums (kick drum ahead) sound like paper. Odd eh ...

But @Brian Lucey, the sort of mistake you may make here (it would be a thinking mistake) is that where higher dynamics will overdrive the (bass) driver and only imply distortion instead of pushed air, this is a fault in the loudspeaker of concern; It is not fast enough.

Now of course you could try to tell us that 99% of even audiophiles don't use fast enough drivers, but that would be a bit of BS IMHO because with a solution like yours we don't even have the opportunity to fix it.

Your solution implies woolly bass, if that would be an English term for the opposite of taut.

I'd agree that for many a "slow down" solution could work out for the better, but once you start referring to the smash board top 100 ...

No. And never.

Peter

Wider DR isn’t responsible for bad sounding drums. 

6 hours ago, mansr said:

Stop it already. This bickering is distracting from the real conversation. Brian delivers what his clients desire, as should any professional. If you happen to not share those tastes, then don't listen to that music. Now get back to exterminating MQA.

Thanks. Back on topic. 

3 minutes ago, Brian Lucey said:

Would you like to tune all the vocals to eliminate the errors?  Perfection has NO place in music production.   None.

I agree about perfection. I don’t like it. However, I wish auto tune as a way to “perfect” vocals was used less. It’s a cool effect when used like T-Pain. 

11 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

Hello Chris,

As I seem to recall, you started this website under somewhat deceptive practices. Perhaps not as bad as Mark Zuckerberg deliberately stealing Facebook from his two programmer "friends" that actually created the platform, but not altogether different either.

You were trolling at a bunch of forums, swearing that you just wanted information for your own curiosity, and then a few months later launched this website with the sole intent of making money.

Please tell me if I overlooked something.

PS - Karma is a bitch.

Hi Charles - You couldn’t be further from the truth. 

As I’ve said countless times in interviews, I started looking for information online about computer audio and ran into nothing but a shit show. So, I decided to start the site myself. 

Karma is bitch for those with a grudge, who spew partial truths, and have no interest in the real facts. 

17 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

You are denser than I thought. Apple could buy all three labels with pocket change, except that it would cause a lot of legal problems in anti-trust (only in Europe, not here in the corrupt US).

Just as in court, money talks. It's almost always the person who can afford the better attorney that wins.

Your personal attack calling me dense is against the rules of CA. 

You our call me dense, but then counter your own argument by saying your scenario can’t even happen and offering zero reasons why mine is false. 

I originally thought you brought interesting information to this site, but after many poorly researched (at best) and libelous (at worst) attacks on other companies, I’ve changed my mind. You’re a wolf in sheeps clothing.