IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

The bulk of participants in this nasty thread would demand proof from their own mother !

It's not just John Swenson that you guys demand proof from. It's virtually every C.A. member who makes a subjective claim that you guys believe is impossible. This is often followed by calling the poster/s delusional.

"nasty thread"...reminds me of something.."nasty nasty nasty thread"

You should work on this post a bit, find a meter, and write a song...it has a poetic quality.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

The bulk of participants in this nasty thread would demand proof from their own mother !

It's not just John Swenson that you guys demand proof from. It's virtually every C.A. member who makes a subjective claim that you guys believe is impossible. This is often followed by calling the poster/s delusional.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=POIDH

41 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Yup, there's a lot of bad hombres here at CA and they need to go back to where they came from.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

John is well aware of the technical explanations. He is also interested in promoting the idea that that his designs have been perfected down to the last detail.

That was not the tenor of his comments at all. Rather, his point was that measurements tell only part of the story. Kevin Hayes of VAC expressed similar views. The correlation between measurements and sound quality is hardly an exact science.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

4 hours ago, marce said:

I do remember this, have you any links please, I would like to re-look at it. I am aware that there are differences in USB cables and in any digital transmission. And on another thread did put forth some information regarding EMC issues etc. Even though I am doubtful of well engineered system showing differences in cables I am still looking at all the evidence, as I said on the other thread noise could account for the differences but no firm conclusion. In fact I put up quite a long proposal, giving some effects that could have an effect, it was ignored by many, but other short post's were jumped on by the believers and I was ravaged, as if I had fallen in a pit full of Chihuahua's.:o

Unlike you my scope and other kit is in a landfill site, when we last moved some boxes got mixed up! and got dumped

Gordon found some audiophile USB cable offerings didn't meet USB spec.  Some did.  Of course inexpensive cables did.  He also says they sound different from each other, but that is from sighted subjective evaluation of them.  He has written that he gives up determining why they sound different as any measurements he has made show no reason for it.  He has some gear not commonly available to carry out extensive measurements.  

So the big elephant to me is the sighted evaluation.  We know for certain those are always suspect.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

9 minutes ago, esldude said:

So the big elephant to me is the sighted evaluation.  We know for certain those are always suspect.  

As are many dbt's. :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

One thing we do have is a plausible mechanism by which USB and/or Ethernet cables could degrade SQ.

Testing would be nice and a DBL study is easy -- you guys could do it at a show, or a club meeting in a large city.

If I used such cables and a fix to the hypothesized problem were cheap & easy I'd implement it right away.

1 minute ago, esldude said:

No in point of fact. 

No one who is human is immune to such things.  NO ONE!  That is not an opinion. 

In your opinion. :) It just doesn't make sense that one will always have an expectation of a particular result. Open minds do exist, notwithstanding your view to the contrary.

7 minutes ago, Allan F said:

In your opinion. :) It just doesn't make sense that one will always have an expectation of a particular result. Open minds do exist, notwithstanding your view to the contrary.

It is not just his opinion, and there are thousands of studies on the matter.

Now, it might be that some minds are sufficiently open to reduce the effect to a level where it could be counteracted by some other effect, but...

... how would you determine that?

15 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

True. And open minds don't hear a difference between Ethernet cables ;)

But they may, not will, hear a difference between USB cables, interconnect cables, speaker cables, and power cables.