IGNORED

Getting rid of CD's?

31 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

Sounds like a brilliant idea! :)

I don't think OP expected such heated debate over a simple, innocent question...:ph34r:

The OP Definitely didn't! 

It made for some good 'ole fashion debating and entertainment for a few days, but I think it's time to put this thread to rest:) 

18 minutes ago, agladstone said:

The OP Definitely didn't! 

It made for some good 'ole fashion debating and entertainment for a few days, but I think it's time to put this thread to rest:) 

Or maybe one can discuss what the OP originally intended the thread to be abput:

On 7/30/2017 at 10:24 PM, Grayson64 said:

Well, when I started this thread, it was not meant to generate such a

lengthy discussion on copyright law and ethical handling of music content. It was really about the concept of collecting and letting go.   

Why are any of us holding on to physical digital media? I've always thought there would be a market for selling physical albums with literally everything but the actual plastic disc and including a download code with it. This also somewhat fits in with the fact that a non-negligible number of people buy vinyl records (a lot of which come with a download code these days) despite not actually owning a record player. The paper packaging of vinyl records is also much nicer than the frankly distasteful plastic CD jewel cases.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/half-the-people-buying-vinyl-dont-actually-bother-listening-to-i/

6 minutes ago, Bystander said:

Or maybe one can discuss what the OP originally intended the thread to be abput:

Why are any of us holding on to physical digital media? I've always thought there would be a market for selling physical albums with literally everything but the actual plastic disc and including a download code with it. This also somewhat fits in with the fact that a non-negligible number of people buy vinyl records (a lot of which come with a download code these days) despite not actually owning a record player. The paper packaging of vinyl records is also much nicer than the frankly distasteful plastic CD jewel cases.

Interesting idea! (Buy the CD or LP just for the covers, booklets, etc) and have it include the download code for the actual media! 

The problem now that I suspect (my experience with Blu-Ray Audio or CD's that I own that come with a download code), is that the download code is for Lossy MP3 or equivalent! What we need is to be able to buy the LP or CD jacket and booklet only and have a download code for 24bit FLAC files of that Media! That there would be a market for!! (a very small market I'm sure, but it would exist)! 

11 minutes ago, agladstone said:

The problem now that I suspect (my experience with Blu-Ray Audio or CD's that I own that come with a download code), is that the download code is for Lossy MP3 or equivalent! What we need is to be able to buy the LP or CD jacket and booklet only and have a download code for 24bit FLAC files of that Media! That there would be a market for!! (a very small market I'm sure, but it would exist)! 

Yup, I am disappointed when I see that the download code is only for mp3s, especially for Blu-Ray audio purchases!

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

I've had a few instances of vinyl records coming with a code for a lossless (sometimes even hi-res) download. But too often it is indeed for MP3 versions. Unfortunately you can't really rely on it being one or the other. In some cases, it is specified beforehand that a CD will be included, so you know you'll get lossless versions at least.

11 minutes ago, Bystander said:

I've had a few instances of vinyl records coming with a code for a lossless (sometimes even hi-res) download. But too often it is indeed for MP3 versions. Unfortunately you can't really rely on it being one or the other. In some cases, it is specified beforehand that a CD will be included, so you know you'll get lossless versions at least.

From memory, I only got access to hi-res downloads, with Peter Gabriel's vinyl remasters. I also got hi-res downloads with the Blu-Ray audio for Tears For Fears' "Songs from the Big Chair", but unfortunately, no joy for "The Hurting".

23 hours ago, stuck limo said:

Who, besides on this forum and the Hoffman forums, are sitting around having a debate and a moral wrestle with themselves/others over the fact they may or may not be legally able to be playing a file?

Who else does this keep up at night? Who is sitting around hesitating before they hit "play" and dreading the fact they may make the wrong decision?

And your point is - what exactly?   That if someone takes care to ensure their music collection is legal, they are wasting their time? 

So everyone speeds. Pretty much everyone gets a ticket at some time or another too. You play, you pay.  I don't think speeding and/or  getting a ticket keeps people up at night either. 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

@Paul R I have realised that no amount of discourse on this topic (keeping rips after one sells/gives away one's CDs) is going to change the minds of people who already do.

While many recognise that it is against the prevailing law, they rationalise that some failure in the law (policing) or the corrupt nature of the music industry (unequal distribution of income), then allows them to disregard the law. While some have also admitted that they are willing to face any consequences, if prosecuted for their actions, others have been painfully silent (I think some of them may go so far as to even support P2P distribution of pirated music, just to spite the music labels).

As some have proposed, and I agree to, let us just agree to disagree...

23 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

And that's the core issue.  One's sovereign right to discern, free of any authority, whether or not a law is just.  To rely upon one's innate ability to question, to explore, to find out.  And from that centered point, make their *personal* decision about how to relate.   When we strip the surface layers of society away, we are not robots running on auto pilot.  Each day, each moment we are making choices.

Well said. I do agree that it is up to each of us to understand the law, and to question and challenge it, if we think it unjust. However, there are those who would want to take advantage of the law (and whatever loopholes that exist) for their own benefit; and simultaneously not taking responsibility for their actions.

Like some of us agree, break the law with your eyes wide-open and ready to bear any consequences. Some would try to place the blame on others, and plead personal ignorance or similar, to escape from such prosecution. Hence I believe that we should put it in black and white, lest people claim that we in the forum never warned them of these potential ramifications of their actions.

8 hours ago, Paul R said:

And your point is - what exactly?   That if someone takes care to ensure their music collection is legal, they are wasting their time? 

Yes, that's a GREAT way to put it. Also, fretting over whether someone else's collection is legal is also a big waste of time. Also, it unnecessarily causes fighting on the forums. 

On 8/20/2017 at 8:58 PM, foodfiend said:

From memory, I only got access to hi-res downloads, with Peter Gabriel's vinyl remasters. I also got hi-res downloads with the Blu-Ray audio for Tears For Fears' "Songs from the Big Chair", but unfortunately, no joy for "The Hurting".

I actually bought the Peter Gabriel vinyl in order to get the high resolution downloads as they are not available elsewhere... One day I will get my turntable setup and listen to some of the vinyl I have bought.... I think it must be at least 15 years since I actually listened to vinyl...

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)