IGNORED

Amir at ASR claims Uptone won't sell the ISO regen to him...

12 hours ago, esldude said:

Sorry, you can't listen to that signal.  People can only listen to the analog output of a DAC.  Do you have any measurements that show any improvement in the analog output of a DAC with the Regen vs without?

Due to the large difference in sound between the two test units found by me and the other blind tester, I think there is some difference occurring at the analog output.  Whether this difference (which both the other tester and I heard as a substantial positive one) is in fact in the direction of greater accuracy and occurs in the way John Swenson, the designer, believes it does, may have to wait until John is able to set up the tests he wants to do.  Or perhaps someone else will be able to trace effects all the way through from digital output of the ISO Regen to analog output of the DAC.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

18 minutes ago, jabbr said:

So, assuming this is valid with a larger number of evaluators, a proper measurement would be able to distinguish something that is audible. eg if there are phase error differences that would lend support to the proposition that altering phase error is audible.

That's what the ideal state would be - if measurements such as you and John have proposed (or that @PeterStmay have already done or be contemplating) would turn out to correspond to the blind test preference.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

8 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

One of the things I find quite amusing about this whole thread is that, if my memory serves me correctly, a lot of the folks who are taking the "there is no difference unless I can measure it -- science is absolute" stance here are the same ones who have expressed strong dopubts about Climate Change in prior posts on CA.  I guess "opinions" are ok in other areas of science, but audio is such a settled science that there can't possibly be an improvement we can't readily measure...

I am not certain your memory serves you correctly.  On the other hand, it's quite possible I'm the one with the faulty memory. :)

54 minutes ago, mansr said:

Nice straw man. I've never suggested that everybody must understand and personally validate the design of everything they use. It is quite sufficient that somebody does this. The problem with many audiophile widgets is that nobody has done anything to validate their operation. In some cases, the manufacturer even actively prevents others from testing it. Would you buy a car from a manufacturer who refused to let it undergo standard testing? What of a car manufacturer who was found to be rigging tests in its favour? Do they get a free pass, or are they hauled in front of court?

Let's use your "somebody does this" criterion.  Apologies to Bill and Dennis: since I know at least a little bit about your systems, at least as they existed at some point not too long ago, I want to use them, along with mine, as examples.

I believe both Bill and Dennis use digital room correction/equalization.  There is substantial academic literature regarding human insensitivity to the overall system frequency response this is designed to optimize.  Nearly all these systems use minimum or intermediate phase filters.  Is the favorable response to these systems due to overall frequency response optimization, or to a slight euphonic "reverb effect" in the audible range from the post-ringing of these filters?  I'm unaware of academic/scientific studies proving one or the other.  Why Bill and Dennis, you cock-eyed subjectivists! :)

Dennis at one time owned Spectral Audio equipment, as I do now (one bought new in 1993, the other of mid-90s vintage bought used).  Something Dennis has mentioned in the past is that the parts and circuit designs of Spectral amps are supposed to minimize "thermal tails."  (This is mentioned in information on the Spectral website.)  I don't know about Dennis, but for my part I'm not aware of scientifically conducted blind testing to assess the effect of avoiding "thermal tails" vs. possibly less costly parts and designs that might be subject to them to some minimal extent.

So, to put it concisely, we operate on partial information.  And within that partially informed context, we choose what to trust and what to be skeptical of.

12 minutes ago, mansr said:

it can't hurt to have a more correct response.

Are you quite certain, through scientific testing you or someone else has conducted, that it is a more correct response via-a-vis any possible reverb effect in the mid and upper portion of the frequency band?

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

I'm quite certain that removing, say, a 5 dB hump at 100 Hz is better than not doing this.

Better than not doing it if you factor in potentially adding euphonic reverb in the mid and upper frequencies?

You said the difference in bass was "clearly audible" to you.  Did you test this blind so as to remove any expectation bias, or even better, research the academic literature to confirm scientifically the favorable effects you thought were clearly audible?

17 minutes ago, mansr said:

No, I haven't done rigorous testing. However, I'm not the one selling it, so that burden isn't on me. I also have no reason to suspect them of secretly adding reverb rather than doing what they say they're doing.

I am not selling the ISO Regen.  I did, however, participate in a blind test of two candidate designs, where I very quickly selected the one most like the current production model because of what I felt were clearly audible differences.  The other blind test participant did the same.

Of course with regard to minimum phase and intermediate phase filters, there's no "secretly added" reverb.  Rather there is the potential for reverb if post-ringing has that audible effect, something various people have said is so, but that hasn't at least to my knowledge been established in the scientific literature one way or the other.

17 minutes ago, mansr said:

Filter ringing occurs at inaudible frequencies. Reverb is something else entirely.

I've read several people quite familiar with digital filtering (as I recognize you are yourself), including Miska, Peter, and whoever did the filter design work for Ayre and Charles Hansen, say that ringing, though ultrasonic, smears the audible signal over a greater period of elapsed time, creating an audible effect similar to reverb.

Another effect of intermediate and minimum phase filters is dispersion, spreading out the signal in time in accordance with frequency.  This occurs at audible frequencies.  The people responsible for the design of the ESS DAC chip have written that this can provide an increased sense of depth.  However, I haven't seen perception of this depth effect confirmed in the scientific literature either.

25 minutes ago, plissken said:

You might as well blind audition two minidsp with different x-over slopes and topologies for that matter..

Crossover slopes weren't being tested.  Circuit components were. Would you like to know which of two pieces of equipment performing the same function but  built with different parts sounded better (or if there was no difference)?

16 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

I've heard you refer to various successful blind tests involving the Reg but never found any actual details, sorry if I missed them. Would you be so kind to point me to their posting or supply some further info here.

Exactly how was this test conducted? Who were the participants?  What were the various components involved, source, DAC, etc? What source material was used? How many rounds of tests were made?  What were the specific "blind" conditions. What were the final voting numbers.

TIA

Alex sent me and @lmitche each two identical looking ISO Regens, asking us simply to listen and separately let him know what we thought.  The only difference between the two was a strip of blue painter's tape on the top of each, where in black magic marker the letter "G" was written on top of one, and the letter "M" was written on top of the other.

I plugged each ISO Regen into my system in place of the original Regen.  I only had to listen to each once to know that I very much preferred "G."  The whole thing took maybe five minutes because the difference was so apparent.  (I liked both G and M better than the original, but of course that comparison was non-blinded.)

Afterward I learned @lmitche's experience was pretty much a carbon copy of mine.

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

In my testing, I had to try pretty hard to provoke bit errors over USB. When they did occur, it was blatantly obvious.

Yes, I don't think anyone is talking about "flipping bits" or actual dropouts as events that wouldn't be pretty obvious.

23 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

OK, I considered them... And yet, all these effects get corrected on the digital side before entering the DAC with ISO REGEN.

How does anything a digital decrapifier do in the digital domain translate into an improvement in analog signal? A friend used to make optical USB isolators and sell them for $25 about 10 years ago. I suspect that this will break up current leaks and ground loops just as effectively. So, what else does ISO REGEN do that a $25 piece of kit doesn't? Reduce jitter, perhaps? :)

At least as I understand what John has explained about the theory of operation, there are two aspects to it.

First, as with the original Regen, a cleaner signal allows the USB PHY receiver chip in the DAC to work less hard, creating less self-noise in the DAC circuitry.

Second, the isolation prevents both ground and leakage currents from utilizing the DAC circuitry as part of their pathways.

Both of these should help keep noise out of sensitive clock circuitry in the DAC, and the isolation should help to avoid some ground and leakage loops that might create noise in the overall system.

One comparison to the optical isolators you are familiar with is that although they provide isolation, they can have relatively high levels of self-noise and may therefore not be the best choice to use in DAC circuitry.

23 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Great. So, the effect of ISO REGEN is then to do what... reduce jitter compared to an optical isolator?

Hi Paul -

I would guess it's not impossible to do the degree of noise reduction in the DAC itself as is done with the ISO Regen - one could essentially have an ISO Regen inside the DAC, or in other ways reduce aspects of self-noise and ground and leakage currents.  (Though recall one reason BADA said it kept its USB/SPDIF converter separate from the DAC was for noise reduction purposes - perhaps avoiding radiated EMI [I don't know, just blathering here]?)  But I think you'd agree the concept of keeping noise out of the DAC clock is solid.  And my impression at least from what I've read is that John seems to have had a pretty good handle on component selection and circuit and board design to accomplish that intended goal.  

We're then left with the topic of whether any reduction in noise accomplished by the ISO Regen will be audibly evident in the analog product.  The blind testing is for me a fairly strong indication *some* change is making it through to the analog side.  I can always be flat wrong, but the amount of readily identifiable difference between the two units with no expectation bias operating, plus the identical results from the other tester, does leave an impression even from these anecdotal results.

Of course we then run into the issue of figuring out whether the change (crediting for the moment the notion that I'm correct about the existence of a change) and the mechanism causing it are as John intended.  For that we may have to wait awhile.

6 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

An imaginary customer?

You are certainly a vociferous advocate for this co. - do you have any sort of relation with them?

An "imaginary customer" who posted in threads here in April? Flail much?

As for my relationship, first, I consider myself a friend of Alex and John's.  This has given me the mighty mental power to conjure up an imaginary customer to post in the forum here about the 30-day satisfaction guarantee back in April, more than a month before it magically appeared to you.

Second, as I've posted prominently in each of two forum comments where I've talked about my listening experience with the current production model, in return for testing Alex provided me a production model for free.  I did that so anyone considering purchasing one could evaluate my comments knowing this.

By the way, I believe what "the other person" said was that he couldn't find it in Google or in the site footer, if I understand him correctly.  If I do, it would leave you as the only one claiming to have read that full product page and not found it.