IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

41 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

And this is maybe a good reason to use a very good DDC. (USB to SPSIF converter).

I've notice the SU-1 use the same clock as the ISO regen by the way. 

I hope @Superdad and @JohnSwenson will come up with a super DDC soon. 

I think replasing my F1 or hiFace EVO (think they sound equal in my system) must be my next upgrade.

I can't see an UltraRendu will make any difference, as long as I have an ISO regen.

As my understanding is to put the best clock as close to your DAC as possible. This may also be a reason for not adding an audiophile switch I guess. 

Any thaughts ?

Folks are still getting DAC/DDC clocks mixed up with processor clocks! (Please reread scan's posts or John's on the subject.)

Even though Crystek (for example) makes the ultra-low-phase-noise CCHD-575 in both audio DAC frequencies (22.5792MHz, 24.576MHz and multiples of) and, on a custom basis at whole number rates as used for Ethernet, USB, FPGAs, and other processors (e.g. 24.0MHz and 25.0MHz)--they really are in different worlds.  There is no doubt that the 575 in the ISO REGEN is highly worthwhile (we directly compared SQ between identical boards with different clocks), but we think the 575 is about the limit of what is needed for a USB data clock.

However, for a DAC's audio master clocks (or the audio freq. clocks in a USB>S.PDIF converter which get embedded in the SPDIF/AES stream and supplant the DAC's clocks (though often a DAC will reclock that input), that is where no expense should be spared (though the rest of most DACs add more jitter from their circuitry and never get the full benefit of an über-expensive clock).

13 minutes ago, scan80269 said:

...I heard from my wife that she got into a car accident just a quarter mile from home!  A Lyft driver made an unsafe left turn and crashed into my wife's month-old Mercedes C300 (she was going straight with right-of-way), which then hit a pedestrian crossing sign pole.  A total of 4 airbags deployed.  She seems to have sustained only some bruises on the hands (from the airbag) and a scrape on the shoulder (from the seat belt), but I'll need to bring her to be checked out more thoroughly.

Oh no Sam, that is terrible!!  I hope your wife is okay.  Please keep us posted.  :(

3 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

That has been stated by the designer and the proprietor many times here, already!

To be more fair, I am sure that all we ever said was that upstream changes will matter less.  EVERY USB device has a PHY processor at its input (even if it is integrated into its hub chip or protocol engine--such as XMOS), and will thus be susceptible to some extent to upstream signal integrity.  So while the ISO REGEN outputs great SI, variations at its input can still have a effect (e.g. you will still hear some differences between USB cables)

The galvanic isolation added by the ISO REGEN takes care of other problems (no time to write about that this morning).

--Alex C.

21 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

The real question is, does a passive GI better an active one like the ISO?  Or would a combination of passive and active be better yet?  ex. uRendu/ISO

Would the ISO Regen be more beneficial if tied into a master clock?  ex. SOTM sclk EX

Is it better to have superior clocking after a GI?  Passive?  Active?  Combination?

Does reclocking help preceding an active GI such as the ISO?

That's quite the word salad there! xD  But I'll reply to a couple of those vegetables anyway.

a) There is no such thing as "passive" galvanic isolation for USB data.

b) The Crystek CCHD-575 has the lowest phase-noise of any affordable (i.e. under $500) production clock. There are limits to the beneficial effect of low jitter clocks for processor clocking (as opposed to audio master clocking), and while upstream clocks may put a "fingerprint" on the data, it is hard to rationalize having the USB clock be of vastly lower phase-noise than the DAC's clocks.

No offense meant to anyone here.  We love the curiosity and interest in pushing the boundaries of what is possible.  But I would really prefer that the fervency of this discussion simmer down a bit until a few hundred more users get their ISO REGENs and experience it as the singular product is was designed to be.  All else is is distracting (at least to me) and I am sure rather confusing to others that come here wanting to learn about the product.  It works and sounds great all on its own--and the very first people receiving them are discovering and reporting over in the Listening Impressions thread.

Thanks very much,

--Alex C.

37 minutes ago, kalinka said:

@Superdad So, not willing to be annoying, but do you already know when the second wave of iso regens will begin to ship?

I'll know more in a day or two.  Waiting on board production and some parts are stuck in customs.  But we expect to have enough boards by June 1--to then test, assemble, and finish shipping in the few days after that--to cover all the rest of the folks who were originally promised May 16-19 shipping (order #s up to and including #5449).

250 more boards after that will hopefully arrive by June 8th, and then we can jump on all "second run orders," #5450 and above.  I hate parts delays; really tough when some parts are "sole-source" only.

Thanks for your patience. 

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

That has been answerd already. Next week he indicated.

Actually, what I said was that more boards would be arriving June 1st (now looks more like Friday the 2nd), and then we would begin test, assembly, and shipment--the following week of June 5th (though yeah, I'll probably work the weekend testing--my new Lecroy USB protocol analyzer is really neat, but each board takes about 2 minutes to certify).

Really sorry for the delay, though I think my e-mail/post of May 15th estimating a 3-week delay (beyond the original May 16-19th plan) is looking quite accurate.  Thanks again for your patience everyone.

Beyond catching up with those 135 late-fulfillment orders are another 175 to build and ship--most of those promised for "early-June" as well.  Plus, right now about 75 overall are for ISO REGEN/LPS-1 bundles.

So yes, success, but also a lot of pressure!  (It's not like I have a whole staff of people to help execute all this. And boy am I behind on things like accounting--and oh yeah, paying out those $50 rebates to about 75 of you. :D

At least this batch of 14 JS-2s is about finished (test/burn-in over the weekend for the last 6) and out the door.  For a change we may actually end up with 2-3 left on the shelf for a few days.  

Have a great weekend everyone!

--Alex C.

59289dcb472e1_May26thJS-2batch.thumb.jpg.dd670df1d10576c64de9a095c88f5e2d.jpg

1 minute ago, Speed Racer said:

So, is the "moat" is kind of shallow and the isolation is incomplete? At least that is what I get from John's comments. Can Alex or John detail what gets through?

No, the "moat" is complete.  Full galvanic isolation (put a meter across the shells of the two USB jacks and you will not get a beep). But data, while also isolated, has to cross over. And what John was explaining/hypothesizing is that "stuff" gets "baked" into the data (sorry, its Friday and my fingers are tired of typing).

• 2 weeks later...

I have (but am not presently using) the ICRON 2304GE-LAN.  That's the only version that can both work through a network switch and support isochronous audio/video streaming.

While I have only tried it with a Ethernet cable (Belden Cat6A) direct between its boxes (skipping any LAN switch), and used a pair of LPS-1s to power the REX end (downstream side), I can say it works quite nicely and does not seen to do any harm sonically.  In fact, on its own, it is an improvement.  

There is nothing special about its output signal integrity or clock, so it (or should I more correctly say the DAC) does still benefit from the ISO REGEN afterwards.

On 6/13/2017 at 6:16 AM, hltf said:

I got my new ISO Regen today. I'm using it with the LPS-1 for power and sending the signal into my Berkeley USB converter.  It worked fine and sounded really great for 3-4 tracks and then I just heard a cracking sound and the music stopped.  I rebooted the MacMini and started up again. Again I was able to listen to music for a track or less and then the same crack sound and I lost sound. The third time I just heard the crack sound and no music at all.

I have not yet been able to check out my old Regen to see if there is an issue outside the new ISO Regen although I expect not.  Does anyone know what I should try? Have there been issues with the Berkeley and the ISO Regen? 

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.  As an experiment, have you tried moving the red switch on the ISO REGEN to the up ("ON") position?  This defeats the galvanic isolation (but you still get 80%+ of the ISO REGENs goodness.

True galvanic isolation can be a tricky thing and the grounding and connections on both sides of it come into play in different ways.

If you still have troubles with the switch in the up position, then we can look at replacing your unit.  The batch yours came from--what we shipped on June 9th--was very heavily tested (I won't even tell you how many days and nights were spent screening those 100 units to be sure they were perfect)--but since the USB input of your Berkeley Alpha is 100% bus powered, there is chance that thermal sensitivity of the isolator in your particular unit, combined with an intolerance of error on the part of the Berkeley, are conspiring to give you trouble.

I'll reply to the e-mail you just sent and we can take it from there.

Thanks,

ALEX

23 hours ago, Superdad said:

As an experiment, have you tried moving the red switch on the ISO REGEN to the up ("ON") position?  This defeats the galvanic isolation (but you still get 80%+ of the ISO REGENs goodness.

True galvanic isolation can be a tricky thing and the grounding and connections on both sides of it come into play in different ways.

Just as a follow-up, defeating the isolation did indeed cure this gentleman's problem.  While others here with a Berkeley Alpha (as he has) have not had to that, his system is unusual in other respects with cascade balanced power transformers and other things.  We continue to work with him on researching his system grounding.  But of course the ISO REGEN sounds glorious even without the galvanic isolation enabled.

8 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Aha, no crank intended.  I was responding to the sarcastic "its in the middle of the page" comment by Daudio.  Explaining that I didn't read the whole page, in part because I only half pay attention to marketing speak, and in part because I never thought the return policy would be found there - given its not the norm.

No worries.  While it is in bold near the top of the page, I agree that it is time for me to write a whole page of the typical terms and conditions regarding returns, shipping, warranty repair, privacy, copyright, use and misuse, disclaimers, and liability.  

That, along with new pages for our Oyaide/Belden DC cables, more tech stuff on the Swenson Explains page (I've been collecting his epic dissertation posts for years), more on the FAQ pages, updated reviews and user quotes, new photos and a revised bio page, and quite importantly, a list of the fine overseas dealers who love our products so much they stock them with just a paltry 15% discount from us.

Frankly the whole web site could stand an overhaul.  It is rather amateurish to say the least. It is not as if I am unaware of these things.  It is simply that demand for our products outstrips the current staff resources I have (myself at 60-80 hours/week; my assistant at about 35).

We also intend to finally take out our very first advertisement--for the ISO REGEN & UltraCap LPS-1--in the coming months.  But at the moment, in our heavily back-ordered situation, the last thing I want to do is end up with another $100K of orders on the books waiting to be filled.  I am looking to hire another person, but right now I just need to focus on getting parts in and products out.

So all the fancy stuff has to wait.  Heck, I still have not had tile put down in the bathroom of our production building so we can get the toilet in! :/

"Marketing speak?" I hate that stuff!  I think you will find that most of the long prose on our site is rather straightforward description of the product design and function.  I have to force myself to weave in a little fluff about the sonic benefits of the products.  Contrast what is on our site to the confusing, can't figure-out-what-it-does-but here's-lots-of-graphics that appear on the sites of others and then we can talk about "marketing speak." x-D

Anyway, yes, not only do we offer a 30-day, money-back, satisfaction guarantee on our products, but unlike many other direct-sale audio firms we do not charge a 15% restock fee.  And instead of a 1-year warranty we provide a 3-year warranty.

Thanks for your interest,

--Alex C.

14 minutes ago, darren700 said:

@Superdad

Hi Alex, I received my ISO Regen today (powered by LPS1). Sounds awesome so far, but I have a quick question. I have the 90deg version of uspcb and after plugging it into my Yulong DA8 II Dac, the ISO is not sitting 90deg (more like 80deg) due to stress from my cables I think. will this damage the uspcb over time? should I add some support underneath it to try and straighten it? see attached picture.

I'd be less worried about the USPCB--it's pretty strong and cheap to replace--and more concerned about the stress on the 'A' and 'B' jacks of the REGEN and your DAC.  While our board house has been specially instructed to heavily solder the shield-tabs of the jacks to the PCB on the ISO REGEN, I have seen people rip jacks off earlier USB REGENs (we use a different board house for that model) and from DAC boards.  So yes, some support is in order.  :)

11 minutes ago, darren700 said:

Thank you Alex and everyone else for your advice. After investigating further I found the cause of the rotation to be a slight mis-alignment of the uspcb male connector. It is not perfectly 90deg to the female side of the uspcb.

Well that's weird!  Just looked at a whole pile of those and given the way they are constructed (using my inspired idea for creating the world's only PCB-mount full size 'B' male USB), it is hard to fathom how one would be mis-aligned like that.  While I'd like to see pics from another angle--or with the heat shrink torn off--how about you just let me send you a replacement?  'Cause that does not sit square with me either!

(Please shoot me a note via e-mail or our web site contact page so I know exactly who you are.

Friday Update:

The last 40 of the original mid-May-promised orders shipped out today, along with about 50 of the "early-June" orders.  We are now working to finish up the other 60 "early-June" orders (up through #5578) for shipment this coming Wednesday, June 21.  So for those folks there will have been just a 2 week delay.

There are about another 100 orders (up through #5700) that were promised for shipment by "end-of-June."  The original production run of boards had a lot that did not pass QC.  That, combined with a shortage of chips to catch up with, caused a ripple over the past month, so it is becoming clear that only about one-third of those "end-of-June" orders will be shipped on time.   I will provide an update when I know more.

Thanks for your patience everyone.  From reading the user reviews it seems that it will be worth the wait. :) 

Happy Father's Day weekend to those who are one.  And to the rest of you, call your dad if you can!

P.S.  Here is pic from late Thursday night.  Sorting and making sure everyone gets the right combination of goodies--and the right export paperwork.  Order variations--what was I thinking?!

IMG_1396.thumb.JPG.38000124d9163fbfa564f76cde27e2bd.JPG

47 minutes ago, Quadman said:

I got the IR about 10 days ago and have noted some behavior issues that I did not have with the amber regen.

Hi Quadman:

I am going to ask John Swenson to explain a bit about how the ISO REGEN differs from the USB REGEN when it coms to USB connectivity.  Because as it happens, the ISO REGEN hews to the USB standards much more closely than the USB REGEN did.  I am speaking mostly about VBUS states, but also we (well, he) worked very hard to improve hot-swappability and compatibility with Linux and some older Windows systems.

All USB hosts and devices (so computers, DACs, the hub in the REGENs, etc.) have different wake/suspend states, partially based on VBUS status, but also based--I think--on if data is moving.

Anyway, while it is remotely possible you have a fussy ISO REGEN unit sample (which we could of course exchange), it is likely that your set up--possibly even your DIY USB is exacerbating the situation.  Also, please try taking the Jitterbug out of the chain.  Had someone last month tell me they had connection problems with the ISO REGEN that went away when they removed the Jitterbug (and he said it sounded better too).

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

P.S. Other than your standby disconnects, how are you liking the SQ with the ISO REGEN into your T+A DAC? :)