IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

9 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

I have no professional affiliation with MQA or Tidal.

You forgot to include immersive audio in your list of non-affiliations.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 hours ago, mansr said:

That's hilarious. The Marantz digitises the analogue input (don't know the ADC chip) at 48 kHz, runs the Audyssey process, and plays the result through the AKM DAC chip. Whatever "deblurring" benefit MQA might provide, it will be obliterated by this process.

x-Dx-Dx-Dx-Dx-Dx-Dx-Dx-D

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Apologies, off topic, but do US people know what a geezer is ?. Is it current US slang ?

(as in diamond geezer).

Regards,

Shadders.

In the US it is an old crotchety man.  Behind the times, stuck in the past old geezer who can't keep up with modern times. 

I understand some places it is not age related and similar to calling someone a dude or hipster. 

2 hours ago, witchdoctor said:

If Bruno is the engineer he claims to be he should invent something better than MQA instead of going around whining about it. He should stick with amps. The guy was very sheepish when he asked his question and instead of producing a better solution what does he do? What all malcontent engineers like to do, whine.
Bob may not have done blind testing but the labels did tons of it in what they call test groups when they were doing their due diligence. They went all in on MQA so what do you think the results were? Duh.

Please expand on this group test.

As someone who doesn't listen to MQA you have no grounds for being critical of Bruno.

8 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

One of my favorite MQA/Tidal features...playlists. Sunday night playing Bossa Nova Vibes but look at some of these others. It is a helluva lot easier than trying to make this many hirez playlists yourself:

blob.png

One could say the same about mp3 streaming too.  If one favors a lossy format.  

7 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

If you have a favorite on Tidal or Spotify please post a link or something :)

Don't have such favorites, and don't have Tidal.  

2 hours ago, Don Hills said:

All of the dual-capstan Nakamichis had pressure pad lifters to keep the pressure pad retracted. They used differential capstan speed to maintain a consistent tape tension across the heads.

I found Dolby B and C did work well on the 3-head Nakamichis, because they had enough HF bandwidth and tape level capability. Most decks had Dolby calibration level about +3dB, the Naks had it at 0 or -3 depending on the deck.  I had 2 decks that I matched in level and response so that I could record on one deck, then move the tape to the other and have the levels and frequency response matched to less than 0.5 dB. Nakamichi helpfully included RC networks on the circuit board so that you could add/remove solder bridges to fine tune the responses.

But as you point out, as soon as you moved the tape to a lesser deck with poorer HF frequency response, you may as well turn the Dolby off.

Count me as another of those who found Nakamichi to work well with Dolby.  Did all my needledrops (not what they were called then) with Dolby C and good tapes.  Of course I played them back on Nak tape decks.  I even had Nak head units in my cars in those years.  A TD700 and TD500.  Those head units were excellent all the way around.  Not only great tape sections, the FM tuners were exemplary as well.  Still have one head unit, one home tape deck and some tapes. 

Image result for nakamichi td 700

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Shocking, just shocking!;)....

Where’s the witchdoctor to set us right?

Well ultimately WD would have us put 13 channel Atmos upconverting chips in the phones and then do some VooDoo DSP to create that over earbuds.  Anything else is antique.  Dinosaur-like.  Discarded as a failed branch of audio evolution.  We're all doomed!

On the brite side, I guess that makes Atmos immersive audio and MQA like twin meteors that impact the audio earth with devastating consequences from which phoenix like modern audiophiles will evolve and populate the previously scorched earth.  

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, semente said:

This is (UK) Government funded (BBC) research which measures image width:

1.thumb.png.c5d4ba5d7044bdeaa6b97923044e5ad6.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=d2060de9cb713f96imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2060de9cb713f962.thumb.png.f9d677635bcf92f29da9b8847f61535a.png

Yes.  Don't confuse that with the tripe printed by TAS.  Just because they are measuring image height doesn't make it research in anything approaching the same way.  I was embarrassed for TAS when I first read it. Not when they published the additional parts later. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I think in the best scenario, MQA becomes a niche format.  I have not seen any evidence that Bob Stuart and team are "trying to corner the market."

Well if you look for that evidence, you probably don't even have to walk around the corner to find it. 

3 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I agree that 44.1 has a lot of advantages, but you're not really selling your expertise by pissing all over audiophiles.  That is your audience here.  You know that right?

The fact he acts as if he doesn't tells me he has decided not to accept that as true.  A shame as well.

Others in the business from reports I read, say that virtually all studio work done is 44.1/24 or the occasional 48/24.  Film or video related work is nearly all 48/24.  

I wholeheartedly agree the best format is the one used for the recording.  If someone uses 768/32, even though I think that is ridiculous, my preference is to have the music in 768/32.  One might make a minor case for 88.2 or 96 khz rates, I don't see a rational one at all for anything higher.  Quite happy with 48/24 myself.  

1 minute ago, Brian Lucey said:

What music recording is not "cookie cutter" to you?

What's your opinion regarding MQA on cookie cutter music?  Not claiming the music you work on is cookie cutter. Just wanting your opinion about using MQA on other types of music.

25 minutes ago, Brian Lucey said:

I post while I work, as a form of distraction.  Working now.  Printing a pass on in the background. It helps the focus to stay on principle with people who want to make things worse not better.

Very busy, 50 clients a month, I can't do more.

Some might mention quality over quantity.  Whores have a different idea.  One oriented toward servicing the most clients.  

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'll use the same rules with you as I did Brian. 

This is a warning.

P.S. I always give people warnings and hope to come out with a win-win in the long run. I don't need to tell you about personal attacks and I totally understand your context. With Brian things were much different, but the same rules applied. He received warnings. Hell, I even offered to meet with him next week while I'm in Los Angeles. 

Alright.  Thanks Chris.  I'll be more circumspect in future comments.  Should have just put BL on ignore. 

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Brian Lucey is banned here?

smh

Rightfully so if you ask me.   Nothing directly related to MQA.  He is anti-MQA, I am anti-MQA.  He just didn't play nice with others in the kindergarten sense.