IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, firedog said:

People can convice themselves of all sorts of things - and believe them - when profit is involved.

The hope of profit not profit. Bob Stuart has reached a unique milestone in high end audio. He has managed to lose $100 dollars this century operating Meridian and MQA. Sorry I didn't post them here but I had my reasons. The current numbers are on Real HD Audio if you want to see them.

Tidal is also at an interesting point. Before Jack Dorsey bought a majority share, Tidal revenue and current liabilities were almost equal. Tidal funds its operations by not paying its bills. 

MQA is simply a bad business decision. The investors made a bad decision investing in MQA, manufacturers made a bad one by supporting it, Roon, Tidal, nug.net and others made a bad one by providing content.

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

John,

Since you're here on this thread, let's talk candidly. I appreciate all that you've done for the audiophile community over the decades. You can certainly be proud of many successes you have brought to Stereophile over the years. The measurements and continued focus on objective performance has made the magazine unique certainly in North America and among the magazines I've had access to during my "formative years" as an audiophile.

However, I suspect that the the time ahead for you as Technical Editor isn't going to be all that long. Honestly, how many more years are you keen to measure equipment? In fact, the age of most of your "top" writers are certainly up there and human auditory physiology has a universal trajectory. I hope you're well on the way to training the next person you'll be passing this baton on to for the Technical tasks. I'm sure there are many other things one would want to enjoy in retirement...

Your legacy however, IMO, is tainted in recent years by MQA. When you wrote the infamous article claiming to have witnessed the "birth of a new world" and comparing MQA with the dawn of consumer digital audio (CD), is this honestly what you expected to happen? Face it. MQA has done a horrendous disservice to the audiophile hobby. It has created a schism between those who feel that "we" care about "fidelity" at a level that can be technically demonstrated and proven (you're the Technical Editor, right?) versus those like Hans B above who offer weak words and admissions of "guessing".

I do not expect a reply to this. All I ask is that you think about not what MQA is since evidence is there for all to see, but at a "meta" level what MQA has done to the hobby and what it represents. Yes, I think MQA has opened up a "new world". But it's not the world you wrote about in December 2014. I think it has become a more honest world for audiophiles. MQA unintentionally may have brought audiophiles back into the technical side of the hobby; a side that I trust you are comfortable with.

There is an opportunity here to do the right thing IMO. Have a good look at MQA again as the Techical Editor all these years since 2014. Re-evaluate what you think of that "new world" and MQA's place in it. There's no shame in changing opinions. If you think this is necessary/appropriate, certainly many of us here would respect the integrity.

John has had a standing invitation to visit and explore Arizona Highways. Maybe spend some time on Rt 66 and visit the wild burros in Oatman Arizona. But I don't think he will change his mind.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 1:46 PM, John_Atkinson said:

Agree. And one of the participants, Vicki Melchior, is one of the most respected DSP experts around.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

John did you think nobody would check a few places like LinkedIn and Vicki Melchior’s article High-Resolution Audio: A History and Perspective? Vicki has four activities on LinkedIn and two of them reference Mike Jbara. Her article has many references to Bob Stuart articles too many for the number of streaming users with access to MQA as of the article’s date.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 1:10 AM, jparvio said:

Not sure who this was targeted to..?  Me?

When it comes to MQA I don't use it. I even moved from Tidal to Qobuz the minute they officially offered service in Finland since I don't accept Tidal´s MQA policy (replacing originals with MQA-versions). I believe people should be left with freedom of choice but they need to be educated so that they can select wisely.  

I'm not for foisting anything to anyone. Except for the truth when it comes to MQA. Saddens me to see where this all has lead; stationary War between the sides, much like the WW1.

What a shame, really.   

Jussi, here is how it looks to me. Investors put in $52 million and are committed to put in in another $13 million. The labels contributed $11million in services and about 200 plus members of audio press actively supported MQA. The oposition was a few real professionals, some very good engineers and more than a few audiophiles thought things seemed fishy.  

I never liked WW1 analogies but if this is staionary war, the casulaties are investors money and audio journalists. The investors can spend all the money they want but it won't change the outcome. And if we lose 300 to 400 audio journalists I don't have a problem with that. They all have nice portfolios of ad copy, what you call reviews to for their next employers.

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

Hope you're having fun down there man!

Heard it's pretty small as expected this year so lots of time to savor your favourite rooms and even take in more MQA demo ;-).

Wondering, when they demo mQa these days, are they switching between a standard 16/48 or "hi-res" version and the mQa decoded version or is it just... "Here's the MQA! Ain't it awesome?", any A/B comparison?

Just dealer playing an MQA file. Stand alone, he just said it was MQA after the song.

28 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Would love to hear from @Rt66indierockif this was an actual MQA demo or just some off-the-cuff dealer "show and tell".

Likewise, over the years, whether I've attended actual demos to show off MQA or at dealers, the test materials used really have not been true-hi-res stuff (once I heard a 2L recording in a demo in 2016, that was basically it).

Of course for mQa, they want to imply that the codec is "Good for any music!" but by not selecting tracks that even could benefit from the technology, it just doesn't speak well about the knowledge/awareness of what it is they're selling nor consistent with the advertising claims. I suspect the "knowledge gap" between many informed audiophiles and the professional demo/sales people can be uncomfortably wide.

There was an information gap, my SO Sheri asked me why are we are listening to tape hiss. She will never attend another show with me.

I’m enjoying myself and catching up with people but anybody who writes they are listening to great systems is fooling themselves.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

I haven’t read the last 50 pages in this tread. The link beneath is a good summary of everything that’s bad with MQA. Maybe Chris can add this to the first post, so people don’t have to read 1000 pages. 

MQA REALLY IS A FRAUD!

This thread is working as I intended it to. A running commentary where I can say that was discussed or debunked years ago.

20 hours ago, UkPhil said:

Although not directly on topic I found this quote interesting from Barry Grint mastering engineer of Alchemy Mastering in UK in 2019.

“Warner Records, for example, go to extraordinary lengths to digitize their analog masters. They seek out the best possible copy, are meticulous in the transfer to 24bit 192 KHz, and make copious quality control notes. There is every opportunity for a mastering engineer to deliver this audio to a higher standard than was possible before.”

if that’s the case why would they market the sausage machine MQA conversions as master quality “better than lossless and an enhanced  than what was heard in the studio” unless it wasn’t driven by money with the hope they can lock the true master away from the consumer in the future. 

Why just give consumers a 24/96 or a 24/48 version for streaming I am sure that would suffice or if everyone is so worried about data amounts create a 20/96 file which no doubt will be reasonably average size and will hold most audible music anyone would need to consume 

Actualy we have talked about this before. And a Warner Music Rep at the LA Audio Show gave me the exact breakdown of the high files they had as of that date. Almost none were 24/192.

6 hours ago, Fokus said:

But that amounts to the use of a different master, perhaps even a different mix, and is not an innate part of the MQA technology.

Nope, Bob Stuart told me it changes the sound at the Los Angles Audio Show in 2017.

In any case, there are no alternate masters or mixes with thin sounding edges and a thicker middle of Dr Dog’s B Room yet they are in the MQA version.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Some interesting mQa info. 

I’m out in Los Angeles this week and had an opportunity to talk to a “civilian” who recently got interested in HiFi. He has some very basic but wisely selected gear. 

Out of the blue he asked me about mQa. Wanted to know my opinion. He said he was looking at differences between Qobuz and Tidal, and that sparked his interest in researching mQa. 

He found @GoldenOne’s videos right away. Unsurprisingly he didn’t connect the Chris in the RMAF snippet with me. Nonetheless, he wasn’t thrilled with mQa, after doing a little online research. 

You can hit all of the boulevards in “I Love LA” and fun places for children.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

What I would like to know: Is MQA still trying to foist this horrid scheme on the music consumer?

With all the recent examination is MQA conceding "We've been exposed".

OR

Is MQA working still to implement their scheme?

Bob Stuart won't give up until he runs out of money. The question is will the investors will notice MQA Ltd has no market share and not fund them for 2022.? Or notice that the maket is not interested in paying a premium for audio quality above AAC or 320k MP3? 

3 hours ago, RichardSF said:

Tidal hasn't released subscriber numbers in recent years, but it probably has less than 1% market share of streaming music, and Qobuz is even much smaller than Tidal. If you look at charts of market share, Tidal and Qobuz are usually not listed, and lumped into the "Others" category. As a point of reference, in 2019 Roon said they had 100K subscribers (equivalent of 2 football stadiums). In summary, audiophiles make up a very, very small portion of total market share.

https://www.midiaresearch.com/blog/global-music-subscriber-market-shares-q1-2021

On the Hifi tier the market share is less than a tenth of a percent.

• 2 weeks later...