MQA - wannabe but not

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 9/3/2023 at 10:40 PM, rickca said:

Wonderful irony if MQA files become pirated.

Its been possible to download MQA files from streamers like Tidal, as FLAC container MQA files, and store and play them from memory on an MQA device independently since about Aug 2021. So that's why its never going away because there are literally millions of downloaded MQA tracks purchased and otherwise residing on peoples computers and devices.

Of course the MQA encoder and final DAC decode data isn't available.. as yet.

Judging by the financials of $50M+ total losses I doubt MQA as a company is coming back from the dead anytime soon.

Clearly not the big money maker as claimed by so many!

With the additional cost to the chip makers of physically keeping MQA on the chip die being negligible at this point, its unlikely they will remove it as a feature especially if there is no company left to pay royalties to.

In time the Encoder software may get leaked, seeing as parts of the process are in others hands already - namely the DAW emulator VST plugin with the top studios, and Encoder software that is in the hands of the major publishers.  

7 hours ago, Fx Studio said:

Its been possible to download MQA files from streamers like Tidal, as FLAC container MQA files, and store and play them from memory on an MQA device independently since about Aug 2021. So that's why its never going away because there are literally millions of downloaded MQA tracks purchased and otherwise residing on peoples computers and devices.

Of course the MQA encoder and final DAC decode data isn't available.. as yet.

Judging by the financials of $50M+ total losses I doubt MQA as a company is coming back from the dead anytime soon.

Clearly not the big money maker as claimed by so many!

With the additional cost to the chip makers of physically keeping MQA on the chip die being negligible at this point, its unlikely they will remove it as a feature especially if there is no company left to pay royalties to.

In time the Encoder software may get leaked, seeing as parts of the process are in others hands already - namely the DAW emulator VST plugin with the top studios, and Encoder software that is in the hands of the major publishers.  

Why would they continue this travesty of garbage.

But why complicate chips with a useless feature that the majority of audiophiles don't like?

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

Why would they continue this travesty of garbage.

But why complicate chips with a useless feature that the majority of audiophiles don't like?

Because in chip production its more hassle to remove it than to leave it on, the unit cost of additional materials is negligible and it means a DAC/ amp manufacturer is more likely to spec it in just because it has additional features. The chips that don't have MQA like the one Topping uses are really intended for commercial applications like audio mixers and also used in home theatre surround sound processor/ amps. So I don't see MQA getting removed from DAC chips any time soon. 

19 minutes ago, botrytis said:

RIGHT - I guess you don't realize it is easy to just cut two little wires, on the chip, to take it out. The Chip fabs do it all the time with CPU's as that is how lower versions of CPU's are often made (Intel and AMD did this many times to make lower core products). Now with chiplet technology it is even easier, take out one chiplet and done (that is how AMD Ryzen CPU's APU's are made as is their newer GPU's).

You obviously never talked to a chip designer - I had a friend who worked with early on with AMD.

These chips are not made as chiplets that's advance large scale processors only on 5-4nm processes - DAC  chips are older way way lower tech just one single die. So no benefit in removing it unless they were doing a complete redesign.

25 minutes ago, botrytis said:

It is still easy to cut two little wires. I guess you never had any Intel chips that were supposed to be 12 core, only to find they cut 6 cores out to sell a cheaper chip.

Please stop - you do not know what you are talking about.

Thats a whole different ball game - its where the process is so advanced that failures of different modules occur so they design the chips so they can be downgraded if that happens and sold as a lower spec part. Its Advanced Semiconductor Ultraviolet Lithography made using machines manufactured by the Dutch company ASML.

DACs are very simple in comparison and are made using years old well proven manufacturing technology.

FPGA are programmable so there is no MQA hardware on them - just a stock part that's programmed by DAC/ amp manufacturer if they want to add extra features like upscaling. The same FPGA part could be in any number of different products like a TV doing upscaling.

6 hours ago, Currawong said:

See my previous, long post with all the "evidence" you said we didn't have. The 2nd and 3rd unfolds would require a 32-bit file according to MQA's own description. They don't exist. Any fold after the first was up-sampling. 

The "deeper bass" is simply more bass. And, again, see how minimum phase filters destroy the timing of the music. What you're hearing is worse, not better. You're just deceiving yourself now. 

It could be that the bass is just "more" - because listening to the track Starfire by ABT its very similar on the drum intro, though that has higher frequency components. My subs are the 21" Eminence NSW6021-6 in sealed/ lined concrete chambers which go down building shaking low on that track.

The vocals are definitely different though with the 3D vocals everywhere. I will try to do some more comparisons between the 3 types of file - the original hi-res FLAC, the MQA container FLAC folded, and the fully unfolded version on the Uapp. It should be noted that the Uapp MQA extension does require the setting "Bit Perfect" to be set and then feeds the twin DAC's directly.

8 hours ago, Currawong said:

See my previous, long post with all the "evidence" you said we didn't have. The 2nd and 3rd unfolds would require a 32-bit file according to MQA's own description. They don't exist. Any fold after the first was up-sampling. 

The "deeper bass" is simply more bass. And, again, see how minimum phase filters destroy the timing of the music. What you're hearing is worse, not better. You're just deceiving yourself now. 

I have just done another test using a FLAC Hi-Res and MQA of the same track - Dreams (feat Lanie Gardner) 2020.

The bass is cleaner, tighter and a bit more detailed on the FLAC, but weak on the 21" sub.

The FLAC vocals are detailed but definitely emanating from each speaker with the sound very centered - which I guess in a small room wouldn't be noticeable.

The MQA sound is everywhere in comparison, just hanging in the air more like a natural sound and much more pleasant to listen to on a big PA system in my studio.

But I get that If I had a smaller HiFi system in a small room then the FLAC with the greater detail would be the better choice.

It just depends what system people have, what space they are playing it in, and possibly their ability to perceive time domain information which may have a genetic component.