IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Unless the LT3045 have additional larger value (not Low ESR) electrolytic filter capacitors fitted in parallel, they WILL result in added HF detail which includes added harshness, or an increase in sibilance, as well as a boost in any existing HF noise  from the source material .

Any PSU which has a markedly decreasing impedance at >100kHz will result in this. This applies to Digital as well as Analogue applications . 

The output impedance of a power supply should be as low as possible , and as flat as possible between DC and >100kHz, and preferably 1MHz. 

If you used those boards without the additional filter capacitors in parallel , at least at their Input, for powering an Audio Amplifier you would almost certainly find this added HF detail too.;)
 Note also that Micael has been using daisy chained LT3045 PCBs to obtain an increase in HF detail with streaming, and his experiments in this area are well documented.

P.S.

In the PSU that I showed in my photo previously, if I hadn't used a parallel combination of a normal type 4700uF capacitor in parallel with a Low ESR 4700uF capacitor in the Capacitance Multiplier section., but used 2 x parallel Low ESR type 4700uF instead, I would also have had too much HF detail DESPITE the PSU being used in a Digital area. In fact, I still have a minor increase in HF detail with both A and V, which helps to make up for generational copying losses.

I understand your comment and may be the psu I am using may mean an increase in hf detail but not in hf noise. 

Since  my SSD psu are totally separate from the mobo psu , it seems to mean that the harshness was coming from the data side of rhe SSD .

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

On 3/26/2019 at 8:47 PM, Nenon said:

That would be very interesting. The content in a file is the same no matter where it is stored. I am guessing the audible differences we hear are due to some noise generated while pulling the file from its storage media. Does anyone have a better explanation? My guess is if can get to the bottom of that we might be able to create a buffer/reclocker/regenerator/whatever-you-want-to-call-it for files. If we can get those files to the RAM from any storage media without that noise, and play them from the RAM, I am guessing the storage would not matter that much.

A while back I was using ssd to store my music and experimenting with external hdd (usb connected ). 

My server is run on Daphile who can load the music in ram and play it from ram.  

I was loading in ram the exact same music file coming from ssd and hddd. 

The music was always better coming from hdd !

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

On 3/26/2019 at 8:34 PM, austinpop said:

Many thanks to Kevin @elan120 for whipping up a Visio of my crude sketch during a boring conference call at work!

Server-topology.png

Please see the position of the NAS in my topology above. It is a stock Synology 4-bay with HDDs and stock SMPS. I have a pending test to compare a track pulled from the NAS to the same placed in RAM (somewhere in the root partition) to the same read from the Optane SSD. My hope is that with my new topology, the SQ from the NAS is as good as the other 2. I'll update once I know.

Rajiv ,

I can see from this schematic that you are running your tx ultra at 12v .

Is it better in term of sq than running at 9v. If yes what does it brings in term of sq. 

May  from SOtM says they were recommending 9v. 

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

hmm. so I guess I can tell him what I need - e.g what my server is, how many amp I need etc and he may be able to build one then? I hope he is more reliable than Paul Hynes. From your article it takes 6 months to get the Server+ LPS !  A LPS to separately supply the CPU, ethernet etc. I already have a separate DC supply to SSD & USB bridge. 

I had also one psu DC3 2 time 12V 5A built by Sean Jacobs . 

This psu works flawlessly in my dual pc set up and dealing with Sean Jacobs what just pure pleasure . Very responsive to answer questions ans set up my psu design and delivery deadline was met right on time .

Sean Jacobs is the way to go for very good psu . 

I had previously a disatrous experience with Paul Hynes . I had ordered an SR7 from Paul Hynes  it was supposed to be delivered after roughly 3 month according to his commercial conditions  . After 6 month , I was getting only excuse … and no product or even an expected delivery date .

Hopefully I had paid the 4% paypal fee to be covered and after long and unfair exchanges from Paul , I was able to get my money back from Paypal.

I then went to Sean Jacobs and everything worked wonderfully .

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, RickyV said:

Wow, so everything SoTM is obsolete and replaced with the reed-dock, yields better SQ for 420 euro. That is not only a miracle it's a bargain too. It's pity it doesn't have USB and or i2s out.

15 hours ago, audio.bill said:

Actually it does support I2S as stated on the product page with connection details specified in the datasheet download.

Yes you are right , it does support i2s . But then it need to be integrated in the DAC and I do not have the technical knowledge to do that .

It will probably sound a little bit better this way and allows DSD  files playback.

Anyhow the sq using AES or spdif is truly already outstanding , read my previous post .

2 hours ago, soares said:

jean-michel6 What Kind of box are you using? From the web page it seems that they are just selling the logical plate + circuits. Thank you

Engineered is just selling the boards . I did bought the aluminium box from this web site https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/ they have a lot of good products for Audio DIY ( in Europe ) .

However there are many options on eBay .

6 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

@jean-michel6 What is the percieved benefit split between etheregen / eRED-DOCK in your system?  Which one would you buy first?

Very difficult question to answer . Both the etherregen and the engineered are excellent products which raise significantly the SQ of digital audio . 

To answer your question it depends on what is your system today . you can PM me if you wish 

4 hours ago, dtossan said:

Very impressive jean-michel

So you were comparing FLAC or DSD files played on your supermicro server, eR and eRED-DOCK chain against the APL CD/SACD Transport?

What did the APL play - files or discs?

We did use the same piece of music either from a cd on the APL CD player  or the same file ripped from this cd and written on   the usb hdd of the server.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, soares said:

Hi guys!

Following a long search for an Apacer 8GB memory for my Zen MKIII, I finally received it. Quite expensive (200$) and arriving from Slovakia after almost 3 weeks waiting. Let me say first that some companies on line (e.g. Price Blaze) despite announcing Apacer memories,  they send you Kingston’s or other brands... so be careful.

First impressions:

I went through a couple of favorite tracks:

Amália Rodrigues “Com que voz”

António Zambujo “Nem que seja”

Pedro Barroso “Em Sagres”

Mariza “Ó gente da minha terra”

Camané “Sei de um Rio”

Pablo Alborán/Carminho “Perdóname” (en português)

Vinicius de Moraes/Maria Creuza/Toquinho “Eu sei que vou te amar”

Joel Xavier “Lusitano” 

Adnan Joubran “Beat the drum”
Música Nuda“passione”

Dead Combo “Quando a alma não é pequena”

Etc...

As you might have guessed from my musical tastes I am not an English native speaker so I am not going to elaborate much on the SQ. I would just say that the differences are subtle but notable, timbres are better and the instruments sound  a little bit more crispy. Please take my evaluation with a grain of salt because my system is very accourate. Should You buy it? It’s up to you, but I will keep it.

Cheers Jorge

I bought myself a 4g  APACER ram and I like it also. 

I did got a nice sq boost : better bass , a little more detailed treeble and a little better soundstage.

For my system most significant improvement was the bass .

Could you give a link on where you bought it ?

Thank’s

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, matthias said:

Hi Jean-Michel,

did you compare Daphile vs. Audirvana, both via UPnP/DLNA ?

Thanks

Matt

I tried Audirvana but it was running from my Mac mini where Daphile is run on Linux from my dedicated audiophile pc server  .Daphile does sound better but it is not a very fair comparison.

Undortunately Audirvana does not have a Linux version  

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, elan120 said:

I put one together short time ago with different enclosure, and here is the post with one internal picture.

Hi Kevin  

I see that there is an evox capacity on the picture of your psu . Where is it used ? At the output of the mp audio module ? 
Does it helps with sq ?

Thank’s 

Thank’s , what is the reference of the thread where you report your experiment ?

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Exocer said:

In other news, my Buffalo BS-GS2016P has arrived:

Hi ,

About the buffalo , you purchased the 2016p which is the Poe version of the 2016 .

Does it use the same Broadcom chip as the 2016 and can you deactivate the Poe function to make it work like a regular 2016 ?

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, sandyk said:

SSDs need to have their cases securely connected to the 0 volt ("Earth") from the PSU, with their power leads screened too if possible as they emit far more RF/EMI back into the PSU, as well as radiate HF rubbish even into the Wi Fi region. (see attachment)

They also sound better if their supply is pre -regulated down to a very low noise +5V from the the main supply rail to help further isolate them from the rest of the PSU area. Their PSU needs to have as low and flat an output impedance from almost DC to 1MHZ,.otherwise HF noise and detail will be accentuated.(Low ESR Electrolytic capacitors, by design, have a much lower Impedance at 100kHz than the VF range )

14A2-B4.pdf 384.34 kB · 3 downloads

I really did take good care of my ssd

- they were the best Samsung pro 

- power was with a dedicated 5v psu mpaudio lt 3045 with good shielded diy psu cable 

- sata cable was the excellent Pachanko pure reference which is heavily shielded 

- the case of the ssd was attached to a heavy aluminium bloc as I did found it sounded better like that , however the case was not grounded as you recommend .

Even with all that hdd was better and no specific care for the hdd ( usb powered and ordinary usb cable ) 

Thank’s for the interesting attached document .

Altogether sata on mobo is also an EMI nest and noisy. I have totally disable sata on my demat pc’s with great sq results .