IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

4 hours ago, Bamber said:

While testing the modded W4S DAC2V2SE DAC I am now able to set the Jitter Eliminator setting to level 1 and also disable it.  I couldn't lower this setting below the default level 3 before the mod without frequent dropouts.

Very interesting! I guess this is the DAC's way of confirming your input has very low jitter.

Curious what this does, but I'm not expert on DAC internals. 

2 hours ago, Bamber said:

This setting controls the digital tracking for the ESS 9038PRO.   The lower the number the narrower the tracking window becomes and SQ can improve.

Previously if I lowered this setting to 2 while playing DSD128 or DSD256 tracks it resulted in dropouts.

So much to explore! Take your time @Bamber!

BTW - Does the DAC2v2 SE do native DSD or does it require DoP?

Just a quick teaser on my next area of exploration.

I've had my eye on the Cybershaft reference clock, ever since @hols wrote about it. I also got @zephyr24069's help and advice. He put me in touch with Kenji at Cybershaft, from whom I learned that their entire production run was sold out, and there was no ETA on a new product with the quality of the OP-14.

Well, my luck has turned. I was able to locate an OP-14, and it has been shipped to me. My intent is to use this as a reference clock for my trifecta, feeding the single 50 ohm master clock input of my tX-USBultra.

Just to set the context, the OP-14 is a curated unit, where the OCXO has been measured to have a 1Hz phase noise of -114.0 to -114.9 dBc/Hz. The Ref 10, by contrast, is even better, with a claimed phase noise of   -116 dBc/Hz at 1Hz. But at a third of the cost used, the OP-14 seems like a promising option.

Once I have my findings, I will report back. 

32 minutes ago, atxkyle said:

Has anyone else using the microRendu experienced frequent network conflicts (manifesting in loss of playback from Roon until you reboot the mR) when using this bridged-connection scheme?  And figured out how to resolve it?  

I suspect it has to do with the microRendu using a dynamic connection - static IP not supported in their OS. I contacted Sonore - the response was that they don't/won't support this connection scheme.

I've only ever had borrowed mR's for a few weeks at a time, but I've never seen any network issues with bridging, using DHCP with the mR.

I don't think the problem and potential solution lie in static IP addressing.

If Jesus can't help you, then your last resort is a hail Mary. :D

Patrick,

I asked Paul about this a couple weeks ago. His best guess was end-Sept/early Oct.

Here is a bit more detail from his email. I hope he doesn't mind my posting it here!

"To answer your questions regarding the SR4,

1)    I revised the printed circuit board layout of the SR4 to reduce the chassis machining requirements, which caused a delay with the production boards. I am reluctant to take pre orders until I have verified the electrical and sonic performance of these revised boards and it will be approx 2 weeks before they arrive. Once I am happy with the performance I will begin producing them and taking orders. I have all the other materials in stock to produce the first batch so I expect this to be towards the end of September/early October if all goes according to plan.
2)    The overall specification will be the same as the SR7 rails with the exception of available power delivery and the regulator output within current ratings will be below 3 milliohms.
3)    All my power supplies are galvanically isolated from AC ground and the supply rails are completely floating with respect to chassis earth as this eliminates interaction when using multiple power supply rails in a sound system. The mains transformers are configured as balanced transformers with balanced Schottky rectification to provide a high degree of common mode isolation from mains even before the voltage regulator supply rejection is factored in. You should not have any problems with leakage current artefacts when using these power supplies."

19 minutes ago, rickca said:

Can someone please explain what that means?

Rick, it refers to output impedance. See this post for more details:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/?do=findComment&comment=676168

It is a reference to the spec for the SR7, which was:

Output impedance < 3 milliohms DC to 100 KHz

Low output impedance is a key measure of a PSU's quality, and 3 milliohm over that frequency range is rather impressive.

25 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I would like to share my impressions from adding an isolating transformer with a floating secondary along with a DC voltage regulator/power supply to my system.  Thanks go to @Cornan for posting the concept and recommending the Gophert power supply (I am using a CPS-1610 16V 10A model) and @austinpop for recommending the BK Precision 1604A isolating transformer.

My objective was to improve the power supply to my Synology DS213+ NAS, where all of my music files reside.  Frankly, my expectations were low, but since the financial outlay was relatively small, I decided to give it a try.

I received the isolating transformer first.  There was a perceptible improvement, but I was not especially excited about the result.  However, after installing the Gophert, I heard a very dramatic improvement in sound quality.  Music became much more detailed and dynamic, images sharpened, and the soundstage deepened.  I heard the magic to which @Cornan has previously alluded.  (I am still only using the stock cable for the isolating transformer.  @Cornan says to expect further improvement from a star-quad ac power cable.)

I have now ordered a Tripp Lite IS500HG (with 4 outlets) and another Gophert for my router.  Before setting it up with the router, I plan to experiment using it to power my microRendu, ISO REGEN, and tX-USBultra.  The mR and IR are currently powered by separate LPS-1’s, and the tX-USBultra is powered by an sPS-500 with Pangea ac cable.  I am anticipating some interesting results.

Very cool!

Please keep us posted. I'm glad you Went-pher-it! :D

On 9/16/2017 at 8:14 PM, romaz said:

Like many of you, I value simplicity whenever I can get it which is one of the reasons I went away from Ethernet endpoints like the sMS-200ultra.  As a minimum, I know I could be very happy using a single sCLK-EX board (and its 4 clocks) and forgo reclocking the modem/router/switch, Iso-Regen and tX-USBultra.  This means that with a single box server with integrated sCLK-EX board, a 4-rail SR7, and a REF10, I would feel I was in end-game territory but I will say that adding the reclocked modem/router/switch, ISO-Regen and tX-USBultra definitely improves things further.  

Hi Roy,

Fascinating report, as always. I did have a few questions - especially regarding reclocking the modem/router/switch. 

1. Where do the two sCLK-EX reside in your system now? One is in the tX-USBultra. But the other? In your server enclosure?
  2. Is your ISP ingress close to your audio setup? My issue is that my ISP ingress is a 100 feet away in the opposite end of the house on a different floor. So modem/router clock mods would be tricky.
  3. What would you recommend for a Roon server that didn't require a from-the-ground-up custom build, that could still be modded to have the system clock, USB and ethernet clocks delivered from an sCLK-EX board? And be powered by a 12V LPSU?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Listening Impression with the Cybershaft OP-14 Reference Clock - Part 1

As I mentioned a few days ago, I was very fortunate to recently acquire a Cybershaft OCXO Premium OP-14 reference clock. The current OCXO Premium line is sold out. A few weeks after my initial inquiry, Kenji @ Cybershaft informed me he had produced a unit that passed the OP-14 classification (more on this below), and would I be interested in buying it? 

Yes I would! 

Of course, my initial hope was to find a used unit - my budget is limited, after all. But this unit is rare to find used, and probably commands a resale price close to retail anyway. So I ordered it, along with their under-$20 0.5m 50 ohm clock cable.

Before I get into the listening impressions, a word about this device. Here is the web page: http://www.cybershaft.jp/a-products/premiumop.html. To view, allow Google to translate it for you. Some general comments:
  • As I understand it, Cybershaft classifies units with OP-11 to OP-14 designations based on a process of curation of OCXO's by actual testing and calibration. The OP-14 has the lowest phase noise characteristics (Offset 1 Hz) of -114.0 to -114.9 dBc / Hz.  
  • My unit came with its own calibration certificate showing it measured at -114.8 dBc / Hz at 1Hz, and -132.4 dBc / Hz at 10Hz.
  • In comparison, the Mutec Ref 10's phase noise ratings are:
    • 1 Hz:               ≤  -116 dBc/Hz
    • 10 Hz:             ≤  -142 dBc/Hz
  • The Mutec Ref 10 has much more impressive numbers. In addition, it has 8 galvanically isolated clock outputs, to the OP-14's single output. So these units address different needs, and the feature differences go a long way toward explaining the price difference. NOTE - I don't really have a deep knowledge of how these numbers relate to SQ, so please don't ask me! I am curious, of course.
  • Still, for my trifecta, requiring a single reference clock input, the OP-14 seemed a perfect fit. 
  • A note about availability. Kenji @ Cybeshaft told me they are very soon going to roll out a new product - the OCXO Platinum - which will have a phase noise rating of -109dBc/Hz. He would not say whether they would offer curated lower phase noise offerings like the OPxx. Regardless, if you are interested in these, do contact Kenji Hasegawa and let him know your interest.

But how does it sound? That comes next. I'll try to post that tonight so as not to keep y'all on tenterhooks for too long!
3 hours ago, zephyr24069 said:

Great post with a lot of detail!  Your listed points parallel with what I've heard out of an OP14 level curated unit from Cybershaft with my Esoteric stack and are also what I'm hearing with my new Cybershaft OPxx curated unit that was custom-build with several features that may make it into other units in the future. The improvements are extremely noticeable and when I remove the clock from the circuit, my experience is the same, i.e. that I miss it dearly and the transformation low-phase noise OCXO 10 mHz clocking brings to my system.  These clocks effectively upgrade my transport-DAC combo "in place" and allow everything to achieve its full potential. As you say,...YMMV; this has been a very interesting trip to say the least!

Thanks, and that is good to hear you reinforce my impressions. I am also intrigued to hear of the OPxx unit you're using. You've clearly known this company a lot longer than I.

I didn't get any clarity from Kenji about whether the new Platinum line, which is not yet out, will also have a curated OPxx variant, like the Premium line did. It sounds like that is still going to be the approach? Or am I reading too much into this?

2 hours ago, mozes said:

Thanks for posting your impressions @austinpop it is really amazing that there is no limit to SQ improvements. I share your findings that improvements in the digital front end pay generous dividends without costing rediciulous $$$.

I am very intrigued by the upcoming SOTM master clock, I trust what these guys are doing. Most importantly it will be more affordable than the Ref 10.

Hi Moussa,

Yes this really sets the stage for the entrance of the SOtM clock. Will it have multiple outputs? What are the specs, in comparison to the Cybershaft and the Mutec? And most importantly, how does it compare sonically!

3 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

My biggest concern is the power supply ability of the master clock?  Hopefully the SOtM solution is adjustable to external power.

I hear you. In an ideal world, I'd like to see more manufacturers enable an external PSU, so the consumer can decide.

FWIW, Cybershaft does seem to have paid some attention to their internal LPS - quoting from their translated site:

• For the power supply section, use a special order large R core transformer with a minimum leakage flux. In addition, SiC Schottky barrier diode, large capacity low ESR capacitor, OSCON is adopted and ultra low noise linear power supply is realized. The occurrence of spurious caused by power supply noise is reduced as much as possible by phase noise verification.
3 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Here they are:  http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sclk-ocx10/

Seems like there are 3 options.

And here is the press release:

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/press-release-rmaf-2017/

It looks like you can configure your choice of quality/performance upon purchase to Standard, Advanced, or Reference. And - it will have 4 outputs!

On first glance, the Reference phase noise values match or exceed the Ref 10, but as always, how it sounds is what matters.

I asked May about pricing, but she asked us to wait a bit longer as they were not ready to reveal that yet.

I'm really looking to the demo in RMAF.

41 minutes ago, rickca said:

Any idea what these performance levels really mean? 

At a simplistic level: 

• lower number, good
  • higher number, bad!  :P

But more seriously, let's overlay the numbers with the Cybershaft and the Ref 10.

Typical Phase noise(dBC/Hz)

My

sCLK-OCX10                       Cybershaft    Mutec
     Frequency  Standard  Advanced  Reference       OP-14         Ref 10 (published)
         10Hz  :       -125         -135        -140                   -132.4              ≤ -142
       100Hz  :       -150         -160        -160                   -141.9              ≤ --155
         1KHz  :       -160        -163        -165                                             ≤ --160
       10KHz  :       -165        -165        -165
      100KHz  :      -165        -165        -165
      Noise floor:                                                                                        ≤ -166

So, on paper these numbers looks very good. Let's hope the SQ of the unit matches up. Based on their track record with the sCLK-EX, I feel rather optimistic that it will.

Oh, and also - I'm very glad to see it has a 12V DC input, so you can use your favorite PSU with it.

5 minutes ago, rickca said:

Sorry, what I meant to ask was what are the dBc/Hz for standard/advanced/reference.  Please update your post to say dBc/Hz rather than dB/Hz.  So you provided what I wanted ... where did you get that information?

Sorry about the dB instead of dBc. It was in the text from the SOtM product page, and I just cut and pasted. See: http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sclk-ocx10/ . Scroll down to Specifications.

The Cybershaft numbers are from the calibration sheet that came with my unit.

The Ref 10 numbers are from here: https://www.mutec-net.com/product_ref_10.php#data

The other thing I asked is whether SOtM has ever provided a similar phase noise graph for the sCLK-EX.  I'd love to see that.

They haven't, as far as I know. I would, too!

What exactly is different about a Reference vs Advanced vs Standard unit.  Different hardware?

I am guessing it's the same system hardware, but different OCXOs for each. But this is just a guess. Or - they may just curate, like Cybershaft.

Let's not speculate (he said, after doing just that). 9_9 We'll know soon enough.