IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

10 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

mindset said "I do not know what you were getting that old version of sacd_extract."

I did mention I got it from Ted_B's Autoscript (in this thread), how could you tell that it was an old version of sacd_extract?

That is a little difficult one.  I believe the only publicly available version-controlled sources of sacd_extract executable are here: https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/releases  and the one in iso2dsd.  Perhaps you can compare md5sum of your executable with these?

14 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

I think the bottom line is that when I extract files from SACD's, I only need the DSF version because it's uncompressed  DSD (which is what I want) and has better native support for metadata (DFF can store metadata ID3 format in the DFF's internal data block, but the DFF file player must also be capable of recognizing ID3 chunks).

Have I got it right?

Absolutely!

20 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

I think the bottom line is that when I extract files from SACD's, I only need the DSF version because it's uncompressed  DSD (which is what I want) and has better native support for metadata (DFF can store metadata ID3 format in the DFF's internal data block, but the DFF file player must also be capable of recognizing ID3 chunks).

Have I got it right?

Yes

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

12 hours ago, mindset said:

You are actually using pretty old codes.

Ohh boy ?, guess I have to start from scratch then - thanks for pointing that out! 

14 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

Don't know what version sacd_extract.exe is ...

That's a huge problem IMHO by now, as most "bundled sacd_extracts" are a bit outdated.

For instance if sacd_extract -? does not provide the argument -t (for invididual SACD track extraction) it's rather pre 2015 sourced or versionwise 0.3.6 or older:

CHANGELOG of original sources:

version 0.3.8

- fixed a bug where a DSF export truncated sample data (Chuck Anderson)

version 0.3.7

- fixed a bug where arranger phonetic was referenced incorrectly during print (-P)
    - option to allow individual dsf/dsdiff track extraction
    - added (foobar) compatible escaping to cuesheets
    - added user optional output filename/folder (last parameter)

version 0.3.6

- network speed improvement
    - added native OS X support
    - gapless is on by default for individual tracks
    - fixed issue where CUE export wrote to wrong filename

version 0.3.5

- added ID3 tags to Edit Master for multiple ID3 tagging
    - added option to export individual CUE Sheets
    - fixed DSTI table where DST Edit Master > 2GB
    - fixed SACD to ID3 genre conversion table

version 0.3.4 (bug fix release, please update if running 0.3.3)

- fixed a bug where DSTI was incorrectly part of DSD chunk

version 0.3.3 (bug fix release, please update if running 0.3.2)

- fixed a bug where a wrong DSDIFF header was written for edit masters

version 0.3.2

- added DSDIFF Edit Master (single DSD file) support
    - added CUE Sheet support for Edit Master
    - added DST frame buffer overflow protection
    - added DST frame index chunk support
    - removed gapless support (replaced by DSDIFF Edit Master)
    - merged Maxims optimized FIR decoder
sacd_extract -?
Usage: sacd_extract [options] [outfile]
  -2, --2ch-tracks                : Export two channel tracks (default)
  -m, --mch-tracks                : Export multi-channel tracks
  -e, --output-dsdiff-em          : output as Philips DSDIFF (Edit Master) file
  -p, --output-dsdiff             : output as Philips DSDIFF file
  -s, --output-dsf                : output as Sony DSF file
  -z, --dsf-nopad                 : Do not zero pad DSF (cannot be used with -t)
  -t, --select-track              : only output selected track(s) (ex. -t 1,5,13)
  -I, --output-iso                : output as RAW ISO
  -w, --concurrent                : Concurrent ISO+DSF/DSDIFF processing mode
  -c, --convert-dst               : convert DST to DSD
  -C, --export-cue                : Export a CUE Sheet
  -i, --input[=FILE]              : set source and determine if "iso" image, 
                                    device or server (ex. -i 192.168.1.10:2002)
  -o, --output-dir[=DIR]          : Output directory (ISO output dir for concurrent processing mode)
  -y, --output-dir-conc[=DIR]     : DSF/DSDIFF Output directory for concurrent processing mode
  -P, --print                     : display disc and track information

Help options:
  -?, --help                      : Show this help message
  --usage                         : Display brief usage message

@mindset How feasible would it be to implement the following arguments for better version information and source origin?

-v, --version			  : shows official version number
  -gr,--git-repo		  : displays the git repository from which the source package originated
  -gp,--git-patch-date		  : states the date of the latest patch comitted to the sources

9 minutes ago, Nexus3 said:

1- That's a huge problem IMHO - by now as most "bundled sacd_extracts" are a bit outdated.

2- For instance if sacd_extract -? does not provide the argument -t (for invididual SACD track extraction) it's rather pre 2015 sourced or versionwise 0.3.6 or older...

3- How feasible would it be to implement the following arguments for better version information and source origin?

1- Huge problem- Agreed.

2- The version I have has the -t argument...so by your statement above, is .0.3.7 or above?

3- Outstanding idea!!!

1 hour ago, BluRay444 said:

I only need the DSF version because it's uncompressed  DSD (which is what I want) and has better native support for metadata (DFF can store metadata ID3 format in the DFF's internal data block, but the DFF file player must also be capable of recognizing ID3 chunks).

Indeed DSF seems to be very popular.

But let's say full ISO backups are not desired and external playback (DSD files via USB stick on blu-ray players or amplifiers) isn't the aim either, have you considered giving WavPack a try?

It supports DSD lossless compression profiles since Version 5 and offers full tagging support.

3 minutes ago, Nexus3 said:

Indeed DSF seems to be very popular.

But let's say full ISO backups are not desired and external playback (DSD files via USB stick on blu-ray players or amplifiers) isn't the aim either, have you considered giving WavPack a try?

It supports DSD lossless compression profiles since Version 5 and offers full tagging support.

I already do full ISO backups (and you probably know that JRiver does play SACD ISOs in addition to other DSD files); I'll keep WavPack in mind once I see how JRiver handles tagging, because it is what I use for everything now, it's an awesome product. I have one central JRMC server for all media and JRMC renderers in several rooms- full bandwidth BluRay and UHD over the network; and the Library maintenance tools are better than any I've ever seen. Thanks for the tip, going to look into WavPack to find out more about it.

1 minute ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Is there a good reason to consider Wavpack?

1. Basically all the good reasons why NOT to store PCM sound data as WAVE or AIFF anymore, translocated into the DSD world.

2. Its lossless, hence the original input file (.DSF or .DFF) can be recreated  down to the last bit and file hash value.

3. Has several compression profiles, to fit any hardware decompression capability.

4. Supports TAGs with embedded cuesheets and cover arts

5. Can act as a lossless converter .DFF -> .WV -> .DSF

6. Its a free format and actively developed

2 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

@mindset How feasible would it be to implement the following arguments for better version information and source origin?

-v, --version			  : shows official version number
  -gr,--git-repo		  : displays the git repository from which the source package originated
  -gp,--git-patch-date		  : states the date of the latest patch comitted to the sources

Yes, it's most likely feasible.  Will try implementing something like that. 

2 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

I think Nexus3 is alluding to it having better metadata support... DSF has metadata support described as "may be issues with artwork size and/or resolution for DSF audio player."

Ah.  I have not had such issues so far as I am aware of them.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

2 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

1. Basically all the good reasons why NOT to store PCM sound data as WAVE or AIFF anymore, translocated into the DSD world.

2. Its lossless, hence the original input file (.DSF or .DFF) can be recreated  down to the last bit and file hash value.

3. Has several compression profiles, to fit any hardware decompression capability.

4. Supports TAGs with embedded cuesheets and cover arts

5. Can act as a lossless converter .DFF -> .WV -> .DSF

6. Its a free format and actively developed

1.  Not that I am aware of.

2.  OK.

3.  That I accept as a good point.

4.  Not my problem.

5.  Not my problem.

6.  Good.

Aside from the compression/decompression capability, I do not see anything compelling.  I may give it a try and see how much space I save and how much overhead is with multichannel DSF.  I did not see anything about it supporting DSD128-512 or being supported by Roon. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

13 minutes ago, Nexus3 said:

IT WORKS with the GUI !

Extraction (and conversion to DSF) rate was well over 2 MB/sec for a stereo only SACD.

Great.  For direct DSF generation from a disc, it should go as fast as ISO extraction (around 3MB/s) on a fast enough computer, which the original didn't.  Maybe there is a slow wifi bottleneck somewhere between your computer and the player?

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I may give it a try and see how much space I save and how much overhead is with multichannel DSF.

The compression ratio is ~40 per cent for stereo, should improve for multichannel.

wavpack *.dsf -h -v

WAVPACK  Hybrid Lossless Audio Compressor  Linux Version 5.1.0
 Copyright (c) 1998 - 2017 David Bryant.  All Rights Reserved.

01 - Sandy Lam - Di Han.dsf:
created (and verified) 01 - Sandy Lam - Di Han.wv in 38.75 secs (lossless, 44.35%)                                

02 - Sandy Lam - Huang Hun.dsf:
created (and verified) 02 - Sandy Lam - Huang Hun.wv in 34.58 secs (lossless, 40.06%)                                

03 - Sandy Lam - Ji Qing.dsf:
created (and verified) 03 - Sandy Lam - Ji Qing.wv in 39.04 secs (lossless, 42.13%)                                

04 - Sandy Lam - Zi Zhi Kong Jian (Album Version.dsf:
created (and verified) 04 - Sandy Lam - Zi Zhi Kong Jian (Album Version.wv in 35.63 secs (lossless, 38.49%)                                

05 - Sandy Lam - Ming Yun Shi Fou Zhe Yang.dsf:
created (and verified) 05 - Sandy Lam - Ming Yun Shi Fou Zhe Yang.wv in 38.02 secs (lossless, 40.33%)                                

06 - Sandy Lam - Jue Jue.dsf:
created (and verified) 06 - Sandy Lam - Jue Jue.wv in 34.75 secs (lossless, 43.56%)                                

07 - Sandy Lam - Ye Xing Ren.dsf:
created (and verified) 07 - Sandy Lam - Ye Xing Ren.wv in 41.04 secs (lossless, 43.97%)                                

08 - Sandy Lam - Xin Sui Xiang.dsf:
created (and verified) 08 - Sandy Lam - Xin Sui Xiang.wv in 31.61 secs (lossless, 38.43%)                                

09 - Sandy Lam - Hui Se.dsf:
created (and verified) 09 - Sandy Lam - Hui Se.wv in 34.30 secs (lossless, 38.96%)                                

10 - Sandy Lam - Hui Se Hua Zhuang.dsf:
created (and verified) 10 - Sandy Lam - Hui Se Hua Zhuang.wv in 31.95 secs (lossless, 37.84%)                                

11 - Sandy Lam - Zui Jia Nan Zhu Jia (Album Version).dsf:
created (and verified) 11 - Sandy Lam - Zui Jia Nan Zhu Jia (Album Version).wv in 33.81 secs (lossless, 39.92%)                                

12 - Sandy Lam - Zao Chen.....dsf:
created (and verified) 12 - Sandy Lam - Zao Chen.....wv in 39.96 secs (lossless, 40.73%)                                

13 - Sandy Lam - Chang Jie Di Yi Jiao.dsf:
created (and verified) 13 - Sandy Lam - Chang Jie Di Yi Jiao.wv in 35.19 secs (lossless, 40.07%)                                

14 - Sandy Lam - Xia Yu Tian (Album Version).dsf:
created (and verified) 14 - Sandy Lam - Xia Yu Tian (Album Version).wv in 45.41 secs (lossless, 38.79%)                                

15 - Sandy Lam - Tai Yang San Xia.dsf:
created (and verified) 15 - Sandy Lam - Tai Yang San Xia.wv in 30.30 secs (lossless, 35.91%)                                

16 - Sandy Lam - Dong Fang Xi Fang.dsf:
created (and verified) 16 - Sandy Lam - Dong Fang Xi Fang.wv in 37.69 secs (lossless, 38.19%)                                

**** 16 files successfully processed ****

Stereo comparison chart - DST vs DSF vs WV:

DST-DSD-WavPack_comparison.thumb.png.6d236ceb885194a4f67cd342c45273ea.png

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

Is there a restriction on the size of the cover art files for DSF?

The WavPack manual states:

--allow-huge-tags = allow tag data up to 16 MB (otherwise it's 1 MB)

14 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

The compression ratio is ~40 per cent for stereo, should improve for multichannel.

wavpack *.dsf -h -v

WAVPACK  Hybrid Lossless Audio Compressor  Linux Version 5.1.0
 Copyright (c) 1998 - 2017 David Bryant.  All Rights Reserved.

01 - Sandy Lam - Di Han.dsf:
created (and verified) 01 - Sandy Lam - Di Han.wv in 38.75 secs (lossless, 44.35%)                                

02 - Sandy Lam - Huang Hun.dsf:
created (and verified) 02 - Sandy Lam - Huang Hun.wv in 34.58 secs (lossless, 40.06%)                                

03 - Sandy Lam - Ji Qing.dsf:
created (and verified) 03 - Sandy Lam - Ji Qing.wv in 39.04 secs (lossless, 42.13%)                                

04 - Sandy Lam - Zi Zhi Kong Jian (Album Version.dsf:
created (and verified) 04 - Sandy Lam - Zi Zhi Kong Jian (Album Version.wv in 35.63 secs (lossless, 38.49%)                                

05 - Sandy Lam - Ming Yun Shi Fou Zhe Yang.dsf:
created (and verified) 05 - Sandy Lam - Ming Yun Shi Fou Zhe Yang.wv in 38.02 secs (lossless, 40.33%)                                

06 - Sandy Lam - Jue Jue.dsf:
created (and verified) 06 - Sandy Lam - Jue Jue.wv in 34.75 secs (lossless, 43.56%)                                

07 - Sandy Lam - Ye Xing Ren.dsf:
created (and verified) 07 - Sandy Lam - Ye Xing Ren.wv in 41.04 secs (lossless, 43.97%)                                

08 - Sandy Lam - Xin Sui Xiang.dsf:
created (and verified) 08 - Sandy Lam - Xin Sui Xiang.wv in 31.61 secs (lossless, 38.43%)                                

09 - Sandy Lam - Hui Se.dsf:
created (and verified) 09 - Sandy Lam - Hui Se.wv in 34.30 secs (lossless, 38.96%)                                

10 - Sandy Lam - Hui Se Hua Zhuang.dsf:
created (and verified) 10 - Sandy Lam - Hui Se Hua Zhuang.wv in 31.95 secs (lossless, 37.84%)                                

11 - Sandy Lam - Zui Jia Nan Zhu Jia (Album Version).dsf:
created (and verified) 11 - Sandy Lam - Zui Jia Nan Zhu Jia (Album Version).wv in 33.81 secs (lossless, 39.92%)                                

12 - Sandy Lam - Zao Chen.....dsf:
created (and verified) 12 - Sandy Lam - Zao Chen.....wv in 39.96 secs (lossless, 40.73%)                                

13 - Sandy Lam - Chang Jie Di Yi Jiao.dsf:
created (and verified) 13 - Sandy Lam - Chang Jie Di Yi Jiao.wv in 35.19 secs (lossless, 40.07%)                                

14 - Sandy Lam - Xia Yu Tian (Album Version).dsf:
created (and verified) 14 - Sandy Lam - Xia Yu Tian (Album Version).wv in 45.41 secs (lossless, 38.79%)                                

15 - Sandy Lam - Tai Yang San Xia.dsf:
created (and verified) 15 - Sandy Lam - Tai Yang San Xia.wv in 30.30 secs (lossless, 35.91%)                                

16 - Sandy Lam - Dong Fang Xi Fang.dsf:
created (and verified) 16 - Sandy Lam - Dong Fang Xi Fang.wv in 37.69 secs (lossless, 38.19%)                                

**** 16 files successfully processed ****

Stereo comparison chart - DST vs DSF vs WV:

DST-DSD-WavPack_comparison.thumb.png.6d236ceb885194a4f67cd342c45273ea.png

The WavPack manual states:

Here is something that is not clear to me.

Say I have tagged DSF files accessed by JRiver.  I apply WavPac to one or more of them.  Now, can I go back and edit their tags in JRiver as usual?  Can I  then store the edited tags back in the compressed media file without having manually to unpack to DSF then repack using WavPac?  In other words is tagging functionally identical in JRiver with a WavPac file to a DSF file with no extra steps?

Hello everyone. 

I know it's been ages since my last post, but I finally got around to connecting the cheap and cheerful S490 to my TV with an HDMI cable, and then to the modem with an Ethernet cable. 

Downloaded the script files to a newly formatted USB stick.

Downloaded ISO2dsd on my trusty old windows 7 laptop and went for it. I wasn't really expecting it to work the first time - and it didn't.

It all went according to plan, the drawer opened i stuck the disc in it closed and went to sleep then I got the following error message on my laptop:

Response result non-zero or disc opened 
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.0.24:2002 for reading 

Took the disc out tried another disc and it all worked flawlessly. I don't know if I was just a bit premature running ISO2dsd on my first attempt but I managed to rip 2 discs without any problem at all afterwards.

So I want to say a great big THANK YOU to Phthalocyanine and all you other guys and girls on this forum that have taken the time and trouble to make this possible.

I was so fed up having my music locked on SACD'S that I couldn't listen to without having to find the disc and putting it in the player.

In fact after a while I didn't bother anymore and just listened to the CD versions. 

Now I'll be able to create my own playlists of my favorite songs and play then wherever I want to.  fantastic!

P.S. does anyone know of way to rip the music from my DVD-AUDIO discs?  Yes i have a pile of those too, but  haven't found a reliable way to successfully rip them all.

I'm trialing a bit of software called  "DVD audio extractor" at the moment, which seems to work well with some discs but not others e.g. REM monster or Automatic for the people. These discs I think have some sort of encryption on them that I think  the DVD audio extractor software just cant decode. It goes through the motions (very quickly) but then the resultant outputted file is empty. 

Thanks once again for making this possible.

11 minutes ago, Rightsaidfred said:

I'm trialing a bit of software called  "DVD audio extractor" at the moment, which seems to work well with some discs but not others e.g. REM monster or Automatic for the people. These discs I think have some sort of encryption on them that I think  the DVD audio extractor software just cant decode. It goes through the motions (very quickly) but then the resultant outputted file is empty. 

I had that very problem with my DVD-A of Gaucho (not for the 5.1, but for the stereo track.). The solution was to use DVD Audio Explorer☺️

4 hours ago, Rightsaidfred said:

does anyone know of way to rip the music from my DVD-AUDIO discs?

DVD-Audio Extractor has worked on every single DVD-A disc I've ever thrown at it, that includes my copies of R.E.M. Monster, Automatic For The People, and Steely Dan Gaucho. 

And now before the thread police descend on the scene...

OTA.gif.93331dc73ec082a4d3f8e7554f67fc71.gif

There's gotta be another existing thread for DVD-A ripping tips, or if not then someone might wish to start one.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

DVD-Audio Extractor has worked on every single DVD-A disc I've ever thrown at it, that includes my copies of R.E.M. Monster, Automatic For The People, and Steely Dan Gaucho. 

And now before the thread police descend on the scene...

OTA.gif.93331dc73ec082a4d3f8e7554f67fc71.gif

There's gotta be another existing thread for DVD-A ripping tips, or if not then someone might wish to start one.

Hi Mikey and Srrndhound,

I'm afraid I've spent a good few hours playing with DVD audio extractor and  DVD audio explorer but have made very little progress.

I've been using "Monster" and "Automatic for the people" as my test discs but can't seem to get them to rip.

The DVD explorer software is quite interesting as it shows whats on the disc quite clearly, and even goes through the motions (as does DVD audio extractor) of ripping a selected track, but then as always, the outputted file wont play and shows as having no length. Very strange indeed.  

Is there anything within the settings that you can think of that I may need to alter? 

I can however report that DVD audio extractor does rip Blu-ray audio discs without any problems. I tested Amy Winehouse Back to black tonight and that ripped and played flawlessly. 

If there is a dvd-a ripping thread I should be posting on please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that anyone can offer.

Cheers.