IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

On 8/25/2018 at 3:00 PM, Dick Darlington said:

The Oppo is fine with GPT. As long as the AutoScript volume is in indeed the *first* volume on the disk of course. 

Right.  But that’s not always easy to accomplish, and it’s easy to mess up.  If you’re at the point where you’re about to sell your Oppo player, I would recommend taking 30 seconds and try reformatting your USB drive as MBR.

Hi, I love this thread and this weekend I was able to rip a dozen SACDs from my Oppo 105d (Darbee Edition) to my NAS to be used with Roon.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but is there similar software -- to sacd_extract -- to extract Bluray Audio from disks using the Oppo player?

Thanks,

Damon

3 hours ago, bioplaid said:

...is there similar software -- to sacd_extract -- to extract Bluray Audio from disks using the Oppo player?

I'm pretty confident the answer to that is "no".

But it is easy do to with a BluRay drive (like the Pioneer BDR-XD05B) and two software programs; MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor.

7 hours ago, meli said:

I'm pretty confident the answer to that is "no".

But it is easy do to with a BluRay drive (like the Pioneer BDR-XD05B) and two software programs; MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor.

Yeah, there's no good reason for anyone to put any effort into using these players to rip anything other than SACD's as there are already PC based solutions for the other media.  There's probably a decent chance that it would be possible, but the effort that would be required to research it just isn't worth it.

13 hours ago, bioplaid said:

Hi, I love this thread and this weekend I was able to rip a dozen SACDs from my Oppo 105d (Darbee Edition) to my NAS to be used with Roon.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but is there similar software -- to sacd_extract -- to extract Bluray Audio from disks using the Oppo player?

Thanks,

Damon

No, you cannot extract BD or DVD via the Oppo.  You need PC software to unlock the DRM, and that can only be run with the discs via a directly attached BD/DVD drive, which an Oppo, etc. is not.  My internal Pioneer BD drive cost about $40.  It works perfectly using SlyFox and JRiver.

On 4/15/2018 at 2:47 AM, Phthalocyanine said:

That "Buda" folder is a Blu-Ray connect download folder that the player creates.

It has nothing to do with SACD ripping.

I'll PM you a copy of our guide.

Hello fellow sacd lovers! 

First I want to say thank you everyone on here for all the information you all have so kindly posted. It is very much appreciated. 

I have a bdp-s590 and I want so badly want to be able to rip my bob dylan sacds. I have been through this thread and to be honest the more I read the more I get confused. This seems a little bit over my head buy I have wanted to do this since 2005 and I am determined to now that there is a way.

My real question, is there a step by step guide to do this with my bdp-s590? 

56 minutes ago, Shaneacook1989 said:

My real question, is there a step by step guide to do this with my bdp-s590? 

I, in collaboration with my colleague Undertone, did a guide, which @Dick Darlington is currently hosting in his dropbox folders of SACD ripping materials.  I'll PM you the guide, but it is worth finding Dick_Darlington's link to all his materials too.

My guide is for a particular method -- local ripping to a USB drive, and involves the use of telnet and command line.

Others have done guides for the "server" method, which some find easier.

23 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

I, in collaboration with my colleague Undertone, did a guide, which @Dick Darlington is currently hosting in his dropbox folders of SACD ripping materials.  I'll PM you the guide, but it is worth finding Dick_Darlington's link to all his materials too.

My guide is for a particular method -- local ripping to a USB drive, and involves the use of telnet and command line.

Others have done guides for the "server" method, which some find easier.

Sir you are my new hero! I will be taking down the poster of MacGyver and replacing it with a picture of you lol. In all seriousness thank you so much for the pm I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. 

Do I just do a search for his link here on the forum for the materials? 

There is a youtube video I posted the link to below of someone using the server method with an oppo player. Is that possible with our sony bdp-s590? And is the software/program the same for the oppo as the sony? I'm pretty much asking if I can do exactly what he did with my bdp-s590?

Again I cannot thank you enough!

25 minutes ago, Shaneacook1989 said:

Is that possible with our sony bdp-s590? 

Yes you can use the server method with the Sony but with 2 main differences:

1.  The ripper software is different -- you need to use the variant for the Pioneer 160

2.  You need to do the work-around "toggle" of the audio settings in the Sony just before you hit start on Iso2DSD.

Read my guide and this will get clearer for you.

38 minutes ago, srrndhound said:

I wrote step-by-step process for Sony players and Windows7, with links to all  necessary resources. Have a look. It's referenced on page 141. Post

Wow that is awesome thank you so much! That definitely looks easier for a person of my skill set. The step by step instructions make it much clearer for me. Hopefully I can get everything going smoothly. Thank you! I will keep you guys posted here on how it goes

I assume this has already been asked, but how do I rip both sections of a stereo and multi-channel SACD? Does the generated ISO already include both mixes and I have to use playback software that allows me to switch between the two options or do I have to rip the same disk twice. If so - how?

Just now, shicorp said:

I assume this has already been asked, but how do I rip both sections of a stereo and multi-channel SACD? Does the generated ISO already include both mixes and I have to use playback software that allows me to switch between the two options or do I have to rip the same disk twice. If so - how?

1.  Yes, the ISO includes both the stereo and the multichannel content.

2.  It can be played directly, allowing you to choose between stereo and multichannel content, by JRiver or foobar (and some other players).

3.  The stereo and/or multichannel tracks can be extracted as DSF (or DFF) files for playback on a wider range of softwares.

4.  The extraction can be done with the same ISO2DSD application used for the ripping.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

17 hours ago, srrndhound said:

I wrote step-by-step process for Sony players and Windows7, with links to all  necessary resources. Have a look. It's referenced on page 141. Post

Ok thank you again. I followed the steps on the other post. Iv got all the steps down...when click on execute it says

Failed to connect 

libsacdread: Cant open 10.0.0.10:2002 for reading

I am using wifi if that matters. I checked and that is the ip on the bluray player. Maybe my port is not 2002 on the bluray player? I am kind of stuck at this point

On 8/13/2018 at 12:11 AM, Triplefun said:

I came across this topic by chance and after trolling through the various replies have finally been able to rip a SACD on my Cambridge Audio 752bd. The breakthrough was the realisation the USB stick with the AutoScript directory needed to be formatted with an MBR record (see page 103). This can be achieved on Windows using Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/).  I assume the same applies to the Oppo and other devices. I suggest the initial instructions are updated accordingly.

Thank you... couldn't get this to work with Oppo 103 until I used Rufus to reformat. Windows administrative tools showed no problem with the USB drive, just a simple,

single FAT volume.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 minutes ago, Shaneacook1989 said:

I followed the steps on the other post. Iv got all the steps down...when click on execute it says

Failed to connect 

libsacdread: Cant open 10.0.0.10:2002 for reading

I am using wifi if that matters. I checked and that is the ip on the bluray player. Maybe my port is not 2002 on the bluray player? I am kind of stuck at this point

The IP sounds right. Did you check to see if there's a firmware update for the player? Mine would not connect until I updated. 

55 minutes ago, srrndhound said:

The IP sounds right. Did you check to see if there's a firmware update for the player? Mine would not connect until I updated. 

I did and it says it is the latest firmware version m12.r.0510

I went to this page of the thread and i feel like o am missing something. When i try to open the sacd_extract it opens and closes right away i cant even read what it says

18 minutes ago, Shaneacook1989 said:

I went to this page of the thread and i feel like o am missing something. When i try to open the sacd_extract it opens and closes right away i cant even read what it says

If you are referring to the sacd_extract_160 file, that is one of 3 files that should be inside a folder named AutoScript on the USB that ypu plug into the disc player. How are you attempting to open it? 

When you insert the USB, does the player awaken and open the drawer?

The only program to manually open is ISO2DSD. 

It should not matter, but FWIW I did this with ethernet connections to the router. I have not tried using wifi.

If you want to PM me an email or phone number , happy to take this offline and see if we  can work it out. 

--Roger

11 minutes ago, srrndhound said:

If you are referring to the sacd_extract_160 file, that is one of 3 files that should be inside a folder named AutoScript on the USB that ypu plug into the disc player. How are you attempting to open it? 

When you insert the USB, does the player awaken and open the drawer?

The only program to manually open is ISO2DSD. 

It should not matter, but FWIW I did this with ethernet connections to the router. I have not tried using wifi.

If you want to PM me an email or phone number , happy to take this offline and see if we  can work it out. 

--Roger

Thank you again i just sent you a pm roger

On 9/8/2018 at 2:44 AM, Shaneacook1989 said:

Thank you again i just sent you a pm roger

I managed to have the USB flash drive working perfectly, but trying the server methode with the ISO2DSD program I get the same error message as you do. 

Whenever you find a solution please let me know.