IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

5 hours ago, mindset said:

My apologies @mindset, I should have done that (I normally do for my other coding related problems, but didn't think to do so this time...)

I did some of those things & now seem to have managed to compile it!

I did another 

git clone https://github.com/setmind/sacd-ripper.git

before doing the 'cmake .', but when I check version using the GUI, I get

sacd_extract version 0.3.9@setmind-1-gf7419fdf1639cf6a88e95ca7ed45d00a99a78a2a

not the new version number you posted above. Was your code update put up on Github (this time I did try & look with SourceTree after re-cloning using that)?

But thanks anyway, I now have (a version) running !

13 minutes ago, servoyguru said:

My apologies @mindset, I should have done that (I normally do for my other coding related problems, but didn't think to do so this time...)

I did some of those things & now seem to have managed to compile it!

No worries.  Glad to hear that it's working now.

15 minutes ago, servoyguru said:

before doing the 'cmake .', but when I check version using the GUI, I get

sacd_extract version 0.3.9@setmind-1-gf7419fdf1639cf6a88e95ca7ed45d00a99a78a2a

The latest on github is:  sacd_extract version 0.3.9@setmind-8-gae5301f0419644a946479cb9b59bdd5c6cfcf71e

Try 

git pull

or remove the entire source tree and do git clone again.  You can also try removing CMakeCache.txt

It won't be any faster.  You are most likely limited by the player side's optical drive.  Plus, stereo and multi-channel cannot be read in parallel.  They are recorded at two separate locations and there is only one optical head in the drive.

Your earlier post advising me that a problem had recently been fixed by an update to sacd_extract.exe was attached to a quote from one of my posts. That quote referred to the stereo and multi-channel rips being read in sequence rather than in parallel, so I just assumed that was the problem in question.

Did you really mean to quote a different part of my post that referred to erratic starting of the ripping process? If not, then what issue was addressed by the update (I tried checking your Github link but couldn't find anything relevant)?

1 hour ago, mindset said:

No worries.  Glad to hear that it's working now.

The latest on github is:  sacd_extract version 0.3.9@setmind-8-gae5301f0419644a946479cb9b59bdd5c6cfcf71e

Try 

git pull

or remove the entire source tree and do git clone again.  You can also try removing CMakeCache.txt

Got that now, thanks!

6 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Interesting in that the S390 is an older unit from 2012, the BX510 is a 2013 model year machine if I'm not mistaken.

Possible the BX510 was at one time SACD-R playback compatible, but had that capability removed via a firmware update, as with the Oppo 10x series. 

Moral of that story is don't update the S390 firmware if it doing what you need it to already, as it could end in big disappointment.

yes, the 390 is quite old and the 510x came in a box advertising the 2014 world cup...the 390 was "brand new" (and it sure looked like it as it was factory packed...the 510x was a "refurb" but only $25 and came with a remote

and yes, the adage is..if it rips (and reads sacdr) don't upgrade!

the 510x will become the backup ripper if i ever need it

On 10/4/2018 at 11:08 PM, mindset said:

I am not sure about the signing part as I am not very familiar with the mac ecosystem. 

Checksum of a binary depends on many factors like the version of compiler, so it will not be useful for confirmation of proper compilation.  Since compilation of sacd_extract binary is not that difficult, those who care about the integrity of the binary should just get the source codes from github and compile them without any modification.  The source codes on github are rigidly version-controlled.

@ mindset:

I compiled the Mac version on a Macbook Pro w Yosemite. Installed prerequisites enumerated elsewhere; installation took a lot longer than I was expecting. During the compile I had quite a few errors (attached file is an rich text file in Mac TextEdit format). Despite the errors, the resulting Unix executable appears to be working, although I haven't done an extraction, just run the -v and -? options which resulted in no error messages. The executable was created in a deeply nested subdirectory, Drive Name => Users => UserName => sacd-ripper => tools => said_extract => sacd_ripper (the Unix Executable file); I will move it up higher in the directory tree for ease-of-use reasons, and because I might eventually remove the compilation tools (it's a laptop with limited HD space). The question of dependencies is still unknown- to bad there isn't a tool like dependency-walker (for Windows) for the Mac. Will find out when I uninstall the prerequisites.

Now, questions about the SACD EXTRACT GUI. My first question is about java- keep in mind that  my questions are regarding both Mac and Windows environment, and specifically Win 7 64bit, not Win 10. I am not a fan of java, it's always had security issues (at least under Windows) and I avoid installing it in most cases, with the exception of my jRiver Media Center server and clients which require java for disc menus, but the java that jRiver installs is only available to jRiver and never available to any other programs. Can you tell me if java is for the exclusive use of the SACD EXTRACT GUI only? (I don't know if java is automatically installed as part of the Mac OS, but I'm more concerned about Win 7 because OS X is more locked-down than Windows 7 (Win 10 may be more locked-down, but I'm not going to buy 6 new Win 10 licenses for my jRiver MC computers when Win 7 is working fine).

The other question I have is about the Github downloads for the GUI- the original release had 13 files and the second version only had 3 files- the license, a readme and SACDExtractGUI.jar... I'm guessing that the original 13 files are downloaded and then the 3 file overwrite the original files in the 13 file directory. I could use a little hand-holding with this, some further detailed instructions and how the java developmental tools are downloaded and installed.

Apologies for the long post.

jk

SACD_EXTRACT COMPILE LOG.rtf

20 hours ago, haggis999 said:

Your earlier post advising me that a problem had recently been fixed by an update to sacd_extract.exe was attached to a quote from one of my posts. That quote referred to the stereo and multi-channel rips being read in sequence rather than in parallel, so I just assumed that was the problem in question.

Did you really mean to quote a different part of my post that referred to erratic starting of the ripping process? If not, then what issue was addressed by the update (I tried checking your Github link but couldn't find anything relevant)?

Sorry, I quoted a wrong message for that.  I meant to say was that the bug that the program quits without doing anything when stereo and multi are both selected for extraction had been fixed.  What I implemented is sequential processing of stereo and multi in one command execution.

6 hours ago, BluRay444 said:

During the compile I had quite a few errors (attached file is an rich text file in Mac TextEdit format). Despite the errors, the resulting Unix executable appears to be working, although I haven't done an extraction, just run the -v and -? options which resulted in no error messages

I only see one error at the beginning of the log file, and that seems irrelevant.  If your executable was generated and it runs, I believe it was most likely successfully generated.

Can you tell me if java is for the exclusive use of the SACD EXTRACT GUI only? 

Yes.  Java is only for the GUI.  The sacd_extract program has absolutely nothing to do with Java.

The other question I have is about the Github downloads for the GUI- the original release had 13 files and the second version only had 3 files- the license, a readme and SACDExtractGUI.jar... I'

You probably downloaded a source package via "Source code
(zip)" instead of the binary package "SACDExtractGUI.zip".  SACDExtractGUI.zip has always had just 3 files and has never included those 13 files you are referring to.

8 hours ago, mindset said:

I only see one error at the beginning of the log file, and that seems irrelevant.  If your executable was generated and it runs, I believe it was most likely successfully generated.

Yes.  Java is only for the GUI.  The sacd_extract program has absolutely nothing to do with Java.

I should have said errors and warnings... there were 35 warnings (see attached file). Many are repeated several times.

With regard to Java, what I was referring to was not whether Java was also used by the sacd_extract program, but rather if it was globally available to all programs.

See my following post about the downloaded SACDExtractGUI.zip 

SACD_EXTRACT COMPILE WARNINGS.rtf

On 10/7/2018 at 3:45 AM, mindset said:

This was just released at https://github.com/setmind/SACDExtractGUI/releases

Please note that this doesn't come with a sacd_extract executable, and is meant for sacd_extract@setmind (https://github.com/setmind/sacd-ripper) NOT the original by mrwicked.

SACDExtractGUI.jar is the Java executable.  If it cannot be invoked from the OS GUI, try this in the terminal:

java -jar SACDExtractGUI.jar

At minimum, you need to specify path to the sacd_extract (sacd_extract.exe for Windows) program at the top of the GUI. I believe the rest is pretty much self-explainable.

Thank you for SACDExtractGUI, but (for me at least) it doesn't seem to remember the path for the 'sacd_extract' nor the IP address of Server (& even though it displays sacd_extract in 'Program', it doesn't seem to look in same folder for it (as the Sonore version does))

Can these be addressed/fixed please?

Thanks

On 10/10/2018 at 7:06 AM, BluRay444 said:

With regard to Java, what I was referring to was not whether Java was also used by the sacd_extract program, but rather if it was globally available to all programs.

I am puzzled by your question.  My best guess here is that you are referring to JRE (Java Runtime Engine)  which is commonly used to run Java-based programs like SACDExtractGUI.  JRE is not included in SACDExtractGUI. What's inside SACDExtractGUI package is just a compiled program in Java.  If you managed to run SACDExtractGUI, that means JRE had been installed by your choice or your operating system's choice . macOS installs JRE (which is widely available in the system once installed) with user's permission when the user tries to run a Java-based program like SACDExtractGUI.

On 10/10/2018 at 7:06 AM, BluRay444 said:

I should have said errors and warnings... there were 35 warnings (see attached file). Many are repeated several times.

What is your problem with those warnings?   There are many C programs with lots of compiler warnings in this world.

13 hours ago, servoyguru said:

Thank you for SACDExtractGUI, but (for me at least) it doesn't seem to remember the path for the 'sacd_extract' nor the IP address of Server (& even though it displays sacd_extract in 'Program', it doesn't seem to look in same folder for it (as the Sonore version does))

Can these be addressed/fixed please?

No, because that had been implemented from the very first release of the program :)  My guess is that SACDExtractGUI is running in a read-only directory or something like an antivirus program is preventing it from writing to the directory.  It writes its state to SACDExtractGUI.properties when it is closed, and reads it when it starts.  Please check if SACDExtractGUI.properties is generated after the program is properly closed (by clicking on the "X" button at the top of the window).

No, because that had been implemented from the very first release of the program :)  My guess is that SACDExtractGUI is running in a read-only directory or something like an antivirus program is preventing it from writing to the directory.  It writes its state to SACDExtractGUI.properties when it is closed, and reads it when it starts.  Please check if SACDExtractGUI.properties is generated after the program is properly closed (by clicking on the "X" button at the top of the window).

Hi

I am running it on a Mac. The directory is definitely read/write, as sacd_extract is outputting the the ISO/DSF files in the same directory when it runs.

No properties file is being generated (& I am quitting the app using the 'Quit' command)

Thanks

16 minutes ago, mindset said:

Great.  Just reproduced the problem with the quit command on my side and found a working fix (macOS needs some special treatment).  Will push that soon when I find time.  Thanks for reporting the problem.

Excellent! (& well done on finding problem)

Happy to have been of help ? 

I have a friend who is attempting to rip directly to .dsf using Windows, ISO2DSD, a Sony S5100, and the very same known working Sony firmware version found on my own (and various other's) S5100 machines.

Everything goes perfectly until the 1st track of the rip is displayed and the word Processing appears, at which point nothing further seems to occur. No album folder is ever generated in the ISO2DSD folder, and obviously then no tracks either. 

I am stumped as to what is happening because my own S5100 (and many other's too) have always been flawless with ISO2DSD, on either Mac or Windows.

Any ideas as to why his rips would actually start but not progress any further after the 1st track shows Processing? 

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

It would appear he has all of that set, if no Java the ISO2DSD program would just immediately quit or warn you to install Java.

I'm not sure what you mean by mindset's method, if you mean sacd_extract 3.9 and the new GUI the answer is no, not yet at least.

One of the problems is he is in Germany and I am in New York, so there is a time difference and we both have day jobs on weekdays. The weekend will be better suited to troubleshoot but I don't actually know where to begin given the symptoms I have described.

I've never seen that before or even remember others posting anything similar, it seems the rips start but then advance no further, and no album folder is even created. He's tried several different discs all with the same result.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

32 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

I've never seen that before or even remember others posting anything similar, it seems the rips start but then advance no further, and no album folder is even created. He's tried several different discs all with the same result.

sounds like a hang

can he quit out of it? (is the process stalled?)

does he have another box to try? usually people have more than 1 PC

He did think he was able to quit ISO2DSD, but this issue wasn't one isolated strange hang occurrence, it happens every time he starts a rip in the exact same manner.

It's too late at night in Germany so he had to go to bed, and be out the door at 7:30am tomorrow, so more troubleshooting can only occur sometime later tomorrow.

I personally have never seen this on either Windows or Mac. If anyone has experienced this same or similar behavior please let me know what steps you took to rectify, thanks!

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

6 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

He did think he was able to quit ISO2DSD, but this issue wasn't one isolated strange hang occurrence, it happens every time he starts a rip in the exact same manner.

It's too late at night in Germany so he had to go to bed, and be out the door at 7:30am tomorrow, so more troubleshooting can only occur sometime later tomorrow.

I personally have never seen this on either Windows or Mac. If anyone has experienced this same or similar behavior please let me know what steps you took to rectify, thanks!

Using the Sonore HI on a Windows system, I too have have found that the OPPO 105D will always hang when a "Quit" is initiated after an "Execute" command was executed.  I've found the only way to recover is to completely pull the power from the OPPO for a complete reboot. In addition, the directory created on the windows system is locked and cannot be deleted without rebooting the Windows system.