IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

6 minutes ago, mindset said:

I might incorporate this to my code.

That would be great ? - adding ARM & PPC support alone would justify jumping to v0.4.0 ?.

When I compiled sacd_extract for my Raspberry Pi couple of weeks ago, I was unaware of Azeria07's patch.

I simply "borrowed" a file called mm_malloc.h from some Android project and changed the references.

5 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Outstanding!

I compiled on a MacBook Air running Sierra this morning, no hitches other than a syntax error about spacing: syntax error, unexpected tIDENTIFIER, expecting end-of-input

In short I was unable to copy/paste the commands without getting that error, but typing them manually worked. Something to the effect of when a space is not a space on a Mac, no matter though, manual entry in Terminal worked fine.

I then ripped an SACD using the 0.3.9 in place of what originally came in the ISO2DSD OSX v6 package (3.7?), and it ran flawlessly.

In fact, I believe I saw a speed increase even though I rip directly to .dsf. Could that be a coincidence? I guess it could, I have no direct point of comparison in the form of speed data on a previous rip of that very same disc having been slower as it's the first time I've ever ripped this disc.

However, I experienced my fastest rip speed to date on any disc going straight to .dsf, I think my previous high water mark over Ethernet was 2.85MB/s, this one crossed the finish line a bit faster:

62730874_ScreenShot2018-09-23at12_22_59PM.thumb.jpg.a10251c0bbe08086a3361f52ef68ea63.jpg 

Thank you so much @mindset, I had been stuck in the mud previously when trying to figure out how to compile Mr Wicked's 0.3.8 (as I believe the ISO2DSD download includes 0.3.7) and while whatever version is in the ISO2DSD download package certainly worked well for me, this appears even better!

MikeyFresh, could you make this available for download?

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

No, you cannot.  All prepros/AVRs that support DSD, like the 8805, must convert them to PM in order to do room correction/EQ.  Many will convert the DSD to PCM even without DSP.

According to the manual of Marantz Av 8805 on page 113 and 115, you can listen to native audio DSD and apply Audyssey correction room. The AV 8805, gives the possibility to listen in: stereo PCM audio, native DSD stereo audio (both with Audyssey correction), in addition, to be able to listen to DSD Direct and DSD pure Direct (these two without possibility of Audyssey correction.

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I generally downsample DSD to 24/176.4PCM for output to the Marantz but , since I do DiracLive EQ in the server, the Marantz pushes it through as that.

According to the Marantz manual on page 303, if it is connected via HDMI you can listen to native audio DSD: 2-channel - 5.1 channel, 2.8 MHZ BUT if listening with a NAS 2 channel UP to 5.6 MHZ (page 308), everything wthout conversión 

21 minutes ago, emiliocb said:

According to the manual of Marantz Av 8805 on page 113 and 115, you can listen to native audio DSD and apply Audyssey correction room. The AV 8805, gives the possibility to listen in: stereo PCM audio, native DSD stereo audio (both with Audyssey correction), in addition, to be able to listen to DSD Direct and DSD pure Direct (these two without possibility of Audyssey correction.

The manual is correct. But that does not conflict with the fact that just because native DSD is coming in the front door it stays in that form as it enters the DSP processor. 

This maybe a really dumb question.  If sacd capable player has HDMI out put, could one not input the HDMI to a computer and extract the signal directly and record it?   The player has the software and hardware to play sacd disc's and transmit it over HDMI.   For example, the newer Sony BDP-s6100 only has HDMI out, no analog.  So to play an sacd disc, it would have to send the dsf signal over the HDMI (originally the idea wad to a dsf capable surround reciever).  So if the computer can recieve the dsf signal, why not record it?

38 minutes ago, Timb5881 said:

If sacd capable player has HDMI out put, could one not input the HDMI to a computer and extract the signal directly and record it?   

The same idea comes up with ripping the video signal from an HDMI out.

As I understand it, there is supposed to be an electronic hand-shake between the two certified HDMI devices before a signal will pass.

This is supposed to prevent capturing the signal.

1 hour ago, Timb5881 said:

This maybe a really dumb question.  If sacd capable player has HDMI out put, could one not input the HDMI to a computer and extract the signal directly and record it?   The player has the software and hardware to play sacd disc's and transmit it over HDMI.   For example, the newer Sony BDP-s6100 only has HDMI out, no analog.  So to play an sacd disc, it would have to send the dsf signal over the HDMI (originally the idea wad to a dsf capable surround reciever).  So if the computer can recieve the dsf signal, why not record it?

One would need a computer with an HDMI input and one that has the ability to handshake with the player in order for the SACD data to be transferred.  I do not know of any commonly available computer so configured but it might be possible.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

30 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

One would need a computer with an HDMI input

Or a device that has an HDMI input which can connect to a computer through USB.

Such devices exist, like the  Elgato Game Capture,.  They are designed to capture video games for posting as "play throughs" on YouTube.

But such devices typically re-encode the signal rather than capture it.

Some HDMI splitters have been discovered that defeat the handshake requirement and deliver a signal without any do not copy flags.

The short answer is that this route has somewhat been explored in the world of capturing video signals from HDMI but not really explored for capturing audio signals and certainly not SACD and DSD in particular.

And there is no reason when SACD ripping is so easily done with BD players as described in this thread.

Sorry if this is becoming Off Topic.

2 hours ago, Phthalocyanine said:

The short answer is that this route has somewhat been explored in the world of capturing video signals from HDMI but not really explored for capturing audio signals and certainly not SACD and DSD in particular.

And there is no reason when SACD ripping is so easily done with BD players as described in this thread.

Sorry if this is becoming Off Topic.

Amen.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

I deliberately chose two RCA Living Stereo titles for this test as I have noted over time for some reason the discs in that series tend to rip slower than most others, I don't know why that is but it's a trend for sure from my experience.

Great to hear that the program worked well for you.  The reason that particular disc rips slower than other discs is probably that it has a smaller total playing time than other discs. The optical drive on the player seems to read at a constant angular velocity (constant RPM in other words) so its output data rate increases as the optical head moves away from the center of the disc.  When the total playing time is small, most of the time is spent near the center of the disc so the data rate is slower than other discs that use more outer region of the disc.

You can try ripping the same disc in stereo and multi channel.  You will see that the multi channel section rips faster (in MB/s) because it uses the outer section of the disc.  The last track of the multi channel section rips fastest.  For example, the first track of stereo rips around 2.1 MB/s while the last track in multi channel rips at around 3.4 MB/s for the disc I tried.

37 minutes ago, mindset said:

The reason that particular disc rips slower than other discs is probably that it has a smaller total playing time than other discs.

I see, and that makes perfect sense about the majority of the RCA Living Stereo series reissues being slow to rip. Those were relatively short playing time album titles subject to the vinyl LP format's early-stereo limitations of that era. So they invariably play back more towards the center hub and less towards the outer edge, especially the stereo tracks that I rip, likely I never get close to the outer edge/fastest rip speed because I forgo those surround tracks.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

On 9/23/2018 at 4:05 PM, emiliocb said:

srrndhound could you tell me what version of the sacd-extract is this? I ask, because, now, the last one is V0.039

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gnpma48ceil80w5/AACzL4md_mFP7-gmbpsx1kFSa/AutoScript?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

Thanks in advance

you probably already have an answer to this...but just load the file into notepad and search for version....you'll see after 3 ..it's 0.3.7

Where can I download the AutoScriptSACD folder containing sacd_extract_160?

I already downloaded sacd_extract from the document written by Haggis999.

Im not sure if sacd_extract in this folder works or sacd_extract_160 is better?

I got Sony BDP-S490 and Telnet working.

In Telnet mode I got this error:

sony-player login: root

~ # cd /mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD/

/mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD # ./sacd_extract -I

./sacd_extract: error while loading shared libraries: libiconv.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Trying with -G &, same error:

/mnt/sda1/AutoScriptSACD # ./sacd_extract -G &

./sacd_extract: error while loading shared libraries: libiconv.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

?

10 hours ago, eBoy said:

Where can I download the AutoScriptSACD folder containing sacd_extract_160?

I already downloaded sacd_extract from the document written by Haggis999.

Im not sure if sacd_extract in this folder works or sacd_extract_160 is better?

I got Sony BDP-S490 and Telnet working.

In Telnet mode I got this error:

?

My document was specifically written for those using the Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105. The links are not relevant for use with Sony kit.

On 9/14/2018 at 1:34 AM, Phthalocyanine said:

Is there a compiled version of this for osmc on raspberry pi 3?

I'd love to try it out.

Hi,  I have managed to compile this SACD ISO Kodi addon:

kodi-sacd-addon-details.jpgkodi-sacd-tracklist.jpg

MD5:		6D8AD6826D4F75AB22F350BC63C9E033
SHA-1:		945C3E27FC4C5E7FB9DD7C6467247E70E84DAE82
SHA256:		B94680284C12C143DDFA18640A25D995CB7F554FB48881BDDAC25F7C1D81BF28
SHA512:		F42C275FA84D16A15B125207057169A34F2334ECA602BA29C05207C735FFB108A19FE7957CE24A8E8815D109F6DF88E8163B19F901638C07A3D98954B221C9A0
xxHash64:	9CCB784823B43648

If you aim to use it on Ubuntu get the latest Kodi v18.0 Beta 3 Leia from the unstable repository, for other distros you'd have to compile the sources manually.

• Windows addon will follow as soon as certain compilation issues have been addressed.
  • Raspberry Pi / LibreELEC addon might follow if popular demand is high and the technical hurdles low.

After installing the ZIP file via additional addons please restart Kodi, enter the music section and feed the location of your SACD ISO.

It DOES NOT support the playback of SACD-Rs directly as foobar2000 (via plugin) does.

Creating the ISO is fairly easy on Linux: 

sudo dd if=/dev/dvd of=~/sacd.iso

Last but not least: 

USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

@ mindset:

I get that the mac version of SACD_EXTRACT has to be compiled on the mac using it due to it not being developer-signed (at least that's my understanding, perhaps crudely explained), but what about providing a checksum to confirm that it had been properly compiled, would that be possible?

27 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

I get that the mac version of SACD_EXTRACT has to be compiled on the mac using it due to it not being developer-signed (at least that's my understanding, perhaps crudely explained), but what about providing a checksum to confirm that it had been properly compiled, would that be possible?

I am not sure about the signing part as I am not very familiar with the mac ecosystem. 

Checksum of a binary depends on many factors like the version of compiler, so it will not be useful for confirmation of proper compilation.  Since compilation of sacd_extract binary is not that difficult, those who care about the integrity of the binary should just get the source codes from github and compile them without any modification.  The source codes on github are rigidly version-controlled.