IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Help! My setup worked for a couple of years but now is broken!

I have BDP-80FD and MacBook Pro. I have the USB key set up and the drawer opens like it should. I can ping the player both on my network or direct Ethernet to the laptop so I know the IP address is correct.

MacBook-Pro-5:~ david$ ping 192.168.7.48

PING 192.168.7.48 (192.168.7.48): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.7.48: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=14.291 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.7.48: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=11.934 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.7.48: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=3.449 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.7.48: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=3.743 ms

However, when I run the 

./sacd_extract -i 192.168.7.48:2002 -m

command in terminal, it pauses for a bit and then I get the error

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.7.48:2002 for reading

The only thing that I know has changed is I moved from a 2012 15" rMBP to a 2018 13" MBP but I don't see how that would affect this. I even tried a different SACD that I had ripped before on the same player.

Any ideas?

16 hours ago, unfrostedpoptart said:

Help! My setup worked for a couple of years but now is broken!

I have BDP-80FD and MacBook Pro. I have the USB key set up and the drawer opens like it should. I can ping the player both on my network or direct Ethernet to the laptop so I know the IP address is correct.

MacBook-Pro-5:~ david$ ping 192.168.7.48

PING 192.168.7.48 (192.168.7.48): 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 192.168.7.48: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=14.291 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.7.48: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=11.934 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.7.48: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=3.449 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.7.48: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=3.743 ms

However, when I run the 

./sacd_extract -i 192.168.7.48:2002 -m

command in terminal, it pauses for a bit and then I get the error

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.7.48:2002 for reading

The only thing that I know has changed is I moved from a 2012 15" rMBP to a 2018 13" MBP but I don't see how that would affect this. I even tried a different SACD that I had ripped before on the same player.

Any ideas?

The drawer opening is proof that the AutoScript a) contains the optional line commanding the drawer open, and b) is launching and successfully executing at least that one line.

{ Captain Obvious bows.  The crowd goes wild! }

Even so, this offers no insight as to the outcome of the script line(s) that are presumably also present to launch the sacd_extract Linux binary.  However, the fact you do have network connectivity and the nature of the error message that comes back from the sacd_extract MacOS client strongly suggests (IMHO) that the player-side sacd_extract server is simply not running.  If that is true then it seems the problem is on the player/USB drive side and not your MBP.  Of course that would seem unlikely if nothing on the player side has changed.  Is there any chance there is a firewall running on your new MBP that wasn't present or configured the same way on your old computer?

At this point I think testing port 2002 on your player (once the AutoScript USB has been inserted of course) would provide a useful data point for troubleshooting.  It's very easy to do from a terminal window on your Mac.  Just enter the following command substituting in the current IP address of your player:

nc ip_address_of_player -vz 2002

You'll either see a "failed: Connection refused" error or something a bit more verbose indicating a response from port 2002.  If it fails when attempted from your new computer, then if you still have your old computer try it from there.  If it succeeds on the old and fails on the new then the problem must be a firewall or some such issue with your new computer.  If it fails on both then it strongly suggests that something has gone awry on the player/USB drive side.  My suggestion in that case would be to work toward establishing a telnet connection to the player and thereby greatly simplify the troubleshooting process going forward.

There is one other potential cause of your problem that comes to mind.  Have you ruled out that some other device on your network is now using the IP address that used to be assigned to your player?  I've been burned by that before.  If a new device ended up with your 7.48 address because your player was dormant for an extended period, then the player you thing you're pinging might not actually be your player.  Unlikely, but it's easy enough to check and rule out.

Help!

I'm ready to give up,

I have a SONY S590 running 510 software.

I have tried the step by step instructions and everything works fine up to the point where I try to telnet through putty or iso2dsd.  I can ping my sony from the dos command prompt and it returns 4 successful pings.

These are the responses:

20180911_114320.jpg

20180911_114411.jpg

26 minutes ago, MadDane said:

Help!

I'm ready to give up,

I have a SONY S590 running 510 software.

I have tried the step by step instructions and everything works fine up to the point where I try to telnet through putty or iso2dsd.  I can ping my sony from the dos command prompt and it returns 4 successful pings.

Does this post offer any useful insights?

1 hour ago, srrndhound said:

Does this post offer any useful insights?

The ability to ping the Sony S590 only means that it has successfully connected to you IP network.   The ability to run the iso2dsd or telnet to the Sony requires that the Sony operating system has support for Telnet or the command set used by the iso2dsd program.  It may not.

The failure of putty indicates that the Sony doesn't seem to support telnet.  This means you'd have to get the Sony to load the appropriate commands upon insertion of the memory stick.  In the case of the OPPO, this successful loading is indicated by the drawer opening itself after the software is read from the memory stick.

After that, you could try the Sonore application which will need to be set to use the Sony's IP address.

3 hours ago, sefischer1 said:

The ability to ping the Sony S590 only means that it has successfully connected to you IP network.   The ability to run the iso2dsd or telnet to the Sony requires that the Sony operating system has support for Telnet or the command set used by the iso2dsd program.  It may not.

The failure of putty indicates that the Sony doesn't seem to support telnet.  This means you'd have to get the Sony to load the appropriate commands upon insertion of the memory stick.  In the case of the OPPO, this successful loading is indicated by the drawer opening itself after the software is read from the memory stick.

After that, you could try the Sonore application which will need to be set to use the Sony's IP address.

I thought that MANY people here were able to telnet to the Sony S590, at least from the multiple posts I have read. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So going through the 2 weeks that I have tried everything! I went back and re-read multiple pages ( and yes, I have read the ENTIRE topic 145 pages).  I'm wondering... my laptop Win 8.1 is Wi-Fi due to location,  and my S590 is hard wired Ethernet.  Would that make any difference? 

Also my S590 shows up on the network and again is easily pingable.

Like I said,  I've gotten so far 0000 on display,  drawer opens,  just can't get the damn burn to start!

23 minutes ago, MadDane said:

my laptop Win 8.1 is Wi-Fi due to location,  and my S590 is hard wired Ethernet.  Would that make any difference? 

No. A network connection is a network connection, if they're on the same network.

Follow my guide and check the basics:  What is the IP address of the Sony as shown in its network settings page?  Make sure you're using that when trying to make a telnet connection. 

Check the content of the autoscript files against the appendix of the guide which lists the content.  There needs to the line - CLI(CLI_exec /usr/sbin/telnetd &) - to start the telnet demon on the Sony.  Some versions of the scripts don't have that.

2 hours ago, MadDane said:

So going through the 2 weeks that I have tried everything! I went back and re-read multiple pages ( and yes, I have read the ENTIRE topic 145 pages).  I'm wondering... my laptop Win 8.1 is Wi-Fi due to location,  and my S590 is hard wired Ethernet.  Would that make any difference? 

Like I said,  I've gotten so far 0000 on display,  drawer opens,  just can't get the damn burn to start!

Checked your firewall on the laptop? Quick way is to turn the firewall off and try again, if it works you'll need to add a rule for the incoming port you're using on the S590, and turn the firewall back on.

2 hours ago, MadDane said:

I think I had the same problem as you. I can now rip to a USB stick, not the server solution. I'll PM you.

FYI, I don't recall seeing this mentioned before, apologies if it's a duplicate...

I ran across a couple of DVD-Rs made from rips of SACDs on a PS3 that someone gave me a few of years ago, but I didn't have any way to play them, as my Oppo BDP-103, like a lot of other SACD-capable players, won't play DVD-R SACD rips- when you insert a DVD-R SACD in the Oppo it responds with a 'Unknown Disc' message. Today I decided to try to rip them on my Oppo, hoping that the disc-type detection circuitry was downstream of the SACD decoder circuitry. One disc ripped perfect dsf's and an ISO; the other had no errors when ripping, but about half the tracks played part way through and then went into an echo loop- one track had a noticeable 'pop' near the end, but was otherwise okay. My conclusion is that the second rip was a faulty reconstruction of the shorter file-system segments, the inevitable result of the PS3's operating system limitations, and not the fault of the Oppo. 

1 hour ago, BluRay444 said:

but about half the tracks played part way through and then went into an echo loop

What are you playing them back with?  You said your Oppo does not play SACD-R?  Playing them back on a computer?

You don't need to rip SACD-R with an Oppo or any of the other players described here.

SACD-Rs are unencrypted data.  Any good data ripping program, like isobuster, or any good disc burning program, like Imgburn, can copy the SACD-R disc to an iso, which you can then use in iso2dsd.

8 minutes ago, Phthalocyanine said:

What are you playing them back with?  You said your Oppo does not play SACD-R?  Playing them back on a computer?

You don't need to rip SACD-R with an Oppo or any of the other players described here.

SACD-Rs are unencrypted data.  Any good data ripping program, like isobuster, or any good disc burning program, like Imgburn, can copy the SACD-R disc to an iso, which you can then use in iso2dsd.

Playing back extracted files in JRiver... it also plays SACD ISOs... there are plenty of ways to do the extraction, Audirvana, VLC w plugin, Foobar... algorithms may vary, dedicated hardware is a known factor... and easier.. pop the disc in, click on the bat file... done. Don't have to download and install anything, don't have to run one program and then another, already have the hardware, why not use it?

19 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

Great that your perseverance has paid off. Congratulations and welcome to the club of The Initiated! 

For the the sake of pre-initiate hopefuls (aka newcomers to the Threadzilla) as well as those of us trying to help those that follow, could you please be more specific insofar as the problem and  solution are concerned? 

Was your objective to rip locally via Telnet or to use the server method? Whichever the case, what was the contents of the script that ended up *not* working for you? The script you posted above of course is specifically for the server method, however going from your earlier posts you must have tried the Telnet method at some point as well.  

What do you mean by “I had the script that kept using different telnet calls” in the context of what you found the problem and solution to be? Obviously the pure Telnet based scripts don’t work for the server method and vice versa. Furthermore the Telnet line that works for the Sony players is different than the command that works for the Oppo although it is possible to include both Telnet command line variants in the same script in order to make it agnostic to the player model insofar as launching the Telnet daemon is concerned. I have a single USB drive designed for server method + Telnet that works with both my Oppo and Sony players without modification by virtue of that fact. 

I could never get telnet to connect to my S590.  And so I tried the server method, but there were SO MANY AutoScript folders/files floating around that I got them confused and mixed up.   Not hard to do when you hear people throwing around server/telnet this Autoscript this autoscript that extraction file etc.,etc.