IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I am seeing a strange issue. I can rip any of my SACD discs (hybrid, stereo, multi-ch, ...). But handful of the ISO files will not extract using iso2dsd. The extraction will just stop/freeze. And always at the same point in the file (meaning: for ISO abc, the extraction failes on track x every time). Any ideas what might be going on? I will try to find a commonality between the ones which fail.

Thank you Ted, Grill and others for this thread.

Tried this out for the first time yesterday and it worked perfectly (apart from a bit of fiddling with USB stick partitions). Initial impression is that resulting playback of .dsf files via the DAC input of my Esoteric SACD Player, via HQP or JRMC 22, is preferable to the original SACDs on same machine.

Tried this out for the first time yesterday and it worked perfectly (apart from a bit of fiddling with USB stick partitions). Initial impression is that resulting playback of .dsf files via the DAC input of my Esoteric SACD Player, via HQP or JRMC 22, is preferable to the original SACDs on same machine.

Interesting. Makes some sense though good to have it confirmed.

I am seeing a strange issue. I can rip any of my SACD discs (hybrid, stereo, multi-ch, ...). But handful of the ISO files will not extract using iso2dsd. The extraction will just stop/freeze. And always at the same point in the file (meaning: for ISO abc, the extraction failes on track x every time). Any ideas what might be going on? I will try to find a commonality between the ones which fail.

Maybe you have a problem with too long filenames?

You can re-try putting your iso2dsd folder (or even only the files) on the root directory of your pc (something like C:/iso2dsd/)

Or you can try:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacd-extract-gui/

as alternative front-end / GUI for extraction purposes, as it allows for a different file-path for the output (extracted files).

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Ripping SHM-SACDs also works perfectly. I just copied The Velvet Underground & Nico to my NAS.

In the Cambridge Player (BD752) Setup, I had to disable "Auto Power Off" because the ripping process takes more than 20 min and the player does not seem to be aware of any actions while the SACD is read.

Ripping SHM-SACDs also works perfectly.

You know that SHM discs are data-identical to their standard counterparts, yes? The "magic" is all in the plastic and manufacturing processes used to press the disc. Supposedly, this results in a cleaner read and therefore less error correction/jitter.

- JediJoker

You know that SHM discs are data-identical to their standard counterparts, yes? The "magic" is all in the plastic and manufacturing processes used to press the disc. Supposedly, this results in a cleaner read and therefore less error correction/jitter.

Some of the newer releases example Tangerine Dream SACD are mastered in Japan from the original tapes. The plastic and process or whatever they do, certainly is very pristine.

For preference I would choose MFSL releases, then SHM-SACD, SHM-CD for popular music. Haven't been disappointed with either.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Just want to extend a big thank you to all the contributors on this thread.

I easily ripped 20+ of my 50 or so SACDs (using a MacBook Pro, Oppo 103 and an Ethernet cable). Painless process, relatively quick (I am getting about 2.5Mb/s average), and the resulting .DSF files sound fantastic thru my Exasound E12, via Roon and HQPlayer!

Metrum Onyx DAC, Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC, Snake River Boomslang Digital cable, Verastarr Nemesis USB cable;

Backert Rhumba 1.2 Preamp; Coincident M300B Frankenstein mkII SET monoblocks

Omega Super Alnico HO Monitors (Cherry finish) / Martin Logan Depth i Subwoofer

Macbook Pro (mid-2012, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD), HQPlayer, Tidal, Roon;

Cabling by Cerious Tech (Graphene SC, Blue PCs), Verastarr (IC and PC) and Teo Audio (GC IC)

Some of the newer releases example Tangerine Dream SACD are mastered in Japan from the original tapes.

Are these up-conversions from Master Tapes?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Uh... No? These would be old analog master tapes transferred to DSD. Just a simple analog-to-digital conversion.

Cool, that's what I meant.

Side question as the thread is about specific players: is it feasible to downgrade the firmware on a PS3?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Cool, that's what I meant.

Side question as the thread is about specific players: is it feasible to downgrade the firmware on a PS3?

I assume you mean downgrade from a stock FW > 3.55.

Th answer is yes, but you need to erase its internal NAND flash which means you need to perform a hardware hack. The tools are not expensive and the complexity is moderate. Some shops perform this for about 40€/50$.

There are folks that promise SW only downgrades, but they are scammers.

Roberto

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I still find the original SACD played as effortless, open and always likable, I prefer it over a file any day. The Mediatek allowable ripping process preserves the file in case the original disc is damaged/lost by way of burned DVD easily restored, and also no conversion hurdles for DAPs, just copy and paste.

I got a Pioneer BDP-170 today, an Amazon Warehouse Deal (customer return), supposed to only have minor optical flaws.

I would have preferred a new one, but it was the only such player available at a reasonable price (below list price). I meant to buy this one first, then maybe - after my first ripping experience - an Oppo later, so that I have two payers capable of SACD ripping (because we don't know if this possibility will ever come back with future players)

I actually didn't notice any optical flaws, but the player was dead on arrival. It won't turn on.

Great quality control by Amazon ...

Claude

They are remastered from the original tapes to the Scarlett Book format, reading from the liner notes.

Nice. There are some TD albums I really like, like Exit and Logos Live, and Electronic Music or Electro-Pop/SynthPop is so under-represented in DSD downloads (and even SACD I believe).

I assume you mean downgrade from a stock FW > 3.55.

Th answer is yes, but you need to erase its internal NAND flash which means you need to perform a hardware hack. The tools are not expensive and the complexity is moderate. Some shops perform this for about 40€/50$.

There are folks that promise SW only downgrades, but they are scammers.

Thanks Roberto. Actually, we scored a very affordable PS3 (fat, 2nd gen - 2 USB ports only) but I believe the firmware is already at 4.xx, so I was considering downgrading the firmware if at all possible.

Thanks Roberto. Actually, we scored a very affordable PS3 (fat, 2nd gen - 2 USB ports only) but I believe the firmware is already at 4.xx, so I was considering downgrading the firmware if at all possible.

If it only has 2 USB ports I fear it is one of the models that CANNOT be used to rip SACDs, as per http://ps3sacd.com/faq.html

Roberto

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I was thrilled to discover this thread as I have around 150 SACD's that I would like to preserve and also use for streaming from JRiver. Thanks to the people behind this process and those who have posted in this thread.

The only question I have at this time relates to the "Firmware Notification" setting on the Oppo BDP-103. I want to keep any new firmware from applying as a precautionary measure until I burn my existing SACD collection. The descriptions in the user manual are a little confusing to me. It seems like I should choose "Off" so it never checks for firmware upgrades but I thought I read in this thread you wanted it to notify you of updates so you could ignore them which implies I should choose "On". Can someone straighten me out on this (tell me whether I should use "On" or "Off")? My apologies because I'm sure that it is explained in one of the zillion posts in this thread.

Why not just use the mobile app to make the changes? A monitor is not necessary.

This thread concerns itself with three companies that produce blu-ray players of the "right stuff" to rip SACD.

The Cambridge Audio CXU does not have a remote app to configure the player, only on screen, have not checked the 725 Azure model, presume it's the same.

The Pioneer remote app might have deeper menus, but the website is short on some detail as to switch off autoplay, prefer SACD and so on.

The Oppo DB 10x does have a remote control app, that looks like a screen/TV is not required to setup the player. It looks as though the app is unfinished as the three posters reported problems with the app.

So is this what you mean by a mobile app, the one for the OPPO? When putting forward an idea, it's worth it not to be too general and vague people get the wrong idea. Do you work in IT?

The only question I have at this time relates to the "Firmware Notification" setting on the Oppo BDP-103. I want to keep any new firmware from applying as a precautionary measure until I burn my existing SACD collection. The descriptions in the user manual are a little confusing to me. It seems like I should choose "Off" so it never checks for firmware upgrades but I thought I read in this thread you wanted it to notify you of updates so you could ignore them which implies I should choose "On". Can someone straighten me out on this (tell me whether I should use "On" or "Off")? My apologies because I'm sure that it is explained in one of the zillion posts in this thread.

If you leave the setting on, the Oppo will pop up a message when a firmware upgrade is available and give you the option of taking it or skipping it. I don't recall what the default option is in the popup, but it will not automatically install any update - you have to tell it that it's ok to install. If you leave the setting off, it won't alert you of updates nor will it automatically install them. If you really don't want the player to ever update, turn the alert off so you can't accept the update by mistake.

This thread concerns itself with three companies that produce blu-ray players of the "right stuff" to rip SACD.

The Oppo DB 10x does have a remote control app, that looks like a screen/TV is not required to setup the player. It looks as though the app is unfinished as the three posters reported problems with the app.

So is this what you mean by a mobile app, the one for the OPPO? When putting forward an idea, it's worth it not to be too general and vague people get the wrong idea. Do you work in IT?

I'm sure the other poster meant the Oppo app, which works fine for most people. The setup portion of the app doesn't have any issues that I'm aware of. The catch is that the player has to be on the LAN in order for the app to connect to it, so unless you're using a wired connection with the default settings, a display will be needed to get the player onto the network (ie: if using wireless).

I still find the original SACD played as effortless, open and always likable, I prefer it over a file any day. The Mediatek allowable ripping process preserves the file in case the original disc is damaged/lost by way of burned DVD easily restored, and also no conversion hurdles for DAPs, just copy and paste.

That may be Dac/SACD player dépendent.

First of all, a big thanks to Ted for making us aware of this new technique! (I had bought a PS3 but it was DOA and couldn't be fixed. I threw a lot of money away on nothing, and didn't have the courage to take further risks with that route.)

I just took delivery of a Pioneer BDP-170 (European model). Does anyone have any tips or warnings regarding this particular model?

I'm currently hunting for the right script in the thread, but if someone wants to shoot me a post number that would be simply wonderful.