IGNORED

Any takes of bookshelf speakers?

So im looking to buy some NEW bookshelf speakers for my audio dedicated room... Its a small room of about 8'x8'... Or a tad bigger... But overall small. Im looking for some recommendations on some speakers... I already did some extensive research and came down to some choices but would like some ideas or alternatives to speakers im not aware about. I mostly listen to rock music. Mostly classic rock and some new alternative, hard rock, rock blues, etc. But overall classic rock. Im not looking to shake the windows or the whole house, i want something with very good soundstage, mid range and a good amount of bass. So far what i have in mind are the ascend acoustics sierra-2 or harbeths P3ESR, i was also contemplating the KEF LS50. I know the P3ESR are amazing at soundstage but im afraid they may be lacking bass for the music i listen to... Any takes on what speakers are a good choice? My maximum budget to spend would be no more than $2,300... Thanks in advance!

The LS3/5as are lacking in bass for any kind of music; they were designed for monitoring broadcast vocals in small rooms and vans.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Try the little PMCs (DB1 and TB1).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

8X8 is really small, so you might consider some little rockers like the PSB Synchrony's - enough bass to knock down a wall, super clear treble. Also beautiful enclosure.

Of course, you can use something like Genelecs, with a sub. I would prefer a wireless unit and probably try placing it behind my chair or couch.

I envy you a little bit, this would be a fun project! :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

what's your source and amplification?

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

I would highly recommend Sonus Faber Venere 2.0's. They are very good speaker at a great price. Here's a link to look at them.

I have the 2.5's in a 10X13 room and they are perfect. • Luxury home theater Venere 2.0 - High quality standmount bookshelf speaker

They are beautiful to look at also. I have the Walnut finish.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

8X8 is really small, so you might consider some little rockers like the PSB Synchrony's - enough bass to knock down a wall, super clear treble. Also beautiful enclosure.

Of course, you can use something like Genelecs, with a sub. I would prefer a wireless unit and probably try placing it behind my chair or couch.

I envy you a little bit, this would be a fun project! :)

-Paul

Great idea! I remember looking at the PSBs long time ago... Might give them another look. I was considering the Audioengine HD6s but id rather use my amp I already have.

what's your source and amplification?

Since its a work in progress, my source is going to be a Auralic aries mini with SSD into a Yggy into a yamaha AS-500

I am a classic rock listener all the way. I have the Audioengine A5+ (with Audioengine subwoofer) in a 12x13 office, and I really like them.

My opinion is that "audiophile"-approved speakers are often tuned to optimize for soundstage and imaging, qualities that aren't as relevant for 40 year old recordings of amplified rock and roll. The piercing tweeters that give you the imaging can just pull apart a Stones recording, say, robbing it of its punch. I have not heard KEF LS50, but I would be suspicious of it in this regard.

The more important advice I have for you is to audition the speakers you choose in your space before buying them, even if this is inconvenient. You have particular tastes and an unusual space. If you don't audition, you are risking disappointment.

I love my Totem Mites, very musical, and I also loved my Fostex PM0.4 bi-amped monitors - excellent soundstage.

Now, there are many great and better bookshelf speakers out there.

Remember not to stick them in bookshelves, but instead build or buy proper stands for them, couple that with vibration isolation and you will hear magnificent music.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

So im looking to buy some NEW bookshelf speakers for my audio dedicated room... Its a small room of about 8'x8'... Or a tad bigger... But overall small. Im looking for some recommendations on some speakers... I already did some extensive research and came down to some choices but would like some ideas or alternatives to speakers im not aware about. I mostly listen to rock music. Mostly classic rock and some new alternative, hard rock, rock blues, etc. But overall classic rock. Im not looking to shake the windows or the whole house, i want something with very good soundstage, mid range and a good amount of bass. So far what i have in mind are the ascend acoustics sierra-2 or harbeths P3ESR, i was also contemplating the KEF LS50. I know the P3ESR are amazing at soundstage but im afraid they may be lacking bass for the music i listen to... Any takes on what speakers are a good choice? My maximum budget to spend would be no more than $2,300... Thanks in advance!

I can't think of a better speaker for your situation than a pair of ProAc Response 1sc. I don't think bass will be an issue in an 8x8 room with a decent amp and good placement. I live in NYC and its one of the most popular small speakers you see in peoples systems here. Prewar buildings, masonary, hard wood floors, plaster, drywal, .... every type of construction and you can make them sound great.

In a room that size, the KEF LS50's will shine given the right amplification. Another, even more impressive option, would be the Silverline SR17 Supreme's. While they are capable of sounding superb in a much larger room, their designer, Alan Yun once told me that he considers them amongst the best nearfield speakers money can buy. I can tell you they are outstanding in a very small space, as I have significant experience using them in that way.

JC

Maybe OTT for your room size and certainly not bookshelf speakers, but if you are looking for an "alternative" suggestion then how about Klipsch Heresy IIIs?

I have the larger Cornwalls and they sound fantastic on classic rock, like having the band in the room with you (which admittedly might be a tight fit on 8x8). You won't be needing a subwoofer though...

Your room is very small so you won't need much to generate bass in there. I think you are on the right track with the Harbeths and Kefs you are looking into. Hopefully you can get an opportunity to give them both a listen in a near field environment to see which would suit you. In the Kef line there is also the little R100's which are beautiful little speakers that sound bigger than they are. They are also available in wood finishes and have magnetic grills if that is important. Really a fantastic little speaker and well below your budget. If you need more bass just move up to their larger bookshelf model the R300's which is still only 15" tall but is really a bit deep girl an actual bookshelf. Both of those will give you more bass than the Harbeths but are different enough to warrant a listen.

David

My room is 12x12 and I'm using Dynaudio DM 2/6. They are great all-rounder, with a lot more bass than they should have; drums particularly have pretty good slam. You do need to give them about 18" behind them, but are otherwise fairly unfussy. They do need more controlled power than you might think given their diminutive status. They're also pretty cheap; I've seen used pairs going for ca. $400. I think your other equipment will match very well, too.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

I can't think of a better speaker for your situation than a pair of ProAc Response 1sc. I don't think bass will be an issue in an 8x8 room with a decent amp and good placement. I live in NYC and its one of the most popular small speakers you see in peoples systems here. Prewar buildings, masonary, hard wood floors, plaster, drywal, .... every type of construction and you can make them sound great.

I have the proac tablette reference signature fed by a Naim DAC > Naim XS and I think they are superb and beautifully made. The only one note of caution though is that speakers with rear ports do tend to need a bit of space behind them and it's not clear how far into the room the OP might be willing to being his speakers. I'm also not sure I would classify speakers of this size as bookshelf myself but maybe that's just me..

Yeah, if rear space is a problem, maybe try Triangle Titus; they're front ported. A friend of mine has them on a bookshelf and they sound terrific. Also can be found in the $400 range.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

I've been very happy having my Gallo Stradas mounted on the wall. The newer version are 89dB efficient, but may be fussier than other speakers amp wise. On the wall, they go down lower, but still don't do much of anything below 50hZ. But at $2k, there may well be better bang for your buck out there.

I wish you well in your search [emoji846]

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

I have the proac tablette reference signature fed by a Naim DAC > Naim XS and I think they are superb and beautifully made. The only one note of caution though is that speakers with rear ports do tend to need a bit of space behind them and it's not clear how far into the room the OP might be willing to being his speakers. I'm also not sure I would classify speakers of this size as bookshelf myself but maybe that's just me..

The Tablette is quite a bit different than the Response. I don't think its a fair comparison. If I remember the Tablette has 2 ports on the rear of each speaker, where the Response has only 1.

Im going today to hear the Sonus Faber veener 2.0 at my local best buy. I like that they are front ported and i can save a tad of spacr by placing them a little closer to the wall. Thanks for the great ideas everyone!

I'm sure you are going to enjoy the Venenre 2.0's. Lively, dynamic and never harsh. They're going to image like crazy also.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html