IGNORED

Any takes of bookshelf speakers?

The Tablette is quite a bit different than the Response. I don't think its a fair comparison. If I remember the Tablette has 2 ports on the rear of each speaker, where the Response has only 1.

Actually the rear port on the 1SC has a larger diameter than those on my Tablettes. Irrespective, everything I have read, says both of these speakers should be between 1 and 3 feet from the rear wall. That's quite a lot when you only have an 8' room.

I suppose you are hoping to aim somewhere in between boomey and anemic sound.

Why not get tight boom free bass and the glory of linear freq. reply from say 40Hz and up?

Get a pair of active pro monitors with DSP to tame that small room of yours.

Genelec 8330 would fit and at only USD 2150 you even save the extra amp and DAC. #

If you want great sound rather than just piles of equipment to play with ;-)

# Ideally, you should get an AES3 / S/PDIF source.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

A pair of active Focal Solo6 Be monitors. Run you $2700 or so per pair. But being active you need no power amp. Switching amp for the woof and an analog Class AB amp for the tweets.

I might go with the Genelecs suggested above too.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Dynaudio Air series could have offered an alternative in active digital input monitors with DSP room compensation.

They have however discontinued the Air line :-(

The Air series got phased out as Music Group acquired TC Electronics (supplier of the electronics for Air series) according to my unofficial deep source at Dynaudio.

He claims that Dynaudio currently are developing new digital pro and consumer monitor series with DSP room compensation, but deadline is not known at this time.

IFAIK Dynaudio hired quite some people to work on the new digital lines.

You may still find the old Air series at a phase out discount or second hand.

Actually the rear port on the 1SC has a larger diameter than those on my Tablettes. Irrespective, everything I have read, says both of these speakers should be between 1 and 3 feet from the rear wall. That's quite a lot when you only have an 8' room.

I haven't read much about them, but I have used in them directly in one of my systems, and listened to them in many others. In most cases, the room was very small. So, going by that, I still recommend them. Also, assuming the 1-3 ft distance from the rear wall is good setup advice, I don't see the problem. Anything less than 1 foot and you might as well just wall mount them.

If interested in the science of better monitors, check my blog: Genelec - What is the rave about?

For those who prefer an acoustically invisible rig.

Maybe OTT for your room size and certainly not bookshelf speakers, but if you are looking for an "alternative" suggestion then how about Klipsch Heresy IIIs?

I have the larger Cornwalls and they sound fantastic on classic rock, like having the band in the room with you (which admittedly might be a tight fit on 8x8). You won't be needing a subwoofer though...

^ This.

You can find Heresy’s on Craigslist anywhere and if no likey, back on Craigslist they go. High efficiency design will help when you need to play at low volume levels, especially if you engage loudness feature of your AS500. As far as recommendations of active monitors, if you listen mostly to rock, you will need AS500‘s tone controls for all the crappy dynamically compressed remasters that music industry has been spewing for the past 15-20 years. Whatever you decide, don’t buy unheard (that goes for Heresy’s too).

For those who prefer an acoustically invisible rig.

There is no such thing. I've heard Genelecs and they have a sound just like any other speaker. And its the kind of sound that you want to listen to first, before you buy them.

I went to best buy and heard the Sonus faber 2.0 along with some bower & wilkins, definitive technology and martin Logans. All bookshelf speakers. The SF Veener blew them all out of the water, they all ranged from $999 to $1800, the SF Venner 2.0 being the most expensive. The SF 2.0 had the best soundstage and detail and just sounded balanced overall. As much as i loved them, unfortunately im not getting those. I find them a bit too "big" for my small room and they would take up space for other things im having in my room. To my luck, best buy also carries the Sonus Faber veener 1.5 for $1,199 witch have great reviews. So the 1.5s along with the dedicated sonus faber stands im looking at around $1,600. Im just going to take the plunge on those. Im fairly new to this hobby and im just wishing to enjoy some great music. I'll look for alternatives, auditions more speakers down the road, get a better understanding of this hobby as i go along. For now and an introduction to this hobby, this veener 1.5s will do the trick! Thanks everyone for the great ideas of speakers i hope to hear one of these days!

I went to best buy and heard the Sonus faber 2.0 along with some bower & wilkins, definitive technology and martin Logans. All bookshelf speakers. The SF Veener blew them all out of the water, they all ranged from $999 to $1800, the SF Venner 2.0 being the most expensive. The SF 2.0 had the best soundstage and detail and just sounded balanced overall. As much as i loved them, unfortunately im not getting those. I find them a bit too "big" for my small room and they would take up space for other things im having in my room. To my luck, best buy also carries the Sonus Faber veener 1.5 for $1,199 witch have great reviews. So the 1.5s along with the dedicated sonus faber stands im looking at around $1,600. Im just going to take the plunge on those. Im fairly new to this hobby and im just wishing to enjoy some great music. I'll look for alternatives, auditions more speakers down the road, get a better understanding of this hobby as i go along. For now and an introduction to this hobby, this veener 1.5s will do the trick! Thanks everyone for the great ideas of speakers i hope to hear one of these days!

Before you do that, where do you live? I may be able to you some more options.

You've discovered a wonderful company in Sonus faber. That particular line of theirs consists of great sounding speakers from top to bottom.

Pretty amazing that you can audition that selection of fine speakers from those four manufacturers at your local Best Buy. Let's hope that Best Buy can keep those Magnolia stores going as they are a great way to expose a wide population to great sound.

Happy listening!

David

I've heard and had many speakers. The Venere's outperformed everything I've heard up to $6000. I'm glad you took my advice. The 1.5's are great speakers. Now... Hook those babies up and enjoy.

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

The stars are big and bright! *clap clap clap* deep in the heart of Texas!!!

Sorry... Couldn't help it! Houston Texas sir!

You probably have dealers for most of the popular brands. I forget exactly where he is but Galen Carol Audio has a very good reputation, and quite a few good brands. I was going to recommend a dealer that I know well. Audio Connection in NJ. If you don't have a local dealer, most companies will give you permission to buy out of territory. What I like about AC in particular, is his system building knowledge. John can get you the best sound for whatever your budget is. Also, he has a fairly unique program in that if you buy a component from him, you can trade it in and receive the full purchase price towards whatever you want to upgrade to, as long as its within the first year. The Cable Company/Ultra Systems is another good resource. They specialize in lending out demo components and accessories for you to try before you make a commitment. Also a very reputable company. So, if you don't have a local dealer for a brand you're interested in, these 2 stores can be valuable resources.

Proac Tablette, KEF LS50 (might want a little REL sub, but test without first).

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Congratulations and enjoy them!

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

So im looking to buy some NEW bookshelf speakers for my audio dedicated room... Its a small room of about 8'x8'... Or a tad bigger... But overall small. Im looking for some recommendations on some speakers... I already did some extensive research and came down to some choices but would like some ideas or alternatives to speakers im not aware about. I mostly listen to rock music. Mostly classic rock and some new alternative, hard rock, rock blues, etc. But overall classic rock. Im not looking to shake the windows or the whole house, i want something with very good soundstage, mid range and a good amount of bass. So far what i have in mind are the ascend acoustics sierra-2 or harbeths P3ESR, i was also contemplating the KEF LS50. I know the P3ESR are amazing at soundstage but im afraid they may be lacking bass for the music i listen to... Any takes on what speakers are a good choice? My maximum budget to spend would be no more than $2,300... Thanks in advance!

Highly recommend KEF Q or R series bookshelf speakers with subwoofer.

I've had KEF iQ30 and iQ10 (rear) speakers with properly configured Rythmik F12SE subwoofer for the past few years. They never cease to amaze me, just when I least expect it. Current model configuration numbers are Q100 and Q300, IIRC.