IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Having spent 14 days with the new update, in my system, the cpu latency tuning is not all good 🤕 I hear better sense of room and micro details on instuments, especially acoustic guitar or classic music but bas looses at bit of impact and music has less drive.. most noticible with rock musik with the black keys or the raconteurs as examples. Tried several times back and forth..

Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Oepsie said:

Having spent 14 days with the new update, in my system, the cpu latency tuning is not all good 🤕 I hear better sense of room and micro details on instuments, especially acoustic guitar or classic music but bas looses at bit of impact and music has less drive.. most noticible with rock musik with the black keys or the raconteurs as examples. Tried several times back and forth..

Any thoughts?

One hundred percent re. your positive comments, especially the vastly improved decay and sense of space. I noticed the improvement immediately but as regards losing drive & impact, I just don't hear it. I suppose SOtM regard it as a major iteration hence the defeat option. Prior to LT, I was forever tweaking DSP on Roon but have had that disabled since it dropped. I suppose I should get someone to test me blind with it on & off, as I am not placebo immune🤔

2 hours ago, MGX-UK said:

It does sound a little dry, but very clear.... Is this the correct settings for on? 

Capture+_2023-01-16-22-58-24.png

Do you have an IPv6 router? If so, that setting is ok.

Auto Negotiation should be on according to what I have heard.

"Autonegotiation is a signaling mechanism and procedure used by Ethernet over twisted pair by which two connected devices choose common transmission parameters, such as speed, duplex mode, and flow control"

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

5 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Do those settings affect QS someway?

Yes, Auto Negotiation matters, because it allows Eunhasu and your DAC to talk to each other, so that the sMS sends data in the right format at the right time.

I don't know whether IPv6 affects operation, because I've never tried it, but it seems unwise to tell Eunhasu that you have an IPv6 router if you have IPv4. What good would that do, and it could be harmful.

No. of bits on IP Address 32 128
Format decimal hexadecimal
Capable of Addresses 4.3 billion infinite number
How to ping  ping XXX.XXX.XXX ping6

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

31 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

… sms200 connects to the dac with usb, auto negotiation is for Ethernet …

Oops, of course you're right. It is for communication between server and sMS, but the DAC also defines what formats the system can manage (DSD, sample rates).

Hi @MayfromSOtM, I've just acquired an sMS-200 Ultra SE with a 10MHz clock input. I can't see anywhere in the Eunhasu app, but is there a way of verifying that the sMS-200 is accepting the external 10MHz clock input correctly?

Thank you.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

On 1/24/2023 at 12:33 AM, manisandher said:

Hi @MayfromSOtM, I've just acquired an sMS-200 Ultra SE with a 10MHz clock input. I can't see anywhere in the Eunhasu app, but is there a way of verifying that the sMS-200 is accepting the external 10MHz clock input correctly?

Thank you.

Mani.

Hi Mani, sorry, there is no indicator when synced external 10MHz clock input to the device, but you may try to check it through the vent holes. You can check there is sCLK-EX module inside, and one green lamp is blinking on the sCLK-EX module, when you connect the master clock signal, there is another lamp on, and it is the steady one(not blinking), it means the master clock input is synced well.

Thank you.

Best regards, May

Hello May,

I have a question regarding the eunhasu user interface. The buttons on the System Config page are coloured green on blue (see attachment). The confusing thing to me is in the both the CPU Latency Time and the Auto Negotiation buttons the label read "On" but one is green while the other is blue. Which is "on" and which is "Off"?

Thanks.  

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 3.34.33 pm.png

2 hours ago, swcng2001 said:

Hello May,

I have a question regarding the eunhasu user interface. The buttons on the System Config page are coloured green on blue (see attachment). The confusing thing to me is in the both the CPU Latency Time and the Auto Negotiation buttons the label read "On" but one is green while the other is blue. Which is "on" and which is "Off"?

Thanks.  

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 3.34.33 pm.png

It is written inside the button, this is how my system config appears

50E61832-0134-4E6D-AAE1-C9EAE3380EC1.png

Stefano

My audio system

30 minutes ago, MayfromSOtM said:

ETHERNET 0 : Green is STATIC, IPv6 protocol: Green is Enabled, Link speed: Blue is 1000BASE-T set, Auto negotiation : Green is OFF, CPI Latency tune: Green is On, Logging: Green is On. 

Almost everything is wrong. No need for IP6 so put it out. Linkspeed 100Base is slightly better, Auto Negotion had to be on; just like Latency.

Everyone, thanks for your comments.

I agree. There are no hard and fast rules to this. I have not found leaving IPv6 enabled to cause any problems. I used the 100BASE-T settings until a few days ago, then decided to switch it to 1000BASE-T (my network can handle gigabit transmissions) and found no difference at all in the sound. I am still trying to decide if CPU latency is a good thing or not.

By the way, May don't you think being consistent with the colours of the buttons may be a good thing and less confusing. Perhaps Auto negotiation "On" should have a green background to match the CPU latency button background.

7 hours ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi Mani, sorry, there is no indicator when synced external 10MHz clock input to the device, but you may try to check it through the vent holes. You can check there is sCLK-EX module inside, and one green lamp is blinking on the sCLK-EX module, when you connect the master clock signal, there is another lamp on, and it is the steady one(not blinking), it means the master clock input is synced well.

Thank you.

Best regards, May

Hi May, thank you - I will try this.

Just another quick question:

I now have a total of three sMS-200 units! (I'm a big fan of the new CPU latency tuning feature 🙂). My new Ultra SE unit stands alone in my office system in town. However, my two 'regular' units are connected to two different systems in my house. I have given them different names in Roon to distinguish between them, and this works perfectly. However, Eunhasu only recognises one sMS-200 at a time (even though both are connected to the network). If I want to access the second unit, I have to shut the first down. Not a big deal, but not the most convenient either.

I suspect this will require an update to the Eunhasu app, but it would be great to be able to select different sMS-200 units on the same network (by selecting its IP address in Eunhasu?).

Just a thought for a future update...

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

14 hours ago, manisandher said:

Hi May, thank you - I will try this.

Just another quick question:

I now have a total of three sMS-200 units! (I'm a big fan of the new CPU latency tuning feature 🙂). My new Ultra SE unit stands alone in my office system in town. However, my two 'regular' units are connected to two different systems in my house. I have given them different names in Roon to distinguish between them, and this works perfectly. However, Eunhasu only recognises one sMS-200 at a time (even though both are connected to the network). If I want to access the second unit, I have to shut the first down. Not a big deal, but not the most convenient either.

I suspect this will require an update to the Eunhasu app, but it would be great to be able to select different sMS-200 units on the same network (by selecting its IP address in Eunhasu?).

Just a thought for a future update...

Mani.

Hi Mani, 

Many thanks for your advise, but it should be shown as it should be. Please check the attached image that I just took after testing at my end. I've named two devices differently and it is shown well. Can you email me([email protected]) the details when you experienced such symptom? and can you try to turn off and on the network devices completely ?

Thank you.

Best regards, May

test for Mani.jpeg