IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

I confirm : the updated version is 23.13

You need to uninstall MPD first, and install it again and it updates to the newest available on the SOtM OS

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

I think (this is very personnal) that the sound quality is better : more natural, better definition, but this is more subjective and personnal.

I did 3 updates in the process : eunhasu OS, kernel, and MPD so analysing any improvement is a bit random, although I "think" I like it better now 😁

My 2 cents of advice : just try it, it doesn't cost much and you probably won't have any regrets.

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 1 month later...

After 6 years of reliable service, my sMS-200 has stopped working. Everything looks absolutely normal, save for one thing; it shows the music is paused, and nothing will play.

Firmware is V0.5.41, MPD version : 0.23.13, UPMPDCLI version : 1.7.9. 

I use MinimServer with BubbleUPnP. 

I've tried the sMS in two different systems, no change. Any idea what's wrong?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

20 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

After 6 years of reliable service, my sMS-200 has stopped working. Everything looks absolutely normal, save for one thing; it shows the music is paused, and nothing will play.

21 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Wonder if using a new memory card will help?

48 minutes ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Wonder if using a new memory card will help?

Good point. I should have mentioned, I tried two Sandisk 16GB cards, same result. I will try downgrading the firmware, although I was using 5.41 successfully before the trouble started.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

47 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

They are both up to date but you could try to uninstall MPD, reboot the sMS200 and install again MPD

Thanks but I've tried installing the latest MPD twice too. 

I went all the way back to V4.71, just because it was in my hard drive. It worked, everything back to normal now. I'll have to try updating now, see how far I can get. I intend to skip the final MPD version.

All earlier firmware versions work for me, but not V05.41. MPD/UPnP are the latest iteration.

Eunhasu Web interface version : V0.5.31

MPD version : 0.23.13
UPMPDCLI version : 1.7.9

Music is playing. 

5 hours ago, audiobomber said:

All earlier firmware versions work for me, but not V05.41. MPD/UPnP are the latest iteration.

Eunhasu Web interface version : V0.5.31

MPD version : 0.23.13
UPMPDCLI version : 1.7.9

Music is playing. 

Firmware may sometimes have issues- I encountered once, related to the Wireless Toggle connection.  May from Sotm frequently visits here and ultimately they fixed the issue.  

Glad you figured out the issue.

8 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Did you check the MPD configuration? A friend of mine recently updated his sMS200 and the dac was detected as DoP while it was actually Native DSD (McIntosh DA2), changing the configuration from DoP to Native DSD type 2 solved the issue

Thanks Stefano, you nailed it! I had been playing with DSD settings shortly before the trouble. I went back to DoP and everything seems to be working and I have the latest updates. Operator error! 😜

Looks like I have a network problem too, which complicated troubleshooting. My old WAP is no longer working properly.

22 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Is it a Wireless Access Point?

A reboot and/or a reset and reconfiguration should solve the issue … if it isn’t an hw issue

Yes, I just completed the reset and it's working. Previously it was working for a while then would fail. If the reset doesn't resolve it, I'll reload the firmware.

LOL! I connected my computer to the extender and it hung while I was trying to upload this post. Time to replace firmware.

Well, that's the end of that! I reloaded the firmware, and the six-year-old TP-Link 580D worked for a few minutes then crapped out again. It's a shame, it's a nice unit, it allowed me to turn off the broadcast radios and it's the only extender I own that allows for PSU upgrades. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I use sms-200 in mpd/DLNA mode and Bubbleupnp as control point. I used to get to choose between two renderers 1) sms200 and 2) sms200-UPnP/AV. The first one is very responsive. The UPnP/AV one takes time to respond. I always used the first one and had no problems.

However since a few days I only get to see the 2nd renderer. I can't find anything that is changed. I did a few reboots to no avail.

Any ideas how to get the first none UPnP/AV renderer back?

I've moved the sMS-200 to my desktop system, where it feeds a Modius DAC. The Modius cannot play DSD files. Is there any way to transcode DSD to PCM on the fly with Eunhasu?