IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

So far no joy for me with ApplePi Baker. With the new mSD card inserted it just doesn't boot up. Just like the 3 or 4 other disc image programs I've tried. It starts to write to the mSD then it stops about 30 secs in.

On some of the image writers it just stops. On others it throws a image failed message and on ApplePi Baker it goes from 4 min to go before done to DONE all of a sudden. No errors or anything.

I'm starting to suspect it's the MI related ARM version of MacOS. I have an older Intel MacBook. That will be my next attempt.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3

It's too early to tell yet, but flashing the mSD with ApplePi Baker on my MacBook Pro (Intel) is certainly acting completely different than when I did the same thing on my M1 iMac. On the M1 it ran for 30 - 40 seconds and said DONE! But on my older MBP it's been running for 30 minutes and still going. It's about 60% done.

It seems SoTM needs to get themselves a M1 Based Mac and figure something out on how to do this process.

As soon as I know if this is all going to work now I'll post it here.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers

OK, it took over an hour to write the image to the disk. But it appears to be finished.

My SMS200 Ultra has been rebooting and reading the disk for a good 20 mins and still seems to be working.

It also seems to have moved it's IP address. I found it on my router Admin page so I know the new IP but when I try to visit I got 403 FORBIDDEN - You don't have permission to access this resource.Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe.

I've read to expect a long first boot up, but don't know how long is long. I am seeing network activity and my router sees it. So, it's there... but.

An hour later, I rebooted the SoTM SMS200 Ultra. Now I get at it's IP address:

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Seems the hour spent writing the 5.2 upgrade (actually the weekend of doing so) has been for naught.

6 hours ago, Oepsie said:

Same success here. Dd image on macbook. Burn onto 16 gb sandisk class 10. Have done it several times with success.

Have also tried making a backup image from older installation to burn onto a friends sd card. Also worked like a charm ☺️

I have used DD in the past but using Sandisk Class 10 A1 instead of Class 10.  Don’t know if A1 caused any extra issue.  Will order some Class 10 to try. 

I'm using a Sandisk Ultra Class 10 A1 32GB mSD card. And I did download for a second time the disk image. Watching the lights on my SMS200 Ultra It looks like it starts to boot up and then reboots again. About every 20 seconds I see it flash that one very bright light that you see when you first turn on the device, then a lot of small activity blinks followed by the BRIGHT light.

I may give it another try - or I may bail out on this. I spent most of the weekend trying to get this to work. I'm happy that v5.1 works well.

The thing is - I don't want to be in a situation where I can no longer upgrade the firmware/software of this device. That can't be good long term.

3 minutes ago, creativepart said:

I'm using a Sandisk Ultra Class 10 A1 32GB mSD card. And I did download for a second time the disk image. Watching the lights on my SMS200 Ultra It looks like it starts to boot up and then reboots again. About every 20 seconds I see it flash that one very bright light that you see when you first turn on the device, then a lot of small activity blinks followed by the BRIGHT light.

I may give it another try - or I may bail out on this. I spent most of the weekend trying to get this to work. I'm happy that v5.1 works well.

The thing is - I don't want to be in a situation where I can no longer upgrade the firmware/software of this device. That can't be good long term.

Have you tried copying the 5.1 image from the old sd card onto the new card and doing an update through eunhasu interface? That would be my next move if you haven’t tried that. And by copy I mean creating an image from the old sd card and burn in onto the new.. ☺️

27 minutes ago, Oepsie said:

Have you tried copying the 5.1 image from the old sd card onto the new card and doing an update through eunhasu interface? That would be my next move if you haven’t tried that. And by copy I mean creating an image from the old sd card and burn in onto the new.. ☺️

Humm, not a bad idea. I did attempt to update via the Eunhasu interface three times previously with the current working 5.1 mSD. It failed with a Failure message - it didn't just hang. It said to go the new disk image route. I had considered trying the update again but didn't want to compromise my working mSD card.

All fixed. It turned out to be that lousy SanDisk mSD card. I heard from May via email and she said to get another mSD card, one that's faster and try it again.

So, I did. My original mSD card - the one that didn't work - was an $8 SanDisk U1 A Class 10 so it should be fine. But when the image was being written to the disk it would bog down around 60% complete and then stall and complete very slowly. In fact, it took about 20 to 30 mins to finish.

The new card is a PNY XHC Elite U1 A Class 10 that cost $16. It imaged in one continuous 2 min write with BelanaEscher on my old MacBook Pro. I didn't try it on the M1 iMac. But I'd bet I would have worked.

So, now I know - only GOOD microSD cards in the future. None of this SanDisk crap.

By the way, I got the cards at Walmart - we live 25 miles out of town and Walmart or Walgreens is the only choice out here. The Electronics/Camera dept had the lousy SanDisk but the Auto Dept had the PNY disk. Why there? For use in a Dashboard Camera.

OK, new issue. The HQP NAA daemon won't install.

Dozens of attempts, many reboots. No joy.

When I try to install the HQPlayer NAA it goes through the install process, then says Done 3, Done 2, Done 1 and Done. When I go back to the Eunhasu control panel the Play/Start button is there but before I can click on it it disappears.

I've tried rebooting 4 or 5 times. But no luck.

When I click the Install button it says: Network Audio Daemon version : not installed - even after a dozen attempts.

Uninstalling LMS/Squeezelite now.... That worked. Thank you!

Should I remove the other services (MPD &DNLA) I'm not using? Any benefit in doing that??

Wow, that was unnecessarily convoluted process to get updated from 5.1 to 5.2. OK, I learned a lot. Which is good. But I started this process on Sat and today is Tuesday!

Thanks so much for all the help.

I should have given up on the slow SanDisk mSD card right away. I just didn't understand that the problems I was having were symptoms of that issue.

And if there isn't room for all the various Services to be installed at the same time then none of them should be pre-installed OR there should be a note about that somewhere.

Is it too much to ask, or expect even, that when trying to install a new service via Eunhasu that when you click on install for that new service that you get a notice or popup that tells you to uninstall some existing service to provide space for the new service? Or even when you actually go through the install process of another service and it fails because there is not enough storage space that you would receive an error message that explains the issue and how to proceed?

I mean really - that's pretty basic stuff for a company like SoTM to implement.

Thanks for all who posted to try to help out.  I did make some progress.  First I tried to download the files five times, and make sure they were all the same in size, before and after being unzipped.  Given all the sizes are the same, which is about 8.05G after unzipped, I felt a bit more assured that the downloaded files were not corrupted.  Upon the suggestions I read here, I used Balena Etcher to burn the images.  It took about 5 to 6 min to burn the image to the memory cards.

Loaded the card into sMS 200, and ran the eunhasu/local from the safari, and checked/downloaded the kernel, and installed the new version of NAA which I mainly used of sMS 200 for HQPlayer.  Everything worked fine and I could not hear significant SQ difference given the limited time spent so far.  The only “cosmetic” issue I encountered is, under the Network in Apple OS (Monterey), the logo for EUNHASU is a question mark.  I tried to fixed this issue. With the following variables, DD vs. Balena, Mac Mini M1 vs. Intel MacBook Air, different possible formats of cards, the card is old or new, it remains the same.  The potential issues with previous effort could likely from the image copy software, Balena and dd.

10 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Unfortunately, I still see the logo of SMS200 from the Network posted as a question mark.

… don’t bother … it’s the same on my High Sierra MacBook Pro (late 2011)

… and if you uncheck Share folder (samba) in eunhasu Library configuration page the file explorer entry will disappear 

0D86300E-8738-4F60-8971-20C072BA6132.jpeg

Stefano

My audio system