IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

1 minute ago, stefano_mbp said:

0.5.4 is not yet available for download but you can download the 0.5.31 image from here (bottom of the page) and then update to 0.5.4

But, what about the Kernel. Will the updated kernel be part of the earlier download?

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3

I reapplied 0.5.4 - not from a disk image - from the Eunhasu control panel. But when doing a Kernel check I still just get a REBOOT option, no an upgrade option. Attempted this change another 5-times. And nothing but REBOOT and the same Kenel version as before.

Plus, no matter how many times I try uninstalling the NAA it never uninstalls and I see this as the version:

HQPlayer Network Audio Adapter  

Network Audio Daemon version : false

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers

28 minutes ago, creativepart said:

I reapplied 0.5.4 - not from a disk image - from the Eunhasu control panel. But when doing a Kernel check I still just get a REBOOT option, no an upgrade option. Attempted this change another 5-times. And nothing but REBOOT and the same Kenel version as before.

Plus, no matter how many times I try uninstalling the NAA it never uninstalls and I see this as the version:

HQPlayer Network Audio Adapter  

Network Audio Daemon version : false

It’s possible your sd card went corrupted, I suggest to start from scratch with 0.5.31 

Stefano

My audio system

Thanks @stefano_mbp for sharing the update info.

Everything went fine for me (sms-200 ultra neo) :

• system upgrade to 0.5.4 without sweat
  • kernel upgrade from 5.14.9-211.fc32.armv7hl to 6.1.33-210.fc32.armv7hl

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

I downloaded the 0.5.31 img file and applied it to the 32gb PNY micro SD card. No problems.

I booted the SMS200 Ultra with the re-imaged mSD card. No Problems

I updated the firmware to 0.5.4. No problems

I click on Kernel Check and after thinking for 30 sec or so it gives me only the REBOOT option. Rebooting did nothing.

And, a unlike previously where I could not uninstall the NAA to update it... it now shows that I need to install the NAA but it now goes through install, 3,2,1 done but does not install.  Previously, it would not uninstall, now it's uninstalled, but will not install.

Here's the page that I'm getting when if complete the Kernel Check:

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 12.52.11 PM.png

After "installing" NAA a dozen times. This is still the result after the DONE response:

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 1.26.47 PM.png

1 minute ago, Nouchka said:

Did you tried to click on reboot? 

I guess it has to restart to use the new kernel 

Of course, every time. Nothing happens It just shows the old kernel version and a kenel check button.

5 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

reboot the sMS200 and then try to install kernel again

if it goes well reboot again and try to install NAA

I've rebooted it and tried it again - both kernel update and NAA installed dozens of times now.

I either need a new disk image down load or to try another mSD card again. between 5.1 and 5.3 I had to totally replace the mSD card. The previous card was a 32gb Samsung EVO card, when I replaced it it used the 32gb PNY that folks point to as best for this application.

I couldn't get the Samsung mSD to take the 5.3v disc image, that's why I changed to the PNY mSD.

4 minutes ago, creativepart said:

I've rebooted it and tried it again - both kernel update and NAA installed dozens of times now.

I either need a new disk image down load or to try another mSD card again. between 5.1 and 5.3 I had to totally replace the mSD card. The previous card was a 32gb Samsung EVO card, when I replaced it it used the 32gb PNY that folks point to as best for this application.

I couldn't get the Samsung mSD to take the 5.3v disc image, that's why I changed to the PNY mSD.

Try to format the card (fat32) and then burn the image again, no need to download the image again

Stefano

My audio system

Yeah, i was thinking of trying both reformating and also maybe trying the Samsung card again, or both.

Since 5.0 this has been an ordeal each time for me. I realize it's not a problem for other folks. I'm not sure why I've started having the issue. I've had the SMS200 followed by the SMS200 Ultra for a long time now.

There are plenty of times I think of getting a new mass market streamer that's less of a hassle.

I went back to the Samsung EVO mSD card. It had 5.1 on it. I inserted it and booted the SoTM device. I went to the Update option in Eunhasu to update to 5.4 - But the system told me it would take 5+ hours. So, instead I powered down and applied the 0.5.31 image to the Samsung card.

That worked a treat. The unit booted to 5.31 and I applied the update via the Control Panel. Once 5.4 was set I did the Kernel Check and it worked. Unlike with the previous mSD card, rather than a spinning wheel for 20-30 seconds it sat there spinning for 4 or 5 min. After a Reboot I did the NAA install again, and instead of 10-sec of spinning install wheel I had 2 to 3 min of install and again a reboot. All seems fine now.

Thinking about this whole thing - I'd say the PNY mSD must have had something corrupt on it. I probably could have simply reformatted it and everything would have worked. But since I got the Samsung EVO mSD to work I won't know.

The NAA is now version 4.4 is that the correct version?? I thought it was at 5.0v???

Thanks for the advice and bearing with me through all of this. As I said, I had issues from 5.1 to 5.3 as well. And, since it's a year or so since that issue I kind of have to learn to recognize what I'm seeing as if it was a new problem all over again.

Great news! Kernel 6.1.33-210.fc32.armv7hl now works perfectly with my MOTU UltraLite-mk5... at all sample rates up to its maximum 192k. (Only 44.1k and 48k rates worked previously.)

Thanks SOtM!

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

I have two sotm sMS-200Ultra Neo streamers. did the upgrade for both. rebooted both units. 

One can load eunhasu, but Roon can no longer see it. the other cannot complete the reboot and I cannot enter eunhasu. 

Any suggestions? both are on Samsung sd cards. 

I am having problems connecting my sMS-200 Ultra to my Asus AX router using the Edimax EW-7811UAC usb dongle.
I am able to see my router SSIDs in the System Config WiFi page (I see two of them with the same name, probably because I have both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios under the same SSID name?). I select the first one, write the password, but I get an "Invalid password" message although the password is correct. I am using WPA2/WPA3-Personal authentication methods. sMS-200 Ultra firmware is 5.2. I already tried 5.3.1 and 5.4 that gave me even more problems.

2 minutes ago, aslg said:

and 5.4 that gave me even more problems.

You should upgrade to 5.4 and to the new kernel as it gives compatibility with more Wi-Fi dongle chips (btw … 5.2 is quite old and had some issues)

Try for first to connect the SOtM to the router by wire, once it works fine try using Wi-Fi dongle and if you have the same double SSID with same name “issue” try to change in the router the SSID names (one for 2.4GHz and the other for 5GHz )

Stefano

My audio system

On 7/29/2023 at 10:56 AM, stefano_mbp said:

You should upgrade to 5.4 and to the new kernel as it gives compatibility with more Wi-Fi dongle chips (btw … 5.2 is quite old and had some issues)

Try for first to connect the SOtM to the router by wire, once it works fine try using Wi-Fi dongle and if you have the same double SSID with same name “issue” try to change in the router the SSID names (one for 2.4GHz and the other for 5GHz )

Thanks Stefano,
I upgraded to 5.4 but the duplicated SSID and the Invalid password message are still present. I would prefer avoiding to split my network on two only for this issue. No one of my other apps and services have a problem with a single SSID for both the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. I would like to suggest  @MayfromSOtM to support this case in one of the next firmware updates.

In my area power is not very stable. One or two times a year it happens that power goes off, then it returns, than it goes off again and then it finally returns. When that happens my smS-200 Ultra goes off, then it restarts when power returns, then goes off again, and then it restarts when power returns again. In the past two years the microsd card got corrupted two times when that problem happened. I think the problem could be mitigated if the smS-200 Ultra does not start immediately when is connected to power.

Is there an option to disable this automatic boot behavior?