IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

@Cebolla, thanks for your comments. At this point, I think we are all guessing as to the real cause of the gapless problem. I really wish someone from JRiver and from SOtM would help solve this after all it speaks loudly about their support capability and the ability of their products to handle DSD files correctly. I guess this is one wish that will not happen! I don't think any of us wants to spend so much time on something like this when instead we can be listening to good music!

Whether JRiver or SOtM solves this problem or not, I can live with this limitation for now, however, I still want to upsample files. How can I do this with HQPlayer NAA on the SOtM?

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Perhaps, the sMS-200 has a problem supporting gapless playback when playing the high sample rate WAV files provided by JRiver's UPnP/DLNA media servers when upsampling (or producing DoP).

In the past, up to JRiver26, it tried and used it in all its possible configuration and it didn’t have any issue. 
Sotm sms200 was used as dlna renderer without issues. 
Sotm sms200 worked fine with Audirvana too and as MPD/Dlna renderer with Minimserver 

Never had any issue playing gapless up to dsd256 where possible. 

Now it works flawlessly and gapless as HQP NAA up to dsd512.
It should be interesting if you could try yourself instead of speculating on “theories “.

In my experience JRiver is a quite strange “beast”, difficult and confusing to set it up in the right way and it has different behaviors depending on which OS it is running on: I experimented on macOS and Ubuntu and it has different flaws … very confusing …

Stefano

My audio system

9 minutes ago, swcng2001 said:

How can I do this with HQPlayer NAA on the SOtM?

My setup is as follows 

• Minimserver as upnp library server
  • Bubbleupnpserver to give HQPlayer embedded OpenHome compatibility (necessary to be able to use Lumin app as control point)
  • Lumin (or Linn Kazoo, Linn, Bubbleupnp ..,.)
  • HQPlayer Os (embedded) running on Intel Nuc
  • HQPlayer NAA running on Sotm sms200 
  • dac usb connected to Sotm/NAA

Stefano

My audio system

25 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

In the past, up to JRiver26, it tried and used it in all its possible configuration and it didn’t have any issue. 
Sotm sms200 worked fine with Audirvana too and as MPD/Dlna renderer with Minimserver 

It should be interesting if you could try yourself instead of speculating on “theories “.

In my experience JRiver is a quite strange “beast”, difficult and confusing to set it up in the right way and it has different behaviors depending on which OS it is running on: I experimented on macOS and Ubuntu and it has different flaws … very confusing …

Yes of course & definitely agree about JRiver. I was "butting in" after all - especially as I don't have the sMS-200 to try myself! So if you'll excuse my speculation, your experience points to the problem being down to JRiver's production of those particular WAV files for streaming on that particular machine.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

6 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

the problem being down to JRiver's production of those particular WAV files for streaming on that particular machine

Not different from Ropieee XL, maybe just for different MPD and UPMPDCLI versions. 
My idea is that JRiver guys released DSD upsampling for a marketing reason over all, at the v26 time they where of the opinion that DSD upsampling to a DLNA renderer was impossible, then the released the feature, just up to DSD64, in v27 and in v28 they gave more options. 
It is possible that the functionality it still quite “young” and possibly a bit buggy.

It would be fine if more customers could use it and “shrink” out the issues, but there are more appealing players outside like Audirvana, Roon and HQPlayer when upsampling enters the game, then it could take some time to perfect it. 

Stefano

My audio system

14 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Hello Stefano,

I ran another test. This time with Audirvāna running on my Mac mini. Gapless DSD played without any problem🤔 It kind of proves that there’s no problem with MPD/DLNA on the SOtM and it’s more a problem with JRiver. It could be some problem with the settings in JRiver which can be very confusing. 
I’m still trying to find out about Audirvana especially how I can upsample PCM files. 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having trouble removing the NNA from Eunhasu Music Player for my SMS200 Ultra. I've closed HQP and Roon. I've turned off the NAA and clicked "Uninstall" half a dozen times but it's not uninstalling.

SoTM has the following instructions:

For example for HQplayer NAA feature,

• Enter to HQplayer NAA config page.
  • Click a Delete/remove button.
  • Once successfully deleted/removed, a install button will be appeared.
  • Click the install button to apply the update.
  • Check the version number and use the feature.

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

3 hours ago, creativepart said:

I'm having trouble removing the NNA from Eunhasu Music Player for my SMS200 Ultra. I've closed HQP and Roon. I've turned off the NAA and clicked "Uninstall" half a dozen times but it's not uninstalling.

SoTM has the following instructions:

Do your Eunhasu firmware the latest version? Please update the firmware to the latest version and try to uninstall/reinstall NAA again.

Thank you.

According to my Eunhasu "update" I have the latest version with nothing to update.

NAA is version 4.20

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

3 minutes ago, creativepart said:

According to my Eunhasu "update" I have the latest version with nothing to update.

NAA is version 4.20

Currently the server is in maintenance mode, since we are preparing the new update, it will be ready soon. until then, please wait. I think it will be available tomorrow. 

• 3 weeks later...

New firmware update available: V0.5.31 !

Very fast download … 2’ 30” 

Change log 

- Applied the CPU latency tunning for upgrading performance and sound quality
- Added the nqptp service to support Airplay2
- Added the NTP client service
- Fixed up the beta package installation bug
- Fixed up the wrong text in GUI page

and more: for Squeezelite Stream buffer and Output buffer settings are now differentiated

Stefano

My audio system

46 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

New firmware update available: V0.5.31 !

Thanks for letting us know.

Any idea exactly what the new 'CPU latency tuning' does and/or how it works?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro