IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

On 1/25/2023 at 6:39 PM, manisandher said:

Hi May, thank you - I will try this.

Just another quick question:

I now have a total of three sMS-200 units! (I'm a big fan of the new CPU latency tuning feature 🙂). My new Ultra SE unit stands alone in my office system in town. However, my two 'regular' units are connected to two different systems in my house. I have given them different names in Roon to distinguish between them, and this works perfectly. However, Eunhasu only recognises one sMS-200 at a time (even though both are connected to the network). If I want to access the second unit, I have to shut the first down. Not a big deal, but not the most convenient either.

I suspect this will require an update to the Eunhasu app, but it would be great to be able to select different sMS-200 units on the same network (by selecting its IP address in Eunhasu?).

Just a thought for a future update...

Mani.

turn all off.

turn one on.

change the name in the settings page. i name mine by room eg eunhasuStudy

turn second unit on, change name eg eunhasuBedroom

repeat as necessary.

in chrome, u can access individual units by typing the name ie eunhasustudy/ etc etc

they all show up as different endpoints in Roon, which u can also rename accordingly in Roon.

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to explore the wireless option of SMS200 again, which I had it worked a couple of years ago.  But now, when I turned network on button in wifi page, the wifi router appeared to be invisible to sMS 200.  Of course, when I manually added the ID and password, the network connection was established since sMS was still connected through LAN cable, but the wireless ID was not available.  I am using a Edimax Wi-Fi 5 802.11ac AC600 High Gain Dual-Band (2.4GHz/5GHz) Adapter w/ Adjustable +4/6dBi Antenna.

Don’t know anyone can give me a suggestion what may go wrong.  Thank you very much.

3 minutes ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

I am trying to explore the wireless option of SMS200 again, which I had it worked a couple of years ago.  But now, when I turned network on button in wifi page, the wifi router appeared to be invisible to sMS 200.  Of course, when I manually added the ID and password, the network connection was established since sMS was still connected through LAN cable, but the wireless ID was not available.  I am using a Edimax Wi-Fi 5 802.11ac AC600 High Gain Dual-Band (2.4GHz/5GHz) Adapter w/ Adjustable +4/6dBi Antenna.

Don’t know anyone can give me a suggestion what may go wrong.  Thank you very much.

Does your adapter use the right chipset as recommended here?

Stefano

My audio system

4 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Does your adapter use the right chipset as recommended here?

Yes, RTL8812AU chipset requirement was respected when the dongle was purchased.  Also, it was working two years ago.  But your questions made me think the other equipment I changed in the past two years.  These are the Wifi Router, from TP-Link generic brand purchased 6-7 years ago to ASUS AX5400, and computer was changed from a MacBook of 2012 to Mac Mini M1.  Wonder if these may contribute to the issue.

40 minutes ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Yes, RTL8812AU chipset requirement was respected when the dongle was purchased.  Also, it was working two years ago.  But your questions made me think the other equipment I changed in the past two years.  These are the Wifi Router, from TP-Link generic brand purchased 6-7 years ago to ASUS AX5400, and computer was changed from a MacBook of 2012 to Mac Mini M1.  Wonder if these may contribute to the issue.

Unfortunately I cannot answer to this, I don’t use Wi-Fi for SOtM.

Hopefully @MayfromSOtM will help

Stefano

My audio system

27 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Unfortunately I cannot answer to this, I don’t use Wi-Fi for SOtM.

Hopefully @MayfromSOtM will help

No problem at all, @stefano_mbp, I really appreciate your reaching out to help me.  I am upgrading the firmware for both the router and dongle to see if it helps.  I also do not use wireless connection either.  But in this case, I want to test some ideas of remote disc playing using HQPlayer.  

So, I have made both firmware and kernel profiles current.  I also bought a brand new Wi-Fi Dongle which respects the requirement of RTL8812AU for chipset. I also updated the firmware of ASUS Router firmware to current.  Unfortunately, it still not working, the same issue as reported previously.  For those unfamiliar with the situation, I turned on the WiFi option, the Eunhansu setup page cannot see the Wi-Fi network dedicated for the system.  When I manually connected the Wi-Fi network, the network connection can be established but only with the error on wireless IP.  I am asking myself if I should reimaged the memory card?  Any other possibilities?  

Do you need to go wireless? Wired sounds better IME, and fiber optic is best.

If wireless is a necessity, you should get a wireless access point and connect to the sMS via ethernet cable, to get the noisy wireless radio away from the renderer. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

So just report some progress.  I burned the image of V5.2 into a memory card.  With this card, the Wi-Fi function immediately worked for both Wifi dongles I have.  When I upgraded the firmware to V5.31, it still worked fine.  I am HQP user and installation of HQP appears causing no issue either, after the upgrad of V5.31.  Only after I updated the kernel file, Wi-Fi stopped working.  I did this process for three iterations, with different paths, and identified that it was latest Kernel update which caused the issue.  Wonder if anyone here experienced the same issue. 

On a different note, I tried to download the V5.31 directly from SotM’s web site.  Appears that this file cannot be properly unzipped.  

Thanks for the update, what I add to my knowledge here is updating solves most problems 😉

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

• 3 weeks later...

During the process to understand the root cause of the Wi-Fi malfunction, I noticed that with different brands of memory cards, the SQ are drastically different.  I used three cards, Samson EVO Select, ENY Elite Class, and SanDisk Ultra.  The first two are 32GB, whereas the last one is 16GB. The Samson appears to be the smoothest, and SanDisk to be a bit congested in sound stage and also sound harsh, ENY gives a better overall performance, everything sounds better, deeper base with punch, clear image, but not without refinement.  

Wonder if anyone has any personal references regarding the memory card selection.  

19 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Is it Samsung ? ….

I can see that Samsung Evo Select has a read speed up to 130 MB/s while the Sandisk Ultra is only 98 MB/s and the PNY Elite is very close to the Sandisk with 100 MB/s … cannot figure why they should sound different

Yes, it is Samsung EVo Select.  Too bad two typos for a short paragraph.  Thank you for the info.  

Yes, the sound quality are hugely different among three cards.