IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

6 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Not at all here, what service have you enabled in eunhasu?

Have you updated the SOtM on the air or have you reflashed the new firmware?

MPD & DLNA / BubbleUPnP. I went through what many others here have gone through but finally succeeded in burning a disc image of the new firmware and installed on a 32 gb SD card. After a week or so of trying to research it I decided a re-install via GUI it once I had it working again, but no change so far. Finally, I went back to an older setup completely bypassing the unit and going direct from pc to dac and the difference was startling, much better sounding (but I could never get the unit to sound as good as this anyway). It's making me wonder...

2 hours ago, zortation said:

Finally, I went back to an older setup completely bypassing the unit and going direct from pc to dac and the difference was startling, much better sounding (but I could never get the unit to sound as good as this anyway). It's making me wonder...

Sounds like something is wrong for sure, unless you are using a computer that is highly customized for audio. 

For the record, I'm having no trouble with 5.2 via UPnP, sonically or operationally. I did have trouble with the initial installation but resolved it in a few days. During this little struggle, I went back to V4.7 for a few days. Man, we have had some improvements since then. I don't recall which update did it, but there was a major sonic improvement subsequent to V4.7, which continues through V5.2. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Sounds like something is wrong for sure, unless you are using a computer that is highly customized for audio. 

It's definitely a headscratcher. Before the sms-200 purchase I was streaming Tidal using a stock Lenovo T450 and the only tweak I made was to upsample to 176.4 khz in the pc's Windows audio settings. I was also using wifi to stream the service from my  router to the laptop. It still sounds fantastic, no issues at all.

With SOtM in the signal chain, I still prefered the sound quality with upsampling but now the dac is doing it, and at a higher--but fixed---sampling rate. But I'm struggling trying to figure out how a fully wired network player actually doesn't sound as good as my old laptop > very long usb (from The Source) cable > dac.

Now after the latest firmware update I'm getting a raspiness in high frequencies when listening to music. I must be doing something wrong here. 🤕

• 4 weeks later...

Previously I owned an SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo but sold it to make place for a Pi2AES. However I started missing the possibilty of DSD playback so today bought and Ultra Neo revamped by Elite Audio including a 10 MHz / 75 Ohm external clock connection. I love the sound with mpd and DSD512

I have a question about external clocking. I have an Aune XC1 external clock, also 10 MHz / 75 Ohm,  with 2 sine and 2 aquare wave connections, but nothing seems to happen when I connect or disconnect it. I would at least expect there to be an audible hiccup when the SMS-200 switches from internal to external clock or vice versa, and neither can I hear a difference in SQ.

How can I be sure that the SMS-200 is locking to the external clock?

I tried the same with an Afterdark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz / 75 Ohm clock with one square wave connection, but not sure whether the SMS-200 is happy with a square wave. SOtM's own sCLK-OCX10 master clock does sine waves.

audio system

3 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Previously I owned an SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo but sold it to make place for a Pi2AES. However I started missing the possibilty of DSD playback so today bought and Ultra Neo revamped by Elite Audio including a 10 MHz / 75 Ohm external clock connection. I love the sound with mpd and DSD512

I have a question about external clocking. I have an Aune XC1 external clock, also 10 MHz / 75 Ohm,  with 2 sine and 2 aquare wave connections, but nothing seems to happen when I connect or disconnect it. I would at least expect there to be an audible hiccup when the SMS-200 switches from internal to external clock or vice versa, and neither can I hear a difference in SQ.

I tried the same with an Afterdark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz / 75 Ohm clock with one square wave connection, but not sure whether the SMS-200 is happy with a square wave. SOtM's own sCLK-OCX10 master clock does sine waves.

I thought SMS-200 is 50 ohm

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

17 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Actually, upon my question whether I can use my two 10MHz / 75 Ohm reference clocks (Afterdark and Aune) for the SMS-200, SOtM's May just confirmed (I think) that this is possible:

Yes, you can use the 10mhz clock signal to the sMS-200ultra Neo with 75ohm master clock input version.

I could be wrong, my understanding is, unless special request, sM@-200 ultra Neo came with 50 ohm as standard.

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

On 2/16/2022 at 10:18 PM, bodiebill said:

My SMS-200 Ultra has no problem with the  square wave of the Ref 10. If you open up the SMS-200 you can see a led connection light if I remember correctly. I'm using 75Ohm. With the Ref 10 you must remember to enable the BNC output of the connection on the Ref 10.

28 minutes ago, afrancois said:

My SMS-200 Ultra has no problem with the  square wave of the Ref 10. If you open up the SMS-200 you can see a led connection light if I remember correctly. I'm using 75Ohm. With the Ref 10 you must remember to enable the BNC output of the connection on the Ref 10.

Great, thanks. This is in line with what SOtM's May just wrote to me about the LED on the sCLK-EX module -- even including a video (albeit of the module in the sNH-10G).

What is the position of the sCLK-EX module in the SMS-200? Can it be seen at all through the vent holes?

P S I ordered an AfterDark Trifecta Emperor Double Crown master clock as I needed more connections.

audio system

On 2/18/2022 at 1:42 AM, mitch751 said:

I could be wrong, my understanding is, unless special request, sM@-200 ultra Neo came with 50 ohm as standard.

It does not come with a 10 MHz reference clock input at all as standard.

Either a 75ohm or 50ohm clock input would both be an option.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On 2/16/2022 at 9:18 PM, bodiebill said:

If you look through the ventilation slots on the top of the case, you can see the tiny indicator lights on the sCLK-EX clock board.

You can see the way the lights change, from blinking to solid as you engage / disengage the external clock. If the lights do not change when you connect your clock, something is wrong.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

23 minutes ago, Confused said:

If you look through the ventilation slots on the top of the case, you can see the tiny indicator lights on the sCLK-EX clock board.

You can see the way the lights change, from blinking to solid as you engage / disengage the external clock. If the lights do not change when you connect your clock, something is wrong.

Thanks, I cannot say I see anything, but maybe I will open the case to make sure.

Other than 'top' could you give another pointer for the loaction of the sCLK-EX clock board?

audio system

8 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Thanks, I cannot say I see anything, but maybe I will open the case to make sure.

Other than 'top' could you give another pointer for the loaction of the sCLK-EX clock board?

It is the larger white coloured board: (this is the innards of a pre-Neo sMS-200Ultra)

Note that if you look carefully, you can see the clock indicator lights through the grill on the top of the unit, with external clock connected or not.

image.png.cbab1d648ecf725f23a77eacd92520c4.png

11 minutes ago, Confused said:

It is the larger white coloured board: (this is the innards of a pre-Neo sMS-200Ultra)

Note that if you look carefully, you can see the clock indicator lights through the grill on the top of the unit, with external clock connected or not.

image.png.cbab1d648ecf725f23a77eacd92520c4.png

Thanks! But I think I know why I see nothing: I have the Elite Audio special edition and this has eABS-200 EMI absorbers that block my view through the vents.

audio system

18 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Thanks! But I think I know why I see nothing: I have the Elite Audio special edition and this has eABS-200 EMI absorbers that block my view through the vents.

Correction: I opened the sMS-200 and found that the two LED's in the center of the board function as they should.

From the sCLK-EX manual:

The Detect LED turns on once the clock output synchronizes to the external master clock input. The Detect LED located next to the Operate LED and the Operate LED blinks once the sCLK-EX operates normally.

When I attach the sMS-200 the Operate LED blinks, and if I am correct the Detect LED also.

When I attach the external reference clock (in my case Afterdark 10 MHz / 75 Ohm), the Detect LED starts to burn continously and te Operate LED keeps blinking.

Now I will wait for the Afterdark Trifact Emperor Double Crown that I ordered to replace my current one. The latter has only one output, the Trifact has three. And for now I need two, one for the Audio-GD DI-20HE and one for the sMS-200. 

image.png.1b40e29a03767508d073e2c5a5be4aea.png

audio system

• 2 weeks later...