IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

4 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Wonder if you can share how you update to v5.2, through update from the Eunhasu interphase or burn a complete new memory.  

Thank you.

Hello, Just downloaded the v.5.2 image and uncompressed to a new 32GB MicroSD card.  Thank you.

Hi,

My current head-fi-set up is a MacBook Pro running Audirvana Studio, fed by a Mutec MC3. The Mac sees my NAS in Finder. In a picture:

image.png.1cb68f064c1c1d2d3ede0fe04eb30a48.png

I am considering a separate streamer/renderer (too many drop outs, the Mac is an oldie). But it has to work with Audirvana Studio. So SOtM sMS-200 Ultra could be an option. But I have no clue how I should make this work. Is it as simple as connecting the sMS-200 with the Mutec, and connecting the sMS-200 with an UTP-cable to my network?

15 minutes ago, WAM said:

Hi,

My current head-fi-set up is a MacBook Pro running Audirvana Studio, fed by a Mutec MC3. The Mac sees my NAS in Finder. In a picture:

I am considering a separate streamer/renderer (too many drop outs, the Mac is an oldie). But it has to work with Audirvana Studio. So SOtM sMS-200 Ultra could be an option. But I have no clue how I should make this work. Is it as simple as connecting the sMS-200 with the Mutec, and connecting the sMS-200 with an UTP-cable to my network?

If I understand correctly you won't be connecting your Mac directly to the SMS product, but over your network, so there should be no need to worry about USB wobblies from the Mac. Working backwards, connect the Mutec to the SMS, connect the SMS to your network by cable then browse to it from the Mac. I'm not sure how Audirvana will present your music files to the SMS, but you can always call back here for help if you need it.

@WAM I have a SSD connected to mine, so maybe I am not the best person to say, but if your NAS was connected to a router, and you were willing to use something other than Audirvana (if you had to I don't even know, it has an app I think but don't know if macbook must be running), I think you'd be able to have the macbook in sleep mode once started.  I am in a small room so, using MPD and Soundirok, I put my mac mini to sleep after started up and it's a nice way to run things.

Otherwise I think you'd connect as you describe, start DNLA, then you'd see the sms-200 as an option in Audirvana.

9 hours ago, WAM said:

Hi,

I have established a connection between SMS 200 with Mac Mini using Ethernet and a switch/router.  USB output from SMS 200 to Mutec USB3+, AES/EBU to a DAC.  I have used sMS as DLNA with JRiver or NAA with HQPLAYER.  

On 12/24/2021 at 4:43 PM, WAM said:

Is it as simple as connecting the sMS-200 with the Mutec, and connecting the sMS-200 with an UTP-cable to my network?

I think the short answer is yes. I use Roon and sometimes HQ Player on the PC which both have an end-point on the SMS-200 but Audirvana should work with DLNA on the SMS-200 without any issues. To further improve sound quality, you may want to add a good quality power supply to the SOtM. It comes with a 9V power supply but you can switch to 12V internally if you happen to have a 12V power supply.  I also have the tx-USB ultra between the SMS-200 and the Mutec. It makes an audible but subtle difference in my set-up. That may be because I have an Uptone Etherregen switch and two Mutecs  in series, all of these running on a linear power supply and all the above are clocked by Mutec Ref 10. So it seems that 5 times reclocking doesn't add too much to 4 times reclocking. 

HQplayer - NAA - Devialet D-800 - YG Acoustics Carmel + dual ELAC sub-2090

20 hours ago, zoltan said:

It comes with a 9V power supply but you can switch to 12V internally if you happen to have a 12V power supply.  

Not sure what you mean by "switch to 12V internally". The sMS-200 accepts an external power supply in the voltage range of 6.5 to 12V DC, able to supply 15W. No internal switching required.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

12 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Not sure what you mean by "switch to 12V internally". The sMS-200 accepts an external power supply in the voltage range of 6.5 to 12V DC, able to supply 15W. No internal switching required.

Both options are possible; you can use without changings psu’s between 6.5 till 12v. Without harm is done; But its also possible to adjust it inside..

23 minutes ago, Tommd64 said:

Both options are possible; you can use without changings psu’s between 6.5 till 12v. Without harm is done; But its also possible to adjust it inside..

I've not heard that before. Why and how would one do that?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Audiobomber. Perhaps you have a external 12v PSU you want to use. I’ve ask May before and there’s no problem to use it without adjustment. Im playing with it for more then 2 years without any problem. Ther’s a self regulated psu inside so the Sotm always sees the correct voltage. Though you have to be within 6.5 and 12volts.

7 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

Audiobomber. Perhaps you have a external 12v PSU you want to use. I’ve ask May before and there’s no problem to use it without adjustment. Im playing with it for more then 2 years without any problem. Ther’s a self regulated psu inside so the Sotm always sees the correct voltage. Though you have to be within 6.5 and 12volts.

I do power my sMS-200 with 12V. I questioned your statement that there is an internal switch that can be set to 12V. There is no such switch in the sMS-200, as confirmed above by @ClothEars.

I received my SOtM today. It's now playing in our main set (it's meant for my head-fi-station). Set-up is easy indeed (SOtM via USB in the DAC, Audirvana sees the SOtM). Sound quality right out the box is already impressive. 

Could net get it working with the Mutec, will figure that out when the SOtM moves to my head-fi-station).