IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

I have the non-neo SMS200 Ultra and SMS500 power supply. A couple of days ago I updated from 4.6 to 4.7 firmware. I only did so because it was available. Not because of something contained in the update or because there was any issue.

To my surprise the very next day the new 4.81 update became available. So, what the heck, I applied that update as well.

I heard no sonic difference between 4.6 and 4.7 - nor was any expected. However, "something" has changed with the 4.81 update. I struggle to put my finger on exactly what's different. My best guess is that bass is more pronounced and instruments are more clearly separated and defined.

I should stress that I expected no change in SQ. I don't really think there was any reason to believe there would be an improvement when looking over the list of changes in the update.

Perhaps... I'm just running the volume a tad higher and that accounts for the changes. But even though I don't think there should be any change or improvement. Something... has noticeably changed and for the better.

YMMV

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

If your sotm is working the update is available OTA (on the air).

Under System Setup icon on the eunhasu configuration page you should find a yellow arrow that inform about available updates

If you need tu burn a new card there is non 4.81 download available, afaik, but from here (chapter 1.3)

https://www.docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image

you can download the 4.70 version then you can update to 4.81 as described before

Stefano

My audio system

It sounds good, a very nice present from SOtM to make time fly faster during pandemics...

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

First impression is Sound Level is slightly lower for same volume setting. 

As the Software "runs in". .. it is basically my brain adjusting to the sound.

1. Smoother than 4.70.. the SMS-200 Ultra Neo now gives better timbre to well recorded piano and string instruments

2. Vocals better defined in the higher registers esp female

3. Bass Drum kick a bit more punch and you can hear the drum skin vibration clearer

I am one Happy Covid-19 home bound Audiophile

The change log for 4.81 version report that Qobuz id/pwd issue was finally solved.

I therefore tried to enter my login credentials in MPD configuration settings but sadly nothing changed, it is still not possible to login to Qobuz through sms-200.

I checked it with several apps like Lumin app, Linn app and Kazoo on iOS devices.

To be noticed that Tidal login works fine.

Do not consider MConnect as this app manage by itself (for Tidal and Qobuz) login information and playing music too, discovered this as if you play something using MConnect and then you shut down the device Wi-Fi connection music playing stops.

Is anyone here facing this same issue?

Thanks

Stefano

My audio system

5 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

The change log for 4.81 version report that Qobuz id/pwd issue was finally solved.

I therefore tried to enter my login credentials in MPD configuration settings but sadly nothing changed, it is still not possible to login to Qobuz through sms-200.

I checked it with several apps like Lumin app, Linn app and Kazoo on iOS devices.

To be noticed that Tidal login works fine.

Do not consider MConnect as this app manage by itself (for Tidal and Qobuz) login information and playing music too, discovered this as if you play something using MConnect and then you shut down the device Wi-Fi connection music playing stops.

Is anyone here facing this same issue?

Thanks

Hi Stefano,

I had the same trouble before with V4.7 of eunhasu. I reported about that in dec 2019 : see :

I tried it again with V8.1 recently : same experience as you reported above. Still does not work. You will have to use Mconnect (Ipad) or BubbleUpNp app (android). The problem lies with the Qobuz API. Qobuz promised me in Dec 2019 that they are still working on it, but apparently it has no priority for them. But I do not understand why SOTM wrote that it will work now with V8.1. Did did they really test it?? 

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

2 hours ago, Peter_T said:

Hi Stefano,

I had the same trouble before with V4.7 of eunhasu. I reported about that in dec 2019 : see :

I tried it again with V8.1 recently : same experience as you reported above. Still does not work. You will have to use Mconnect (Ipad) or BubbleUpNp app (android). The problem lies with the Qobuz API. Qobuz promised me in Dec 2019 that they are still working on it, but apparently it has no priority for them. But I do not understand why SOTM wrote that it will work now with V8.1. Did did they really test it?? 

Thank you Peter for confirming this.

I know that the “workaround” is to use MConnect or Bubbleupnp but I was wondering Like you why SOtM announced to have solved the problem.

I asked May of SOtM and she answered that it was working using Bubbleupnp... it seems she doesn’t know what Bubbleupnp is really doing ... but when I told her to use an iOS app she admitted she was facing the same issue using Kazoo and suggested me to contact the app developer .... I don’t really understand this let me say not very professional behavior.

Stefano

My audio system

Just went thru painfully sliw process of downloading 4.70 onto a new 16gd microsd card to do a comparison with the 4.81 updated thru the Eunhasu web interface

4.70 too much emphasis on central Sound image .. sounds slightly left and right of the centre is muddied position wise and lumped into the centre.

Highs a tinge of hardness noticeable in massed strings and Female vocalists high registers

4.81.. tamed hifreq hardness 

Central image shrinks a little but much more focused. 

As a result sounds left and right of centre much more clearly heard 

Stereo spread from extreme left and right better delineated .. Seems to be wider and deeper at extreme left and right

Fantastic free uograde

Thx to SOTM Audio

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, tedwoods said:

A new version is available which updates a bunch of stuff!

Installed flawlessly (fw ver. 4.9) .... MPD/DLNA is working fine!

Change log:

Version : V0.4.9
  - Date : 04-28-2020
  - Upgraded Roonready to the version 1.1.38
  - Upgraded GNU C library with needed few tools for OS system to the version 2.28-9
  - Fixed up Eunhasu version information display method in system config page
  - Upgraded below apps by uninstall and install in Eunhasu
  - Logitech Media Server to the version 7.9.3
  - MPD to the version 0.21.21
  - Upmpdcli(DLNA renderer) to the version 1.4.7
  - HQplayer NAA to the version 4.1.1
  - Shairport to the version 3.3.5
  - LibreSpot to the version 1.1.0
  - BubbleUPnP Server to the version 0.9.update37

Stefano

My audio system

2 hours ago, ClothEars said:

Yes, this update appears to have no bugs and works fine.

I can't detect any change in sound though - which is probably a good thing seeing v4.81 sounds so good!

Agreed - straightforward update, minor oddities from v4.81 sorted, and all sounds good in MPD/DLNA + Squeezelite. Thanks SOTM!

The latest update was sorely needed; 4.81 sounded great but MPD/DLNA was a mess in my system. Play a song or two, then stop, hard to restart, play another song, stop, hard to restart...

4.9 is much more stable.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

22 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

The latest update was sorely needed; 4.81 sounded great but MPD/DLNA was a mess in my system. Play a song or two, then stop, hard to restart, play another song, stop, hard to restart...

4.9 is much more stable.

I had the same issue, a bit less annoying because it occurred more rarely.

After the OS upgrade, try a kernel upgrade. The last kernel version seems to be 4.18.19-215.fc27.armv7hl 

SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

1 hour ago, dgilz said:

I had the same issue, a bit less annoying because it occurred more rarely.

After the OS upgrade, try a kernel upgrade. The last kernel version seems to be 4.18.19-215.fc27.armv7hl 

I always do a Kernel update before updating the firmware.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

5 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I always do a Kernel update before updating the firmware.

Before ? Is it better ? As far as I picture linux modules work the system might be less stable if you do it before ?

Perhaps I don't really get how it works...

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

I update the Kernal after I update the firmware. Don't know which way is better. That's just how I handle it.

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

50 minutes ago, dgilz said:

Before ? Is it better ? As far as I picture linux modules work the system might be less stable if you do it before ?

Perhaps I don't really get how it works...

I don't know what is better. I do the Kernel first because it appears above the firmware update on the Eunhasu page. This topic has been discussed before with no clear resolution, so I've emailed May Park for input.

I've updated no issues; it did hang up at 29% but I've learned to wait it out then bam ready to reboot.  I have not really listened to it other than to make sure no issues MPD but now maybe 3-4 weeks with 4.81 and it does seem like a difference where to me it is that the mid-range has opened up, become clearer or more articulate; maybe the bass is a little more out of the way somehow; deeper maybe but not encroaching on the midrange as much maybe.  That is the effect I am hearing but it is making it more balanced all around top to bottom where no aspect outweighs the other a little more now and relatively I think that is helping the midrange most; but again I like it very much as I am a midrange out kind of guy.