IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

12 hours ago, bmoregnr said:

I hope that gets sorted soon for you.  I had a quick question, when you do an update do you remove the USB drive first?  I think I've done it both ways but was wondering what was best.

I turn off the USB drive when I update because sometimes if your router assigns a new IP address to the SMS-200 after the reboot it can create a phantom USB folder on the network.  This is what it looks like.

42493024_ExtraFolder_1.JPG.8c871e39d407d4d74cee06a471c19076.JPG

There is a way to fix this as I posted on this thread some time ago but the safest way is to not connect or switch on your USB drive whilst updating the firmware or doing a Kernel check.  After the reboot I power down the SMS-200 and connect the drive, then fire it up again and that avoids any problem.

10 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

Update process is stopped bij SotM . Latest version is now 4.7 again Instead of v4.8.

SoTM did a remote connection to my system yesterday to investigate the problem and discovered all is not well with the changes made to mounting external drives - in particular ones using a disk caddy/dock.  They subsequently pulled the update until it is fixed.  What is important is their product support is prompt and first class and they are a pleasure to deal with.

If you are not using this configuration it should work fine but I would hold out until the firmware is fixed in v4.8.  (Interestingly a USB memory stick inserted into the SMS-200 does work). 

I am about to establish another connection with SoTM today to continue to debug this problem so I'll keep you all posted as matters progress.  Oh, and before I forget, May has advised me to do a Kernel Check along with this new firmware update.

39 minutes ago, Tommd64 said:

A Question for anyone what the best place to connect a harddrive flac,s with Roon. The NUC or better straight to the SotM SmS200ultra??

If you use Roon I would connect a hard drive directly to NUC as the files always have to go via Roon core no matter where the file is loacated on the network.

So IF it would work to put the harddrive in sMS-200 the file would anyway go to Roon core and then back to sMS-200 and that makes not much sense to me.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
3 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

... update fast and successful!

Yes, I works very well, and SQ is really improved 

Mac Mini server running Audirvana+

SOtM SMS-200 neo ultra w/ external clock output linked to a tX-USBhubEX 
SOtM SPS-500 powering both streamer and USB reclocker with Ghent Audio Y DC cable

Wyred4Sound DAC2DSDse w/femto clock

Audia flight FL TWO

B&W CM10S2

3 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

Did you guys release a Kernel Cheq. First or after a v4.81 upgrade??

Kernel Check appears above the update link, so I always do it first. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

For those of you that keep playlists saved to your SMS-200 as "playlist.m3u" (or whatever name you have used), you will find that they no longer work due to the change in the address of the connected USB drive.  In my case when inspecting the original *.m3u file in MS Notepad the prefix for each listed file was as follows:

USB1/Artist/Album/Track

The prefix (in my case only) is now:

USB/MUSIC_HD_4650D73D50D73283/Artist/Album/Track

This is because the disk mount address has been changed to "USB_file system name_UUID".

To fix my playlists I added a new track to an existing playlist in Soundirok and then opened that *.m3u file in MS Notepad and looked at the new prefix assigned.  I copied the new prefix and then opened each *.m3u playlist file in MS Notepad and did a find and replace of "USB1/" with "USB/MUSIC_HD_4650D73D50D73283/".  A bit of a pain if you have a lot of different playlists like me but easy enough.

Thankfully everything is now working fine including my playlists so I'm a happy boy!

5 hours ago, ClothEars said:

The "Kernel Check" is not always required but should be done after the update.  

As I know very little about all this stuff I am curious if you have any info why after is better, just to learn mind you.  As I did it before this update I suppose I should do it again for any effect correct, or am I good as is at the moment?  Thanks

12 minutes ago, bmoregnr said:

As I know very little about all this stuff I am curious if you have any info why after is better, just to learn mind you.  As I did it before this update I suppose I should do it again for any effect correct, or am I good as is at the moment?  Thanks

This is the official SotM reaction from May Park:
The latest kernel version is  4.18.19-214, you can do the kernel check afterwards, but actually it is not the matter when you are doing it. You can keep updating the kernel version to the latest version.

I have taken the plunge and updated the firmware and run a kernel check.

Both appear to have succeeded without problems, and the system functions.

However .... in the System Config page the eunhasu web interface version is shown as 'undefined' and the change log only refers to v0.4.7. In the Upgrade page it shows I have v0.4.81, but the change log still shows only v0.4.7.   Neither can I see the kernel version anywhere (but that might just be me not looking in the right place as usual).

Nonetheless, does anyone else have this anomaly?

3 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

You can find the updated change log link at the very bottom of your eunhasu system config page

Hi,

Thanks for that. I have looked there and I have this:

System information

Detail system informationDAC informationEunhasu Web interface version : undefinedNetwork Information

eth0 || 02:8C:0A:82:9F:9A - 192.168.xx.xx - STATIC - UP

Tag ID : eb269c4

Eunhasu information

AboutChange Log

and the change log shows

Version : V0.4.7
  - Date : 03-11-2019

even though I am on v0.4.81 - i.e.  it does not detail the changes made in this new version.

I only mentioned this because it seems to be an anomaly - and I have repeated both the upgrade and the kernel check. Perhaps the upgrade has not happened - although the System Upgrade page indicates it has.

Re SQ - I have not heard a change after the upgrade, but do think there is a difference between running LMS(remotely) with Squeezelite on the sms200, and MPD/DLNA wirh Foobar (on laptop). Bass guitars seem more pronounced and 'raspy' (think Jack Bruce) in MPD, which I rather like. Overall the output from the sms200 continues to be very enjoyable.

Any other comments on SQ ?

@5-pot-fan ... really strange...

change log information should not depend on version ....

here attached you can find what can be seen ...

I do not find any change in SQ ... and according to change log I shouldn’t...

... I think could be a good idea to flash again the sd card with the 4.7 version and retry the update

here the link to eunhasu guide to burn the sd card

http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image

at the bottom of the page you’ll find the link to download ver 4.7

494313AA-BBDE-4CB2-B09B-BF978B1B4D7A.png

Stefano

My audio system

2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

I do not find any change in SQ ... and according to change log I shouldn’t...

I do hear a difference, but only because I have a stable reference. My DAC/Preamp has a CD tray, my sms-200, with outboard LPS, is connected to the DAC via USB. Streamer and CD digits go through the same DAC, preamp and PSU. Before the last firmware update, there was a slight difference in transparency in favour of CD, bass was a bit more controlled via the streamer. Since the update, I can hear no difference in transparency. The very slight fog has lifted.

In the description above, I've tried to emphasize that the difference is very subtle. I doubt I could reliably tell which device was playing before the update, and even less chance now. However, for the first time ever, I consider streaming from my NAS to be my best source. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

On 4/3/2020 at 10:31 PM, 5-pot-fan said:

I have taken the plunge and updated the firmware and run a kernel check.

Both appear to have succeeded without problems, and the system functions.

However .... in the System Config page the eunhasu web interface version is shown as 'undefined' and the change log only refers to v0.4.7. In the Upgrade page it shows I have v0.4.81, but the change log still shows only v0.4.7.   Neither can I see the kernel version anywhere (but that might just be me not looking in the right place as usual).

Nonetheless, does anyone else have this anomaly?

Fear not 5-pot-fan, you are running version 4.81 as the update page indicates.

You are correct in that the Eunhasu version shows "undefined" but I'm sure that's just a glitch with the update.

If you want to find your kernel version (and other useful info) select "Detailed system information" at the bottom of the "System config" page and another page will open in your browser with the information.

The updated kernel version is 4.18.19-215.fc27.armv7hl (SMP) armv7l.