IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

On 10/14/2023 at 10:41 PM, audiobomber said:

I've moved the sMS-200 to my desktop system, where it feeds a Modius DAC. The Modius cannot play DSD files. Is there any way to transcode DSD to PCM on the fly with Eunhasu? 

Bubbleupnp Server on the sms-200 might do that for you. 

6 hours ago, jaaptina said:

I use Minimserver with BubbleUPnP, but I will check it out.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

7 hours ago, ClothEars said:

I use MPD and select the DoP setting.  Works a treat.   😃

That is what I've been using, also tried Disable DSD. Both cause stuttering when I send DSD files to the Schiit Mobius DAC.

18 hours ago, jaaptina said:

I run my system with MinimServer installed on my NAS, MPD/DLNA active on the sMS-200 and BubbleUPnP on my phone. Today I installed BubbleUPnP on the sMS-200, but it didn't seem to do change anything as far as I can tell. 

I don't strictly need to play DSD files through the sMS-200, as I can bypass the sMS and play to the Modius via S/PDIF in the same desktop system, but it's annoying to me that the Raspberry Pi in another system is able to play DSD files, to a Schiit Modi 3.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

15 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Schiit Modi 3

15 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Schiit Mobius DAC

None of these dac can play DSD (native or DoP) according to their specs

16 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Raspberry Pi in another system is able to play DSD files, to a Schiit Modi 3

What player do you run on the Pi? It must downsample DSD to PCM …

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, stefano_mbp said:

None of these dac can play DSD (native or DoP) according to their specs

What player do you run on the Pi? It must downsample DSD to PCM …

I know Schiit DAC's cannot play native DSD. But they will play converted DSD files if the end point does the conversion. My other end points convert (Windows, Volumio, Chromecast). The sMS does not, all I get so far is stuttering.

5 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I know Schiit DAC's cannot play native DSD. But they will play converted DSD files if the end point does the conversion. My other end points convert (Windows, Volumio, Chromecast). The sMS does not, all I get so far is stuttering.

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

Today I installed BubbleUPnP on the sMS-200, but it didn't seem to do change anything as far as I can tell.

Once Bubbleupnpserver is installed and running on SOtM sms200 you need to configure it using its configuration web page that can be accessed by any browser using the url

http://SOtM-ip-address:58050

then go to the Media Renderers tab, select the one you want to configure 

IMG_2781.thumb.jpeg.d496f9c8931b65c78aacf5ff1a38cf34.jpeg

Give the Room name a different name than the original one.

In the control point you can select now the renderer/Room you’ve just configured.

I’ve never used Audio decoding but it should work …

Stefano

My audio system

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

New 0.5.51 eunhasu firmware is out

Thanks Stefano. 

- Add 'CPU frequency' selector

What will that do?
- Add 'Set Max volume' button

Great feature! 

May from SOtM described here the new functionalities 

I use a NAS and sMS-200, so it appears the new CPU speed and max volume settings are not available to me.

1 minute ago, stefano_mbp said:

I haven’t touched that setting yet … so it is still with its default value (Performance)

Same for me but since the update the user interface seems to be more reactive so I wonder if the default speed of this new firmware (performance by default) is the same speed as default previous firmware 

I noticed that there is a newer version of NAA in the firmware now. Previously, I was version 4.4.0 so I uninstalled NAA and reinstalled and it was now at version 4.5.0.

HQ Player's company, Signalyst has version 4.6.0 as the current NAA version.

Whatever, I'm hearing some great sound from my setup. Is it better? Is it different? Who knows? It sounds good. Aural memory is very very short.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3

They are definitely there … in System Setup/Settings

this screenshot is from my sMS200 Neo

IMG_2947.jpeg

I have them, but in the link you posted, May said they were not for the sMS-200, just for a PC. Was that only for the Beta test?

I clicked on the max level setting but there is nothing there.

3 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I have them, but in the link you posted, May said they were not for the sMS-200, just for a PC. Was that only for the Beta test?

I clicked on the max level setting but there is nothing there.

In the CPU frequency the Turbo Boost option appear only on pc based on  smq-q370 or sms-1000SQ while other options are there for every model

IMG_2949.jpeg.064b7a0c050d303cc680971dd86d6b30.jpegIMG_2950.jpeg.9dac9f58c3a38f10e431d5d6f7d8baf7.jpeg

Max level setting doesn’t have any selection, it just set the Alsa mixer volume to 100% (it happened in some setups that the Alsa mixer volume for some reason was not at 100% as it should)

Stefano

My audio system

• 3 weeks later...

I am using a SOtM sMS-200ultra Neo in my headfi-set up (MacBook Pro, SOtM, Mutec MC3, Morpheus, Audirvana and JRiver). Last week during a listening session, the music stopped. Reboot did not help. Eunhasu is not visible anymore in Safari, the SOtM does not show up in Audirvana (but the Samba share shows up in Finder). I have tried a new image (also on a new sd-cart). But that does not solve the problem. Someone an idea what is wrong?