IGNORED

Acoustic treatment for behind seating position

First of all, my apologies if this has been covered before but in my searching of older threads I could not find much information pertaining to my specific situation...its possible I just missed it.

I have a long rectilinear room (24 feet x 12 feet) and have my system setup in the middle of the long wall, its the only way it will work in my room. As a result my seating position is pushed up against the opposite long wall. The sound stage is ok but not great. If I sit at the very edge of my couch, or sit in a chair directly in front of my couch the sound stage opens up and sounds phenomenal.

What kind of a wall acoustic treatment should I consider placing behind the couch to help open the soundstage when sitting back in my couch?

I should also note that changing the distance between the speakers does not improve the soundstage, which has led me to the conclusion that its is the proximity to the wall behind my couch and the associated reflections that are effecting the soundstage. Although I could be wrong with this conclusion as well.

In my studio I have made circa 3 inch deep wood frames with photos printed on thin canvas, stapled around the back of the frame(s)... the frame is then filled with rockwool / fibreglass and a sheet is stapled to the back to prevent fibre leakage.

This makes a more picturesque way to treat walls. The more of the wall you treat the better the damping will be (deeper frames also = better damping), make sure the canvas isn't too thick or it will still reflect HF.

... or you can buy (less attractive) acoustic panels, but a lounge shouldn't look like a control room.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

There is a lot of information to explore here...

RealTraps - Home

The products are very effective and look fairly good. If you call Jim at RealTraps, he can give you specific advice for your situation. Be warned, their products can be addictive.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

First of all, my apologies if this has been covered before but in my searching of older threads I could not find much information pertaining to my specific situation...its possible I just missed it.

I have a long rectilinear room (24 feet x 12 feet) and have my system setup in the middle of the long wall, its the only way it will work in my room. As a result my seating position is pushed up against the opposite long wall. The sound stage is ok but not great. If I sit at the very edge of my couch, or sit in a chair directly in front of my couch the sound stage opens up and sounds phenomenal.

What kind of a wall acoustic treatment should I consider placing behind the couch to help open the soundstage when sitting back in my couch?

It depends a lot of your speakers radiation pattern and building materials in your listening room, but as a rule of thumb:

A combination of hard and medium and soft wood is even better, if we are talking about wood, but the same with other materials:

Say side walls are hard wood, behind speaker wall is medium and behind listener is soft. Ceiling in pattern of wood coving. Use a real wool rug to partial cover plastic wood floor as tuning.

Roch

What you need to do is prevent that back wall from being a mirror. There are two options, absorb the sound, or diffuse it. I personally prefer the diffuse option. You can buy some very nice diffusers from the "traps" people, but you will spend a lot, or you can do it yourself, and spend very little and be a lot more involved in the process.

For doing it yourself you want to transform that flat wall into something that is irregular so sound bounces all over the place. A really easy way to do this is put a BIG bookcase behind you and fill it up with all kinds of different things. Art objects, figurines, bowls, vases, flower arrangements, even books, just don't line up the spines, have them at different depths from the wall. Its a great place for CD collections, just make sure that you have irregular patterns of depths. You are trying to create an irregular surface.

Be warned that if you like bass heavy music you may need to put the objects on a mat or something so they don't rattle on the shelf!

One nice thing about this type of diffusor is that you can tune it to get different results by adjusting how much stuff you have on it etc. And it doesn't LOOK like an industrial acoustic diffusor!

John S.

I typically prefer diffusion behind the listener, but diffusers only tend to work well if there is sufficient distance between the listening position and the diffusion product. The lower the frequency the diffuser is designed for, the further you'll need to be from it to get its benefits and avoid potential comb filtering. Based on your post, it sounds like you have little to no room behind you. If there's no way you can get your listening position from the back wall at least 3ft or so, then absorption might be your only viable choice.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

All excellent advice so far. I might add to check speaker placement in relation to your listening position. If you have not already. Equilateral Triangle. Tweeters at ear level. In my studio I have a wooden diffusor sitting on top of a wide bookshelf. Works brilliantly.

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1445304993.895042.jpg

This pic is from the realtraps website, it looks exactly what I was explaining (did in my studio)... you could do this yourself for peanuts.

:-)

cust_kelly.jpg

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I used rectangular bass traps (GIK 244 panels) in a similar situation and it made a huge improvement. Before the panels, I could literally hear the echo coming off the wall behind me. After, it is gone. 2-3 panels aren't very expensive.

I suggest you write RealTraps or GIK and request a recommendation for your situation. They have pros that can give you the best advice in what to do.

BTW, GIK just came out with this: 4A Alpha Panel Diffusor / Absorber

which is both a diffusor and an absorber. Looks decent, too. I haven't used it, just mentioning it b/c I think it is interesting.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I am thinking about buying a GIK room kit 4 with two extra 242 panels.

I would like to hang 4 panels on the ceiling at the first reflection point, and 2 on each wall at the first reflection point. One tri-trap in each corner behind the speakers and maybe 2 at the opposite corner.

My living room is 4*6.5meter

My goal would be to dampen early reflections and to lower overall RT60 as well as some bass dampening

[br]

I am thinking about buying a GIK room kit 4 with two extra 242 panels.

I would like to hang 4 panels on the ceiling at the first reflection point, and 2 on each wall at the first reflection point. One tri-trap in each corner behind the speakers and maybe 2 at the opposite corner.

My living room is 4*6.5meter

My goal would be to dampen early reflections and to lower overall RT60 as well as some bass dampening

I did something similar. Again, I'd encourage people thinking of installing panels to get in touch with a couple of the companies and getting advice/price quotes.

When I worked wth GIK, I sent them room measurements and photos. I asked fro 3 recommendations:

minimal: just taming bass

medium: add in first reflection points

extensive: full room acoustics solution

They gave me the info I asked for, and I ended up buying the medium solution. No hard sell or pressure from them.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

I did something similar. Again, I'd encourage people thinking of installing panels to get in touch with a couple of the companies and getting advice/price quotes.

When I worked wth GIK, I sent them room measurements and photos. I asked fro 3 recommendations:

minimal: just taming bass

medium: add in first reflection points

extensive: full room acoustics solution

They gave me the info I asked for, and I ended up buying the medium solution. No hard sell or pressure from them.

I would second firedog. I also contacted GIK and was happy with the advice and the service. Given that you are on the long wall, first reflection from side wall may not be a problem.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

I used rectangular bass traps (GIK 244 panels) in a similar situation and it made a huge improvement. Before the panels, I could literally hear the echo coming off the wall behind me. After, it is gone. 2-3 panels aren't very expensive.

I suggest you write RealTraps or GIK and request a recommendation for your situation. They have pros that can give you the best advice in what to do.

BTW, GIK just came out with this: 4A Alpha Panel Diffusor / Absorber

which is both a diffusor and an absorber. Looks decent, too. I haven't used it, just mentioning it b/c I think it is interesting.

This looks like just the thing for my new listening room - attractive, not too expensive, hopefully effective. Thanks.

Some of the companies will custom print photos/artwork to panel(s). It costs more, but then you get "artwork" of your choice to hang on the wall that just happens to also be an acoustic panel.