IGNORED

Acoustic treatment for behind seating position

• 2 years later...

Main Issue: "my seating position is pushed up against the opposite long wall"

John S. gave the OP good advice depending on how much space he has, and budget

an absorber might take up less space than a diffuser - and the former can be easily made at home for cheap; DIYing a QRD diffuser is more involved and will take some depth too

you can call/Email GIK for a lot of help (send them pics & a diagram)

reading thru the Master Handbook of Acoustics will be invaluable 

Lateral Reflections percieved as echos or inaudible or spaciousness.jpeg

Reverb Time & Absorption - room example.jpg

I have a simple fix for this in my home office, and to my ears it made a significant improvement.  I hung a rug on the wall behind me.  Now I suppose someone will come along and claim it matters which material the rug is made from, and how it was made, but who knows.  I have one of those big hand woven wool ones (the store said so anyway) that I bought at a huge discount, and it works.

edit:  I don't have any fancy graphs like @Ralf11 though.

No electron left behind.

Actually, don’t rugs have acoustic ratings?

I wish the room treatment formula was simpler. People both overestimate the importance of treatment and don’t do enough of it. The harsh reality is that room size and geometry trumps everything else. The difficult thing is trying to transform a “just large enough” room into a high end audio chamber.

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have a simple fix for this in my home office, and to my ears it made a significant improvement.  I hung a rug on the wall behind me.  Now I suppose someone will come along and claim it matters which material the rug is made from, and how it was made, but who knows.  I have one of those big hand woven wool ones (the store said so anyway) that I bought at a huge discount, and it works.

edit:  I don't have any fancy graphs like @Ralf11 though.

the important things are whether the rug is organic, was the wool sustainably harvested by a metrosexual communal affiliation group, was the sheep named Ernie and did he have a happy life, etc.

29 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

the important things are whether the rug is organic, was the wool sustainably harvested by a metrosexual communal affiliation group, was the sheep named Ernie and did he have a happy life, etc.

Of course, how could I forget those important variables.

No electron left behind.