IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

I'd be interested in hearing impressions of the performance of the Brooklyn as a preamp (not phono preamp). The preamp on the 192 is only okay, and is it's weakest feature, IMO. A better preamp section would go a long way towards making the Brooklyn a true audiophile bargain.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@Totsipaki Do you hear a huge difference between the iDSD micro and the Brooklyn ? As I am looking for a somewhat portable DAC/AMP to listen to on HEADPHONE meanly (Audeze LCD3F)

I am an audio engineer looking for versatility, is there a possibility to change those phono preamp into normal 1/4 JACK input/output ?

@Totsipaki Do you hear a huge difference between the iDSD micro and the Brooklyn ? As I am looking for a somewhat portable DAC/AMP to listen to on HEADPHONE meanly (Audeze LCD3F)

I am an audio engineer looking for versatility, is there a possibility to change those phono preamp into normal 1/4 JACK input/output ?

1)Yes the difference is huge

2)Yes you can choose between preamp/phono mc/phono mm from the Brooklyn's menu

1)Yes the difference is huge

2)Yes you can choose between preamp/phono mc/phono mm from the Brooklyn's menu

Great, so I can do some recording (eg: record an electric guitar straight up to the Brooklyn jack input into my protools)

Unfortunately they didn't seem to add a LUFS (Loudness Unit) meter on the display...

Great, so I can do some recording (eg: record an electric guitar straight up to the Brooklyn jack input into my protools)

Unfortunately they didn't seem to add a LUFS (Loudness Unit) meter on the display...

Note that Mytek are preparing an adc unit to combine with the brooklyn that will be able to record an dsd as well as all pcm formats and also to MQA.

I do not know anymore details though because Iam not interested in such functions but though you would find the information intriguing.

Sound quality aside, let's focus on the important matter here.... just how does that front panel/faceplate/fascia look in real life? :-)

I have to say the pictures online don't really tempt me much. I like the digital display, but the faceplate I'm not so sure of - it seems a bit "bling" for a high-end product. Any thoughts?

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Hi Pad_Boll,

Brooklyn does not include an analog-digital converter. So you can't record your guitar with it. It includes a digital bypass mode though, it passes all the digital info to the computer through USB. If you somehow digitize your guitar and feed to Brooklyn from one of its digital inputs, you can then use Brooklyn to get to ProTools.

Regards

don't dismiss the opinion of the industry... Yes I auditioned the Manhattan and Yes i heard the Brooklyn.. I had a open mind going into this process and drooling over this Brooklyn Dac will not make this a reference product ever nor the Manhattan which nobody seems to care... And yes over the past 3 years "top audiophile unbiased people" too many to count that never had any strong opinion on the Manhattan. The Brooklyn is just a poor mans Manhattan! Good Luck justifying your Brooklyn purchase and enjoy!

No, you can't record anything, as this is a DAC, not an ADC.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Would love to compare the Brooklyn head to head with the Ayre Codex and other sub-2k DAC/Amps, but the days of finding retailers to audition these things is long gone.

My baseline is the Benchmark DAC1 HDR.

Guess I'll have to buy both with a 30- or 60-day return policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

My baseline is the Benchmark DAC1 HDR.

I think even the Mytek 192 DSD would be a huge step up from your DAC. I twice had my friend's DAC1 in my system. It never lasted longer more than a few songs. I've had the Mytek 192 DSD in my system for over 3 years.

Guess I'll have to buy both with a 30- or 60-day return policy.

A good way to go. I think you'll be thrilled with either.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Would love to compare the Brooklyn head to head with the Ayre Codex and other sub-2k DAC/Amps

I was also very interested in the Codex after Audiostream's glowing review, but seem it does not support USB HID volume control, which highly limits its usefulness to me, especially as it doesn't have a physical remote.

I've still yet to confirm if the Brooklyn supports USB HID volume control or not, have emailed Mytek but waiting for a response.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Anyone any experience with MQA source material? I have, my first MQA download from L2 (Carl Nielsen Piano music). It plays fine, but no sign of MQA on screen. I expected some recognition of some sort.

Marc (quite new here, but working with computers since 1980)

Slightly OT: what is USB HID volume control and which dacs support it today?

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Anyone any experience with MQA source material? I have, my first MQA download from L2 (Carl Nielsen Piano music). It plays fine, but no sign of MQA on screen. I expected some recognition of some sort.

Marc (quite new here, but working with computers since 1980)

all MQA hardware will have an indicator illuminated when playing an MQA track.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Slightly OT: what is USB HID volume control and which dacs support it today?

The computer is able to communicate with the DAC over USB to instruct it to vary its own volume control. So when you increase the volume on the computer, it doesn't actually change what it outputs to the DAC, but tells the DAC to increase its own volume.

Note that this is different, and better, than the computer varying the volume that it itself outputs. To simplify, think of it as a remote control of the DAC's volume control the same as with a physical remote control, just operating over USB instead of infrared.

Thanks. I have asked 2L about their opinion. To MQA, or not to MQA, that is the question. ;-)

I bought the same album from 2L and asked the same question. I think (hope) there must be a firmware upgrade coming to activate MQA. I have asked Mytek but not yet had a reply.

And yes over the past 3 years "top audiophile unbiased people" too many to count that never had any strong opinion on the Manhattan.

Would be quite extraordinary if these audiophile geniuses, unbiased as they are, had developed strong opinions of the Manhattan over three years...the product was introduced to the market a little more than a year ago?

FWIW, my view is that the top audiophile industry folks are commercially involved people...they sell, market, produce, promote high end (meaning high cost) products...audio stuff in fancy boxes with huge mark ups to buyers who want to say they own the best = most expensive.

Mytek's pro audio, studio background and distribution chains through pro audio dealers at reasonable prices with extremely high utility products and no need for extra boxes, like USB converters, preamps...threatens the "audio jewelry" sellers who would get excited / have strong opinions of highly-reviewed, high-priced products like for example the Berkeley Audio DACs requiring USB converters and do not offer DSD conversion (bet they sound great), the reference DAC + USB converter sells for like $18K...I'd want to sell those in my bricks and mortar store versus the DSD192 or the Brooklyn.

Tone with Soul

I bought the same album from 2L and asked the same question. I think (hope) there must be a firmware upgrade coming to activate MQA. I have asked Mytek but not yet had a reply.

As I'm curious about MQA I bought a Meridian Explorer² also. This USB dac sits at my pc and doesn't show a green or blue led when playing tracks from this album.

I don't hope for a firmware upgrade, because I can't apply it with my Linux environment. At least not now. I asked Mytek about that, a Linux version of their Control software is on their to do list.

Marc