IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Nope it doesn't responds to the OS X volume control.

Oh wow, that's a real downside. I'd find it hard to live without that. Have you by chance tried with something like Audirvana? Are you using the latest firmware that Totsipaki upgraded to?

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Oh wow, that's a real downside. I'd find it hard to live without that. Have you by chance tried with something like Audirvana? Are you using the latest firmware that Totsipaki upgraded to?

Sure it's the latest firmware, as I already posted in my previous posts.

It dose not have anything to do with player software, it's a firmware issue or faulty hardware. To be sure, I've been testing with different player software too.

Sure it's the latest firmware, as I already posted in my previous posts.

It dose not have anything to do with player software, it's a firmware issue or faulty hardware. To be sure, I've been testing with different player software too.

workaround is to change from XLR to HP back to XLR, than it works as designed.

Overall how is the Brooklyn DAC performing after the first firmware update?

How is the sound quality compared to the 192 and/or other DAC's you have used?

What are the current/ existing problems that still exist after first firmware update?

Despite the early problems that will hopefully all get ironed out via firmware updates, would you recommend the Brooklyn DAC to someone or would you recommend they purchase another DAC within the same general price range?

Are you saying USB HID volume control is working OK from OSX after you do the workaround? If so that's promising as it would imply the functionality is actually there in the device, it's just a firmware bug.....

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

How is the sound quality compared to the 192 and/or other DAC's you have used?

It performs much better after the update. I can only compare with a Denon DA-10, but it's much clearer, more in time, got a more punchy bass.

What are the current/ existing problems that still exist after first firmware update?

Just the volume control, if you unplug the power cord overnight. All other issues are fixed, hopefully they'll not return.

Some minor usability things, but they will fix them in the next release - Mytek promised.

Despite the early problems that will hopefully all get ironed out via firmware updates, would you recommend the Brooklyn DAC to someone or would you recommend they purchase another DAC within the same general price range?

I'm a bit concerned about the firmware issues. Good thing is you can patch it, others have to send in. It's a nice made device and has got everything I need and been looking for. Network access would be great for future proof, but you can't have it all.

No final conclusion so far. Will wait a bit more and hope every things get fixed.

Are you saying USB HID volume control is working OK from OSX after you do the workaround? If so that's promising as it would imply the functionality is actually there in the device, it's just a firmware bug.....

Nope, haven't had any external DAC that are controllable via USB HID volume control so far. (Expect the really cheap USB sticks)

It also depends how OS X levels the volume. If it cuts the data stream it's not a good idea, you'll lose important data for the DAC. It might also not work for DACs with analog volume control.

My issue is that the DAC itself doesn't react if I try to change the volume on the DAC. Just the db in the display change, but the sound level keeps the same.

How is the sound quality compared to the 192.....

Today was a holiday where I live so I had the opportunity to Invite a couple of friends home for a brief listen to the Brooklyn.

One of them has a 192 so It was a very good chance for a direct comparison between them in the same setup/room/music since I do not own mine since Late September (2015) and acoustic memory as a very unstable evidence to draw conclusions..

The direct comparison was very interesting.. I was already aware that what I was listening was better than I ever have in my system but..

Though the 192 sounded as I remembered very nice and still holding It's own sonically still being competitive in It's price range.. The Brooklyn simply blew It out of the water..

The Brooklyn is not Just better in any way.. It is a totally different-higher class sounding Dac than the 192. If somebody put the Brooklyn in a bigger flashy box and told me it costs more than twice its asking price The only thing I would regret is that could not afford it, the asking price would seem logical to me.

It was so shockingly better that the result caught us totally unprepared and It forced my friend to begin spontaneously calculating how to raise funds for the Brooklyn even though he still loves his 192 which sounded excellently..

Now I am quite certain that with the Brooklyn Mytek left nothing to chance. They carefully studied the competition out there and used their know how to create a dac that makes the reference for at least up to 4k competitors devices, throwing another bomb to the market that will evidently reset performance for It's price range like It's predecessor did 5 years ago...

Very Briefly and ..crudely.. compared to the 192 the Brooklyn sounded

-Far more transparent and realistic, an uncanny upgrade there to the already very very transparent 192.

-Far more natural and balanced with a nice silky smooth touch to it's very natural and musical timbre through out the audible spectrum

-The treble of the Brooklyn has nothing to do with the 192's It is now totally smooth sweet and uncannily rich airy and textured.

-Though It exposes every nuance of the recordings It is impossible to make It sound fatiguing it can play Form Stravinsky to Slayer and from contemporary Jazz to 90's crap electronica and always make you enjoy it something that was not always so with the 192.

-It's Bass though it has the same power and depth of the allready legendary 192 in this sector is now incredibly more layered textured and refined

-Same goes for dynamic range which though it maintains that same incredible level of flexibility and power with the 192 it is now performed in an even more maneuverable and layered manner.

-The very impressive 3D layering of the 192 is totally outclassed by the Brooklyn which presents a sense of space, focus and depth of a totally different class redefining what I could guess is possible in this class of devices..

I guess I am so shocked and pleased by the revelation the parallel direct comparison of the Two Dacs was to me that I could go on forever but I will stop right here trying my self to realize how good the Brooklyn is compared to the 192 I reluctantly sold in September but now am so very happy i did..

I hope this somehow amateur and crude comparison gives some light to anybody wondering about It. And now I am even more curious to read official reviews and what they will describe about Brooklyn's Sq.

The Brooklyn has significantly exceeded all my expectations and is so good it made me completely forget of my initial somehow troublesome acquaintance with It. Now I am simply happily Immersed in musical pleasure.

Reality Check: Auralic Vega blows away the Mytek Brooklyn

Have you actually listened to both? Because if you have then a detailed comparison might actually be useful.

That said the Vega is significantly more expensive and has no analogue input.

The reasons I only compared the Brooklyn to the 192 are two.

First I only had these both to directly compare them in the system I know and love.

Second all opinions on such high quality devices can be very subjective to stetup setting and personal taste.

For the second reason i avoided to get sentimental at least in my comparisons as much as I could.

You see I have had many chances to listen to the Vega in show rooms and exhibtitions and though It always sounded very very good It never impressed me with It's performance for It's asking price. In fact I have always returned to my 192 happily relieved by temptation.

Of course that is no guarantee that the Vega is not really that much in reality, it is just an indication and then again I never heard it in my own system and of course It is just good old me with my personal preferences and tastes..

Nope, haven't had any external DAC that are controllable via USB HID volume control so far. (Expect the really cheap USB sticks)

My Audiolab MDAC does. It's the only DAC I've had so far so thought this was something pretty standard.

It also depends how OS X levels the volume. If it cuts the data stream it's not a good idea, you'll lose important data for the DAC. It might also not work for DACs with analog volume control.

That's not my understanding of how USB HID volume control works. OSX doesn't actually vary its volume at all, or throw away any bits. OSX outputs full volume all the time, and merely sends instructions over USB telling the DAC to change its own volume control, and the DAC repsonds to those instructions by doing so. Essentially just a remote control over USB, the processing would be identical to if you turned the DAC's volume knob.

I'm also interested in the technology of the Brooklyn. What makes the Brooklyn so different to other DACs?

If I compere some higher class DACs and competitors they are putting much more effort in electronic details.

A big question mark is also the analog part. There are so less electronic parts in this section. Do they path the analog signal completely to the digital section?

Why have they picked a switching PSU?

Any electronic geeks here?

The Brooklyn has significantly exceeded all my expectations and is so good it made me completely forget of my initial somehow troublesome acquaintance with It. Now I am simply happily Immersed in musical pleasure.

Very nice report Totsipaki. And very helpful too. Thanks for taking the time.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Reality Check: Auralic Vega blows away the Mytek Brooklyn

That's quite a bold statement, I take it you have done side by side comparisons?

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

My Audiolab MDAC does. It's the only DAC I've had so far so thought this was something pretty standard.

That's not my understanding of how USB HID volume control works. OSX doesn't actually vary its volume at all, or throw away any bits. OSX outputs full volume all the time, and merely sends instructions over USB telling the DAC to change its own volume control, and the DAC repsonds to those instructions by doing so. Essentially just a remote control over USB, the processing would be identical to if you turned the DAC's volume knob.

All right, I'm not that much in this business. If that works on the Audiolab MDAC they made good work on the OS X implementation, or using different USB interfaces that gives the option to do it.

I'm not concerned to have this feature or not.

Today was a holiday where I live so I had the opportunity to Invite a couple of friends home for a brief listen to the Brooklyn.

One of them has a 192 so It was a very good chance for a direct comparison between them in the same setup/room/music since I do not own mine since Late September (2015) and acoustic memory as a very unstable evidence to draw conclusions..

The direct comparison was very interesting.. I was already aware that what I was listening was better than I ever have in my system but..

Though the 192 sounded as I remembered very nice and still holding It's own sonically still being competitive in It's price range.. The Brooklyn simply blew It out of the water..

The Brooklyn is not Just better in any way.. It is a totally different-higher class sounding Dac than the 192. If somebody put the Brooklyn in a bigger flashy box and told me it costs more than twice its asking price The only thing I would regret is that could not afford it, the asking price would seem logical to me.

It was so shockingly better that the result caught us totally unprepared and It forced my friend to begin spontaneously calculating how to raise funds for the Brooklyn even though he still loves his 192 which sounded excellently..

Now I am quite certain that with the Brooklyn Mytek left nothing to chance. They carefully studied the competition out there and used their know how to create a dac that makes the reference for at least up to 4k competitors devices, throwing another bomb to the market that will evidently reset performance for It's price range like It's predecessor did 5 years ago...

Very Briefly and ..crudely.. compared to the 192 the Brooklyn sounded

-Far more transparent and realistic, an uncanny upgrade there to the already very very transparent 192.

-Far more natural and balanced with a nice silky smooth touch to it's very natural and musical timbre through out the audible spectrum

-The treble of the Brooklyn has nothing to do with the 192's It is now totally smooth sweet and uncannily rich airy and textured.

-Though It exposes every nuance of the recordings It is impossible to make It sound fatiguing it can play Form Stravinsky to Slayer and from contemporary Jazz to 90's crap electronica and always make you enjoy it something that was not always so with the 192.

-It's Bass though it has the same power and depth of the allready legendary 192 in this sector is now incredibly more layered textured and refined

-Same goes for dynamic range which though it maintains that same incredible level of flexibility and power with the 192 it is now performed in an even more maneuverable and layered manner.

-The very impressive 3D layering of the 192 is totally outclassed by the Brooklyn which presents a sense of space, focus and depth of a totally different class redefining what I could guess is possible in this class of devices..

I guess I am so shocked and pleased by the revelation the parallel direct comparison of the Two Dacs was to me that I could go on forever but I will stop right here trying my self to realize how good the Brooklyn is compared to the 192 I reluctantly sold in September but now am so very happy i did..

I hope this somehow amateur and crude comparison gives some light to anybody wondering about It. And now I am even more curious to read official reviews and what they will describe about Brooklyn's Sq.

Hello ,

i am the mytek 192 owner who had the chance to audition Totsipaki's brooklyn at his home, and I can roughly confirm my friend's findings. For me , Brooklyn now sits at the same place as mytek 192 four years ago , being very competitive to much more expensive devices for its time.

In a few words ,Brooklyn not only maintains its older "brother's" gifts , but upgrades them in every aspect , while sounding far more balanced and musical. Some of these "upgrades" :

- Bass has great precision like the 192 , but its stronger and feels more organic. It may be a tad warmer too.

- Mid range /vocals have a whole new feeling now , realistic , rich with a fluid "body" (not warm or bloated)

- In Stravinsky 's Rite of Spring - Introduction , (low level recorded wind instruments) , brooklyn blew the 192 out of the water. Despite the low recording level , i had a complete imaging of the instruments texture and placing in the orchestra while with 192 i could only hear some "random" winds playing...

- Brooklyn certainly belongs to the "garbage in - garbage out" devices , but without bleeding your ears this time...

Keep in mind that Totsipaki has a great sound system to easily evaluate those findings.

- Brooklyn certainly belongs to the "garbage in - garbage out" devices , but without bleeding your ears this time...

Without disagreeing to any of your comments I totally concur to the one I have quoted.

Thanks for sharing your own thoughts.

See you soon.

The Auralic Vega is a Reference Digital Audio "Processor" which the Mytek Brooklyn will never compare to as a "reference" piece of equipment. Not even the more expensive Manhattan is considered a "reference" device. I recently made this purchase after too many stellar reviews and speaking with top audiophile unbiased people for many months. No brainer. Save your money and buy the Vega.

The Auralic Vega is a Reference Digital Audio "Processor" which the Mytek Brooklyn will never compare to as a "reference" piece of equipment. Not even the more expensive Manhattan is considered a "reference" device. I recently made this purchase after too many stellar reviews and speaking with top audiophile unbiased people for many months. No brainer. Save your money and buy the Vega.

So have you even heard the Brooklyn or not? It seems not....

Troll.

I just talked to a dealer who sells numerous high-end DACs, including the Manhattan. He says not only is the Manhattan a reference level player, but that it is as good as several DACs selling for double it's price-that he sells. I'm betting he has a better idea than you about DACs.

The Vega is a good DAC. Everyone is glad you like it. Why don't you go over to the Vega thread and post endlessly about how great it is instead of trashing this thread.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)