IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Something wonderful and most reassuring happened to me about an hour ago..

I had a personal call at home from a most polite Mr Hamella who after apologising and telling me that I was right in my observations and evaluations on the device tried to explain to me in technical terms (that i must admit I did not understand very much) what went wrong in their writing the firmware at the very last moment and that they did not have the time to notice it in all the fuss to ship the first units within the holidays.

He told me that he is sending me the firmware update and that everything will function properly including the remote that some people mentioned here.

I consider the case closed and have confirmed at least to my self that trusting a serious company was the right thing to do and for sure only a serious company would take care of their customers being satisfied.

I am now eagerly waiting for the review from computer audiophile since after all the fuss I wouldn't dare say more. I Just hope that what I read successfully describes the glorious sound i am listening to as I am writing these lines.

Thanks for all your patience and sorry for all the fuss..

Thanks for the update.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Something wonderful and most reassuring happened to me about an hour ago..

I had a personal call at home from a most polite Mr Hamella who after apologising and telling me that I was right in my observations and evaluations on the device tried to explain to me in technical terms (that i must admit I did not understand very much) what went wrong in their writing the firmware at the very last moment and that they did not have the time to notice it in all the fuss to ship the first units within the holidays.

He told me that he is sending me the firmware update and that everything will function properly including the remote that some people mentioned here.

I consider the case closed and have confirmed at least to my self that trusting a serious company was the right thing to do and for sure only a serious company would take care of their customers being satisfied.

I am now eagerly waiting for the review from computer audiophile since after all the fuss I wouldn't dare say more. I Just hope that what I read successfully describes the glorious sound i am listening to as I am writing these lines.

Thanks for all your patience and sorry for all the fuss..

Good news.

I received a response to my ticket too.

A new firmware has been released (1.35) and the MytekControl is available for OS X too.

The following has been fix (just did a quick test)

- Remote (you have to pick NEC for the Apple Remote and sync it)

- MytekControl (just tested the new OS X version)

- Volume control (works like a charm now)

- TOSLINK is now stable too

I'll do some more investigation now, but with a much better feeling and can set my focus to the sound quality ;)

It looks like you've got the Dac working as it should be thanks to the firmware upgrade, I'd be interested to read what you make of the inbuilt pre amp in this Dac when connected directly to a power amp

Thanks in advance

Lee

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

I am too pleased to confirm that after the firmware update everything works as it should.

Sounds like a happy ending and some impressive customer service reaction from Mytek. Will be very interested to hear your impressions once you've had a chance to listen to it well.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

Sounds like a happy ending and some impressive customer service reaction from Mytek. Will be very interested to hear your impressions once you've had a chance to listen to it well.

Let me catch my breath first.. ..And read the official Computer Audiophile review..

I have to admit that Mytek proved to have the fastest and most effective and Impressive consumer after sales support i have ever experienced.

Thank Goodness..

By the way.. yes it does sound Amazing Accurate and Rich as they have advertised..

I am too pleased to confirm that after the firmware update everything works as it should.

Hello Totsipaki

I'm glad this got resolved. It appears that you have gotten one of the first units since we started shipping two weeks ago. After we already shipped a few, a timing bug was discovered that would sometimes make the unit boot erroneously. You must have experienced just that. This was since fixed and as you confirm.

The new firmware revs are coming out fairly quickly, and there might be another one soon as we react to initial user feedback in terms of functionality and also ergonomics of the front panel control. This DAC has a very flexible firmware possibilities and we imagine new functionality can be added and the existing one improved quite nicely.

Firmware upload via Mytek USB Control Panel is very simple, takes about 2 mins on either Mac or PC. All customers are encouraged to check mytekdigital.com/hifi/support for any new updates and install these before making a final judgement. Also, like with any new piece of audio gear a few days of break in will result in smoother more musical sound.

Any comments and suggestions should be sent via support ticketing system

It's very important to me, as the DAC chief designer that initial reactions to Brooklyn sound quality are very positive. There is a newer Sabre 9018 chip in there, Femtoclock and beefed up power supply capacity which give it an edge over the previous Mytek Stereo-192-dsd-dac. I'll be curious about perceptions of the phono preamp. My benchmarks during the design were few sub $3K preamps such as Avid or Moon Audio etc. and I consider Mytek preamp to be at least as good sonically or in other words $3K value built into this DAC.

I'm now in Las Vegas, setting up for the CES 2016 at the MQA LTD suite # 30-335 at Venetian - please visit us and experience the whole new MQA high resolution streaming world and the sound of the Brooklyn in general on good speakers (Wilson) and good headphones (Audeze ,and others).

I'll be checking this forum periodically, but if you are unable to wait, we have a phone +1 347 384 2687 (US headquarters) and +48 22 823 7238 (European office in Warsaw). Pls call either number depending on your time zone. If I may suggest, since it's a brand new product we know more about it than anybody else yet at this point.

Best Regards, Michal Jurewicz, Brooklyn Chief Designer

Dear Allen.

I think that this matter has now been resolved as you can read in the recent posts.

Of course nobody can convince you to buy something through a thread If that is what you seek.

Any way If that matters to you I who was of the first to be honest enough to express my initial scepticism lost my sleep last night not having enough of It and enjoying the best sound I have ever heard at my home system as well as from headphones enjoying full and trouble free functionality.

Trust me you are making a big mistake cancelling It. I never doubted that Mytek Would resolve the issues very quickly and effectively and they have impressed me very much not only with te speed and the quality of their support but also with the quality of the dac It self.

I reluctantly return to this part of the conversation beacuse to my regret I know that without wanting to, I have influenced you to cancel your preorder. I am also addressing this message to anyone else that might feel as you.

The Brooklyn is now flawlessly functioning and sonically out of this world!

This is the last time I write about this matter as I consider this matter as a case closed as far as I am concerned -period- ..

From now on I will only write about how much I an enjoying It after I have enough doing so..

I think that this matter has now been resolved as you can read in the recent posts.

This is the last time I write about this matter as I consider this matter as a case closed as far as I am concerned -period- ..

From now on I will only write about how much I an enjoying It after I have enough doing so..

I don't think anyone's criticizing you for what you posted. Your posts were careful and helpful and identified an issue that was quickly fixed by Mytek and showed them to care about their product and to respond quickly to customer issues - all of which is a good thing in my opinion.

I think we're all just keen to hear more in detail about the device, seeing as you are one of the few to actually have one so far and there appear to be no reviews on the internet yet, and particularly any comparisons you can make to other similar devices.... I hope to hear more from you!

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

I don't think anyone's criticizing you for what you posted. It was helpful and identified an issue that was quickly fixed by Mytek and showed them to care about their product and to respond quickly to customer issues - all of which is a good thing in my opinion.

I think we're all just keen to hear more in detail about the device, seeing as you are one of the few to actually have one so far and there appear to be no reviews on the internet yet, and particularly any comparisons you can make to other similar devices.... I hope to hear more from you!

Of course I don't feel critisezed by anyone.

So...

Allright here you go.

I will try to describe as simple as I can my yesterday experiences that made me forget my self and lose alot of sleep even though ultimately this made me feel alot better.

The Brooklyn Is definitely a Mytek Device in the manner that It is very revealing and dynamic accurate and crystal clear.

This time though something is different.

As you may allready know I have owned and loved the 192 DSD Dac forc three years and loved It, also I had a brief experience with the Manhattan which left me with the impression that It is primarily more of a 192 secondly better mut mostly and definitely very similar. Actually It sounded like Its bigger-improved Brother.

The Brooklyn is not more of a 192 at least not In quantity, It is different and in my opinion much better. It sounds as wide and as dynamic with the same strong bass. But despite being more transparent and airy (I know that owners of the 192 might wonder how that It is possible but It is, as I have discovered to my surprise) and despite that It never gets strident without cororing the sound, In an uncanny way It sounds heartwarming and surprisingly musical and even though differnces between Recordings and formats are more obvious than ever, this time It never gets aggresive no matter what you play. It is always a pleasure to listen to and when the recording or format gets better It simply easily blew me away..

I would describe It as obviously Rich, descretely warm and undoubtfully musical while maintaining all the benefits of It's predecessor not only intact but Increased.

I am not much of a Headfier.

The headphone amp is also very improved and a pleasure to listen to. It drives my AKG K272-HD easily to their tolerances and though sounding neutral and crystal clear It also sounds surprisingly musical and pleasurable and caught me by surprise once or twice making me think I was hearing ambient sounds within the room or sounds from coming from behind me something I have never experienced before with these rather unforgiving and mid range headphones.

I can only imagine the experience with a truly high performance set like the Audeze..

I hope I satisfied your curiosity with my primary impressions.

As for me I have found my digital audio companion for the next years and can't wait to listen to some ΜQA through the Brooklyn.

I'm also hoping to hear more about the differences between the Brooklyn and the Stereo 192 - but in musical terms. Descriptions like "surprisingly musical" and "undoubtfully musical" don't really tell me that much. It would really help to hear specific examples.

For example, I recently compared the Simaudio 280D to my Mytek Stereo 192. Without the MiND option, the 280D is only a couple hundred dollars more than the Brooklyn. There's a certain Daniel Lanois track I've used over the years for comparison that features Bono on backing vocals. The 280D had an uncanny way with vocals. Downright scary in terms of realism. It left no doubt that it was Bono who was singing. He wasn't nearly as recognizable with the 192. On the other hand, the 192 seemed to do a better job of bringing realism to cymbals.

Of course this is a thread about the Brooklyn. I mentioned the 280D only to provide an example of the kind of differences that would be of most interest to me when hearing how the Brooklyn compares to the Mytek Stereo 192.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Seems to me it would be a bit surprising if the Brooklyn were not significantly better than the 192. Looking at other Dac/Pre in a similar price bracket, the ones I'm interested in are Mytek Brooklyn, Benhcmark DAC2 HGC, Ayre Codex (though with less preamp functionality, and perhaps going to the secondhand market for Auralic Vega or Comet Exogal.

Dear friends.

I am no professional reviewer and I did the best I could to satisfy your Justified curiosity and anticipation. The most experience I have had In my system is with the 192 Dsd Dac from the same company and i thought It would be the most fair and valid comparison as a reference point to express what I have heard In a comprehensive way.

Of course I have heard other dacs in this price range and more expensive as well as cheaper. I was left with the Impression that at this moment the Brooklyn Defines the reference in It's price range's competition and am very curious to listen what other manufacturers will present in the future since competition is becoming very hard In this price range which has begun to flirt with reference devices "dangerously".

With all this in mind It would be unfair for other brands who also try to make their way to the market If I start comparisons with other brand's dacs with which I may have some experience but not a substantial one and which may not be to my taste even though that does not mean they are bad.

For now I will retire to enjoy my new dac which to me provided the best sound I have heard to my system (LUXMAN L 590A II integrated Amp / B&W 803S Speakers) ever.

I am no professional reviewer and I did the best I could to satisfy your Justified curiosity and anticipation. The most experience I have had In my system is with the 192 Dsd Dac from the same company and i thought It would be the most fair and valid comparison as a reference point to express what I have heard In a comprehensive way.

Your posts have been appreciated. Clearly the Brooklyn is a step up from the 192. What I'm just trying to figure out is exactly what I'd gain and if it would be a big enough of a step for me. I need more information to sort that out.

Unfortunately many professional reviewers don't even make the effort to do comparisons. They expect you to just take their word for it. I find it most helpful when reviewers back up their word with examples. Michael Lavorgna at audiostream.com is one of the best as he typically does comparisons and provides details. This allows the reader to decide what those differences might mean to them.

I mentioned the 280D in my previous post. This was a step up from the 192, but not a big enough step to justify the cost (though my opinion would be different if I didn't already have the Aries).

I'd love to hear how much better the Brooklyn does with voices than the 192 for example. Do they sound more human and how much so? And how about the reproduction of timbre? Do instruments sound much more like the real thing?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Your posts have been appreciated. Clearly the Brooklyn is a step up from the 192. What I'm just trying to figure out is exactly what I'd gain and if it would be a big enough of a step for me. I need more information to sort that out.

Unfortunately many professional reviewers don't even make the effort to do comparisons. They expect you to just take their word for it. I find it most helpful when reviewers back up their word with examples. Michael Lavorgna at audiostream.com is one of the best as he typically does comparisons and provides details. This allows the reader to decide what those differences might mean to them.

I mentioned the 280D in my previous post. This was a step up from the 192, but not a big enough step to justify the cost (though my opinion would be different if I didn't already have the Aries).

I'd love to hear how much better the Brooklyn does with voices than the 192 for example. Do they sound more human and how much so? And how about the reproduction of timbre? Do instruments sound much more like the real thing?

Why not get one on a home demo, I believe Mytek do a 30 day money back guarantee?

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

Why not get one on a home demo, I believe Mytek do a 30 day money back guarantee?

It takes time and effort to do demo this. Plus there's also the cost to ship it back if I don't like it. I'm just trying to make sure it's a good use of time and effort before requesting a demo.

I would think I could learn a ton from a current Brooklyn owner who has owned previously owned a 192 DSD. I'm in no rush so I can wait for other reports to show up. I ended up purchasing the Stereo192 DSD after reading a report here from someone who assured me that it would be a worthwhile step up from my prior DAC. He was absolutely right.

I will most likely purchase a Yggy to audition at home. But that's because I've read so many good things about it that I have a feeling it will be a good use of my time and probably even worth the cost to ship it back should it not be exactly to my liking. Also the odds are much lower of me finding a report from someone who has upgraded to the Yggy from the 192 DSD so I will have to rely on my own ears.

I suspect that you are a bit confused. If you liked your 192 then why all the fuss to try to better It In the past?

I mean the Brooklyn is a clear step up from the 192 in every way and mostly to how more luxurious, transparent and silky smooth It sounds no matter what you play (I even enjoyed Slayer and motorhead with no fatique)

You mention that you were looking to better the 192's midrange timbre somehow persistently. I mean I loved the 192's midrange timbre and found It very realistic and enjoyabl even when It was abit unforgiving. I wonder did you really like the 192?

I mean the Iggy you seem quite confident on risking to try is a totally different philosophy device, different in philosophy and I can guess quite differently sounding.

I think that you owe It to your self to relax for a while and think about what you are really after and what you really like.

Nobody In this thread I think can help you more responsibly and effectively than your self.

I suspect that you are a bit confused. If you liked your 192 why all the fuss to try to better It In the past?

Three years ago when I got the 192 it was a big step up from my previous DAC. Now three years later I'm looking to take another big step up.

You mention that you were looking to better the 192's midrange timbre somehow persistently. I mean I loved the 192's midrange timbre and found It very realistic and enjoyabl even when It was abit unforgiving. I wonder did you really like the 192?

I considered the 192 a really good value. I paid $1400 for a slightly used one in 2012. Did I find the timbre realistic? No, not at first. But it was better than the Weiss DAC it replaced, the Minerva that originally retailed for $5K.

I saw it as a nice incremental improvement for a really good price. It was flawed but I also realized that at the time I'd have to spend a lot more to get much better performance. Now three years later I know that even better performance can be achieved for the dollar. It sounds from your reports so far that the Brooklyn is doing exactly that.

and silky smooth It sounds no matter what you play

There are components that make everything sound the same. I tend to avoid those as I prefer a component that just get out of the way.

When you say that the Brooklyn makes everything sound "silky smooth", it could very well be that the Brooklyn is just glossing everything over. But I doubt that Mytek would do something like that. My point is that just hearing that a component is "silky smooth" is not enough to go on.

(I even enjoyed Slayer and motorhead with no fatigue)

There you go! That's exactly the kind of example I was looking for. This is a very big deal.

I think that you owe It to your self to think about what you are really after and what you realky like, Nobody In this thread I think can help you more responsibly and effectively than your self.

I know exactly what I'm hoping to improve upon. I'm just hoping to hear reports indicating that I will get exactly what I want and enough of it from the Brooklyn. I think I may have to spend a lot more than the Brooklyn to get the kind of improvements I'm hoping to get. It would be great if that's not the case. Your reports make me optimistic, I'm just looking for more detail.

I really do appreciate all you've offered so far. It sounds like you are very happy with the Brooklyn and that's great. I apologize for taking this so far off track.

Hi Michal from Mytek... Am very interested in the Brooklyn DAC, but have a couple questions that perhaps you could clarify for me....

1. I note the specs say the XLR and RCA outputs can operate simultaneously. In this case does the XLR output remain in balanced operation? And is there any loss of sound quality?

2. Can you confirm if the Brooklyn responds to USB HID volume control when connected via USB to a Mac OSX computer?

Thanks...