IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

I read nice news Peter!

Your Christmas present has arrived! It looks nice and I'm looking forward for an audition of new lovely dac!

Have you made any auditions yet? ( I'm sure you did! Consider my question as a curiosity expresion )

I'm so anxious to liten how it performs.

Can someone post a picture of the display when playing? I'd like to see the final version. Thanks!

Τhe display changes radically depending on the function chosen so one picture would not be enough. It has two modes though one more eye catching (the known one where nothing has changed) and one more discrete. I'll post some pics when I return home on Sunday.

I read nice news Peter!

Your Christmas present has arrived! It looks nice and I'm looking forward for an audition of new lovely dac!

Have you made any auditions yet? ( I'm sure you did! Consider my question as a curiosity expresion )

I'm so anxious to liten how it performs.

Thanks Panos! You can read my first impressions in previous posts of mine in this thread. I'll arrange for a meeting as soon as possible.

The power supply is of switching type so no transformer whatsoever..

Really? Ugh.

I guess they include a provision for an external supply to allow use of a proper linear supply.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Yup there is. But do not underestimate the power of switchng psus. They can better battery psu's nowadays and always have been very efficient!

I understand the benefits when considering a single component. But the component is just one part of a system. And some systems are more sensitive to noise than others.

Eliminating switching supplies from my system has paid dividends. I am reluctant to introduce another, as unfortunately my system is sensitive to such things.

It's probably a non-issue as you mention hearing no hardness.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Battery PSUs are worse than good linear PSU. Batteries are noisy and most of the time fairly high impedance source...

Your comment surprises me.

I'm very interested though on it. I would like to see a set of measurements and some case studies, proving what you said about noise and batteries mostly to understand the source of noise created by a battery. About high impedance I've nothing to say. It's power source has its properties and circuits are designed to worked with these two things.

Battery PSUs are worse than good linear PSU. Batteries are noisy and most of the time fairly high impedance source...

There are always good battery psus and bad battery psus.Same goe swr switch psus. There are the cheap chnese ones which most of the time are disastrous and there are the carefully applied ones which at least in siurce cimponents can be a very good alternative to a good linear psu especially If low noise, cost effectiveness and power efficiency must be combined.

The manhattan is a good example is a good example of what a good beefy linear psu can achieve. It doess sound bigger and bolder than the 192 but is not very different and It costs three tomes more (ok not only because of the better psu)

What I mean to say is that obviously to maintain that SQ, features abd potentian in a dac that has to be affordable like the Manhattan a good switch psu is not simething to be afraid of

I have a Brooklyn DAC on pre-order, would it be wise to purchase an external LPSU?

It seems like it may provide increased sound quality/performance?

Also, what voltage and amp would be best? Any suggestions on which external LPSU would be a good match for the Brooklyn and a good value price vs. performance?

A question to Mytek support would be the safest way to get a valid answer. My suggestion is enjoy It as It is. It is very good on Its own and doesnt need an external Psu. If you do not like It (something very difficult but we are not all the same) I am afraid the bigger - Better ( ; ) psu will not fix It for you. I always believe that the chioces made by the manufacturer are the best ones and better balanced for the price paid. To better them would require a lot of experience and knowledge and for sure more money than we think.. Mytek are a very experienced company in digital audio there is no reason not to trust their choices esbecially not before you get your dac..

I myself have contacted Mytek Support and got the answer that they do not plan to release an ourboard psu as an upgrade there fore I assumed It wasnt needed. Mu little experience with It sofar convinced me I assumed right.

I am not saying that the probability of adding an external psu is not intriguing and an interesting field for experimentation in the years I willhave It. But there is absolutely no sonic motive to make me do so now and absolutely no reason to be hysterical and give In to premonitions about switching psus.

Another manufacturer Ifi are advertising and selling a switching psu as an upgrade to even their battery powered products and their phono stages! I have tried and tested it and can confirm It works as It is an essential part of my i USB 3.0. Technology moves on and we must be open minded. After all we should as computer audiophiles experiencing a pioneering and constantly evolving new way of audio reproduction.

Sorry, I'd have to say the opposite. If Mytek are including a connection for an external PSU, then they must think the possibility of SQ improvement exists, even though it may not be large. The fact that they aren't marketing their own PSU doesn't prove anything - it's a very competitive area that they may think it isn't worthwhile it compete in.

That said, I'd suggest this. Get your DAC. Get used to the sound over a long period. Try to find a good PSU you can borrow or return if not satisfied. Try new PSU and see if you hear a difference. And if difference is worth the cost of the PSU. Return if not.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I agree that since they included the option to add an external LPSU, that they must believe that it could / should provide an improvement to sound quality and performance.

I have not yet received the Brooklyn DAC and it will be my first DAC, thus I'm not sure I will know the difference with/without upfront.

However, as I have been researching Music Servers (I am also awaiting delivery of an Aurender N100H) and DAC's, I have definitely noticed that adding an external LPSU seems to be generally recognized as providing improved sound quality and performance (3rd party LPSU and models that come with one or offer it as an upgrade option).

Thanks everyone thus far for continued help/ advice, etc.

Firedog - yes, this is exactly my thinking. As a default position, I'm just wary of switchmode hash injection back into the system, let alone specific performance on, here, the Brooklyn.

What are the Brooklyn's required ext psu specs? - what does the manual say?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Firedog - yes, this is exactly my thinking. As a default position, I'm just wary of switchmode hash injection back into the system, let alone specific performance on, here, the Brooklyn.

What are the Brooklyn's required ext psu specs? - what does the manual say?

If you use an advanced power strip that isolates each socket from the others, don't you prevent the hash injection back into the system issue?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have a few issues with my 3 days old Brooklyn DAC, connected via USB to a OS X Mac and XLR active speakers.

- Volume won't change after switching the DAC off/on. I have to change the output to i.e. HP and back to XLR to get it work.

- The display flips from 32bit to 28bit rapidly.

- The Apple remote doesn't work. There is just the option RC5 or NEC to enable it.

- MytekControl (1.0.0 Windows) doesn't work either.

Looks like their firmware and software is very buggy :(

Can anyone confirm that?

Today I had the time to really test and evaluate it.

Unfortunately i have to confirm your claims.

After 48 hours my initial impressions that something goofy went on in the way It reproduces music (i have allready mentioned that discretely) have unfortunately been confirmed.

It seems to empasize certain parts of a recording while throwing others in the background rendering It's own interperetation totally messing up some recordings and making others sound unfammiliar..

For example in the song "60 feet tall" by "The dead Weather" It was as if I was listening the recording through the singers booth and guitars which normally sound very loud and airy in this recording were playing like outside the soundproof vocal booth, barely audible.. Also the distinctive reverb in the singer's voice was totally gone truly as If I was In the booth listening to her recording her voice. I don't know how the Brooklyn did that but that glorious recording has been completely messed up.. Also the only functioning digital input is the usb, spdif seemed to lock up in the display but did not produce any sound..

Allright I am not crazy (but almost went crazy during these days) i know what I wrote. It did sound warm and non fatiguing and opened up after the first few hours but after leaving it to play continuously for 48 hours and trying another digital input (the spdif which did not function properly) and the rca as well the balanced outputs to make sure, I can now certainly say that something is seriously wrong with the way this dac reproduces music. Also a comparison with the Ifi i dsd micro my other dac left me disappointed since the Mytek may sound more dynamic but despite that It did sound goofy and wrong and left me puzzled to say the least.

Apparently we have a very premature release here but I would advise anybody thinking of getting It to hold their horses until It matures. I have contacted Mytek Support and am waiting for a reply.

I'll post again when i have something new to say..