IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Im still an Mytek 192 DSD owner but this will be the first and last product from them.

Its not about the sound quality as a DAC only unit (preamp and headphone amp are... lets say... average) which is the best I have heard in that price range and far above, its about their drivers.

They are even not able to do a driver for MAC - USB Systems. They know about the problems they have since last OS X and its even worse (no sound at all) with latest OS X.

It doesn't matter to me if some say FW sounds better or FW is better in any other way... no, its not... FW IS DEAD as long as you don't use it in older recording studio and their next - newer equipment won't be FW, either.

For a company who tells me something about "professional use" its really weak to not be able to program a new driver in about 2 years now what works.

And all you hear after ticket number 143287584 is ... "we are working on".

So, what will be the next driver problem? Getting the next new OS X next year and even the newest Product won't work and all you hear is "please be patient" "we working on"?

And no, there is nothing really special on new OS X Systems and ALL other "professionel" suppliers like rme, apogee, prism sound and so on have no driver problems or have a new driver.

Its like advertising says: Power is NOTHING without control... The best DAC is nothing without proper drivers

New Brooklyn DAC is driverless for OSX

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Maybe Im wrong, but till now I never saw a good integration of USB2 or Usb3 without drivers using asynchronous USB, especially in professional usage.

How would you tell your System which clock you wanna use?

And even if so... My Question again:

What happens if you need a driver for the next OS or even Windows? They aren't able to do one !

And they gave me the best answer about FW you can get... They don't even use it anymore at THEIR own newest product !

So, Firewire must be really up to date ;)

This would mean to me and maybe a lot other users...

I have to sell my Oyaide FW cable and my TB to FW adaptor, which I first only bought to update my 192 DSD and now use to even get a tone out of it, to go back to a usb cable what I already sold... hmm... THIS is really professional ;)

And even if so... My Question again:

What happens if you need a driver for the next OS or even Windows? They aren't able to do one !

I don't know about proffesional clocks etc but from now on the USB audio driver is embeded in the OSX this means that with the last generation usb interfaces (firewire is gonne for good, for good or worse) XMOS type etc there is NOT any need for driver not now and not in the future...

The driver problem was a big issue for other companies too like M2Tech but with their last, driverless, products this issue does not exist any more!

This is a factor that made the DSD192 "show" its age!

On Win it is another matter... Drivers will always be needed as it seems! Microsoft is not willing to take the driverless route for their own reasons I suppose...

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

New Brooklyn DAC is driverless for OSX

No that means it works natively in Osx it doesn't need a driver. Only windows needs a driver

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

The fact that Brooklyn is driverless in OSX is GOOD news. That means a driver is not needed to install, and that it is liklely USB Audio Class 2 compliant, meaning it will also be friendly (acceptable) to Linux streamers like Auralic Aries, Aurender, Sonore Rendu, etc.

The fact that Brooklyn is driverless in OSX is GOOD news. That means a driver is not needed to install, and that it is liklely USB Audio Class 2 compliant, meaning it will also be friendly (acceptable) to Linux streamers like Auralic Aries, Aurender, Sonore Rendu, etc.

From Mytek web store, Brooklyn DAC page:

USB2 Class 2 interface (no drivers for Mac, Linux, or Linux based streamers, Native DSD ASIO Drivers for Windows)

So again, no drivers needed except for Windows.

Maybe Im wrong, but till now I never saw a good integration of USB2 or Usb3 without drivers using asynchronous USB, especially in professional usage.

Pro interfaces are not going for USB, but rather for Thunderbolt and Ethernet as interface media. Although there is still lot of Firewire hardware on the market.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

That they use a for now embedded Kernel for OS X doesn't mean that you will never again need a driver for and for Win you will never see a driverless integration.

And... driverless doesn't say its a better integration, its easier... thats it.

I don't say they can't do good hardware... I already said what I think about the sq of the DAC part, but software sides they maybe should learn a bit

The Brooklyn is a dual role device with one foot on the pro world and one foot on the consumer audio (hi-fi) world. Including It in their hi-fi range boldly states that even though It is made to stand on it's own in a pro environment the main market it is aimed at is the consumer one. Thus the exclusion of the FW port.

The majority of audiophiles find FW useless, I my self ended up not using It even though I could. There is no reason for a FW port in an audiophile device and I find it very logical to cut costs from It's rejection to include the phono analog feature which many audiophiles will find useful and last but not least to develop from scratch their own very hi performance usb receiver which means not only a SQ upgrade and much desired practicality (aka driverless function everywhere except windows) but also complete control of hardware and software in their devices the lack of which was a main drawback in the 192 where they were in the "mercy" of TC electronic and Rigisystems for their driver upgrades which could mean months of nerve wrecking delays..

In my experience half of a dac's performance is owed to it's asynchronous usb receiver quality. Developing their own solution from scratch and not by using any standard chip like XMOS makes me hopeful not only for a sonic upgrade from the 192 but also for the even further development of the Brooklyn's SQ in future firmware upgrades, considering their great experience in their sector. Not to mention the much desired less idiosyncratic USB 2.0 compatibility which could be a pain in the neck in It's predecessor especially for mac users like me.

So all the FW friends out there must surely look elsewhere and If they still want Mytek they should either choose the much more expensive Manhattan or the much cheaper 192 which I must admit functioned steadily as a trane from it's fw port. Actually I believe It was initially made to primarily work through fw (but not so through It's usb port) but the evolution In the audio especially consumer audio world had other plans and the increased rate of USB driver as well as functionality updates clearly states that they made most of their efforts toward this direction. Actually in all their demos in exhibitions as well as their multichannel setups they used USB 2.0 exclusively which in my opinion clearly states that they got the message.

As for the future of pro connectivity solutions it is not in Firewire/thunderbolt neither in USB of any sort but in ethernet networked connection now introduced in the Ravenna protocol and made accessible for the non pro users with the very expensive and very advanced Merging Technologies Nadac.

Like it or not 22 years later after being first introduced FW is discretely but decisively on it's way to the museum and thus Mytek had absolutely no reason to include It In a brand new dac introduced in 2015 and aiming to be on the edge of technology in the next 5 years..

@Totsipaki

This is exactly what I said. But with this situation for FW in mind, why don't they take a few days to do a USB driver for the 192DSD ? cause it is possible for any chipset on the market

This would give me and a few other the trust in Mytek back for sure and maybe we would get back in the game and buy some Brooklyn`s and Manhattan`s :)

If I consider that I still haven't gotten my Brooklyn yet (next date is for next week...) I guess they were very busy developing and preparing the Brooklyn's to go out in time something that didn't turn out to be so..

I believe that when they get in line with the Brooklyn production (I am getting feedback that demand is so high that they can barely keep up..) they will continue to develop the 192 at least as much and as long as It's hardware allows It.

Keep in mind that the asynchronous receivers inside the 192 are not from Mytek but have been implemented from third party companies which may be of the best (TC Electronic - Rigisystems) but still they are different companies with their own priorities and agenda's which could mean nerve wrecking delays for the consumers which Mytek cannot do much for waiting for it's sub contructors to develop software for them.

That is the main reason to go to the Brooklyn for me. Not only future proofness and better compatibility but better and faster support as well since the software and hardware are all made in house. Sound Quality was already very very good and It's improvement alone would not mean much if all the 192's other aspects haven't been significantly improved..

During the three years i had the 192 I had many other dac's as well. Even though none performed as well in SQ, all of them with no exception were a better user experience. The Brooklyn is a dream come true for the average consumer.

@Totsipaki

This is exactly what I said. But with this situation for FW in mind, why don't they take a few days to do a USB driver for the 192DSD ? cause it is possible for any chipset on the market

This would give me and a few other the trust in Mytek back for sure and maybe we would get back in the game and buy some Brooklyn`s and Manhattan`s :)

The DSD 192 is going out to pasture - that's why it's being sold at a big discount at the Mytek store. Don't think you are going to get any new driver for it.

I'm not sure I get your negative attitude. They've solved most of the issues with the Brooklyn by making it driverless for Linux and OSX. I think the number of audiophiles who don't find this a very good solution will be very small. My experience with such solutions is that they can work very well, and as well as many bespoke solutions - and with fewer issues.

Guess what...

Nice! Will be interesting to hear your thoughts

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

The good thing is I finally got It. The bad thing is It is new year's eve and there is very little time to play with It.

For now all I can say is It looks much prettier than the pics and is really looking good . I will update with impressions and pictures regularly. I will try to post some unboxing pics before next year..

My first very crude impressions.

I have lived with the 192 for 3 years and have heard the Manhattan. The Brooklyn doesn't sound like neither.. It sounds very revealing but rather warm and very differently voiced than the earlier dacs which sound like little and bigger brother. I don't know.. It's a goofy feeling.. I mean I like it but It is different than what I expected, very revealing but very warm and something totally unexpected very forgiving and even though you can hear things in the recordings for the first time , this time It is not in your face like in the 192..

Right now. i can say two things for sure.

One you can not make this dac sound strident no matter what you do or play.

Two the device needs A TON of break in It has been palying for the past three hours and already sounds different.

It does not have that WOW factor from the first minute but after the first two hours of playback It sounds allready very realistic and musical but a bit narrow In the stereo image. I guess after 50-hours and some true, not hasty listening I will be able to give some more detailed and valid impressions.

Other important aspects of the user experience are:

-The user manual is hastily made and incomplete

-Τhe USB input which is the only one I have used so far works like a charm, smoothly and without a glitch. It was immediately discovered from my mac mini effortlessly

-No more DC noise terror through speakers during on off's. This thing is silent as a tomb in It's operation

-The output volume of the device is finally humane, no jumpers needed anymore for volume output reduction (even though they are provided)

-The device menu is very comprehensible and easy to understand. It took me 10 minutes to get the hang of It even though the user manual was not very helpful.

-Yes It supports interger mode.

-It gets warm but not hot in operation but come to think of It.. It is freezing where I live these days..

One thing is for sure. This dac is a good answer to all the chip (OR NON CHIP) worshipers. Even though a sabre device It sounds like a Burr Brown one or at least like the Burr Brown sound described by BB fans. It's complete lack of audio fatigue is similar to ladder dacs even though Iwouldn't dare compare it directly with monsters like MSB at least not yet. It has a lot of potential though and has nothing to do with It's predecessor...

Happy new year everybody.

My first very crude impressions.

I have lived with the 192 for 3 years and have heard the Manhattan.

Thanks for the report.

So would you say that it's a big of enough of a step up from the 192 that you'd recommend this as an upgrade path for 192 owners?

It will probably improve a lot more. Just curious about your impression from what you've heard so far.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Thanks for the report.

So would you say that it's a big of enough of a step up from the 192 that you'd recommend this as an upgrade path for 192 owners?

It will probably improve a lot more. Just curious about your impression from what you've heard so far.

Sonically definitely yes.

It maintains all the benefits of the 192 but without the tendency to edginess. After 10 hours of playback It is allready as good as the 192 was after 200 hours of burning in, in the staging width depth, 3d imagind, accuracy, dynamics, bass, and transparecy, but is also very tamed in the treble without being dull or anything.

Last night i was left with the impression that It was very different altogether. Today after I let it play all night I am quite sure It is just very easier to listen to but definitely a Mytek Device something good in my book as I liked my 192 alot. It just needs alot of breakin.

As a user experience it was a no brainer from the first moment. A pleasure to use and play with..

Unbx7.jpg

Unbx4.jpg

Unbx3.jpg

Unbx1.jpg

Stuff.jpg

I have a few issues with my 3 days old Brooklyn DAC, connected via USB to a OS X Mac and XLR active speakers.

- Volume won't change after switching the DAC off/on. I have to change the output to i.e. HP and back to XLR to get it work.

- The display flips from 32bit to 28bit rapidly.

- The Apple remote doesn't work. There is just the option RC5 or NEC to enable it.

- MytekControl (1.0.0 Windows) doesn't work either.

Looks like their firmware and software is very buggy :(

Can anyone confirm that?

I have a few issues with my 3 days old Brooklyn DAC, connected via USB to a OS X Mac and XLR active speakers.

- Volume won't change after switching the DAC off/on. I have to change the output to i.e. HP and back to XLR to get it work.

- The display flips from 32bit to 28bit rapidly.

- The Apple remote doesn't work. There is just the option RC5 or NEC to enable it.

- MytekControl (1.0.0 Windows) doesn't work either.

Looks like their firmware and software is very buggy :(

Can anyone confirm that?

I'll keep my eyes open to report any bugs that come to my attention but nothing so far. Do not despair. My other dac an I dsd micro was very buggy in the beginning but turned out to function silky smooth after a few firmware updates and improved significantly in Sq as well. My dealer has informed me before I got mine that Mytek are not completely done with the Brooklyn's software so expect improvements in every sector as well as features in the next weeks-months.