Make it sound better. Seriously, I own a nano and it works a treat!

In laymen's terms what exactly will REGEN do for me. I have the ifi nano MacBook Pro 2013, B&K Reference Pre amp and Reference Power amp 223w rms ch. and a 4TB usb3 WD external Hard drive. Paradigm 100 speakers

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Can someone post a link to one of JS posts on the thread explaining the concept please? It's just too many pages.

Alex: how about adding a few as articles on your site?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I said in laymen's terms. I'm not as advanced as most of you guy's and gal's but I can here differences. I have my nano up to 75% and my pre amp at -22dB and that seems to be the sweet spot. Many have told me to go to 100% on my DAC but at that I seem to get a bit of distortion at around -28 on my pre amp. Now I can't tell you why I can only tell you what my ears hear. Thanks

Reason for this final post on REGEN is because I'm in a place that I can order one on Monday.

In laymen's terms what exactly will REGEN do for me. I have the ifi nano MacBook Pro 2013, B&K Reference Pre amp and Reference Power amp 223w rms ch. and a 4TB usb3 WD external Hard drive. Paradigm 100 speakers

Jamesroy - I think that the Audiostream article linked below does a really good job of describing what the Regen does and references the contributions of the developers to the description. What exactly it will do for you in your system as an owner only your ears will discern but by and large the reviews are positive.

It might help to think of your ifi DAC as not just a "DAC" but a collection of subsystems that collectively are your ifi DAC - power supply, clock, chips, USB interfaces, volume attenuation, etc. The Regen helps to optimize the load associated with the USB input interface of your DAC so that it's inherent contribution to noise affecting signal integrity.

UpTone Audio USB REGEN | AudioStream

I said in laymen's terms. I'm not as advanced as most of you guy's and gal's but I can here differences. I have my nano up to 75% and my pre amp at -22dB and that seems to be the sweet spot. Many have told me to go to 100% on my DAC but at that I seem to get a bit of distortion at around -28 on my pre amp. Now I can't tell you why I can only tell you what my ears hear. Thanks

Reason for this final post on REGEN is because I'm in a place that I can order one on Monday.

That's still two devices acting a pre-amps into an amp.

Have you tried connecting the DAC straight to the amp yet?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

1) Why another Regen thread? The (literally) thousands of posts on the 10 or so threads are enough to get educated. Most of the posts (and, as stated, the nice Audiostream review, etc) are not too technical.

2) Why a Network forum thread? Nothing in the OP's system is network related at all.

I, personally, would not make the Regen your next move (don;t get me wrong; I LOVE mine) I would first figure out why the Nano, at 1.75V at 100%, causes distortion in your system. Something else is wrong, cuz 1.75V (even at 100 ohms) is roughly normal line level out (2V) so your downstream stuff should not have any issue with it. A Regen at this point, is premature IMHO.

That's of zero use now, because you aren't listening.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

OK here goes_MG_3241.jpg

B&K power amp and swithched power protector into wall AC.

B&K Pre amp, WD external HD and MacBook into power protector (or whatever you want to call it) but it does have an on/off switch. ifi nano into usb on Mac book. Kanex Thunderbolt to usb 3 adapter into Mac Thunderbolt and external HD into Kanex usb. Mouse into other side of Mac usb. rca's out of ifi nano into B&K pre amp. Thank you

_MG_3235.jpg

_MG_3241.jpg

_MG_3235.jpg

Your problem is more likely at your pre amp. What input to the b&k are you using for the nano?

OK here goes[ATTACH=CONFIG]20466[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20467[/ATTACH]

B&K power amp and swithched power protector into wall AC.

B&K Pre amp, WD external HD and MacBook into power protector (or whatever you want to call it) but it does have an on/off switch. ifi nano into usb on Mac book. Kanex Thunderbolt to usb 3 adapter into Mac Thunderbolt and external HD into Kanex usb. Mouse into other side of Mac usb. rca's out of ifi nano into B&K pre amp. Thank you

Forrest:

Jamesroy,

USB3 could be very noisy. Please try your music library from another non USB HD, like Thunderbolt, that is available on your Mac Book Pro. Or better FireWire, with and Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter. Could be a 'noise conflict' between your iFi Nano USB port and the USB port on 4TB usb3 WD external Hard drive.

I don't think the USB REGEN can solve this noise issue, because it is not a filter per se.

Roch

Roch,

It seems as if he has a gain issue, not a noise issue.

Jamesroy,

USB3 could be very noisy. Please try your music library from another non USB HD, like Thunderbolt, that is available on your Mac Book Pro. Or better FireWire, with and Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter. Could be a 'noise conflict' between your iFi Nano USB port and the USB port on 4TB usb3 WD external Hard drive.

I don't think the USB REGEN can solve this noise issue, because it is not a filter per se.

Roch

Forrest:

I don't have a non usb external HD if thats what your suggesting. and my internal flash drive on my Mac Book is down to 217GB available. Should I try another external. I do have a WD 2TB Firewire 800 usb2 hows that?

You could try another external, however if I were trying to isolate the current USB 3 drive as a source of the gain related noise issue, I would disconnect the drive and move a few familiar test songs over to your current laptop and play them locally. When using a pre it would be ideal to have the DAC attenuation at 0% (all the way up) and control volume with your pre. Using the other WD would maybe be the next step if I were in your shoes. What software are you running to play music?

Somewhat related, are there any other potential sources of EMI/EMF noise in the vicinity? TV's, dimmer switches, noisy three phase motors on the same electrical circuit, sources of ground loops? Might help to just "step back" and look at other causes.

Thanks, I'm using A+ My stereo is set up right under my TV. But none of my TV is in the same AC connect but other AC plugs close by about 8ft from my AC where my Mac and voltage protector is. And btw the voltage connector is very short AC cable about 2ft and not an expensive one. I'm on a tight budget, my main job as a grandfather is taking care of my two Special Needs grand kids. There doing as well as can be expected.

I'm a Photographer/Graphic Designer. So I'm now copying over all my Photographs from the usb2 external HD to the 4TB usb3 and when thats finished I'll copy my music to the usb 2 that use to have my photo's in it. Then I'll test again. I'll connect the usb 2 into the Kanex which is going into the thunderbolt connection if I can.

Use Firewire 800 between music HD and computer.

Try connecting the Nano directly to the amp and see how it sounds. Is it better or worse than with the pre-amp?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks, I was told in a post awhile back not to do that because my B&K is a balanced pre amp. I'm copying over all my stuff from a USB 3 external to a USB2 and will test that out. I'm ready to order the REGEN but after this morning a lot of doubt has been posted to me that it's a premature purchase at this point.

Thanks, I was told in a post awhile back not to do that because my B&K is a balanced pre amp. I'm copying over all my stuff from a USB 3 external to a USB2 and will test that out. I'm ready to order the REGEN but after this morning a lot of doubt has been posted to me that it's a premature purchase at this point.

Do you have the pre-amp connected to the amp with balanced cables?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Not sure if there balanced but at the time I bought my interconnects years ago they were around 100 bucks. Musiclink there kind that have the box on the cable and the directional arrow. Short 3ft. Not sure also gold connects.

Are you able to share photos that show the connectors at the ends of the cables?