How this[ATTACH=CONFIG]20468[/ATTACH]

Assuming you have the same connections on both ends of the cables, it means you have no worries about connecting the DAC directly to your amp. You can go ahead and try and see whether you prefer the sound with the DAC direct to the amp, or going through the pre-amp.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

thanks but that means my only control over volume is my dac correct? What would you do?

Why would you need two volume controls? In any situation where you've had a piece of equipment - TV, radio, whatever - with one volume control, has this ever been inadequate?

What I would do is try each and see what I liked better.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

OK but I guess I need to start out with the DAC as low as possible, correct?

Absolutely.

Thank you for your time. Since I went thru the trouble of moving my music to a usb 2 external HD I'll try that first.

Yup, makes sense.

OK I tested music from an external WD HD usb 2 and it sounds better with ifi nano max volume. I haven't yet tried taking out the pre amp simply because my cables aren't long enough on power amp and I would need to do some major moving around of my setup. I don't know if you were the one many posts back that said to me to hold off on the REGEN if so why? Thanks for you help.

OK I tested music from an external WD HD usb 2 and it sounds better with ifi nano max volume. I haven't yet tried taking out the pre amp simply because my cables aren't long enough on power amp and I would need to do some major moving around of my setup. I don't know if you were the one many posts back that said to me to hold off on the REGEN if so why? Thanks for you help.

I wasn't, though I would suggest you try the free stuff first (Nano at max volume, which you've done already; connecting external drive with a Firewire rather than a USB cable; direct connection between Nano and amp) and see where that gets you, before going on to the stuff that requires money. But hey, we're not the boss of you, so feel free to do what you like. :)

Thanks, I can't go firewire because I don't have firewire on my MacBook. The best thing I wanted to do is go just from my internal HD but it's a flash drive similar to SSD and it can't be swapped out. And yes I already checked with OWC which has very nice videos on changing ram and HD's but mine is a 2013 MBP and I have max ram 8GB and the internal is at 221GB. I was thinking of loading Photoshop on it because I'm a graphic designer and it would be nice to take this to clients when showing them stuff but we all know what a HD hog Photoshop is. Any way the change to usb 2 was interesting because everything left the same DAC at 75% and pre amp at around -22dB was harsh but when I turned up the DAC and backed of a bit on the pre amp it was best so far. I know your not the boss of what I do but you guys have much more experience and thats why most of us come to you with many questions.

Thanks, I can't go firewire because I don't have firewire on my MacBook.

But it does have Thunderbolt, right? And does the drive have a Firewire port? If yes, perhaps try a $29 Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter from Apple and a Firewire cable.

But it does have Thunderbolt, right? And does the drive have a Firewire port? If yes, perhaps try a $29 Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter from Apple and a Firewire cable.

I bought an Apple Firewire adapter and nothing worked in either OSX or Windows to connect to a separately powered Fantom drive (MBP Retina). Tried another two of the same drives and gave up. Didn't have any other firewire device, but cranked up an older MBP with built in Firewire port and the Fantom drive worked fine. Go figger.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Just a minor suggestion, You have everything resting straight on glass shelving. If you could try placing some plywood under your components. Starting at the first junction. Then progressively forward in the chain. If it makes a difference and it should maybe consider further isolation. Under my laptop I have several bits of ply which have been glued together, the central one being the thickest has random holes filled with silicone.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

Will Do, if I may ask one more question about connections. Now I have my external WD usb2 HD connected to a Kanex Thunderbolt USB 3 going into one of the two thunderbolt connections. But since my external HD is also firewire 800 I ordered a [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 300, align: left]Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter

So then when I disconnect the HD from the Kanex and use the new firewire connection into thunderbolt so should I put the ifi nano into the Kanex it because right now the ifi is going straight into the usb on my MacBook?[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Link to Kanex:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HGC82ZM/A/kanex-thunderbolt-to-esata-usb-30-adapter?fnode=51

OK I just received the new Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter. Tried it and sounds worse than usb2 from external HD. Yes the songs load twice as fast into ram or internal flash drive (whichever) but All the hi's are very harsh. No imaging in center. USB 2 opened that back up. So does this test tell us anything.

OK I just received the new Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter. Tried it and sounds worse than usb2 from external HD. Yes the songs load twice as fast into ram or internal flash drive (whichever) but All the hi's are very harsh. No imaging in center. USB 2 opened that back up. So does this test tell us anything.

Yes, it tells us all of us here are often not as smart as we think! ;) (And you should put it back the way it was if you haven't already.)

I had a similar problem. Quite frankly I could not have my laptop anywhere near my Ayre preamp or Krell amp. Whether it was plugged into a power conditioner or separated, e.g. conditioned / straight into the wall. Eventually I separated them and all switched mode powered devices were decoupled via a power board plugged into an isol ation transformer via separate outlets. I think you are in the same boat. So if I were you get a half decent surge protection power board and a 1 to 1 isolation transformer of decent quality and move your preamp and power amps.

OK you lost this newB at "separated them and all switched mode powered devices were decoupled via a power board plugged into an isol ation transformer via separate outlets."

"surge protection power board and a 1 to 1 isolation transformer of decent quality and move your preamp and power amps."

"Eventually I separated them and all switched mode powered devices were decoupled via a power board plugged into an isol ation transformer via separate outlets"

Move them how far? My pre amp has3 ft rca's going into my ifi nano so I guess the pre amp needs to be that close. But I need clarification the two quotes. Heck 2 days ago I was ready to purchase the great REGEN now I'm almost back to the beginning. Don't get that last statement wrong I appreciate the time you all are giving me to get my system as right as I can.

Kos this what your talking about?

I don't have a decent choice of other separate AC outlets (if thats what your suggesting (via separate outlets). One way or another if I follow these suggestion I'm going to have a very long set of rca's to go to my pre amp. unless you guys have another idea. I just can't afford the quality rca's I have now at a very long length.

Please excuse my photography but here is the connections so far.rca's.jpg

Is this what your talking about? http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Isolation-Transformer-Outlet/dp/B00006HPFH

_MG_3235.jpg

_MG_3241.jpg

Okay, I'll try to put it another way and I'm sorry I didn't want to come across being a smartarse. Lol. Computer's have electrically noisey power supplies because they reflect back thru your mains. Also they generate a hell of radio frequency interference and electrical magnetic interference. This can appear as fuzziness, distortion and even hum.

I didn't take it that way, you guys must get tired of new questions, I would, anyway get this one http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Iso.../dp/B00006HPFH This one looks like it can only take two plug in's so I can only plug my MBP into stand perhaps my preamp. So then in my wall AC the power supply and power amp.

My MacBook Pro is on a table behind one of my Paradigm speakers and about 3 feet away from my preamp because of the short rca's from pre amp.

Is this model as cheap as I should go?

It may only have two inlets, but although frowned upon you could plug a power board into it. I do and haven't had any problems. But I'm in Australia and our voltages are very different. It would be important to plug your computer into it. The next question is , does the Mac have a 3 pronged power cord or 2 ?