Meanwhile, the one other thing you can try for free when you have the time to spare is running the DAC direct to the amp. It may help, it may not, but it won't cost money.

+1 support for this suggestion.

I have used ifi Nano into a pair of Mackie 824 actives with good results (for me).

Small form computer running LMS and Max2play as a front end.

Two things to be wary of

a) the volume control is adjacent to the output cables (thick finger and thumb combo)!!

b) keep the volume control at full left when not using (it's a bit of a shocker when one forgets)

atb

Ronnie 68 English years. (these are different years to the rest of the world lol)

Jim,

Ignore everyone in this thread except for Jud. He knows more then the rest of this threads posters combined

As John Wayne once said in the movies, "Not hardly." ;)

Thanks for the compliment, but anything I "know" I learned from other folks here or in conversations/forums like this.

In fact, I would strongly suggest that you click on "Settings" at the upper right of each and every Computer Audiphile Forum page, then click "Edit Profile", "and enter all your system components* into your profile information. Then Save. It's easy, and that way everyone can review it if and when they want, to understand where you are coming from without a lot of fuss :)

BTW, I am the same age as you ! Welcome. Lots of us old farts on CA :)

* A lot of members also put a condensed version in their signatures (that appear under all their posts), which you can also do in the (Profile) Settings area, if you so desire.

Good suggestion.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Imo, I have used 12 or so days which have had volume controlling capabilities and they all sounded bad when used. Turn it up to 100 % and just use the volume control on your preamp. Then let it run ( the term is burn in) for awhile. After 30 hours it should sound better. After 100 hours it will be at it's full capabilities. If you get fuzziness hum or throng stick something under it, even a book. At least try it.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

Again spell check read I have used 12 or so DAC 's with volume controls and they sound bad when used that way. Turn it up to 100%. Etc

Hi Deano. What I'd like to have Jamesroy try is using the DAC as volume control right into the amp. If that doesn't work I agree having the DAC at 100% is generally better, though I believe Jamesroy may have said he gets some distortion that way.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi, Jim. The reason I'm suggesting that is he mentioned (I think) is he wasn't getting distorto on previously using a different source. Actually he mentioned not so much distortion but lack of focus, fuzziness etc. In my experience when you use the volume control of a DAC ( presumably a digital volume control) , once you go under 75% you start throwing away bits. So let's say he copies his CD's. At 100% he has full resolution of 16 bits/44.1 kHz which will sound good. Once he starts reducing via a digital domain volume control at 75% (still deafening) he has thrown away say 3 to 4 bits. At 50 % he has lost 4 to 6 bits of the copy/rip. I have settled on a NAD M51 And tried it that way thru a Krell using MIT cabling and a an audioquest coffee USB cable. Once under 80% my magneplanar 1.7 s really s sounded bad, focus went voices were brittle and harsh. And it was deafening.

I said in laymen's terms. I'm not as advanced as most of you guy's and gal's but I can here differences. I have my nano up to 75% and my pre amp at -22dB and that seems to be the sweet spot. Many have told me to go to 100% on my DAC but at that I seem to get a bit of distortion at around -28 on my pre amp. Now I can't tell you why I can only tell you what my ears hear. Thanks

Reason for this final post on REGEN is because I'm in a place that I can order one on Monday.

I don't think you should worry too much about how you are using the Volume control.

Read these from iFi-audio

http://support.ifi-audio.com/kb/file.php?h=zUe9Ck657GY4LbEVrj06L7OsG602rSGc7bf41bc9d83122c781e85f9b7eb6a5ff

and

http://support.ifi-audio.com/kb/file.php?h=AH7wOiW9HNl2vNg8AoH-6gFk7o4aNIXM9b37528090fa9ecb7665f7b175f1790c

As I have said in another post, the Dac works fine as a pre into Actives, or a power amp (don't know about the impedance match with the power amp, but you should be OK)

And if you find the setting you describe as the "sweet spot" works, then just keep using it and enjoy!!

atb

Ronnie.

The problem will be the hash caused by the switched mode power supplies of the computer, DAC and external hard drive. Also ( not to mention asynchronous conflicts) caused by using two sub devices off the one computer.

I'm pretty sure all manufacturers would say glowing thing's about their products. But the link didn't work. Sorry Ron. I'm just saying In my experience it's not the way to go. But each to their own. Anyway wishing you all well and I hope you can improve his sound for him.

Try the way Jim said and let it run even when you go out. It will improve Jamesroy in time. I'd show you my cabling but it's a horror show I integrate a 2.2 into a 5.2 home theatre set up ( meaning 2 stereo plus 2 subwoofers into a surround sound set up). Anyway how do I post a photo on tapatalk. Only been using it for a couple of day's.

Try the way Jim said and let it run even when you go out. It will improve Jamesroy in time. I'd show you my cabling but it's a horror show I integrate a 2.2 into a 5.2 home theatre set up ( meaning 2 stereo plus 2 subwoofers into a surround sound set up). Anyway how do I post a photo on tapatalk. Only been using it for a couple of day's.

94edd6d11121c8a6af77dc6920979d6c.jpg40da4310c2a58249308635d5c694f8b0.jpg

A try of a photo

Thats the confusing thing about DAC volume control. Every one says 100% but if I by pass my preamp and go straight into power amp won't I be at a very low volume control with the ifi?

You will only know when you try.

I recommend less talking, more doing.

I have a nano dac and the only way I found out how it works in different contexts, was by doing.

Enjoy

Ronnie.

Thats the confusing thing about DAC volume control. Every one says 100% but if I by pass my preamp and go straight into power amp won't I be at a very low volume control with the ifi?

I'm not sure you should pay attention to the 100% advice. From what I can see your DAC's volume control operates in the analogue domain:

http://support.ifi-audio.com/kb/faq.php?id=19

so can't affect how the DAC processes data. Sounds to me that above a certain (DAC) volume the output from your DAC is just too hot for your preamp and you are getting clipping as a result. An old fashioned analogue problem.

But rather than pursue it through 5 pages of speculative responses in a networking thread why not just ask ifi (they have dedicated sponsored area on this site) and your pre amp manufacturer?

Good advice, this was said on the first page.

I'm not sure you should pay attention to the 100% advice. From what I can see your DAC's volume control operates in the analogue domain:

iFi-Audio :: Support Ticket System

so can't affect how the DAC processes data. Sounds to me that above a certain (DAC) volume the output from your DAC is just too hot for your preamp and you are getting clipping as a result. An old fashioned analogue problem.

But rather than pursue it through 5 pages of speculative responses in a networking thread why not just ask ifi (they have dedicated sponsored area on this site) and your pre amp manufacturer?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz