IGNORED

Chord 2Qute

9 hours ago, jvs said:

I know they are not efficient speakers but do you think the 2Qute would drive LS3/5a's to low volume levels without amplfication? Would I risk damaging anything if I tried?

You might be able to drive efficient speakers from the output of a Chord DAC that has a headphone amp like the Hugo, but you certainly won't be able to drive any speakers from the 2Qute as it only has RCA line outputs.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

To try out your 2Qute with an interconnect cable and not have to spend time or money on a interconnect/speaker special cable, you can use one of these adapters off Ebay.  Although I built my cables for about this price of the adapter cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Banana-Plug-To-RCA-Phono-Speaker-Wire-Adapter-Cables-/311059749111?hash=item486c9b18f7:g:T3sAAOSwRLZUCNAx

Without highly efficient speakers say 8 ohms 94dB or more, your probably not going to get sufficient enough volume with just the 2Qute amp.  But it never hurts to try.

These Omegas are a perfect example, highly recommended.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/tower-speakers/products/junior-8xrs?variant=38555244684

or the big brother (I use these, with the ISO Regen/2Qute, more than enough volume for a mid size room),

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/collections/tower-speakers/products/super-8xrs?variant=38555364748

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

On 6/28/2017 at 1:54 AM, ttimon said:

So, have you had a chance to compare Hugo2 with 2Qute ?

I'm wander what's difference as I'm thinking to buy 2Qute.

On 6/28/2017 at 6:04 AM, skatbelt said:

Buying a new 2Qute (or TT) seems like a bad idea to me now that Hugo 2 is available. Better wait for the updated models because both are based on the original Hugo. On the other hand, buying them second hand may be a good option because prices will drop when there successors will be announced! Performance wise I expect (and a lot of first impressions I read point that way) Hugo 2 will crush 2Qute on all aspects despite it's lack of galvanic isolation.

I am also interested to learn more about the difference with the new Hugo 2. What's new and improved in the Hugo 2 other than PCM768 and DSD512? Is there better improved FPGA coding in addition to higher rates? Is the 'crushing' done on regular PCM and DSD64?

I do own the 2Qute (2 actually) and enjoy it immensely for what this little thing is. I have bought and sold quite a few DACs in the past year and still kept this little guy around. I have just returned a Sonica despite all that it can do. So I think buying a 2nd hand 2Qute is a right move indeed.

PS. No, I am not interested in spending hundreds and definitely not thousands to mod a Sonica. ;)

+1, for the explanation, I will try to listen to the Hugo 2 at some point 

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

• 1 month later...

Update on the test with the 2Qute directly driving the speakers. I first tested it with female vocals which sound good and very open but with more complex music the 2Qute on its own simply lacks control over the speakers. Went back to 2Qute > Cyrus2+PSX > LS3/5A

Main system: Jriver (OSX) --> ethernet --> Volumio (Raspberry Pi 2) --> Chord 2Qute (USB in) --> Cyrus 2 + PSX --> Rogers LS3/5a

Second system: Jriver (OSX) --> ethernet --> Volumio (Raspberry Pi 2) --> AR-T Legato --> Cambridge Audio DacMagic 2 --> Cyrus 8 vs2 --> Harbeth LS3/5a

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there fellas! I'm in a long time head-fier, but relatively new to the CA forum. Currently I'm split between two DAC's for my endgame purchase. You can assume since I'm posting in this thread that one is the 2qute. the other is the Auralic Vega. 

I listen exclusively from my computer, and 95% of my library is Redbook CD-quality. I also listen to headphones predominately, but maybe down the road will be able to invest in a two channel system. Any of you guys have experience with both units? If not feel free to weigh in anyway!

thanks,

joe

On the Run: RBed 128gb iPod > VSD3S

On the Road: iPhone 6S > U8

On the Desk: MBP > Atlantis+ > MAD Ear > PS1000/Nhoord V1

Sorry, I should've specified, but budget is definitely a factor. Don't have the fundage to drop $$$ on a Hugo2. Either unit, the 2qute or Vega will be coming to me via the used market. 

On the Run: RBed 128gb iPod > VSD3S

On the Road: iPhone 6S > U8

On the Desk: MBP > Atlantis+ > MAD Ear > PS1000/Nhoord V1
5 hours ago, JoeDoe said:

Sorry, I should've specified, but budget is definitely a factor. Don't have the fundage to drop $$$ on a Hugo2. Either unit, the 2qute or Vega will be coming to me via the used market. 

If this is an "endgame" purchase then I'd have to agree wholeheartedly with ecwl: save up for the Hugo 2.

But if it has to come down to chosing between the 2Qute and the Vega - I think that will likely come down more to your listening preferences.  Any chance it might be possible to buy both used and then keep the one you prefer?  Or maybe just go with the cheaper one keep saving for the Hugo 2.

I'll have to admit that I'm quite smitten with the Chord sound, so I'd personally be more inclined to go with the 2Qute.  But on the other hand, the Vega was priced higher and there were many positive reviews so it could be the "better" DAC.  Only you can determine if it's better for you.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

2Qute if your music library is CD quality! Incredible sound for the money paid! ;)

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Could you try and describe the difference?

Main system: Jriver (OSX) --> ethernet --> Volumio (Raspberry Pi 2) --> Chord 2Qute (USB in) --> Cyrus 2 + PSX --> Rogers LS3/5a

Second system: Jriver (OSX) --> ethernet --> Volumio (Raspberry Pi 2) --> AR-T Legato --> Cambridge Audio DacMagic 2 --> Cyrus 8 vs2 --> Harbeth LS3/5a

14 hours ago, guerph said:

I have both the 2Qute and Hugo2. They each have their own flavor, but I can't for the life of me decide which I prefer. 

Do you have a better external power supply for your 2Qute? 

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

• 4 months later...

Besides ElviaCaprice is there anyone else using an ISORegen with the 2Qute? If so what's it like?

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

3 hours ago, johndoe21ro said:

Besides ElviaCaprice is there anyone else using an ISORegen with the 2Qute? If so what's it like?

I don't use the ISO Regen anymore.  After modifying to a sCLK-EX server, I find it a detriment to SQ, but I do find the USPCB a fantastic USB adapter direct from my server USB PCIE card to the 2Qute.  It is as neutral as you will find.

Announcement coming Tuesday, Jan. 9th.  I suspect a new TT or/and 2Qute with the Hugo 2 update.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

22 hours ago, johndoe21ro said:

I'm still using an ISO Regen (but my chain is ISO Regen -> Audiophilleo 1 SE -> Chord 2Qute) and find it makes a difference

had to disable Regen's galvanic isolation, though, as it was causing 2Qute's "status light" to never turn off after a while it is idle

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

35 minutes ago, jvs said:

Malwarebytes blocks that website with an SSL protocol error.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

11 minutes ago, rickca said:

Malwarebytes blocks that website with an SSL protocol error.

image.thumb.png.d593f2c2e176120912152120318320b0.png

9th January 2018, CES, Las Vegas: Chord Electronics has launched the most advanced compact DAC on the planet: Qutest. A highly accomplished standalone device, the new Qutest is based on the latest proprietary Rob Watts’ FPGA technology developed for the class-leading Hugo 2 DAC/headphone amp. Qutest uses an all-new precision-machined aluminium chassis and includes several new features, including fascia controls.
Qutest uses the same award-winning internal DAC architecture and proprietary software coding as the Hugo 2, giving it proven class-leading technical and sonic performance. Qutest also offers Hugo 2’s unique user-selectable frequency-shaping filters and input selection controls, available via two fascia-mounted spheres, introducing useful flexibility. Qutest offers a significant cost saving over Hugo 2 (H2 £1,800), as it eschews the headphone amplifier, rechargeable Li-ion batteries and crossfeed functionality integral to the transportable device.

Qutest is the latest evolution of Chord Electronics’ most affordable standalone DAC, the multi-award-winning 2Qute, which it directly replaces. Qutest is uniquely equipped to bring the benefits of Chord Electronics’ acclaimed proprietary hardware and software technology to a wide range of connected devices. It features a galvanically isolated USB-B, optical and dual coaxial digital inputs, giving an instant upgrade to everyday audio devices plus the ability to modernise ageing digital source components. It also features RCA analogue outputs for connection to integrated amplifiers, preamps and headphone amps, plus high-resolution 768kHz-capable dual-data digital inputs for connection to Chord Electronics’ devices including the 705/768kHz-ready M-Scaler-technology BLU MKII digital/CD transport.

Future-proof: High-Res Audio to 768kHz PCM/DSD 512.

Qutest has been designed for static use within home audio and desktop hi-fi systems. The new design benefits from 5V Micro USB powering which offers improved flexibility over its predecessor. Qutest offers support for up to 32-bit/768kHz PCM and DSD512 via its galvanically isolated USB-B input, 24-bit/384kHz PCM and DSD128 via coaxial (BNC) and 24-bit/192kHz data on Optical TOSLink. DSD 64 to DSD 256 is supported via DoP and ASIO native DSD format is also supported up to 512.

The device features a Class 2 USB input which, because of the Qutest’s home-system orientation compared to Hugo 2’s more mobile aspirations, has been galvanically isolated. This has been achieved using a novel technique which allows for very high data rates of up to 768kHz; the input is driverless on Apple and Android devices, with (ASIO included) drivers for Windows devices.

All-new aluminium casework

The Qutest chassis is all-new. It has significantly greater mass than its predecessor and has been precision-machined from solid aircraft-grade aluminium billet. The Qutest PCB nestles within a shallow cavity in the solid aluminium chassis, giving the circuit board greater protection within the casework and additional isolation from external vibration compared to previous designs.

Qutest’s new square-edge chassis design created by owner and Chief Designer John Franks retains the popular circular magnifying porthole window, which reveals the custom Chord Electronics’ circuit board within. Qutest’s control spheres (for user-selectable frequency-shaping and input selection) illuminate with useful colour-coding information denoting sample frequency and filter used; brightness settings are user-adjustable. A further new feature is a user-selectable output voltage available in 1, 2 and 3V RMS outputs for flexible connectivity with partnering devices.

New levels of technical performance for a compact DAC

The latest FPGA and advanced WTA (Watts Transient Aligned) filters have been implemented in the Qutest, bringing a wide variety of performance improvements over the 2Qute in a number of areas. Performance gains have been made in timing accuracy, noise reduction and dynamic range and tap length, the technical indicator of how complex the interpolation filter is, has more than doubled compared to its predecessor, to 49,152.

User-selectable filtering option

A four-function switch filter, operated by its own control sphere, offers a useful degree of user-selectable frequency-shaping, bringing warm and soft or transparent and incisive presentations, giving additional flexibility and user control.

Technical specifications
Frequency response: 20-20 kHz +/- 0.2dB
Tap-length: 49,152
Dynamic range 124 dB AWt
THD: 0.0001% 1 kHz 2.5V RMS 300 ohms
THD and noise at 2.5v RMS ref 3V: -117dB 300 ohms AWt
Channel sep 138 dB at 1kHz 300 ohms
Galvanically isolated USB
No measurable noise floor modulation

Inputs:
1x Optical TOSLink 24-bit/192kHz-capable
2x BNC coaxial input 24-bit/384kHz-capable (dual data mode up to 768kHz for M-Scaler operation)
1x HD galvanically isolated USB-B input 32-bit/768kHz and DSD512-capable

Outputs:
1x (pair) stereo RCA phono outputs: 1, 2 and 3V RMS

Price and availability

Qutest is available to order now (black only) from Chord Electronics dealers priced at £1,195

I guess I am going to sell my 2qute + Sbooster & Ultra :-)

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

15 hours ago, soares said:

I guess I am going to sell my 2qute + Sbooster & Ultra :-)

why get rid of the sbooster and ultra?  the qutest is just a dac . . . 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > sennheiser hd600