IGNORED

Roon Sound Quality

Cemil

my feelings are same=i only use sQ+ USB from 2012 mac mini to 2012 gungnir rcas out to my main system

and since acquiring an ipad air 2 and sennheiser rs 195s the new TIDAL mac app and web browser from my main system with sQ+ sound is exceptional not so good with just ROON(sQ+ is not compatible) BUT using the RS 195's improves both! must be the 'closed' ear phones and proximity to my ears

awaiting the ROON ipad app

i use the rs195s and 598's both through my avr headphone input and the 598's through a MAGNI amp but that sounds harsh after a period of time

i listen to both TIDAL and Qobuz HiFi and to spotify and beatsmusic and when listening via my ipad wireless to 195's or ipad in my car using 'offline content' all sound really GOOD almost hard to tell the difference between HiFi and Beats/Spotify's much less than 44.1kbps

Danny at ROON tells me they are working on an Amarra integration but need more people to request it Ralph at Sonic says they haven't tested ROON 'in house' yet so we all have to prod both parties more but Danny says Amarra and other 'players' are just more 'clutter' in the stream between the music and ROON i disagree sQ+ definitely improves TIDAL over ROON+TIDAL

bobbmd

this is also for jiminloginsquare

bobbmd, thanks. I have definitely been in communication with Roon about why I want and would need Amarra Symphony + iRC integration with Roon before I would drop $119 per annum on it. I am simply too vested in Amarra and the DSP function of iRC to give that up for the (admittedly fantastic) user experience that Roon provides.

bobbmd, thanks. I have definitely been in communication with Roon about why I want and would need Amarra Symphony + iRC integration with Roon before I would drop $119 per annum on it. I am simply too vested in Amarra and the DSP function of iRC to give that up for the (admittedly fantastic) user experience that Roon provides.

Just curious but isn't iRC made by Dirac? I am not familiar with the product as I haven't used Amarra since years ago nor do I use Dirac. My understanding is that Roon can currently be used with Dirac. Is there a difference between stand alone Dirac and iRC implementation in Amarra or is it that you would have to basically give up on your investment in Amarra and have to buy stand alone Dirac. Not criticizing just trying to understand.

I too agree that the SQ on Roon is not yet up there with the best players, the gap even larger on PC based players but those gaps are closing.

I too agree that the SQ on Roon is not yet up there with the best players, the gap even larger on PC based players but those gaps are closing.

However on the Mac side SQ took a giant step forward with integer mode. Before there was no comparison but after! My go to player has been A+ which remains more precise and better separation of instruments on A/B. Despite this difference I'm not sure which I prefer! Its almost, dare I say it, more warm vinyl with Roon and more precise digital with A+. Very happy with both.

Just curious but isn't iRC made by Dirac? I am not familiar with the product as I haven't used Amarra since years ago nor do I use Dirac. My understanding is that Roon can currently be used with Dirac. Is there a difference between stand alone Dirac and iRC implementation in Amarra or is it that you would have to basically give up on your investment in Amarra and have to buy stand alone Dirac. Not criticizing just trying to understand.

iRC is integrated into Amarra Symphony, I imagine, through license with Dirac SE. iRC was at one time offered as an add-on. It's been a while, but I think one may still purchase Amarra Symphony sans iRC and add on later or not at all.

Other members who employ Amarra Standard (not Symphony with iRC, obviously at a different price point) have purchased Dirac SE's independent program and confirm the two programs work together. How well, I do not have the experience with Amarra Standard and Dirac SE's Dirac Live or whatever the most recent title is used. iRC is not a gimmick and provides impulse room control in a fashion that serves my needs given my music room is slightly imperfect acoustically. The problems I encountered are for the most part ameliorated and then some. iRC requires management but worth the attention. I imagine so will Roon if I were to come on board. And with the two programs in tandem, I can only hope it would make for a happy union, providing me (us) with the best of what both offer.

As Jim expressed, I, too, am devoted (my word) to Amarra Symphony with iRC and would not acquire Roon if I had to forego employing Amarra Symphony with iRC. Contacting Ralph or the Oracles at Sonic Studio may or may not have any influence as Sonic Studio, in my opinion, has their own agenda. I am pretty sure, Sonic Studio monitors CA's Forum threads to keep their finger on the pulse of member users' levels of highly-desired features. But regardless of the systolic levels tend to follow their own pathway. I commend Sonic Studio for the level of operations for Amarra Symphony with iRC. How integration with Roon may be regarded by Sonic Studio is unknown to me.

Personally, I'd be happy to purchase Roon if Amarra Symphony with iRC was on board in a state of (unfettered) usability. Can appreciate the complexities involved before, during and thereafter. For me, the subtext left unaddressed, it what plans Sonic Studio has for the future of Amarra Symphony. Given Damien's ambitious goals for Audirvana Plus V.2.X and beyond, the complexities of making V.2.X work as a stand-alone music server, what follows with the other players I own and use is fascinating, frustrating and a mystery.

If Roon, therefore, is open and willing to take on the integration or symbiotic usability with Amarra Symphony and that can be accomplished, my credit card is at the ready. And my systolic and diastolic pressure will be at appropriate levels.

Quo Vadis Roon? Sonic Studio?

Hoping for the best which ever pathways take me (us?).

Best,

Richard

+1

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

• 5 months later...

Sounds great on Mac Mini El Capitan and ifi DSD Micro

Downloaded yesterday with the recommended Strawberry firmware for the Ifi DSD Micro.

Followed instructions from the Roon support forum to use DOP. Seamless support of all audio formats and for me a better sounding option than JRiver 21 and Audirvana+ (retaining detail, excellent placement of instruments, full bodied not digital when listening to a variety of classical music)

• 6 months later...

Was there an update that improved Roon SQ and brought it closer or better than A+?

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

Was there an update that improved Roon SQ and brought it closer or better than A+?

Some users report the last update(1.2) has improved SQ.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Has anyone tried using a Sonore MicroRendu as the Roon "output" device from a PC or Mac running Roon Core? Interested in the SQ and if the user experience is compromised in any way.

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

Some users report the last update(1.2) has improved SQ.

FD,

IMHO the SQ of Roon (including 1.2) as a free standing player is not as good as JRiver. JRiver is still my player of choice with my MSB. With the T&A it is a different story as I am running Roon-->HQP.

Has anyone tried using a Sonore MicroRendu as the Roon "output" device from a PC or Mac running Roon Core? Interested in the SQ and if the user experience is compromised in any way.

The uRendu Roon Ready mode works fine with the Roon core/server running on a PC. There is no problem with the user experience provided you have a decent cpu power. In my setup, I find adding HQP to the equation add more to the sound quality. So basically I am now using Roon/HQP (both running on a PC) with uRendu in NAA mode.

The uRendu Roon Ready mode works fine with the Roon core/server running on a PC. There is no problem with the user experience provided you have a decent cpu power. In my setup, I find adding HQP to the equation add more to the sound quality. So basically I am now using Roon/HQP (both running on a PC) with uRendu in NAA mode.

That's interesting. Would u mind explain how do u add HQP to the chain? Do u play Roon using HQP which means that's your control point?

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

That's interesting. Would u mind explain how do u add HQP to the chain? Do u play Roon using HQP which means that's your control point?

Yes, play Roon using HQP and set uRendu in NAA mode. Pretty simple and yet effective setup.

Awesome. I'll get that a try as soon as I get the mR.

Do u play Roon using HQP which means that's your control point?

For me, Roon/HQP integration has yielded the best improvement in sound quality of anything I've done on the software side of things.

In this setup, Roon acts as the front end (UI, track file decoding, most of the networking stuff), and HQP acts as the back end (playback engine and NAA). So typically, Roon or Roon Remote would be the control point, which could be running on a tablet or a smartphone (with some limitations for the phone). Once HQP is set up properly and to your satisfaction, it does its thing without requiring much, if any, user intervention.

There are a couple of Roon Knowledge Base articles that could be helpful with setup:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/s/hqplayer

https://kb.roonlabs.com/HQPlayer_Setup

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

For me, Roon/HQP integration has yielded the best improvement in sound quality of anything I've done on the software side of things.

In this setup, Roon acts as the front end (UI, track file decoding, most of the networking stuff), and HQP acts as the back end (playback engine and NAA). So typically, Roon or Roon Remote would be the control point, which could be running on a tablet or a smartphone (with some limitations for the phone). Once HQP is set up properly and to your satisfaction, it does its thing without requiring much, if any, user intervention.

There are a couple of Roon Knowledge Base articles that could be helpful with setup:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/s/hqplayer

https://kb.roonlabs.com/HQPlayer_Setup

--David

Oh I thought it was playing Roon through HQP meaning HQP being the player and the control point. Guess I have to see one in real life to understand it.

Oh I thought it was playing Roon through HQP meaning HQP being the player and the control point.

No, it's the other way around, which if you think about it, is the way you want it. Roon is the one with the awesome UI, and HQP is the one with the awesome upsampling/filtering.

The aforementioned Roon links spell it all out pretty well.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Yes, play Roon using HQP and set uRendu in NAA mode. Pretty simple and yet effective setup.

I'm also doing that and it works great. Best of both worlds - SQ and UI.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Am I right to say SQ wise, Roon on its own isn't quite up there with players like A+ (Just like how I found tidal to be less detailed textured and spacious compared to red book playing on A+) And HQP is recommended to take Roon SQ up a few notches?

Hey Now,

Oh yeah, especially upsampling everything to DSD256. I use Roon/HQPlayer with NAA via a DIY NUC streamer and it sounds very good. Can't get enough of listening now [emoji39]

--

Finest kind,

Chris

If your DAC doesn't do DSD and PCM is limited to 24/192 are the sonic benefits with HQPlayer still there?

If your DAC doesn't do DSD and PCM is limited to 24/192 are the sonic benefits with HQPlayer still there?

Absolutely!! I use HQPlayer only for pass-through from Roon to my microRendu in NAA mode with no upsampling applied. The sound quality is superior to Roon to microRendu in RoonReady mode.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Up and running with HQPlayer/Roon/microRendu.

Wasn't hard at all, not nearly what I thought.

My digital signal chain now looks like this: HQPlayer running on Asus laptop along with Fidelizer Pro, SMG Sonic Transporter running Roon core with WD 4TB USB HD attached, microRendu in Roon mode connected to Lampizator L4G5 DAC with .7m Supra USB cable.

Asus, ST & mR connected to router w/BJC CST 6a.

LPSUs on everything.

Being brand new to HQP I welcome and appreciate any/all suggestions on using filters and other features. Not so interested in upsampling but I'll try anything. The Lampi does up to PCM 32/284 and DSD128.

TIA

Being brand new to HQP I welcome and appreciate any/all suggestions on using filters and other features. Not so interested in upsampling but I'll try anything. The Lampi does up to PCM 32/284 and DSD128.

With respect to filters, I think you should try as many as you can stand, but most people (not all) seem to like one of the poly-sinc variants.Jussi/Miska has said that the non-MP (i.e., linear-phase) variants are good when you want better rendering of spatial cues and the MP variants are good when you want better transients. I find this works for me — I like poly-sinc-short-MP for small jazz ensembles and poly-sinc-short for big bands and orchestras.

With respect to upsampling, I think you should try upsampling everything to 32/384 and DSD128, the maximum rates your Lampi will accept, and see which (if either) you prefer. As I understand it, the idea of upsampling is to get any filtering artifacts as far out of the audible band as is possible.

--David