IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

Maybe not so much off topic : aren't a good pre amp benefits coming from impedance matching ?

Kind of like - if one is good, is two better?

Off topic:

I was talking about my preference for not using a preamp with someone (running direct from DAC to amps) and this person stated his preamp made things sound better. I wondered if two preamps would make it even better :~)

Kind of like - if one is good, is two better?

Off topic:

I was talking about my preference for not using a preamp with someone (running direct from DAC to amps) and this person stated his preamp made things sound better. I wondered if two preamps would make it even better :~)

Continuing off topic...Matching the output voltages of the DAC with the optimal input voltage specifications of the pre-amp or amp are important and will affect listening pleasure. So I guess if badly matched, 2 pre-amps could sound better. Be a bit cheaper to find a better match of amp or pre-amp to the DAC, or even fine tune with different capacitance interconnects. :) Two other possibilities for a pre sounding different from direct: tubes, or a better analog volume attenuator.

The USB REGEN arrived yesterday and with expectation bias fully engaged and cocktail poured, I sat down for a lengthy session. I intend to try the little gizmo with each of my 3 DACs to get a handle on its capabilities and for my first listen I connected it to my Tranquility DAC. I started with this DAC for several reasons and it happens to be the DAC I've own the longest period of time (5 years). Suffice it to say I'm very familiar with it's presentation.

After reading the first wave of impressions from the fine folks here, I expected increased clarity and refinement in general. What I didn't expect was the level of clarity and refinement, especially in the bass. I started my listening session with the Charlie Haden & Kenny Barron live recording "Night and the City" which I've used to audition every change in my system for the past 4 or 5 years. Charlie's bass .. Kenny's piano strikes .. I thought "no way". Next up was Patricia Barber's "Modern Cool" for a nice "audiophile" test of vocals. Absolutely jaw dropping. I know, I know .. but I'm not kidding.

I'll be trying the REGEN out with my Qute EX soon but I'm not in a hurry to yank it from the Tranquility. I will likely have to order another. Best money I've spent on gear in quite some time. Kudos to Alex and John.

FWIW, Wireworld USB cables are available as short as 0.3M (11.8")

Chroma $26

Ultraviolet 7 $43

...and up

I may get one to try. I'll report back late next month after my REGEN arrives, and I've had some time with it.

Hi Res Digital Audio Cables

I found this cable on eBay.

It's connecting my desktop via an iFi USB Power to a SMSL XUSB unit outputting via spdif to a TEAC UD501. The SMSL input is mini usb.

I am surprised by the beneficial gains in clarity, channel separation and lack of grain in playback!!!!!. The gains are both at hf and lf.

I shall in due course make up some such USB A and B cables using Wireworld Starlight and see what happens.

If anyone knows of such short A to M USB cables, please post.ShortUSB.JPG

Wireworld HDMI & Wireworld HDMI Cables from The Cable Company.

I found this cable on eBay.

It's connecting my desktop via an iFi USB Power to a SMSL XUSB unit outputting via spdif to a TEAC UD501. The SMSL input is mini usb.

I am surprised by the beneficial gains in clarity, channel separation and lack of grain in playback!!!!!. The gains are both at hf and lf.

I shall in due course make up some such USB A and B cables using Wireworld Starlight and see what happens.

If anyone knows of such short A to M USB cables, please post.ShortUSB.JPG

fmak

Has the use of an iPurifier with the Regen been talked about?

Does anyone notice a difference with it (the iPurifier) then without it?

On what USB cable would you put the iPurifier on. Right before the Regen or right before the DAC?

Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition / Stax SR-009, SR-007 MKI, SR-007 MKII

Lumin A-1 Network Player

iPAD Pro / JRemote App

JRiver 21 / unRAID NAS

Has the use of an iPurifier with the Regen been talked about?

Does anyone notice a difference with it (the iPurifier) then without it?

On what USB cable would you put the iPurifier on. Right before the Regen or right before the DAC?

In case you missed it from another thread ...

I tried the iPurifier right before the Regen ... it was not until I did that test that I noticed that the iPurifier added a slight, yet very pleasing colouration. It was better without the iPurifier before the USB Regen.

If the USB Regen did not exist, I would definitely have kept the iPurifier ... it made USB listening much more pleasant for me ... I just found the combo had no synergy, so sold the iPurifier ... and kept the USB Regen as it is superior.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

First Impressions of Regen Amber

Alex and John, You SOBs! (LOL) How you du dat!!

As some have said there is more clarity, realism and definition of bass. But it is So MUCH MORE.

Clarity; For sure, but not with any sterility, harshness. There is transparency that must be heard to believe, because for $175.00 the level of transparency is, ridiculous, unheard of.

Realism; For sure again, but the Regen Green had it in spades so how could the Regen Amber be more realistic? I don't know, why are you asking me!! Go ask Alex or John! All I know is the Amber has more realism, so there, just except it and be happy, move on.

Definition of bass; Well hell ya!! The Regen Amber is all over this. Though not just the low bass but the mids down. But I believe there is more definition over the whole spectrum, from top to bottom. It is just that the "bass" area is more improved.

You can hear a difference as soon as you put the Regen Amber in but the opening up of the sound-stage and more is still yet to come. In my system it took about an hour for the sound-stage to open up and all the above to present itself.

If the Regen Amber is anything like the Regen Green than there should be some small gains to come with more hours on it, to a point.

But there is more. There is more body to the sound of each instrument. Instruments like drums, bass etc are very noticeable. But even instruments like the Clarinet, Xylophone, Tambourine, Piano etc have more body, yes, but are also more "fleshed out".

With the Regen Amber the instruments are more palpable. There is a presence.

So, in closing, Alex I have just this to say to you. Hi Ho, Hi Ho its off to work you go building Regen Ambers 24/7 till your finger tips bleed, and then some. LOL

And to John, keep giving, PLEASE.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Edit: Think about the fact that it's been pretty uniformly reported that the direct solid adapter connection works better than any length of USB cable.

Yes, I've seen numerous reports of that, but aren't the power connections and signal leads very close in an adapter? I don't doubt the reports at all, just trying to think it through vs a cable with separate power and lead lines which are individually double-shielded.

Can we consider a USB adapter a 'very short USB cable'?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

[snipped]

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Thanks Al for the detailed report

But there is more. There is more body to the sound of each instrument. Instruments like drums, bass etc are very noticeable. But even instruments like the Clarinet, Xylophone, Tambourine, Piano etc have more body, yes, but are also more "fleshed out".

John and Alex, you guys hit one out of the ball park !

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

Yes, I've seen numerous reports of that, but aren't the power connections and signal leads very close in an adapter? I don't doubt the reports at all, just trying to think it through vs a cable with separate power and lead lines which are individually double-shielded.

Both come with Regen and results have been uniform, but try for yourself.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Well there has been one report of a Hugo Chord user having worse quality sound with an adapter over a short premium cable (6"), but of course for a Hugo you need a male micro connector. I plan on trying both (adapter and premium cable) with the Hugo when I receive my Amber Regen in July. The adapters are cheap so I'll try a couple different brands. I agree that these adapters are not top audio quality. Guess we will have to shop around to find the best for our particular DAC's. Lucky those that can suffice with the included one with the Regen. If there are any Hugo owners here, love to here their impressions.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

It seems a bit weird to me, to suggest that an adaptor with internal leads perhaps 2.5CM long could do too much damage in comparison with a PC's much longer internal cable to a front USB port for example. I suspect that the data and power lines in that cable are highly unlikely to be separately shielded. With a PC where the +5V isn't needed, you could perhaps cut the red wire right at the plug where it is connected to the motherboard.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

It seems a bit weird to me, to suggest that an adaptor with internal leads perhaps 2.5CM long could do too much damage in comparison with a PC's much longer internal cable to a front USB port for example.

Well that's all before the REGEN and affects just what feeds it (who uses an internal-cable-attached front panel USB port for their music output anyway? ;)).

After the device is another story, and is likely to be much more critical and revealing of cable differences than on the input side of the REGEN.

The point of using the adapter--or some super-short true 90-ohm cable (where from?)--is to preserve both the greater USB signal integrity coming out the REGEN, as well as the carefully done impedance match offered to the DAC's input.

Well that's all before the REGEN and affects just what feeds it (who uses an internal-cable-attached front panel USB port for their music output anyway? ).

I would be surprised if some of your customers don't use it this way. There are quite a few PC owners who use USB audio, not just Mac Mini owners.The Regen may realise marked improvements, but I doubt that the quality of the incoming USB cable and the S.I. from the computer is no longer of concern. It obviously is, or there wouldn't be a resistor in series with the 0 volts line at the Regen's Input.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

??? What does a Mac have to do with using front panel USB ports? As Alex noted, one would hope that others understand that a front panel USB port requires additional cabling to get it off the mother board as opposed to a USB port on the back of the mobo.

I would be surprised if some of your customers don't use it this way. There are quite a few PC owners who use USB audio, not just Mac Mini owners.The Regen may realise marked improvements, but I doubt that the quality of the incoming USB cable and the S.I. from the computer is no longer of concern. It obviously is, or there wouldn't be a resistor in series with the 0 volts line at the Regen's Input.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Alex C had that big winkie there after that statement, so my assumption is he was joking. Also notice it would be quarter to three in the A.M. California time when he posted, so I don't think Mr. C ought to be held responsible for anything he said at that hour. :)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Also notice it would be quarter to three in the A.M. California time when he posted, so I don't think Mr. C ought to be held responsible for anything he said at that hour.

He probably just finished putting together YOUR Amber Regen ! (evil grin)

G'Night from Sydney Au.

He probably just finished putting together YOUR Amber Regen ! (evil grin)

G'Night from Sydney Au.

You're probably right.... Pleasant (audiophile?) dreams, my friend.

G'day all. First post here. I don't remember how I came upon the Regen but I took the plunge and mine should be arriving in a week.

Macbookpro running pure music into a TubeDac-11 to Virtue Integrated feeding Tekton Lore-s. In reading all the testimonials it's hard to keep expectations low. Mine is a modest system unlike many described here. I wonder if the gains will be similar? Thanks

My Amber Regen arrived a couple days ago and so far, so good. I am finding the same uniformly positive improvements noted by others with no negatives. Impressive. I will post additional thoughts in a few more weeks once I have more time with it.

One question/comment- with the Regen installed, I am finding that I am turning up the volume on my preamp a few clicks to get to what I subjectively perceive to be the optimal volume level (I haven't checked SPL's with my meter, but may do so this weekend... this is very likely all just in my head).

I am curious if others are adjusting volume up, keeping it the same, or turning it down with the Regen in the system?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

My Amber Regen arrived a couple days ago and so far, so good. I am finding the same uniformly positive improvements noted by others with no negatives. Impressive. I will post additional thoughts in a few more weeks once I have more time with it.

One question/comment- with the Regen installed, I am finding that I am turning up the volume on my preamp a few clicks to get to what I subjectively perceive to be the optimal volume level (I haven't checked SPL's with my meter, but may do so this weekend... this is very likely all just in my head).

I am curious if others are adjusting volume up, keeping it the same, or turning it down with the Regen in the system?

Read Melvin's post in one of the threads commenting similarly. You've got company.

Best,

Richard