IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

We should persuade Alex to sell the original Regen cases for another $45 shipped ...

Groan… It's the logistics that are a killer. I have so little time to keep up with the big stuff (and my e-mail), that while, yes, I could increase a future case order size (would have to be for September's run), by the time we are done with the processing (payments, boxes, packing, labels, etc.) of it all, we lose more than money, we lose time, which at this point is far more precious to me. So while I have a desire to give a big thank you to all our first adopters in the form of a case for their old "greens," I don't see it happening. Besides, strategically I'd rather have the "greens" stay in use naked or in a drawer than have them put in official cases and resold somewhere since they don't represent the current product and they don't have USB adapters and SMPS to go with them.

Speaking of which Adam, are you sure you can't find a way to use the solid adapter with your DAC? That 6" cable is really not the hot ticket. We are working on a different solution, but that is slow going right now as we have a complex project in from of it.

Cheers,

ALEX

For those that have no idea about any CAD, AutoDesk has a great online viewer which is free to use. You can upload the file(s) that I have sent and view the file. This is of course if you do not use CAD (but you know that already if you do).

https://360.autodesk.com/Viewer

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Jason, first thanks for your efforts re the 3D printed case possibility. I'm a novice, so likely have dumb questions: (1) what units (measurements) are being used? From a number of on line 3D printers I get the message that the enclosure walls are too thin.; (2) I haven't found one yet that offers aluminum enclosures so any suggestions in addition to those above will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Randy

audio.bill: Thanks, glad to hear that.

edn4x4: Before going through all of the effort to reinstall the OS I would try running AO again and then letting plug and play remain enabled. Then reboot and try KS again. If that works you can just disable P&P once more by running AO. You could also try leaving Core Mode altogether and rebooting to the full gui.

I am going to re-enable P&P briefly just to make sure that I am getting the full goodness of the Regen.

I am pretty sure that mine is working properly but with my Audiophilia exacerbating my OCD I cannot help myself. Only red wine seems to give lucid moments when I can actually sit back and enjoy music :-)

Just a follow up:

Happy to report I am running KS now in core mode!

Here is what I did:

1. I went back to gui mode.

2. Installed my Regen

3. Verified KS via JPLAY settings

4. Back into core, run AO, enable KS support/ I turned off p&P

play music!

For those that have no idea about any CAD, AutoDesk has a great online viewer which is free to use. You can upload the file(s) that I have sent and view the file. This is of course if you do not use CAD (but you know that already if you do).

https://360.autodesk.com/Viewer

Since an overwhelming amount of people didn't include their email address in the PM use this to download the file.

Now there is no need to send me a PM.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wrp7kpxh6ose4ht/AACvL7zJ7nwkJq-vPryXw1Waa?dl=0

I'll leave it active for a month or so then remove the files.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Very nice !!

Q to John Swenson :

I tried a simulation on a french 3D print site. They only offer ceramic (??), plastic, resin, pure silver ($$$) and...Alumide. It's some kind of nylon filled with aluminum dust. Good resistance to heat (172° C). Quite cheap to build (18€, about $20). Could it be good to go ?

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

Resistance to heat does not imply good heat conduction. I would ask specifically about this.

Very nice !!

Q to John Swenson :

I tried a simulation on a french 3D print site. They only offer ceramic (??), plastic, resin, pure silver ($$$) and...Alumide. It's some kind of nylon filled with aluminum dust. Good resistance to heat (172° C). Quite cheap to build (18€, about $20). Could it be good to go ?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Finally got my amber yeah. After 3 hours cookin' it is sounding very very good. Yes tighter bass but more than that: richer colors in the mids, air around everything. bigger sound space. I am comparing to the Regen green with a usb cable with a 3 ohm resistor in the ground wire. Quite frankly this a masterpiece. Bravo John and Alex!

It's hard to believe, considering the low number of Regens in existence, but there is already at least one third party accessory out there.

SBooster | Uptone Regen wall wart adapter upgrade

It's a Dutch made, unpowered PS add-on that simply plugs in between the Meanwell and the Regen.

For 35 Euros plus postage, I thought what the Hell.

I just ordered one.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I do not even know what to say...

BTW not even a word of explanation of what it may be doing if anything at all because taking in account the speed of release it may as well be an empty box.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

automated marketing

It's hard to believe, considering the low number of Regens in existence, but there is already at least one third party accessory out there.

It's a Dutch made, unpowered PS add-on that simply plugs in between the Meanwell and the Regen.

I just ordered one.

"The Sbooster is the innovation for improving the sound quality of your Uptone Audio Regen. With the SBooster the sound is deeper, the stress disappears, the emotion comes back and the digital edge will be a thing of the past forever."

:ROFL: !!!! :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I just ordered one.

You should have ordered this one for 250 Euros--it's better

Right, Alex?

SBooster | Uptone Audio Regen audio upgrade voeding

I just ordered one.

Adjusting the levels for two of those very dark images, they appear to be CGI, not photographs of a real object.

SBooster1.jpg

SBooster2.jpg

But that doesn't mean you won't get something in the mail - and what you get might improve the USB Regen audio, as advertised.

Thanks for ordering it to find out!

Mike

Haha, thanks for reminding me Al Jones! I've had one for years, just got it out of the closet and connected it to the Regen! :)

regen sbooster.JPG

PS: No this no CGI but a real photo of my BOTWS linear PSU (with integrated SBooster module) and a Regen!

You should have ordered this one for 250 Euros--it's better

Right, Alex?

SBooster | Uptone Audio Regen audio upgrade voeding

Thought I'd give the cheaper version a go, while I wait for the Uptown PS add-on later in the year.

But for 250 Euros, I can get a halfway decent bottle of Scotch, so...

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I do not even know what to say...

BTW not even a word of explanation of what it may be doing if anything at all because taking in account the speed of release it may as well be an empty box.

Hang on gentlemen:

Some explanation is in order. And I would not want to see an earnest engineer from another small firm bashed about in this or any REGEN thread.

Mr. Draaijer of SBooster did telephone me a couple of weeks ago. I believe he will be sending us two versions of his devices to try. And he was/is interested in our potentially endorsing them for use with the REGEN. I was polite and interested in learning more about what he is doing, and while I may have mentioned to him that we have our own plans for a PS add on, I did not go into any details (and what we are doing is ENTIRELY different anyway).

From what I understand of the SBooster/BoTW approach, he takes, in the case of the inexpensive in-line products, an SMPS and tames it with filters. Every SMPS has its own characteristic high frequency noise signature depending upon is design, and his approach is to design filters appropriate to each. He told me that he tested a Mean Well (either the exact one I supply or from a similar Mean Well series), and designed a couple of versions of filters for it specifically (though I do not believe he has a REGEN itself).

If you look at this page: HIFISTATEMENT | netmagazine - Auralic Aries und SBooster BOTW P&P eco

you will see the insides of both his new full supply for 250 Euros (it seems a nice linear with some inductors of both sides, I'm not sure what aspects might make it special) and two versions of his in-line filters that one feeds DC into at one end and gets cleaner DC out the other side.

So I withhold judgement as to the efficacy of the add-on. Perhaps Mr. Jones will have some comments when he gets one. I'll also take a listen when one arrives to me. I understand that Mr. Draaijer has many satisfied customers for his other products, and I believe that he is a serious fellow trying to offer value in upgrades to low DC-voltage DACs, streamers, and other devices.

Both switching and linear power supplies can be good or bad, and they both have strong points and weaknesses. Same for batteries.

I really do not want to fuel speculation about the crazy thing John and I are working on, but let's just say it will be a forth way, different from any of the above-named three.

Very glad everyone is enjoying their new REGENs. One young man in Southern California said this as part his comments to me in an e-mail today:

"The most beneficial gain for me was in the drums, as I'm teaching myself to play and I'm now able to hear techniques that were previously imperceptible."

That's really cool!

I hope to have time this weekend to fire up my system and listen some more myself (Pandora out in the shop is getting really tiresome; though the hand-picked tunes on the station RadioParadise.com can usually get me through an evening's work.)

Ciao,

--Alex C.

Both switching and linear power supplies can be good or bad, and they both have strong points and weaknesses. Same for batteries.

I really do not want to fuel speculation about the crazy thing John and I are working on, but let's just say it will be a forth way, different from any of the above-named three.

Ciao,

--Alex C.

I got it, I got it!!

The add on will be solar powered!

Wait, no, a small self contained Fusion Reactor!!

Wait, wait, powered by chipmunks!

No, it's John and Alex so it really has to be special and out of the box.

DARK ENERGY

Yea, thats it.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Super Capacitors + Ripple Eater ... maybe ...

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

As soon as John can herd all the chip(munks) onto the PC board and have them singing together in harmony. Looks like there will be between 130-140 parts on the board by the time all the circuits are done. So ideally mid-September, but please don't hold us to anything.

How does this Chipmunk configuration help people from overseas?

In my country we have some pretty stringent Customs people.

I believe Johnny Depp recently got into hot water with OZ Customs for smuggling his dog into the country ...

Thanks though for mentioning an ideally date.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods